Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
So how much did all that cost you because now I want to do a project....

Also how does it work for nudging? you might have mentioned that I'm not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

FishBulb posted:

So how much did all that cost you because now I want to do a project....

Also how does it work for nudging? you might have mentioned that I'm not sure.

I haven't done a hard total yet, but if I had to estimate including the cost of the computer and 2 monitors, under a grand. Maybe under $750 if you got the monitors used.

Nudging is controlled by the pcboard that the digital plunger came with. It's used an accelerometer built onto the pcb to detect that. That was probably the other most expensive part of the build. The mot ion adapter digital plunger kit. I bought mine from virtuapin.net

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

mattfl posted:

-playfield and backbox plexiglass coverings. Hopefully get that done this week.

No plexi man, you have to use real glass. Plexi will discolor over time, and is always prone to scratches. Such a large piece laying horizontally will also likely sag in the middle over time as well.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Matt you are my favorite person on SA now.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

No plexi man, you have to use real glass. Plexi will discolor over time, and is always prone to scratches. Such a large piece laying horizontally will also likely sag in the middle over time as well.

Hmmm. I will have to check out how much it will cost to get a custom size piece of glass cut, but good points on the plexi.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

mattfl posted:

Hmmm. I will have to check out how much it will cost to get a custom size piece of glass cut, but good points on the plexi.

What you're going to need is transparent aluminum.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DrNutt posted:

What you're going to need is transparent aluminum.

Lol. I checked the price for custom cut pieces of glass and they aren't too bad. Looks like I can get away with being under $50 for both pieces. Looks like another order is in place for tomorrow!

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Went out and played the "pro" AC/DC pin last night.

The bar had the sound turned off, and it was hard to figure out what was going on. Are the flippers supposed to temporarily become unresponsive during gameplay?

It's a brand new machine, so I figured it may have been an intentional (but awful) feature.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Went out and played the "pro" AC/DC pin last night.

The bar had the sound turned off, and it was hard to figure out what was going on. Are the flippers supposed to temporarily become unresponsive during gameplay?
Only on the lower playfield. Depending on the operator settings, there's a timeout on the lower playfield that will disable the flippers after a certain period.

If the main playfield flippers are going out, either the table is defective or you're tilting and not realizing it.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I don't suppose there's any artists in this thread that would like to help come up with the artwork for my pin are there? My art skills are somewhere between none existent and I can make a stick figure!

Ordered my legs today too! Woooo more parts!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Ok, so here's a quick video of power up, loading of hyperpin and then a quick load of a table, with bonus girlfriend hiding behind the back box.

http://youtu.be/ix-tG651mZE?hd=1

Should give you a pretty good idea of how the whole thing works.

The buttons you see on the front aren't as bright as they look in the video. The big round one above the plunger says Launch Ball and the one on the left says Start, camera washed them out so you can see that.

Two buttons in the middle are for as yet undefined and the other one brings up the menu in hyperpin.

The plunger works great on games that support it, obviously not all games use the plunger.

Ordered the legs today and will place the order for the playfield and back box glass tomorrow. Other than that, it's essentially done, unless something comes up I want to add to it.

51 tables on there so far, and there's probably another 50+ I will/could add. I've got a wireless keyboard/mouse incase I ever need it and I've got teamviewer installed on it for remotely accessing it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

mattfl posted:

The plunger works great on games that support it, obviously not all games use the plunger.

It's not all that hard to add plunger support to the tables that don't already include it. It's just a matter of adding in a plunger object to the table in the editor, make it invisible (since there is already a plunger animation on the table), and then tweaking a few script settings to link the plunger animation to the new plunger you added.

Check around the VP forums, as I know I've seen a few tutorials on the exact steps you need to do for this.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but I wondered if there were specifically any Windows games that allow pinball to be played in portrait mode? I have a 1920 x 1080 monitor that pivots, and it got to thinking how drat sweet it would be to play a pinball game!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That's pretty much the point of Visual Pinball. Check out the cabinet being built on the previous pages.
Nothing stopping you doing the same thing without the backglass monitor and all the wood.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Convexed posted:

I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but I wondered if there were specifically any Windows games that allow pinball to be played in portrait mode? I have a 1920 x 1080 monitor that pivots, and it got to thinking how drat sweet it would be to play a pinball game!

Virtual pinball def supports this. You just need to download the right version of the tables.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I bought Zen and PA the other day because a friend got me interested again after a long time and have been playing a whole lot. I don't really have much experience with the really realistic computer pinball stuff so PA is a pretty refreshing change. I played the Digital Illusions stuff a whole lot when I was young(er), so it's kind of funny that I have way more trouble getting into Zen, even though that's much closer to the old games with the shoddyish lead and glue physics and all.

I already went ahead and added myself to the google docs list, but in case that's outdated anyone who wants to feel good about themselves beating my piddly scores feel free to add me, PSN name is Jpelter.

