Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Rufus isn't easy to play well. There's a reason not a lot of people play Rufus.

Now for a good answer: Cammy. She has a ton of combos ranging from really easy to decently hard. Pretty much all of her normals are advantage on block and link into eachother on hit, and give her a lot of time to hitconfirm. This gives her a ton of frame traps and a ton of options to do damage from random hits. She also does a lot of damage!

On top of this she has a divekick, really ambiguous crossups and midscreen setups off of her throws and BnB combos, a dragon punch, and more tools to get around fireballs than any other character in the game. Her walkspeed is good, making up for her poor throw range and making her good poking normals a lot better.

She also has a good focus attack, a great dash, DP fadc ultra, a bunch of meaty setups that are annoying to deal with, and a nice rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Question Mark Mound posted:

I should probably learn a patient low damage character then. I don't get the time to grind out combos like I did in BBCT/CS1.

Try Dhalsim. He's pretty hard to play with just because you have to be very patient and consistent with your AAs and such, but he has no combos that you need and he's a fullscreen character just like your nu/lamda bros.

Dingus Egg
May 23, 2005

Legend has it the world was hatched from a dingus egg.

Popehoist posted:

The issue I have with glasgow FGC is that noone seems to give a gently caress. I tried to play with these guys and get involved but they're like robots, they just sit down in front of a TV and autopilot SF4/marvel for 2 or 3 hours. None of them seem to actually give a poo poo about the game they're playing, you can't really talk to your opponent about the game indepth or even have any kind of conversation past "haha that was weird" "yeah heh". It's just so...depressing.

When I went to Glasgow for Hypespotting, literally every single Scottish player I played was really fun to play with, happy to talk, and really hype for other people's games. I had a brilliant time and I'm definitely going over again for the next major they have (Hi Cat Machine btw, I was one of the Irish guys, signed up as Dreddybajs!).

Maybe the problem is with you rather than every other player in Glasglow apart from your one mate?

Edit:

Bebopaloobop posted:

Now for a good answer: Cammy. She has a ton of combos ranging from really easy to decently hard. Pretty much all of her normals are advantage on block and link into eachother on hit, and give her a lot of time to hitconfirm. This gives her a ton of frame traps and a ton of options to do damage from random hits. She also does a lot of damage!

On top of this she has a divekick, really ambiguous crossups and midscreen setups off of her throws and BnB combos, a dragon punch, and more tools to get around fireballs than any other character in the game. Her walkspeed is good, making up for her poor throw range and making her good poking normals a lot better.

She also has a good focus attack, a great dash, DP fadc ultra, a bunch of meaty setups that are annoying to deal with, and a nice rear end.

This! You also have one of the best Cammys in Europe at every SF4 session to learn stuff off.

Dingus Egg
May 23, 2005

edit: accidental double post

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Bebopaloobop posted:

Yeah I play Cammy and I do well with her despite being garbage at execution. She has a lot of ways to make life miserable for your opponent, and there are no matchups where you just feel like you can't do anything. (Although the Guile and Deejay matchups kinda suck, as do charge character matchups in general, to a lesser extent.)

There's also a variety of ways to play her. I never feel like I'm stuck in a rut with her. She has a lot of stuff you can try, and ways to improve. She's quite deep while still being very accessible to newbies.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Bebo only wants people to play Cammy so he can take advantage of the Honda-Cammy matchup. He just wants to win more FT10s.

This is the guy who called Curexo a fraud with a fraud character...

And then proceeded to 10-0 him.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/news/2012/5/18/ttt2-rumor-images-of-kunimitsu-ogre-and-angel.html

This game now has everyone I really wanted. Wouldn't mind Forrest, Alex or P. Jack but whatever, Kunimitsu's all I need.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Alex: make raptor sounds while you play Roger, P Jack: customize Jack to make him shinier, Forrest: squint a little bit but don't even really loving do this because they're the goddamn same.

quanch
Dec 18, 2003
you definitely dont need rose's 1f links to be able to do decent with her while learning the game. cr. medium punch into soul spiral is a decent enough combo if you are a noob and all of her pokes are really good.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

quanch posted:

you definitely dont need rose's 1f links to be able to do decent with her while learning the game. cr. medium punch into soul spiral is a decent enough combo if you are a noob and all of her pokes are really good.

