Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DarkJC posted:

Trust me, it's right. My Vertex 2E is exactly the same, and yes I've verified all the standard stuff.
Yep, my Vertex 2E is a little more than a year old and looks exactly the same, it's in this thread somewhere.

Edit:

Tunga posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norg
Jul 5, 2006
Is the Kingston V+200 a terrible buy for whatever reason? Is it the same Sandforce variant as the Corsair Force 3? Only they're really cheap on Ebuyer atm.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know if there is a performance difference between these two:
http://www.ebuyer.com/342458-crucial-256gb-m4-slim-ssd-7mm-sata-6gb-ct256m4ssd1
http://www.ebuyer.com/267107-crucial-256gb-2-5-m4-ssd-sata-iii-6gb-s-read-415mb-s-write-260mb-s-ct256m4ssd2

I'm not actually buying, I'm just interested. I have purchased a couple of M4s in the past and never noticed the slim versions. Why does the fat version exist if it costs more anyway?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

pigdog posted:

That doesn't look right. Are you sure the TRIM is enabled, partition is aligned, etc?
It's one of the 25nm drives, so unfortunately it's accurate.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
You really shouldn't be paying over $1/GB anymore for an SSD.

$199 for a 256GB Cruial M4. Even amazon's price on it is only $220.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=365476&CatId=5300

OCZ's drives are going for even less, but...well...you know. Regular SSD prices dropping so fast means SRT is kinda useless, and hybrid drives are really only for those who just need a large drive in a single-drive bay notebook.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Tunga posted:

Does anyone know if there is a performance difference between these two:
http://www.ebuyer.com/342458-crucial-256gb-m4-slim-ssd-7mm-sata-6gb-ct256m4ssd1
http://www.ebuyer.com/267107-crucial-256gb-2-5-m4-ssd-sata-iii-6gb-s-read-415mb-s-write-260mb-s-ct256m4ssd2

I'm not actually buying, I'm just interested. I have purchased a couple of M4s in the past and never noticed the slim versions. Why does the fat version exist if it costs more anyway?

Woah, I wish I hadn't seen that. £155 for an M4 is like £30 savings over anywhere else, but I really shouldn't buy one right now.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Dogen posted:

Yeah they were never a good idea, and with prices coming down they're terrible.
I think they're a pretty reasonable idea, we've just only seen examples from Seagate and OCZ, both extremely lovely companies who took the lowest-effort, lowest-performance route. If you combined a 3.5" Caviar Black or even a 2.5" Velociraptor with a reasonably sized (~64GB+) NAND cache, that would be a compelling option. 256GB is still a pretty small drive, and TRIM + RAID0 for SSDs is yet to be production-ready, so there is still a reason for non-poo poo hybrid drives to exist. Unfortunately, all we have are Seagate combining their worst-in-class laptop drives with 4-8GB of cache, which simply isn't enough to make a difference, and OCZ selling a retarded PCI-Express device with a 5400rpm laptop drive on it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Agility 3 240GB is $158 at NewEgg with promocode from [H]

OCZ or not, that's insane, $100 off of where it was 2 months ago.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I got the Crucial m4 deal, this is the first time I've dealt with Tiger Direct, why the gently caress does it ask for part of my SSN when I finish the order? Am I right in saying "hell to the no" to that part?

A snippet that doesn't include any personal info:

So many loving red flags, I see why everyone hates dealing with them.

Regardless, with this, I am officially out of money, yay! Hopefully I won't need any new computer parts for a good long while :v:

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Picked up an M4 myself the other day. Definitely the most pronounced performance improvement I've gotten out of an upgrade in many years. (I'll spare you the CDM screenshots)

I didn't think it would be so small and light, I thought the box was empty at first. :v:

Spatial fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 19, 2012

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

Boten Anna posted:

I got the Crucial m4 deal, this is the first time I've dealt with Tiger Direct, why the gently caress does it ask for part of my SSN when I finish the order? Am I right in saying "hell to the no" to that part?

A snippet that doesn't include any personal info:

So many loving red flags, I see why everyone hates dealing with them.

Regardless, with this, I am officially out of money, yay! Hopefully I won't need any new computer parts for a good long while :v:

Both NCIX and Tigerdirect seem to be super anal with credit card/identity verification it seems. I guess lots of computer parts are purchased with stolen credit cards.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

Woah, I wish I hadn't seen that. £155 for an M4 is like £30 savings over anywhere else, but I really shouldn't buy one right now.

Holy crap that wasn't on offer when I posted it. gently caress that's tempting. My 120GB Vertex 2 feels so small :/.

Someone said about the 25nm drives going lovely, mine is actually one of the original good Vertex 2s from before they pulled that crap, and it still ended up with those stats after a year. gently caress OCZ basically. Although, to be fair, real world performance is still excellent.

