Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Instrumedley posted:

I accidentally got fingerprints on the glass of my lens, what's the best way to clean them off?

LensPen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

8th-samurai posted:

You could paste the images into a 5x7 or 8x10 canvas in Photoshop and then just save that.

5x7 with a 1/2 inch border means a full 4x6 photo can fit :eng101:

mpix.com has 2:3 print sizes though if you want to go borderless. Finding frames is kind of a pain in the rear end though and mats won't have a uniform border if you mat down a standard frame.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Instrumedley posted:

I accidentally got fingerprints on the glass of my lens, what's the best way to clean them off?

It probably doesn't matter ;)

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

David Pratt posted:

It probably doesn't matter ;)

Here's another article where he finds an interesting side-effect of breaking off the glass completely http://kurtmunger.com/dirty_lens_articleid35.html

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I guess I'll stop worrying about keeping my lens clean.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Instrumedley posted:

A microfiber cloth would be fine too. I've only ever used the little cloths that came with my glasses.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Not sure if anyone has posted this already but I think it belongs in the OP:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/digital-camera-sensor-size.htm

Some nice calculators for DOF equivalents and aperture diffraction limits, etc.

widunder
May 2, 2002
Can I use these batteries:

http://www.amazon.com/Vinnic-PX625-L1560-Alkaline-Manganese-Batteries/dp/B002UV4NQO/ref=sr_1_2?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1337473139&sr=1-2

As a replacement for old PX625 mercury ones?

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

They will probably mess up your metering system since their voltage drops as they're used. I think you can get silver-based cells that are a fairly close match but the meter may need to be recalibrated since the voltage is different IIRC.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
What camera should I bring to a beach trip?

A. Canon film SLR
B. Canon digital SLR
C. Olympus film p/s
D. Comedy option: Holga 120N

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Rugged digital P&S. You'll probably have tons of light to work with, so your photos should turn out fine. Using a digital camera means no opening up the camera which means less chance of heartbreak from sand.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

HPL posted:

Rugged digital P&S. You'll probably have tons of light to work with, so your photos should turn out fine. Using a digital camera means no opening up the camera which means less chance of heartbreak from sand.

Well I don't HAVE one of thooose

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

the posted:

Well I don't HAVE one of thooose

You don't have a cell phone?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
The DSLR. Stick ONE lens on it, don't remove it if you can see, feel, or smell sand. Put it in Av mode, F/11. Shoot wildly, be happy.

Or buy a rugged water-resistant digital P&S for like $200 and take video in shallow water.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
This is a bit of a shot in the dark, but I've been having fun jury-rigging my holga to shoot 35mm, but even with this http://microsites.lomography.com/digitaliza/ a slight bit gets cut off, and I realized it's possible to put the film in slightly crooked. Does anyone know of a way to get everything scanned? I'm using an Epsom v600 if that's important.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Skwirl posted:

This is a bit of a shot in the dark, but I've been having fun jury-rigging my holga to shoot 35mm, but even with this http://microsites.lomography.com/digitaliza/ a slight bit gets cut off, and I realized it's possible to put the film in slightly crooked. Does anyone know of a way to get everything scanned? I'm using an Epsom v600 if that's important.

If you have to have every last bit of film area scanned, try a Betterscanning medium format film holder and tape the negs to the bottom of the glass.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Skwirl posted:

I'm using an Epsom

Using salt on your negatives is going to hurt them in the long run

:tipshat: thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I don't know if this is the right place for this question, But if I'm trying to remove shiny eyes from photos from a cell phone from a birthday party last night what do I do?

Heres the picture to show what I'm talking about : http://imgur.com/Aj1VA

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Tenchrono posted:

I don't know if this is the right place for this question, But if I'm trying to remove shiny eyes from photos from a cell phone from a birthday party last night what do I do?

Heres the picture to show what I'm talking about : http://imgur.com/Aj1VA

Why? It's not that bad, it's not an otherwise perfect pic, so why worry too much?

