Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Paperhouse posted:

That's great and all, but I mean if you're not going to play a game because it is ostensibly not very good, then why would you give a poo poo about watching someone else playing it and reading its retarded and convoluted plot? read a book or watch a film, games are for playing :negative:

Honestly, Xenogears is more for reading. The story, setting, and music are great, they just forgot all about that pesky "game" part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

TehGherkin posted:

I'm in the exact same boat here, FM1 is one of the few SNES jRPGS I ever got round to actually finishing, but when I tried 3 (Whats the deal with 2?) I just never got into it. Do goons think its worth giving it another shot? Whats 4 like? and has anyone else got any opinions on the quality of the translation patch? I'd really like more Front Mission in my life.

I haven't played FM3 in a while but it was one of my favorite PS1 SRPGs. It does start off slow but eventually builds up as you start unlocking skills and mechs and stealing people's stuff.

Plus FM3 was the last game that let you eject and shoot at robots with a pistol

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
If you didn't like FM3, then FM4 isn't going to change your mind. Really I think the main reason FM3 doesn't click with people is the glacial pace of not only the plot, but the gameplay as well. I can't even begin to replay it after playing FM5 which accelerated all the animations.

Paperhouse posted:

That's great and all, but I mean if you're not going to play a game because it is ostensibly not very good, then why would you give a poo poo about watching someone else playing it and reading its retarded and convoluted plot? read a book or watch a film, games are for playing :negative:
Maybe you should go post this in the entire Lets Play subforum. You will perhaps get a more informative answer!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

voltron lion force posted:

This confuses me because while there is some stuff to do on the DQ8 overworld (rare monsters, treasure chests) its all very dull visually.

I guess the best way I can put it is that it felt a little more like a 'real' world to me, in as much as there was a lot of different terrain to cover. It wasn't the standard flat sphere RPG world, you were actively covering distance and hills and valleys. Possibly I'm giving it too much credit because that was about the time that world maps started going seriously out of vogue, though?

SSJ Reeko posted:

It's a turn based strategy RPG akin to Silent Storm about Cthuloid horrors in a WW1 setting... $5

Well, I'm sold immediately.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Stelas posted:

I guess the best way I can put it is that it felt a little more like a 'real' world to me, in as much as there was a lot of different terrain to cover. It wasn't the standard flat sphere RPG world, you were actively covering distance and hills and valleys. Possibly I'm giving it too much credit because that was about the time that world maps started going seriously out of vogue, though?

Well, I'm sold immediately.

I feel the same way about DQ8 and always hold it up as the best example of a 2D world map translated into 3D. It just feels HUGE and immersive. It's super pretty and it's fun to run to the top of a hill just to see what ou can see. I liked running to the cliff overlooking the ocean just to see how far I could look. Or on the beach, running under the huge rock formations. Just a pretty, pretty game.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Plus FM3 was the last game that let you eject and shoot at robots with a pistol

More importantly you could robo-punch someone out of their wanzer.

And then take it.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

dis astranagant posted:

Honestly, Xenogears is more for reading. The story, setting, and music are great, they just forgot all about that pesky "game" part.

I wouldn't say that, the fighting system wasn't perfect but it's at least as good as other JRPGs of the time. Combos were definitely more interesting to look at than standard PS1 attacks. Xenogears is also 3d which made exploring more fun than most PS1 JRPGs.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Has anyone here played Trinity Universe? I got a copy from a Sony rep along with some other rpgs and I've never even really heard of it before. It's clearly a niche NIS title but I was just curious if its worth getting into or not.

e: Anything about the quality of Altier Totori would be nice as well.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

e: Anything about the quality of Altier Totori would be nice as well.

Totori is a very good. The basis of the Atelier series is to craft items to reach various goals throughout the story. So you would go adventuring to get ingredients and fight monsters, come back to your workshop and make items, and then hand in those items for quests (or use them in adventuring).

Someone else could probably explain it better since it's a game where I typically turn my brain off and just do things.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Has anyone here played Trinity Universe? I got a copy from a Sony rep along with some other rpgs and I've never even really heard of it before. It's clearly a niche NIS title but I was just curious if its worth getting into or not.

Trinity Universe is really not a good game in any sense of the word. It's one of the Idea Factory games before they'd even figured out how to put any gameplay in there, so the battle system and world is very lacking in content outside of repeated corridor runs that just happen to have different scenery.

