Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

IIRC, there is no literal NDA, just an agreement between backers that the DFA stuff would stay in the backer-only DF forums. Tim asked everyone if they wanted to agree to keep quiet or if the info could be shared freely outside of the forum and people choose the former. So we COULD talk about it here but it would go against our digital pinky swear with DF. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Al! posted:

I don't remember signing an NDA. Was it in the forum signup?

Also one thing that bums me out is that I was kind of hoping for new music by Terrence Lee in the documentary, instead of music he already made for Dustforce. I mean it's dope as gently caress, but I already own that soundtrack.

I remember reading a quote from somebody at 2player saying that the production timeline for this first episode was a little wonky, and they didn't have time to commission new music from the guy for it. So they reused some Dustforce tracks, but later episodes will have all-new songs.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
If we can't talk about the development, can we at least make fun of some of the people posting there? Watch while I create an entirely fictional, but otherwise accurate example of the sorts of things you poor non-backers are missing:

Some Dude posted:

While it's clear that the artist Tim has chosen has some talent, and we can't completely dismiss him out of hand, the art style we've been shown is entirely inappropriate for the adventure game we have all dreamed of. I hope that Double Fine is willing to take this honest criticism to heart, after all - is that not why these Backer forums were created?

I've always preferred an art style that was more surreal, yet full of character.

:casually posts his own artwork:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Fintilgin posted:

If we can't talk about the development, can we at least make fun of some of the people posting there? Watch while I create an entirely fictional, but otherwise accurate example of the sorts of things you poor non-backers are missing:

You forgot to mention that all of the pictures are of ~steampunk~.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

HondaCivet posted:

IIRC, there is no literal NDA, just an agreement between backers that the DFA stuff would stay in the backer-only DF forums. Tim asked everyone if they wanted to agree to keep quiet or if the info could be shared freely outside of the forum and people choose the former. So we COULD talk about it here but it would go against our digital pinky swear with DF. :shobon:

I'm not one for making Tim Schafer sad, so please respect his wishes. Don't be the snitch!

I do encourage you to use this thread to make fun of the general public and the mish mash of mental patients who make up the kickstarter publishers.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I registered on friday and still haven't received any confirmation mail yet. This is annoying.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Hakkesshu posted:

I registered on friday and still haven't received any confirmation mail yet. This is annoying.

They probably don't work on the weekends? Again, I'm pretty sure they have to enter people manually. Don't worry, all the posts will be waiting for you once you get in!

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:
It's Tuesday in God's Country, commie :911:.

Hakkesshu posted:

Same. I'm slightly relieved that I apparently didn't gently caress something up registering.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I registered this weekend and got activated yesterday, so they are working through the list. Be patient!

nexas
Sep 4, 2009

nope

Big news for those who weren’t able to jump on the Double Fine kickstarter bandwagon the first time around. Double Fine is now letting people get in on the fun for $15. This will let you in on the same $15 kickstarter tier that was advertised before (the game, the documentary, and the backer’s forums). Sadly, you can only opt for the $15 tier and its payable only through Pay Pal. Aside from that you can get in on the action plus a free screening of the first episode of the double fine documentary through here: http://www.doublefine.com/dfa/

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Update, I was at Disneyland yesterday and went onto the pirate ship that goes around Tom Sawyer Island when out of the blue, I see a Tim Schafer hustling onto the ship the last minute.

So I rode a pirate ship with Tim Schafer.

He was with his family so I was really debating on if I should go over there or not, but drat it, I was on a pirate ship with Tim Schafer, you can't let things like that go by. I waited until the ride ended and caught up with him and said hi and thanked him for all the great games and he remembered me from the Brutal Legend interview I did with SomethingAwful (check the front page awhile back).

He was very nice and had his trademark plaid shirt on and a kick rear end Double Fine backpack. We shook hands and went off.

Then 2 or 3 hours later I was sitting at the Tiki Hut with my mom waiting for it to open when I see again, Tim in line. I was worried he would think I was a stalker, but he quickly said "Should I be worried you are stalking me?" then we chatting again a bit and again he is a cool and funny dude.

If you ever get a chance to meet him, do, he is great. I highly suggest riding a pirate ship with him.