Drills are unsafe on block from any range where they'll actually combo from a non-counterhit low strong. If you don't hitconfirm into drills, they're unsafe on block. If you do them from a range where they ARE safe, they won't actually combo.

Rose isn't easy to play well because you have to know the right spacing for making drills safe during pressure and also be able to hitconfirm into them safely to actually do damage. Sure, you can do decently against other new players as a new player while playing Rose, but the same can be said for nearly every character in the game. If you're just doing low strong into drill over and over again and you come up against a Ken player who might not be good but knows he can fierce dp your drills every time, you're going to lose because the only thing you know is bad and unsafe.

If you want a character you can just 2-in-1 with all day, play Ryu. Low forward into fireball is a lot safer and he's an all around better and easier to use character than Rose.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

Cat Machine posted:

I've never seen you at a session?? Who are you? Please stop saying wrong things about Scotland/northern UK's fighting game scene, because it sounds like you're upset that people don't play MBAA and are grossly generalising a really good group of players.

I'm disappointed that Irysa never comes to 1LU sessions any more because he was a cool guy and got people into some alternative fighters. I assume since you know Irysa you know Paladin (Michael) too. He still regularly shows up to get KOF practice in and could probably tell you about how the scene in general is really good up here.

Genuinely, what effort have you made to raise awareness of MBAA in the country? I haven't seen any.

As for your assertions re: the obsession with SFxT/SF4/MVC3:
- SFxT is dead up here. There hasn't been a tournament since launch week and probably never will be again.
- SF4 has been in steady decline for a while but I really don't have much issue with people liking and/or playing that game if it's their thing. You can't get upset with people hating on MBAA then turn round and badmouth someone else's game of choice.
- You're right that Marvel 3 is super popular but I don't think that's particularly damning of the Scottish/UK scene in general when it seems to be the biggest FG in the West right now.
- KOFXIII had a 3 month ranking battle season (which Irysa conveniently didn't bother attending after winning the first one and then decided that still made him the best player) and the last UK major had three Scots in top 8 for the game. GigaD, aka the guy who knows the most poo poo about KOF in the UK, said our scene is one of the best along with London and Manchester.
- A Scottish SoulCalibur player just got 2nd at i45 in London.
- We're currently in the middle of a 3 month Skullgirls ranking battle season.
- Two weeks ago we had a £100 Third Strike tournament, and players from the scene have had top 8 placing in multiple majors in the past year or two for the game.

Sorry to get into a somewhat personal argument on SA but I can't believe some of the stuff being said by this guy who seemingly has never attended an event.
Yeah I run a lot of events up here. The 3S scene in Glasgow is really good (we got two teams to top 4 at the last UK major :shobon: ) and Dundee have a fighting game club called Giant Attack which is doing really well for itself.
IDK maybe there's some secret glasgow scene that ive never properly gotten a chance to hang out with. I used to go to that big LAN center place a few times, the place with the underground bit where they held that SSF4 event, which was pretty cool. It shut down or something and apparently the new place to play FGs in glasgow is levelup which has been miserable every time I've gone there. Like I said, the issue I have with the place isn't the games, it's the people who just seem to not give a poo poo. Like I'd go play SSF4 against randoms and just mess around with my lovely dictator and like noone seemed to really give a poo poo about winning or losing or even the game they were playing at all. Some guy kept trying to antiair me with that weird feilong crouch punch thing and i told him its really easy for me to bait it and he should try using flamekick instead and the guy just kinda ignored me. I got similar kind of feel from most of the people at levelup, like they just don't really care about trying to get better or anything. I went with Irysa a couple times and set up kof, breakers, MB, whatever, and we'd encourage people to sit down and try it, but they never stuck around, so I stopped going since Glasgow is a decent trek for me. The only people in that place I like to see (infy, paladin, couple others) I usually see at MB meetups anyway.

As a disclaimer it's been over a year since I was last in levelup so I dunno if it's better now. I'll admit not playing any of the current "popular" games is part of the reason but I'd be honestly happy to sit and mash some horseshit marvel or kof13 if the players just weren't so...boring. If it's as good as you say it is I might try to get through there in the summer. Maybe you're right and I didn't give it a fair chance. The other dude mentioned hyespotting but I didn't go to hypespotting since we got refused permission to set up MB.