PardonMeHippo
Feb 18, 2011
Pinball Advice: Never go to an arcade expecting a specific machine to be working. Even if the owners take good care of them, that's just their nature.

RE: Twilight Zone for TPA
I'd love to see this, and would be willing to pay more ($10-15?) for special case tables, but it's hard to tell how many other people would. It could set kind of a worrying precedent. Probably there's only a handful of tables that have expensive licensing fees that would justify increased cost due to popularity.

The General posted:

GMT Games, a boardgame company uses this model for everything. It's called the P500 list. Once something gets 500 orders, they produce the product then ship it out. Some things linger on there for a long time. But eventually it happens.

I like pre-order model myself. It allows things to be done that never would have happened in the first place.

Seems like a pre-order system with a set price and target number would be better than open ended donations.

mattfl posted:

cabinet build
That looks great so far! I'd try to make one myself if I had the money or mechanical ability. :)

PardonMeHippo fucked around with this message at 08:15 on May 14, 2012

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There was an interview with one of the Farsight guys in GamesTM this month that had a couple of interesting tidbits of info. For example, some of their licensers have "suggested" that Farsight legally challenge people doing Visual Pinball remakes of their tables, but they're currently not interested in the idea because "Visual Pinball is good for pinball as a whole." Which is an interesting position for someone who's competing with free table recreations to take, but I guess Farsight can't preserve every table, as much as they want to.

Speaking of, they still haven't given up on The Addams Family. They also gave some kudos to the guys at Zen as well, which is nice.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I tried playing Visual Pinball on my PC and it looks like poo poo and runs like rear end so I don't see much reason for Farsight to be worried.

On the subject of Twilight Zone etc... I just can't believe the Twilight Zone license would be that expensive. Show hasn't been on in like 60 years, all the remakes of it are terrible, the movie was a huge disaster. I wouldn't think that license would be very expensive at all at this point. Media companies are so loving greedy.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

FishBulb posted:

I tried playing Visual Pinball on my PC and it looks like poo poo and runs like rear end so I don't see much reason for Farsight to be worried.

On the subject of Twilight Zone etc... I just can't believe the Twilight Zone license would be that expensive. Show hasn't been on in like 60 years, all the remakes of it are terrible, the movie was a huge disaster. I wouldn't think that license would be very expensive at all at this point. Media companies are so loving greedy.

What kind of PC do you have? Visual pinball actually requires a pretty hefty cpu/gpu combo.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
i3 with 6 gigs of ram and a bleh graphics card.

I'm sure there are various ways I could spend hours downloading drivers and tweaking settings to make it work but I'm not going to do that so I'll just stick to thinking its lovely.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

FishBulb posted:

It's probably because there are multiple licenses for TZ. You have to pay CBS for the rights to the show itself as well as Rod Serling's estate, which I believe Bally had to license separately at the time.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.

The Kins posted:

There was an interview with one of the Farsight guys in GamesTM this month that had a couple of interesting tidbits of info. For example, some of their licensers have "suggested" that Farsight legally challenge people doing Visual Pinball remakes of their tables, but they're currently not interested in the idea because "Visual Pinball is good for pinball as a whole." Which is an interesting position for someone who's competing with free table recreations to take, but I guess Farsight can't preserve every table, as much as they want to.

It's nice to hear that Farsight GETS IT. What VP provides is a way for people who don't have access to real tables to still play and maintain their interest in pinball as well as a sort of "Living Museum" that showcases the history of pinball. As someone who has played plenty of VP recreations, I am more than willing to plunk down cash for official versions of tables in something like Pinball Arcade. I'm sure there are plenty of others who are the same way, since most people who care enough about pinball to install VP and find tables are adults with some amount of disposable income that welcome a nice-looking, polished, convenient way of playing their favorite tables.

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010

WhiteHowler posted:

Only on the lower playfield. Depending on the operator settings, there's a timeout on the lower playfield that will disable the flippers after a certain period.

If the main playfield flippers are going out, either the table is defective or you're tilting and not realizing it.

There's no lower playfield on the Pro. The Pro has Angus Young's face instead.

Lower playfield is on the LE and Premium

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

mattfl posted:

Ok, so here's a quick video of power up, loading of hyperpin and then a quick load of a table, with bonus girlfriend hiding behind the back box.

http://youtu.be/ix-tG651mZE?hd=1

Should give you a pretty good idea of how the whole thing works.

The buttons you see on the front aren't as bright as they look in the video. The big round one above the plunger says Launch Ball and the one on the left says Start, camera washed them out so you can see that.

Two buttons in the middle are for as yet undefined and the other one brings up the menu in hyperpin.

Ordered the legs today and will place the order for the playfield and back box glass tomorrow. Other than that, it's essentially done, unless something comes up I want to add to it.