I snuck a picture of him in line just so people wouldn't think I was lying, but I didn't bother him with a picture since he had his family with him. But I think it has to be nice to be told you "own" in front of them by strangers.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

AxeManiac posted:

he remembered me from the Brutal Legend interview I did with SomethingAwful

This is the best part. The difference between an actual cool guy and a pretentious rear end in a top hat is that the latter will never remember you because you are "beneath" them. Tim Schafer is awesome.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Well I see where our Kickstarter dollars are going! You're welcome for the trip to Disneyland Tim SCHWINDLER and LIEManiac! :argh:

That's awesome though. I'm glad that everyone's vision of Tim as a cool funny guy is pretty much the truth.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

AxeManiac posted:

If you ever get a chance to meet him, do, he is great. I highly suggest riding a pirate ship with him.

I am jealous. All I got to do was talk metal with Tim Schafer at a Brütal Legend event, but still. People say you shouldn't meet your heroes, but gently caress that: I highly recommend meeting Tim Schafer, he is a Good Guy.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

HondaCivet posted:

Well I see where our Kickstarter dollars are going! You're welcome for the trip to Disneyland Tim SCHWINDLER and LIEManiac! :argh:

Cue giant, color coded chart detailing the days that Tim is at work and days he is on "vacation."

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Al! posted:

I wouldn't say anything until I got a mod ruling, but it's just the forums that are behind the paywall. I mean don't repost links to torrents of the documentary or entire posts from that forum, but I wish people would discuss what's going on there here because the DF forums are kind of a cesspit that I don't want to dig through to find the relevant stuff.
I only saw this recently, maybe everyone knows already, but they started a Table of Contents thread in the backer section that will have all the major updates. I bookmarked that and Tim Schafer's posts and just pretend the rest of the forums don't exist.

There seem to be a few knowledgeable forum members, for instance there was a recent update about the engine that they'll be using and some actual coders chimed in, but there is already just so much white noise that I imagine can only get worse.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

AxeManiac posted:

So I rode a pirate ship with Tim Schafer.

Every story I hear about him is great, thanks for sharing.

The most exciting thing I currently look forward to each month are the video's on this game. I could listen to Tim talk game design and stuff for ages.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
You might have missed it (there wasn't an update on Kickstarter for it) but there was a pre episode 2 video put up a few days ago, in which Tim answers a bunch of questions that have been asked by forum goers and others. Worth a watch if you want to know what DF's approach to realeasing info is going to be coming up ahead. I really enjoyed the video's twist ending.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Ammat The Ankh posted:

there was a pre episode 2 video put up a few days ago

Michael Jackson confirmed to be a character in Double Fine's Adventure!

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
After weeks of back and forth, finally got access to the backers forum, and then immediately wished I hadn't.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

maxnmona posted:

After weeks of back and forth, finally got access to the backers forum, and then immediately wished I hadn't.

Let me guess, the level of discussion was so amazing that you immediately felt bad because you realized you could never be as shockingly civilized, grounded and well-informed as the people posting there?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

And/or are there just so many fascinating and informative threads that you now realize you'll never have the time to read through them all?

Postin this again as a public service for those with forums access:
Table of Contents thread
Tim Schafer's posts

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

maxnmona posted:

I went to pull some quotes to make a df.txt post and then I realized that it's the boring kind of stupid. I do like this one though.

quote:

I was wondering, anyone know or could shed light on this -

When the money gets to Double Fine from kickstarter, how do you think they would keep it? Leave it all in one account somewhere, or let some or all of it be put in some kind of fund so it will grow?

looking forward to what evolves from Double fine!!!

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

Der Shovel posted:

Let me guess, the level of discussion was so amazing that you immediately felt bad because you realized you could never be as shockingly civilized, grounded and well-informed as the people posting there?

It is kind of depressing when you realize most of the people in the world are less reasonable than goons.

I'm staying away from that place until they finish their design documentation at least.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

Saoshyant posted:

21 minutes long video update. Can only be seen by backers at this address.

Uhm, I'm not a backer and not even signed in to Kickstarter but I can see this, despite it saying "for backers only" at the top of the page. I think Backers can post a link that non-backers can click? Not that they're probably supposed to.

It's a pretty cool video, especially "Ron's dancing!"

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

RadicalWall posted:

It is kind of depressing when you realize most of the people in the world are less reasonable than goons.

I'm staying away from that place until they finish their design documentation at least.

There's really no reason to even enter those forums. Just enjoy the monthly documentary updates until the game is out.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

A shrubbery! posted:

Uhm, I'm not a backer and not even signed in to Kickstarter but I can see this

The video has since been opened to everyone so people can enjoy the first episode of the documentary, and probably pre-order the game while they are at it.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

The video has since been opened to everyone so people can enjoy the first episode of the documentary, and probably pre-order the game while they are at it.