EDIT: I also asked irysa about it since he actually lives in glasgow and gets involved with the scene but he pretty much just had this to say:

[10:55] <Irysa> [10:54:08] <+Sabator> I'm disappointed that Irysa never comes to 1LU sessions any more because he was a cool guy and got people into some alternative fighters.
[10:55] <Irysa> if i had an SA account
[10:55] <Irysa> id post and call him out
[10:55] <Irysa> this is ballocks
[10:55] <Irysa> nobody else
[10:55] <Irysa> ever cared
[10:55] <Irysa> lol
[10:55] <Irysa> it was me and michael
[10:55] <Irysa> only
[10:55] <Irysa> all day
[10:55] <Irysa> in thecorner
[10:55] <Irysa> playing 2k2um and mbaa
[10:55] <Irysa> [10:54:23] <+Sabator> - KOFXIII had a 3 month ranking battle season (which Irysa conveniently didn't bother attending after winning the first one and then decided that still made him the best player) and the last UK major had three Scots in top 8 for the game. GigaD, aka the guy who knows the most poo poo about KOF in the UK, said our scene is one of the best along with London and Manchester
[10:56] <Irysa> this is not why i stopped coming
[10:56] <Irysa> i didnt come because I loving hate kof xiii
--
[10:59] <Irysa> then 13 came out and I came for one week/ranbat and played but decided I hated KoF XIII beacuse it was so blatantly not KoF
[10:59] <Irysa> so i didnt wanna play it anymore
[10:59] <Irysa> AND
[10:59] <Irysa> then they said
[10:59] <Irysa> i couldn't run mb
[10:59] <Irysa> at levelup
[10:59] <Irysa> so i stopped going

FWIW irysa is super loving annoying at times and im amazed you guys can tolerate him at your events heh.

EDIT 2: to reiterate here i dont want to get like super defensive about this because i've only been to levelup like 4 times, and not within the past year, so i'm fully willing to accept the possibility that its actually a great scene and i just had a few standout lovely experiences, and if i get the time and money i might drop by again to mash some marvel or whatever. I'm just telling you my own personal experiences of going there that really put me off the scene. Shelling out like £15 return with a 2 hour trip each way is bad enough to play a bunch of games I don't really like, but when even the social aspect of it isn't great you can see why I'd get annoyed, right?

Popehoist fucked around with this message at 11:12 on May 19, 2012

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
Don't give people tips while you are playing unless you are specifically playing to teach someone. That is very obnoxious. Do it afterwards.

Converting mass numbers of people to another game is difficult, as you have noticed! Getting mad because you can't is pretty lame, dude.

You have to look at it from other people's perspective- can you figure out why people would not want to bet on that horse?

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?

40 OZ posted:

That is very obnoxious.
Being Sabator is also very obnoxious to experience so take all those stories with that in mind!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

If anyone is interested IPW did a really good FGC Podcast concept hosted by Max feat. Fubarduck, Magus1234 and Aris.

http://youtu.be/nQ1XnK-VwkU

Max makes for a great discussion moderator and it kind of reminds me of Live on Three without the hours of StarCraft talk before they ever get around to talking about fighting games.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 19, 2012

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

40 OZ posted:

Don't give people tips while you are playing unless you are specifically playing to teach someone. That is very obnoxious. Do it afterwards.
The gently caress is wrong with giving people tips in casuals? The whole point of casuals is to get practice and improve your game and you have to be a giant loving baby to get upset about that. Giving tips afterwards is pointless because they can't actually practice the advice you've given them until they play you (or someone else who uses your character and plays a similar way) again.

I get tips in casuals all the time, kof crew used to do it to me when I was learning that game and it was super helpful to hear something like "try hopping that instead of trying to snakearm it" and then actually trying it and hey it works now i'm a little less bad.

quote:

Converting mass numbers of people to another game is difficult, as you have noticed! Getting mad because you can't is pretty lame, dude.

You have to look at it from other people's perspective- can you figure out why people would not want to bet on that horse?