And someone mentioned TRIM. As far as remember, Vertex 2s do not support TRIM, they have their own garbage collection instead.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Tunga posted:

And someone mentioned TRIM. As far as remember, Vertex 2s do not support TRIM, they have their own garbage collection instead.
Vertex 2s use Sandforce controllers with TRIM support.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Alereon posted:

I think they're a pretty reasonable idea, we've just only seen examples from Seagate and OCZ, both extremely lovely companies who took the lowest-effort, lowest-performance route. If you combined a 3.5" Caviar Black or even a 2.5" Velociraptor with a reasonably sized (~64GB+) NAND cache, that would be a compelling option. 256GB is still a pretty small drive, and TRIM + RAID0 for SSDs is yet to be production-ready, so there is still a reason for non-poo poo hybrid drives to exist. Unfortunately, all we have are Seagate combining their worst-in-class laptop drives with 4-8GB of cache, which simply isn't enough to make a difference, and OCZ selling a retarded PCI-Express device with a 5400rpm laptop drive on it.

Dunno, would you say the SSD caching feature of sandy bridge and ivy bridge are worthwhile? Wouldn't a well implemented single product solution be similar to that, or am I missing something?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Dogen posted:

Dunno, would you say the SSD caching feature of sandy bridge and ivy bridge are worthwhile? Wouldn't a well implemented single product solution be similar to that, or am I missing something?

The Seagate drives don't cache writes like the Intel implementation. They also use a bigger drive (20GB recommended, up to 64GB I think max)

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

rawrr posted:

Both NCIX and Tigerdirect seem to be super anal with credit card/identity verification it seems. I guess lots of computer parts are purchased with stolen credit cards.

Except it wasn't required. It just asked for it in a shady way to look like it was required but it wasn't. My order is sitting there fine and even says it shipped and I never gave them my partial SSN. Then they sent me an email saying they "needed confirmation" and it was a thinly disguised guise to get me to sign up for their mailing list.

I see why people hate buying from Tiger Direct, they're shady as gently caress.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Sorry for posting the tiger direct deal, guys, I didn't know they were that lovely. Amazon is down to $210 for the drive, and is a much better vendor.

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-2-5-Inch-Solid-State-CT256M4SSD2/dp/B004W2JL2A

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Civil posted:

Sorry for posting the tiger direct deal, guys, I didn't know they were that lovely. Amazon is down to $210 for the drive, and is a much better vendor.

Amazon UK also matched eBuyer's price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT256M4SSD2-256GB-M4-SSD/dp/B004W2JL2A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337415375&sr=8-1

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

I love it. We're getting some seriously tasty deals. Adjusted for VAT, that is basically bang on the US price (£2.58 difference using current conversions). Not a rip off, for once!

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:59 on May 19, 2012

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Ok, so, slight oddity. I got the Crucial M4 256GB, plugged it in, set my BIOS to AHCI everywhere I could find. Now, when I turn it on, it lists the SSD along with a mechanical hard drive as IDE, and two others pop up under something that appears to be AHCI detected devices. However, in my BIOS, it looks like everything is set so that every SATA connector should be reading as AHCI.

Windows installed fine and loads fine, everything appears to be fine, Windows is set to use AHCI in the registry, TRIM checks out, all that. I've got a Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5 motherboard, I think I have the SSD plugged into one of the SATA 6Gb/s connectors or whatever, and it just confuses me a bit. If anyone has any further information, if everything's fine, if I should change something, whatever, it'd be appreciated.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Civil posted:

loving Amazon will no longer ship these to Australian addresses. The cheapest local price here is about US$295, except no-one's got any stock.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Kurui Reiten posted:

Ok, so, slight oddity. I got the Crucial M4 256GB, plugged it in, set my BIOS to AHCI everywhere I could find. Now, when I turn it on, it lists the SSD along with a mechanical hard drive as IDE, and two others pop up under something that appears to be AHCI detected devices. However, in my BIOS, it looks like everything is set so that every SATA connector should be reading as AHCI.

Windows installed fine and loads fine, everything appears to be fine, Windows is set to use AHCI in the registry, TRIM checks out, all that. I've got a Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5 motherboard, I think I have the SSD plugged into one of the SATA 6Gb/s connectors or whatever, and it just confuses me a bit. If anyone has any further information, if everything's fine, if I should change something, whatever, it'd be appreciated.

Looking at the specs of that board, it only has 3rd party SATA 6Gb/s ports. Try plugging it in to the native SATA2 ports and see what happens.

Mr Chips posted:

loving Amazon will no longer ship these to Australian addresses. The cheapest local price here is about US$295, except no-one's got any stock.

I bought one when it was $225. Just select a different retailer.

edit: nvm, saw that the default retailer is Amazon. Not sure what they're doing.