That's episode 2

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

notZaar posted:

There's really no reason to even enter those forums. Just enjoy the monthly documentary updates until the game is out.

I really do cling to SA like a rock in an ocean of stupid. It's painfully hard to post anywhere else.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I'm really glad people are coming to this thread and posting updates. I backed several projects and I really don't have the time or sanity to check 4 sets of game project forums.

I'm totally down with making this thread a mini-df.txt. It's the boring kind of stupid but only because their idol Tim Schafer is watching so they can't let themselves go completely batshit. For instance I'm really "enjoying" this thread about how the Slacker Backer thing is a horrible sellout betrayal by DFA, that Slacker Backers should be second-class citizens in the community, etc.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

My favorite is this one http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/6941/ in which Some Dude On The Internet offers to help Tim Schafer write better.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

maxnmona posted:

in which Some Dude On The Internet offers to help Tim Schafer write better.

You know, this is precisely the stereotype I had in my mind when I thought of these forums!

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

AxeManiac posted:

I really do cling to SA like a rock in an ocean of stupid. It's painfully hard to post anywhere else.

I dont really get why every small forum is so awful but its made me an insufferable internet snob. I havent even looked at the Double Fine forums because I dont want my opinion of adventure game fans tarnished.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

the black husserl posted:

I dont really get why every small forum is so awful but its made me an insufferable internet snob. I havent even looked at the Double Fine forums because I dont want my opinion of adventure game fans tarnished.

It's because people are loving awful and need strict rules and imposed shame to keep them in line.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

notZaar posted:

It's because people are loving awful and need strict rules and imposed shame to keep them in line.

And these rules aren't "everybody be really nice and respect everyone's opinions all the time and tell them they're amazing".

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Honestly, don't bother with anything but the documentary videos and the OP of whatever is posted in the table of contents. Some of these art and programming updates are fairly interesting.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Shamefully restricted from updates due to goddamned visa card not allowed to be linked to pay pal account, but do share snippets of internet wisdom trying to guide tim schafer along the winding path of game making. Partial quotes will do.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

It's still mostly just boring as was already mentioned but I did like this:

quote:

i wanted you guys to use SCUMM. i love SCUMM and i think it would of been great nostalgia for those of us who played those old games.
SCUMM is an engine that hasn't been used or updated since about 1998, also LucasArts still owns it so it can't be used to make a commercial game.

The engine thread discussion got really dumb too since I last read it. They're going with an open source, completely modifiable engine that's been used in the past to make mobile games, so there were a bunch of posts worrying that the game won't be good because it's been used for Android apps in the past. Also one of the features of this platform is the ability to gather info from players, like Steam does with their stats, and this prompted a bunch of giant walls of words about how they don't want DoubleFine to steal all their personal info and ride off into the sunset with it laughing maniacally. Keep in mind as you read this that the cloud data gathering was barely mentioned, it all started because one of the posters read about it being a useable feature on the engine's website:

quote:

Whenever I hear the word ‘cloud’ I reach for my revolver.

This talk about monitoring player behavior to modify the product makes me worried. I would be totally fine if you used analytics during beta testing to perfect the final product, but doing this after the game is released feels wrong.

I consider every program that phones home data about my behaviour to be a form of Spyware. Even if this specific program is not sending any sensitive information it will contribute to the general trend of treating users as resources to be data-mined (if the system requires the user to explicitly opt-in it would be fine).

The game design should not be changed after the game is released. I don’t want to wake up one day and find the bad guys brandishing walkie-talkies instead of guns raspberry

I also hope the game will not be dependent on any central server somehow. I want to be able to play the game using DFA-VM in 2053.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

RightClickSaveAs posted:

quote:

Whenever I hear the word ‘cloud’ I reach for my revolver.

This talk about monitoring player behavior to modify the product makes me worried. I would be totally fine if you used analytics during beta testing to perfect the final product, but doing this after the game is released feels wrong.

I consider every program that phones home data about my behaviour to be a form of Spyware. Even if this specific program is not sending any sensitive information it will contribute to the general trend of treating users as resources to be data-mined (if the system requires the user to explicitly opt-in it would be fine).

The game design should not be changed after the game is released. I don’t want to wake up one day and find the bad guys brandishing walkie-talkies instead of guns raspberry

I also hope the game will not be dependent on any central server somehow. I want to be able to play the game using DFA-VM in 2053.

:ssh: I bet this guy has like 10 different loyalty cards to different high street brands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
"I reach for my revolver" is going to be my go to response for things I don't in games from now on.

• Locked thread