Cool it's time to state in this discussion for the third time that it's not about the games. I'm quite happy to go mash some poo poo like sf4/marvel and i can play it at a basic mashy level, it's obviously not my first choice but i'll take it if it's there. What put me off levelup was the combination of lovely games AND lovely attitudes. In comparison I always have a good time when I go down to London and play AE or whatever just because the people down there are generally friendlier and less spergy.

Popehoist fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 20, 2012

Dingus Egg
May 23, 2005

I find people giving out advice while I'm playing them very obnoxious too, and I don't do it personally. If I want advice I'll ask questions, and I try to keep that to after the set or at least in between games. Same goes for doling out tips, I keep quiet unless I'm asked something (in which case I'm happy to answer), and then after we're done playing I might give a bit of advice if I see a particularly bad habit or something.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

40 OZ posted:

Aren't casuals just meant for fun and if someone wants to help you they give you tips? Isn't it fine to just tell someone 'can we talk about tips later' if you really, really don't want them? It's casuals, it's not like mid-tournament or something where it would be hilariously insulting to give tips.

Maybe it's a difference in environment but the people I sometimes play FGs with here in the Hawaii scene give each other midgame tips all the time and no one gets mad. I'm almost inclined to think that people who get pissed about it are taking offense that you're rubbing in the fact that they don't know everything about a videogame. Of course, that's not the aim at all.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I wouldn't tend to give tips mid match, but after a game ends I think it's alright to give out advice. So if you're playing a set of 2 out of 3 games, they get a chance to try what you've told them on you.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Okay, I've been trying to use GGPO, but when I log in, I'm the only one in the room, and I lose my connection in about ten seconds after logging in. I've googled the problem, and found about two threads that are basically:

"Hey, I'm having this problem."

"Oh, really? Never happened to me before. Sucks for you."

"Oh, yeah, try this."

"I tried that, didn't work."

"How 'bout this?"

"No."

"Did you try THIS?"

"Yeah, still doesn't work."

"How about--"

And so forth. I opened the proper ports, etc. Anyone know what to do?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

dj_de posted:

Being Sabator is also very obnoxious to experience so take all those stories with that in mind!
Yeah... I asked around the local community after I read that initial post and it seems he has a reputation for being obnoxious and childish irl.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

Cat Machine posted:

Yeah... I asked around the local community after I read that initial post and it seems he has a reputation for being obnoxious and childish irl.

Which is complete bullshit because I have never once identified myself as sabator IRL while at levelup. It's a nickname I've never used outside melty scene. Every time I've been at levelup I introduced myself w/ my real name. Thanks for blindly believing peoples bald faced lies though!

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
please shut up about your stupid regional drama.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Question Mark Mound posted:

I wouldn't tend to give tips mid match, but after a game ends I think it's alright to give out advice. So if you're playing a set of 2 out of 3 games, they get a chance to try what you've told them on you.

I don't give out tips during a match because, even if I'm the better player, I'm not that good at multitasking or articulating what's going on while it's happening. :ohdear:

That said when I was first learning fighting games it was incredibly useful to get advice from someone who beat you. The only thing I find really condescending is people who realize you're bad/new and goof off during the match. And sometimes even that can teach you to adapt to situations you hadn't considered before.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't give out tips during a match because, even if I'm the better player, I'm not that good at multitasking or articulating what's going on while it's happening. :ohdear:

That said when I was first learning fighting games it was incredibly useful to get advice from someone who beat you. The only thing I find really condescending is people who realize you're bad/new and goof off during the match. And sometimes even that can teach you to adapt to situations you hadn't considered before.
Goofing off is a tough one. There are some (at the time) newer players in the BlazBlue scene last time I was into it who would get annoyed at you going all out on them because they're new and don't have a chance of winning. Then there's the one guy which I assume every scene has who freaks out when he gets destroyed, so you have to let him get a few hits in lest he have another hissyfit.

Personally, losing to someone far better than me is FAR more enjoyable than beating someone that I'm better than. We have a great Tekken player here and, for the short time T6 was played, it was a load of fun going up against him. Every time we played, I could notice me maybe lasting an extra 5 seconds before losing, or getting one extra hit in per round. Nothing big, but there was an actual goal to reach and a sense of accomplishment.