4 Day Weekend fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 19, 2012

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009
double post

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

So I googled whether Assassin's Creed Revelations has any performance improvement if installed on an SSD and found out it officially has faster horses if installed on an Intel SSD. :psyduck: Here's an actual promotional video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwfuiOno3Vg

Well, I want them fast horses I guess so I'm installing it on my Intel SSD right now. :)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Mr Chips posted:

I'm sure some goons could ship it to you, if it comes to that.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Zat posted:

So I googled whether Assassin's Creed Revelations has any performance improvement if installed on an SSD and found out it officially has faster horses if installed on an Intel SSD. :psyduck: Here's an actual promotional video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwfuiOno3Vg

Well, I want them fast horses I guess so I'm installing it on my Intel SSD right now. :)

The horse is sprinting in the SSD one.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Civil posted:

Don't feel bad, I got it from slickdeals in the first place, also I didn't fall for their traps :v:

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

4 Day Weekend posted:

The horse is sprinting in the SSD one.

Yeah, I don't know what the gently caress. It seems like the normal horse-sprinting speed to me. Though at least in Brotherhood, I think you couldn't sprint inside cities? Maybe it's the same in Revelations and you're then able to sprint inside city walls if you have an SSD? I don't know.

In any case, that's an absolutely strange thing to pick up as a technology demo/promotional thing and that's why I posted it too.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Zat posted:

Yeah, I don't know what the gently caress. It seems like the normal horse-sprinting speed to me. Though at least in Brotherhood, I think you couldn't sprint inside cities? Maybe it's the same in Revelations and you're then able to sprint inside city walls if you have an SSD? I don't know.

In any case, that's an absolutely strange thing to pick up as a technology demo/promotional thing and that's why I posted it too.

I don't think there a difference in content at all. All they're showing (trying to at least) is that the SSD is smoother.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Also I just realized that video is about AC: Brotherhood anyway and not Revelations... Sorry about the confusion.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

It's back down to $199 on Amazon. Now's your time to snatch one up!

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.
If anyone is looking for a new SSD, Newegg has a Samsung 830 128GB deal for 109.99$ with free shipping if you enter the EMCNEJB27 code at checkout.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Welp, my Samsung 830 128GB just started loving up. Reads are fine but any writes result in continuous I/O errors according to Console. Stuck it back in a PC and used SSD Magician to check it out, it said it was fine, reformatted it.

When I tried to reinstall Lion on it, the install log kept saying that random pkgs fail to verify each time; tried the drive on three different laptops (2 MBPs, 1 MB) and same poo poo happens.

Oh well, back to Samsung it goes.. hmm maybe I'll get a Crucial 256 in the meantime now that prices are plummeting, $199 is what I paid for the Samsung :(

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Did a secure erase do anything?

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I've been wanting to grab an SSD for a while, but with higher prices in EU the cost has been just a little too high to justify it for me. Last week however the Samsung 830 Series MZ-7PC256B 256 GB dropped by about 15% from day to day across most of the retailers (in Denmark). Meanwhile the price of the desktop edition remains unchanged.

Before I grab one I just wanted to ask if anyone has heard of any issues with the B model? Inferior memory used or something?

I see no such change on Newegg so I think it's just a local price war, but I find it odd that it's just that model.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Hamburger Test posted:

I see no such change on Newegg so I think it's just a local price war, but I find it odd that it's just that model.

That exact same SSD (both 128 and 256 GB capacities) has been receiving heavily lowered prices around the stores in Finland since late last week so it's not just local to Denmark. As far as I know that model is just fine.

Zat fucked around with this message at 12:47 on May 21, 2012

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Nam Taf posted:

It's back down to $199 on Amazon. Now's your time to snatch one up!

Next stop: $149!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Hamburger Test posted:

I've been wanting to grab an SSD for a while, but with higher prices in EU the cost has been just a little too high to justify it for me. Last week however the Samsung 830 Series MZ-7PC256B 256 GB dropped by about 15% from day to day across most of the retailers (in Denmark). Meanwhile the price of the desktop edition remains unchanged.

Before I grab one I just wanted to ask if anyone has heard of any issues with the B model? Inferior memory used or something?

One model is for laptops, the other desktops. Means nothing except for getting a different adapter in the box.

redeyes posted:

Did a secure erase do anything?

Trying that now, will check back after it's done.

Oh yeah, if no one noticed, those $109.99 Samsung 830s mentioned earlier are sold out.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 21, 2012

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Binary Badger posted:

One model is for laptops, the other desktops. Means nothing except for getting a different adapter in the box.

I realize that. That doesn't mean that the internals have to be the same. They probably are, because Samsung is not OCZ. I'm just asking for confirmation, because the price difference makes no logical sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dissonant
Jul 24, 2008

Just another disposable hero.
Any Aussie goons have recommendations for good places to order SSDs (in particular, the Crucial M4)? MSY only seems to have Intel.

The Dissonant fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 21, 2012

• Locked thread