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

torgeaux posted:

Why? It's not that bad, it's not an otherwise perfect pic, so why worry too much?

Thumbnail pic makes it look like I'm shooting lasers out of my eyes. :v:
But if you guys think its fine ill keep it as is.

Edit: VVVV Sadly no, it was a crappy cell phone in a dark restaurant. It looks fine on a phone though.

Tenchrono fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 25, 2012

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
Nothing in the picture is in focus, can't you get a picture that is actually in focus?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Is there a way to make LR export 2 different res files for each pic?
This would be very useful for me :)

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
So, I've got a D70, knobs are a bit stiff, and the memory doesn't always register the first time I plug it in. The kit lens has decided to develop a hangup so that rather than an 18-70 it is about a 25-38, or a 40-60.

Repairs on the lens from the local outfit is 150$ prepaid plus 20$ shipping (may come under this).

A used 18-70 is about 185$, and I could have it in 2 days, rather than 6-8 weeks. But I feel bad about throwing away what...other than the not working, is a remarkably good (10 year old, kit) lens.

Alternatively, I could pick up a new D7000 with the 18-105 kit for around 1600.

I shoot bugs and airplanes, I have a 60mm macro and a 75-300 telephoto I use for these and I am happy with them. It is just the taking pictures of my family lens that is busted.

So goons, what would you do if you were me? Is a d7000 the way to go? Is there something else I should consider?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Steve McScene posted:

Is there a way to make LR export 2 different res files for each pic?
This would be very useful for me :)
Not in one run, but you can define the export presets you need and run them concurrently.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Didn't see a generic licensing / monetizing thread so I'll ask here. I recently got into photography for the purpose of providing shots of interviews I help conduct for an opera website. I've started getting requests from some of our interviewees (well, their managers / agents) about using the photos in press kits, as art for interviews with other sites, etc. I have no problem allowing my shots to be used in any non-revenue generating capacity but would like to reserve my rights so they aren't selling autographed copies of a photo I took. Anyone who has been through the muddle of licensing options and could point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

Didn't see a generic licensing / monetizing thread so I'll ask here. I recently got into photography for the purpose of providing shots of interviews I help conduct for an opera website. I've started getting requests from some of our interviewees (well, their managers / agents) about using the photos in press kits, as art for interviews with other sites, etc. I have no problem allowing my shots to be used in any non-revenue generating capacity but would like to reserve my rights so they aren't selling autographed copies of a photo I took. Anyone who has been through the muddle of licensing options and could point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Check out the Photo Business thread. Someone in there should be able to point you in the right direction.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
How do you properly meter when using a flash?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

the posted:

A few options:
-Guess and readjust your exposure after the first shot (looking at your histogram helps here)
-Shoot in TTL mode - the camera will adjust flash power based on the exposure you're metering (this assumes you're using a TTL flash)
-Buy an incident light meter and measure the flash output to get the correct exposure

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 29, 2012

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
This is fun. A guy here in town who I've known for many years has been doing hobbyist photography for quite a while now. I've always described him as my nemesis because he always seems to be naturally and effortlessly successful at all of the things that I try, but is (now) such a congenial and nice guy that I can't begrudge him anything.

Anyway, he took a picture of the city and put it up on his blog, and the picture was used by a lawyer for disabled kids. Jay sends a DMCA request and things get weird. He's taken the original blog post down, but this article has a link to a cache.

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/05/25/photographer-threatened-with-lawsuit-after-protecting-his-copyright/

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

the posted:

Not sure what you are really asking here. If you are talking about just shooting a simple flash shot, then yeah, use Auto/TTL and go from there.

If you are asking how to meter the REST of the scene, here is what I generally do to get decent results:

Manual exposure mode.

Set shutter speed and aperture roughly to proper exposure (use your in-camera meter). Keep your shutter speed at or below sync speed of the flash.