If I'm playing someone who isn't going all out on me, I'll probably just learn really bad habits, like thinking moves are safe when they're not, etc.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

stay depressed posted:

please shut up about your stupid regional drama.

This, use SRK regional chat for drama I'm pretty sure that is what it was made for.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Popehoist posted:

Which is complete bullshit because I have never once identified myself as sabator IRL

Well I would hope so.

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth

nickmeister posted:

Okay, I've been trying to use GGPO, but when I log in, I'm the only one in the room, and I lose my connection in about ten seconds after logging in. I've googled the problem, and found about two threads that are basically:

"Hey, I'm having this problem."

"Oh, really? Never happened to me before. Sucks for you."

"Oh, yeah, try this."

"I tried that, didn't work."

"How 'bout this?"

"No."

"Did you try THIS?"

"Yeah, still doesn't work."

"How about--"

And so forth. I opened the proper ports, etc. Anyone know what to do?

I had a real lovely router that didn't handle port forwarding properly. see if you can do it as a straight connection and change the ports through the modem.

Toilet.Duck
Jul 13, 2006
Cleanest ever!
For whoever was asking for games in the Yorkshire area we just wrapped up a series of local events in Middlesbrough for the academic year, get on the North East forums on neoempire or check out teesside fight club on facebook. We aim to meet every Saturday at teesside university but people be able to help you out if you need a transport advice or any other questions. KOF is pretty much the main game (crazy I know!) but people will usually be open minded to play a bit of everything with enough demand

Have a hastily thrown together promo of some of the shenanigans that happened while the whole thing gets uploaded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zFX6AeeJgY

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?
I've been playing Jojos regularly lately at offline sessions and this one time a guy watched me and another guy playing and said the game looked like poo poo and that made me sad...

Time to become swedish jojo-sabator!!!!:sweden: #yareyaredaze #bloodycountryfucks #caesar

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."

Toilet.Duck posted:

For whoever was asking for games in the Yorkshire area we just wrapped up a series of local events in Middlesbrough for the academic year, get on the North East forums on neoempire or check out teesside fight club on facebook. We aim to meet every Saturday at teesside university but people be able to help you out if you need a transport advice or any other questions. KOF is pretty much the main game (crazy I know!) but people will usually be open minded to play a bit of everything with enough demand

Have a hastily thrown together promo of some of the shenanigans that happened while the whole thing gets uploaded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zFX6AeeJgY

Ah, I see! I'm in York, so that's reasonable as a day trip. Will people have time for a dude who's enthusiastic but terrible at everything?

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

tala e fonua posted:

It's casuals, it's not like mid-tournament or something where it would be hilariously insulting to give tips.

Popehoist posted:

The gently caress is wrong with giving people tips in casuals?

Let's have a sperg-off about FG etiquette.

Maybe I am a relic from the arcades but if you think it would be natural to drop your quarters in a machine and give another player (who you don't know) tips while you are playing them, you are crazy. It isn't so much that people would get butthurt, they would just think you are autistic. Please note that trash-talk would be perfectly acceptable, yet coaching your opponent is not.

(*yes there are exceptions i'm not talking about after you have thrashed someone 5 games in a row)

But hey arcades are dead. If I just meet you and we start playing casuals at a ranbat, it is obnoxious for you to start coaching me on how to win while I am playing you. If you are really good and I am playing you, then you are improving my game anyways! :cool:

What people typically do, is after the set (which will either be a first-to-something or just play until "okay last 3 games man") you will discuss the matchup with the other guy. Like, "Oh man, I have no idea how to AA that poo poo!" "_____ setup is a safejump, fyi" etc.