Totori is an awesome game, focused around time management, exploration and adventuring at your own pace. The basic idea is that your character is an aspiring alchemist who wants to hit the top rank; you get there by completing a series of goals such as exploring outdoor locations, crafting items from harvested materials, killing out of the way bosses, and so on. The game doesn't railroad you into this, it simply drops you into the world, opens up a bunch of locations, and says 'come back in 3 in-game years' and it's entirely up to you how you go about it. Along the way, you've got party members to find and butter up for their sidequests, an extremely involved crafting system, and a whole bunch of different endings available.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Stelas posted:

Totori is an awesome game, focused around time management, exploration and adventuring at your own pace. The basic idea is that your character is an aspiring alchemist who wants to hit the top rank; you get there by completing a series of goals such as exploring outdoor locations, crafting items from harvested materials, killing out of the way bosses, and so on. The game doesn't railroad you into this, it simply drops you into the world, opens up a bunch of locations, and says 'come back in 3 in-game years' and it's entirely up to you how you go about it. Along the way, you've got party members to find and butter up for their sidequests, an extremely involved crafting system, and a whole bunch of different endings available.

Pretty much every word of this is true. About the only complaint might be the protagonist; while Totori does grow into a stronger person eventually, at first she cam come across as a real wet blanket and might get on some players' nerves at first. I actually suspect Atelier Meruru, the upcoming end to the Arland trilogy of Atelier games, will be a lot better in this regard since Meruru is way more proactive, go-getting and chipper than previous Arland heroines (and really more like the classic Salburg/Gramnad heroines, whose games we never got (grumble grumble)).

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

Atelier Meruru

Oh, right, I forgot that I have to choose between this, Dragon's Dogma, and Diablo 3 in about ten days or so. I get the feeling it might win, but only if I've gotten bored of endless clicking by then.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Rascyc posted:

If you didn't like FM3, then FM4 isn't going to change your mind. Really I think the main reason FM3 doesn't click with people is the glacial pace of not only the plot, but the gameplay as well. I can't even begin to replay it after playing FM5 which accelerated all the animations.

This is a problem I've had trying to replay a lot of PS1 RPGs. I noticed it the most with Parasite Eve and FF9. In any plot scene, rather than moving and emoting as they speak like people actually do, the characters will, in this specific order:

1- Walk to their new spot in the scene
2- Animate whatever expression they're supposed to convey
3- Begin scrolling a text box.

It makes every scene seem really weird and stretches the runtime out ridiculously.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Defiance Industries posted:

This is a problem I've had trying to replay a lot of PS1 RPGs. I noticed it the most with Parasite Eve and FF9. In any plot scene, rather than moving and emoting as they speak like people actually do, the characters will, in this specific order:

1- Walk to their new spot in the scene
2- Animate whatever expression they're supposed to convey
3- Begin scrolling a text box.

It makes every scene seem really weird and stretches the runtime out ridiculously.

Oh god this makes older RPGs impossible to play

Even PS2 RPGs did it though. Anyone who played FFX-2 remembers Rikku's waving hands animation

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The main thing I find about older RPGs is that I absolutely have to have my hand on the emulator fast forward key at all possible times, or else I'm sitting there going 'agrrghh come on'.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah I was excited for FFX HD but now I realize FFX was slow as poo poo outside of fights and had long unskippable cutscenes before hard fights

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I'm fairly sure all the cut scenes were skippable, weren't they? I'm sure you could pause and there's an option to unpause or to skip

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Not in FFX, nope! Although I hope they add one for the HD remake/port/whatever.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Not in FFX, nope! Although I hope they add one for the HD remake/port/whatever.

I remember the answer is no because of that Seymour fight at the end of Kimahri's mountain that had like a 10 minute cutscene right before it.

gently caress that fight and gently caress that cutscene.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

Pretty much every word of this is true. About the only complaint might be the protagonist; while Totori does grow into a stronger person eventually, at first she cam come across as a real wet blanket and might get on some players' nerves at first. I actually suspect Atelier Meruru, the upcoming end to the Arland trilogy of Atelier games, will be a lot better in this regard since Meruru is way more proactive, go-getting and chipper than previous Arland heroines (and really more like the classic Salburg/Gramnad heroines, whose games we never got (grumble grumble)).

Totori's a bit of a bland character, but she's inoffensive at worst. She lacks any oh-so-hilarious goofy "character traits" and usually plays the straight man to the rest of the cast's goofy anime hijinks. Just keep the voices on English, whatever you do.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Troffen posted:

Just keep the voices on English, whatever you do.