51 tables on there so far, and there's probably another 50+ I will/could add. I've got a wireless keyboard/mouse incase I ever need it and I've got teamviewer installed on it for remotely accessing it.

That's loving hot. It looks like it has a pretty decent illusion of depth too, maybe just from blowing it up that big and my eyes used to seeing real pinball tables at that size.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

DarthXaos posted:

There's no lower playfield on the Pro. The Pro has Angus Young's face instead.

Lower playfield is on the LE and Premium
Oh, sorry. I thought it was the Pro edition and the... lovely edition.

PardonMeHippo
Feb 18, 2011

FishBulb posted:

I knew it was a complicated license what with Serling and the music and such, but yeah it didn't seem like it would be super expensive. Farsight is a tiny company, though, maybe our sense of scale is off.

(btw, your "space pinball" post from a while ago was funny. Super cute!)

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
The iOS update of Pinball Arcade with Funhouse and Circus Voltaire is out!

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
My only complaint about the new tables so far is that you have to turn off the redundant HUD on Cirque Voltaire every time you play. Other than that, it's great!

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Man, Voltaire doesn't disappoint at all, what a fun table. I can't wait until it comes out on the consoles.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Clouseau posted:

Man, Voltaire doesn't disappoint at all, what a fun table. I can't wait until it comes out on the consoles.

I've never played voltaire before. More excited about funhouse. Updating my ipad ios just to play it right now. :)

Alcoholism
Nov 17, 2010

I don't think this got posted... looks like PS3 and 360 DLC packs are still a bit out, but PS3 might contain all four released DLC tables, which would be nice!

quote:

Quick console update: The first 360 update will include both DLC packs. The PS3/Vita updates may include both DLC packs. They'll certainly include MM and Bride. All console updates are at least 3 weeks away from being released.

Sucks that it's taking so long, but at least they are being honest.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anyone played the PS2 Akira pinball game?
Is it fun?

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?
RL Pin Trip Report, 5/18/2012: Went to Brooklyn to have dinner at the Buffalo Cantina, mainly to watch a friend take on the Sepukku Wing challenge. Then headed over to the Satellite Lounge two doors down for some pinball action. Got to play Monster Bash a second time (and did a lot better this time since I'm understanding the rules better as I play it over and over), new plays were Rollercoaster Tycoon, Spiderman, Addams Family (which was nigh unplayable, DMD had issues and lights were off all over the table), Batman, and Family Guy. I finally see why people like Family Guy so much, it's definitely tied with LoTR as my favorite new Stern table.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Just toyed around with Funhouse and Cirque for a while. As someone whose first learned tables were in FX2, I'm a little overwhelmed. I'm amazed at how much more complex these tables are than the virtual ones, especially considering the amount of freedom they had in designing the virtual ones. Like, they do stuff that can't be done physically, but it doesn't really mean the play is substantially more complex or interesting.

I think I'm figuring out why people in the thread greatly prefer these tables. :D

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?
Someone mentioned it before, but the general consensus is that a lot more thought goes into physical pins because they are being sold at a high price to a relatively small group of buyers. A poorly designed virtual pin isn't as big of a money sink as a poorly designed physical pin.

That being said, Funhouse and Cirqus are both great because they are fairly complex tables that are still highly playable. For example, my biggest complaint from last night was with the Rollercoaster Tycoon, a complex table with so much going on that sometimes it was hard to keep track of the ball. I mean three habitrails that all cross the playfield? WTH was Lawlor thinking? I mean look at this poo poo: http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=4536&picno=5817&zoom=1

vvvvv
Try playing it in a dimly lit bar and come back to me about how fun it is. :-P

KamikazeJim fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 18, 2012

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

KamikazeJim posted:

I mean three habitrails that all cross the playfield? WTH was Lawlor thinking? I mean look at this poo poo: http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=4536&picno=5817&zoom=1
Looks fun to me!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I plaed that at a disney resort a year ago, its confusing as all hell. (Or I just completely suck at pinball. Probably the later.)

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

KamikazeJim posted:

For example, my biggest complaint from last night was with the Rollercoaster Tycoon, a complex table with so much going on that sometimes it was hard to keep track of the ball. I mean three habitrails that all cross the playfield? WTH was Lawlor thinking? I mean look at this poo poo: http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=4536&picno=5817&zoom=1
Looks like a pretty accurate rendition of the RollerCoaster Tycoon experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

KamikazeJim posted:

That being said, Funhouse and Cirqus are both great because they are fairly complex tables that are still highly playable. For example, my biggest complaint from last night was with the Rollercoaster Tycoon, a complex table with so much going on that sometimes it was hard to keep track of the ball. I mean three habitrails that all cross the playfield? WTH was Lawlor thinking? I mean look at this poo poo: http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=4536&picno=5817&zoom=1

They are color coded, what's the problem? They could be all silver and cross each other so you have no clue where the ball might end up.