-Most people want a chance to figure things out for themselves and experiment
-You might not be as smart as you think
-It screws up the match in progress
-It is incredibly difficult to hear a pro-tip and immediately apply it to your game, it's much easier to think about what you did wrong after and use a different approach next set

I can go further, but to begin with, I'm more curious if what I'm describing sounds like the norm, or just in my area.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

I went to university at Teesside, I missed out by a year or two I guess, I was part of the poker society but the only games ones met in that Camel's Hump pub or whatever it was called and played random games, or were making games. Looks really sick and the name is hilarious, I still don't understand why Parmos are popular it's like chicken covered in cheese then dipped 10 times in grease.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Since I play with a small number of people for a long time, after a while if I notice something I'll give them tips during the match and vice-versa. But I guess that if I played a first-to-three with a guy I wouldn't really say anything until the set is done.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
These are my rules and they have served me well:

- Don't give people advice during a live match (unless you're trying to rile them up (mindgames))
- Don't give people unsolicited advice between games unless you know them well or there's definitely mutual respect and the advice is easy to integrate
- Do solicit advice with smart, directed questions about specific moves or strategies that are working against you (after every single game if possible, after the session if it's not)

Basically don't tell people stuff they don't want to hear but if you want to get better you should ask questions constantly. A lot of the time people who are better than you will keep their mouths shut not because they're hiding info but because they don't want to commit a social faux pas and you will level up ridiculously fast if you can show that you want to learn.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!

Mio Bison posted:

- Don't give people advice during a live match (unless you're trying to rile them up (mindgames))
- Don't give people unsolicited advice between games unless you know them well or there's definitely mutual respect and the advice is easy to integrate
- Do solicit advice with smart, directed questions about specific moves or strategies that are working against you (after every single game if possible, after the session if it's not)

Basically don't tell people stuff they don't want to hear but if you want to get better you should ask questions constantly. A lot of the time people who are better than you will keep their mouths shut not because they're hiding info but because they don't want to commit a social faux pas and you will level up ridiculously fast if you can show that you want to learn.

I did this the other day during casuals at a tournament and now I feel bad. :(:

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Mio Bison posted:

Yep.

The newbies in our scene are pretty strong evidence of this. The guy who shows up every month and tells everyone about his great Hakan setups is still as free as the wind. The guys who pay attention and ask how to deal with the things that are beating them have gone leaps and bounds.

Also a required addendum to all FGC social rules: Please practice at least moderate to good personal hygiene. Impeccable personal hygiene is preferred. Don't be that guy.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Mio Bison posted:

Yeah, that's getting into "chess rear end in a top hat" territory. Might win you the game, may also get you your nose broken.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!
So I have a question as a first time EVO attender. Where do casuals take place? I'm assuming there will be a lot of down time between when I'm playing a tournament match and not, so I want to be playing casuals. I also want to meet up with some people I've met online to play casuals, so where would a good place to do that be? I know there is a BYOC area but I assume that's more for people that are playing games not being featured.

Smegmatron posted:

Also a required addendum to all FGC social rules: Please practice at least moderate to good personal hygiene. Impeccable personal hygiene is preferred. Don't be that guy.

Its really embarrassing this is a problem at tournaments but its a really big problem.

eSKAObar
Sep 27, 2003
Ask me about our everyday low prices!

SpaceBees posted:

So I have a question as a first time EVO attender. Where do casuals take place? I'm assuming there will be a lot of down time between when I'm playing a tournament match and not, so I want to be playing casuals. I also want to meet up with some people I've met online to play casuals, so where would a good place to do that be? I know there is a BYOC area but I assume that's more for people that are playing games not being featured.
The BYOC areas will have featured and non-featured games. When I say areas, I mean pretty everything that's not being used for tournament is a BYOC area. If you can find an empty wall socket or powerstrip, that's yours. There are always never enough casual setups, so bringing it will be greatly appreciated from everyone.

This might be obvious but, don't play casuals in the tournament areas! Evo's going to be packed this year so it's hard for the judges can keep an eye on what stations are playing what. I'm judging pools until 8pm and I would very much like to get out of there and get on with my saturday night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toilet.Duck
Jul 13, 2006
Cleanest ever!

Six Of Spades posted:

Ah, I see! I'm in York, so that's reasonable as a day trip. Will people have time for a dude who's enthusiastic but terrible at everything?

Since we are the opposite end of the country to the 'blads' everyone is pretty chill, theres usually a steady run of about 5-6 alternating people though it may quiet down with it nearly being out of term time. Again check neoempire/fightclub and see what's up. If you can make the trip we usually run from 12 til ~5 if that's worthwhile enough.

• Locked thread