Is this because the English voices are good, or because the Japanese voices are just that bad/insufferable? I'll be getting the game soon and I wasn't aware you could chose which language to listen to.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

Is this because the English voices are good, or because the Japanese voices are just that bad/insufferable? I'll be getting the game soon and I wasn't aware you could chose which language to listen to.

Totori's Japanese voice is just reaally hard to listen to, it goes up about ten octaves. The English voice acting is solid all around, though there are a good number of scenes that have acting in Japanese but are silent in English. I tried playing with the JP voices for a while but I just couldn't take it.

e: Though I do appreciate that they kept in all the Japanese voices, unlike some other games that give you a JP voice option but cut out half of it to match the amount of English acting.

Troffen fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 17, 2012

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4ixyzmUSiE&feature=relmfu

Basically her voice is really, really, insufferably high and ~delicate~

And so is Pamela's seemingly too.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Any point to bothering with Rorona before playing Totori?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Amppelix posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4ixyzmUSiE&feature=relmfu

Basically her voice is really, really, insufferably high and ~delicate~

And so is Pamela's seemingly too.

oh god my ears :gonk:

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Any point to bothering with Rorona before playing Totori?

Not really. There's a few references and cameos you won't get but it's no big deal. Gameplay-wise, Totori is pretty much just a straight-up better version of Rorona.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012
I just got the new Game of Thrones rpg today, going to try it out after work.

From what I've seen it looks like a bargain bin Dragon Age Origins set in Westeros.
This, paired with getting a terrible review from IGN, has me pretty excited.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Interesting post from the lead designer of the Divinity series.

http://www.lar.net/2012/05/17/the-grand-idea-behind-project-e/

quote:

The inspiration behind project E

I’ve been talking a lot about the Ultima VII games these last couple of weeks when pitching project E to the press. I happily abused them to explain where a lot of my inspiration was coming from, and what aspirations we have with our new game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFykiymYBSI

While talking about Ultima VII, it unfortunately dawned on me again that I’m really not that young anymore. Apparently half the journalists had never played any of the Ultima games, and several of them had never even heard about them.

I was a bit shocked by this, because to me that was like a fantasy book reviewer saying that he’d never heard about Tolkien. Of course, if you think about it, it does makes sense. Most of these guys were still trying to figure out if Optimus Prime really existed when it was first released, yet for some reason that hadn’t occurred to me.

That didn’t dissuade me from talking about it though. I consider Ultima VII: The black gate and Ultima VII: Serpent Isle to be among the best RPGs ever made, and in my mind there’s not been a single RPG since 1992 that surpassed them, including those now considered to be the industry benchmarks.

So why was I talking about Ultima VII so much ?

Well, for one, I was trying to explain that when making the first Divinity, my goal was to recreate the feeling I experienced when I played these Ultima games.

The Ultima games gave me a feeling I had never experienced before: that of totally being immersed in a world created by someone else. They were also the games that really got me into this business. I remember vividly the moment where I said to myself – right, this is what I want to do.

Ever since I started making RPG’s, I’ve been looking to recreate for other people the same experience I had with Ultima VII – it really is my drive. Now, in my mind I never succeeded in this but if I can believe the reviews and the fanmails, apparently Divine Divinity somehow struck the same chord for a lot of people. Which was quite motivating of course. The knowledge that even a subset of the original ambitions managed to satisfy players implied that if ever we succeeded in realizing the vision behind those ambitions, we might very well have a very big hit on our hands.

But as it happened, after the first Divinity, I lost track a bit – Beyond Divinity definitely wasn’t as good as Divine Divinity, and I always regretted making that one, even if it got ok reviews. Then the second mistake was made – the joys of console development steered Divinity II far away from the original idea, and so many compromises were made in that game that what shipped was but a shadow of what I had envisioned it to be.

While some of that was rectified it with the release of Divinity II: Dragon Knight Saga, in truth there are only a few gameplay moments in there that come close to the reason I set up this company.

So I explained to the journalists that with project E, I wanted to rectify that. When I’ll be playing the final version of project E, I hope that I’m going to get my Ultima VII vibe back, the method being recreating all of the values present in these masterpieces, and then taking it one step further.

Exactly how we intend to this you’ll discover soon enough, that means latest within a couple of weeks though I expect the news will break sooner. I’m quite nervous about how you all will react,because you’ll see we’re taking some risks, but you’ll also notice that we’ll be on very familiar ground. And you’ll also discover that project E really was a misnomer, it should be project D, but we had that one already

Interesting how open he is about his disappointments with Divinity II (which was still pretty drat awesome) and his ambition for his next game, wanting to rival Ultima VII.