Dial down the exposure a stop or so, effectively underexposing the scene a bit. Here I might for instance start with a 1/60 f/8 setting to properly expose the scene, and change that to 1/125 f/8.

Then I add the flash. The flash does not care what your shutter speed is (for all practical purposes, the light is instant), so you just worry about matching it to your ISO and aperture. You could do this using an auto mode, or go all-manual setting it to 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 etc to achieve a reasonable flash exposure. The basic equation is guide number divided by subject distance equals aperture.

OK, maybe this got too complicated. But basically, go manual, underexpose the scene a bit, add enough flash to get the subject properly exposed.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Or you could just use a flash meter :confused:

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

TheLastManStanding posted:

Or you could just use a flash meter :confused:

A flash meter is good for determining the proper flash exposure, but you generally want your ambient light to fall nicely, unless you are shooting in a studio.

Here is a good Strobist post that covers the thing in much more detail and with a better explanation than mine:
http://strobist.blogspot.se/2006/03/lighting-101-balancing-flash-and.html

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

squidflakes posted:

This is fun. A guy here in town who I've known for many years has been doing hobbyist photography for quite a while now. I've always described him as my nemesis because he always seems to be naturally and effortlessly successful at all of the things that I try, but is (now) such a congenial and nice guy that I can't begrudge him anything.

Anyway, he took a picture of the city and put it up on his blog, and the picture was used by a lawyer for disabled kids. Jay sends a DMCA request and things get weird. He's taken the original blog post down, but this article has a link to a cache.

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/05/25/photographer-threatened-with-lawsuit-after-protecting-his-copyright/

I hate you for linking to her blog.

I read some it (as much as I could before my brain locked up) and now I hate humanity more than ever. She needs to be run over by a dump truck.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

spog posted:

I read some it (as much as I could before my brain locked up) and now I hate humanity more than ever. She needs to be run over by a dump truck.

She claims to be an attorney. God, please let it be hyperbole, as she is a terrible writer, has no clue about the law (perjury? Really?).

I need to scrub my eyeballs.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
This seems like the most reasonable place to ask, so: would there be any problem with me supergluing the clip ring of a lens cap back together? It's just a simple plastic circle that fits into the body of the cap, and deforming the circle lets you pull off the cap. However, it's well over twenty years old, and so it's finally snapped in half. Could I just superglue it back together?

If that's an awful idea, then how are lens caps sized? The only marking on it is ø49, which is the thread depth, unless I am an idiot and that's the diameter or something.

Also, you'd be surprised how poo poo at writing some lawyers are, from what I hear. Besides, I rather doubt she'd be quite so quick to resort to threatening lawsuits and the like in reality. The internet makes people stupid and overly litigious. Then again, an attorney should probably know better than to leave crap like that in writing. So, possibly just an idiot.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Zenostein posted:

This seems like the most reasonable place to ask, so: would there be any problem with me supergluing the clip ring of a lens cap back together? It's just a simple plastic circle that fits into the body of the cap, and deforming the circle lets you pull off the cap. However, it's well over twenty years old, and so it's finally snapped in half. Could I just superglue it back together?

If that's an awful idea, then how are lens caps sized? The only marking on it is ø49, which is the thread depth, unless I am an idiot and that's the diameter or something.

You're an idiot

(It is the diameter and superglue won't work well. ebay a cheap replacement)

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Yes I am. Well, that's a lot easier then. Thanks!

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

spog posted:

She looks just like you would expect her to look. Look at this picture while picturing her typing that blog...

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Zenostein posted:

Yes I am. Well, that's a lot easier then. Thanks!

Seriously you can probably eBay a new lens cap for cheaper than you could buy a tube of Superglue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005
Is there any noticeable image degradation or loss of editing flexibility going from RAW to SRAW1 or SRAW2? I normally shoot Raw, but I want to do some timelapses and 21 MB Raw files fill my card awfully quick.