I'm really looking forward to hearing what they're goals are.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
How the poo poo can you be a game journalist without knowing what Ultima is. Holy poo poo. This actually makes me angry beyond a 'dang kids' way, because this is poo poo you should know in your profession. What the christ.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Morpheus posted:

How the poo poo can you be a game journalist without knowing what Ultima is. Holy poo poo. This actually makes me angry beyond a 'dang kids' way, because this is poo poo you should know in your profession. What the christ.

The last Ultima release of any relevance was what 1999? It's hardly relevant to the modern gaming market that you should know what Ultima is off-hand.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Not knowing what it is shows a complete disinterest in the field you are reporting on. You have to be utterly removed from the fans and gaming discussion to not know what Ultima is.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Morpheus posted:

Seriously. Him saying that's like a fantasy book reviewer not knowing Tolkien is pretty dead on.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

theblackw0lf posted:

Seriously. Him saying that's like a fantasy book reviewer not knowing Tolkien is pretty dead on.

That's a poor analogy, because you're comparing an entire industry to a genre of another industry. Not to mention Tolkien has had a mass market revitalization due to the movies. Yeah, I'd expect a journalist who is focused or interested in RPGs to know about Ultima, and ideally any journalist that would be discussing Project E would have that background. However, this is the real world and the gaming industry goes beyond just RPGs.

nessin fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 18, 2012

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
It's more apt of a comparison than you're giving it credit for. Tolkien is as much a core classic from modern literature as is the Narnia series and it was being read very regularly by new readers in the late 90s and early 2000s before the film was even announced.

I mean poo poo, I never had a PC until I was in my mid-late teens in boarding school and I grew up on console games and I still knew quite well what Ultima was. It's older, but in RPG terms it's as far from a cult classic as Donkey Kong Country is in Platformer terms; the last time Rare put out a core/good DK game was in the 90s.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah. Ultima is a defining RPG. Even if you've never played it you drat well should be familiar with it.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

It's more apt of a comparison than you're giving it credit for. Tolkien is as much a core classic from modern literature as is the Narnia series and it was being read very regularly by new readers in the late 90s and early 2000s before the film was even announced.

I mean poo poo, I never had a PC until I was in my mid-late teens in boarding school and I grew up on console games and I still knew quite well what Ultima was. It's older, but in RPG terms it's as far from a cult classic as Donkey Kong Country is in Platformer terms; the last time Rare put out a core/good DK game was in the 90s.

I think you're giving Ultima more credit as a known title outside it's field. Also by just opening this thread you had better know about Ultima, considering it's huge in the video game RPG culture. However, that still holds up my point in that there are plenty of people out there, working in the industry, who have no reason to know/care anything about video game RPGs. Ultima is a RPG cult classic, not a "video game" cult classic in the style of something like Donkey Kong, Mario, Tetris, etc...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

nessin posted:

I think you're giving Ultima more credit as a known title outside it's field. Also by just opening this thread you had better know about Ultima, considering it's huge in the video game RPG culture. However, that still holds up my point in that there are plenty of people out there, working in the industry, who have no reason to know/care anything about video game RPGs. Ultima is a RPG cult classic, not a "video game" cult classic in the style of something like Donkey Kong, Mario, Tetris, etc...

Ultima is in no way a cult classic. As far as genre-defining RPGs go, it is it. Even if you ignored every single other aspect of the franchise, Ultima Online was one of the forerunners of the modern MMO. It doesn't have the name value these days it once did, but that doesn't mean it still isn't a noteworthy part of gaming history.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

nessin posted:

I think you're giving Ultima more credit as a known title outside it's field.

This is a paid professional video game reporter we're talking about here, not some homeless using the free internet at the library. It is totally relevant to their field. I've only physically played like twenty minutes of the NES port of Ultima, but I know enough about the series to say "yeah this is what is Ultima" and I ain't gettin' paid to be witty about nintendos as I do.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 18, 2012

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

It really isn't that strange that half of all gaming journalists (or whatever that statistic was) have never played an Ultima game, nor is it surprising that there are some gaming journalists working in the industry in the year of our lord 2012 that have never heard of the series that hasn't had a major release this century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If you purport to be an authority on video games, you should at least know the drat name.

I could never get into the Ultima games, even though I tried. Something about the weird sideways graphics just makes it hard for me to look at.