Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
The solution is to launch New Vegas via NVSE or the 4GB executable. That won't overwrite your .ini files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

It overwrites my ini files and I launch through NVSE. But that might have something to do with having steam set to run as an administrator for Vampire: Bloodlines. Also, doesn't the 4GB Executable cause stability issues?

Personally I just modified the default ini because that's the one that it uses to overwrite.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Wait, so what you're saying is that you're literally not changing anything in the .ini? So when you crack it open after a CTD, the fonts section still registers all of the DarnUI changes, and simply copy / pasting over this section with identical information allows the game to run again?

If that's true, that's bizarre. On the other hand, having valid but incorrect fonts in your .ini wouldn't cause a CTD, anyway. You'd just have oversized, mongoloid fonts.

That's exactly what I'm saying.

I have no idea. :iiam:

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Does anyone have any recommendations for the Robco mod? There are three possible paths (inventor, scientist, certified) and I'm wondering which is the most useful option, considering the perk investment each path requires.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Perfect Potato posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for the Robco mod? There are three possible paths (inventor, scientist, certified) and I'm wondering which is the most useful option, considering the perk investment each path requires.

It's a good mod that's been maintained by a goon. He's got more patience than me to deal with the Nexus crowd.

Also, the 4chan crowd is hilarious right now. They've been lurking and totally raging against us and goons in general for trying to protect someone else's hosting and bandwidth - you know, because it's free and they're entitled to leeching off it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Perfect Potato posted:

Certified has the cool iconic bots, and they tend to be more powerful, but its really up to the RNG if you can get them early. There's a guarenteed Mr. Handy in Goodsprings, and Chet can get Protectrons/Securitrons mk. 1 on a fairly regular basis, but it is a pain in the rear end to move up the tiers.

The other two paths make it way easier to build an army of bots early on, but they're usually more limited than the Robco ones. Also Cyberroaches were super buggy for me, I could never make them until I got the final Science perk that gives you an item to spawn them. As a side note this makes Dead Money so much less infuriating as you can spawn 12 disposable cockroach minions to rush the Ghost People while you cower somewhere.

Really though there are a ton of neat hidden robots and any of the paths will serve you pretty well. I usually go for all 3 and have a mix of bots (pick up the Robco Jumpsuit and Control helmet ASAP.)

I still haven't figured out how to build Cyber Scorpions though I'm guessing thats because I still haven't played OWBs.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope
Went back to playing Vegas, added a few mods (EVE 1.13 patch, Mission Mojave, latest improved shaders, latest Interior Lighting Overhaul), and now my game crashes when I try to access people's buy menus. Has anyone had this problem? I deactivated Mission Mojave but that didn't seem to solve the problem.

My current load order is:

IWS-Core.esm
CINEMATECH.esm
Military Explansion Program.esm
Interior Lighting Overhaul - Core.esm
Project Nevada - Core.esm
rePopulated Wasteland.esm
aHUD.esm
iHUD.esm
New Vegas Redesigned II.esm
Project Nevada - Rebalance.esp
DWCNV.esm
CASM.esp
The Mod Configuration Menu.esp
Better Burned Man.esp
Lucky38MarkerV3.esp
XFO - 9a - Enemies - AI revamp.esp
XFO - 9da - Enemies - NPC Healing - low.esp
Project Nevada - Dead Money.esp
Project Nevada - Old World Blues (No Cyberware).esp
Project Nevada - Lonesome Road.esp
Project Nevada - Gun Runners' Arsenal.esp
Existence2.0.esp
NVEC Complete Improved Sound FX Patch.esp
RNVExtended[60]v3b1.esp
BlackMountainRadioEverywhere.esp
IWS-Core-Patrols.esp
IWS-Core-Civilians.esp
VisualDrugs.esp
Advanced Recon Gear.esp
Advanced Recon Tech.esp
Better Binoculars High.esp
Advanced Recon Gear - Project Nevada.esp
FlashlightNVSE.esp
Roberts_NewVegas.esp
Tailor Maid - NV.esp
NVR- Recommended.esp
dD - Enhanced Blood Main NV.esp
EVE FNV.esp
FNVEnhancedShaders - AA-DOF Enable.esp
SimpleStreetLights (Extra Lights).esp
Vurt's WFO.esp
ProjectRealityMkIv5HDR.esp
Interior Lighting Overhaul - Ultimate Edition.esp
OWB-Path Lights.esp
DYNAVISION 2 - Dynamic Lens Effect.esp
ELECTRO-CITY - Imaginator.esp
Directors Chair.esp
Improved Ballistics Effects V2.esp
Cosmetic Cigarettes.esp
evilkarmatweak.esp
Couriersclothes.esp
CamOneLoC.esp

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
How do mods/weapons work with Requiem for the Capital Wasteland? If I have Project Nevada et al installed, do those weapons show up in DC? Or just weapons that appeared in Fallout 3?

On the same note, how do texture packs work with it? I want to run Neil MC's Fallout 3 texture pack as well.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Gyshall posted:

How do mods/weapons work with Requiem for the Capital Wasteland? If I have Project Nevada et al installed, do those weapons show up in DC? Or just weapons that appeared in Fallout 3?

On the same note, how do texture packs work with it? I want to run Neil MC's Fallout 3 texture pack as well.

Only FO3 weapons and mods show up in DC in the current version. None of the FO3 levelled lists were updated. Also, doesn't Project Nevada simply restore the old weapons anyways?

I'm not sure about texture packs, but I would assume that it'd be the same as normal: just dump that poo poo in the data directory and it'll work. Most of FNV's assets are identical to FO3's, so it shouldn't cause many issues.

You might want to hold off until the next version comes out though (it's due early June). It's going to merge the New Vegas and FO3 plugin files into a single master, which apparently fixes a lot of the weird bugs that RFCW currently has, particularly with Room/Portal Markers and navmeshes.

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

The city looks almost bearable from up here.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Meanwhile, if anybody has any interest in trying out Project Wasteland Vision, I've modified the .esp to get rid of fullscreen motion blur and some translation issues that caused a few locations having hosed up names. The entire mod weighs in at about 65kb and basically functions as an "all-in-one" weather overhaul and lights, distance blur, and color enhancer. It's like Babby's first Imaginator, and it makes for some pretty awesome scenery.

Link

I know it's a long shot, but any chance you still have this file around somewhere? Figured there would be something else I'd prefer by now but everything seems to be going for photorealism with a bunch of extra poo poo (nevada skies, project reality). I'm trying out western skies but it's basically been the same drat sky with the samn drat clouds for a week (in-game) now.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Antignition posted:

I know it's a long shot, but any chance you still have this file around somewhere? Figured there would be something else I'd prefer by now but everything seems to be going for photorealism with a bunch of extra poo poo (nevada skies, project reality). I'm trying out western skies but it's basically been the same drat sky with the samn drat clouds for a week (in-game) now.

:ohdear: No, I'm sorry, I got rid of that copy a while ago. Maybe another user on here still has it?

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

Ah, well I'm not surprised. Is it a difficult/tedious process removing all the motion blur crap from the .esp? If not I'll just have a go at it myself.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Antignition posted:

Ah, well I'm not surprised. Is it a difficult/tedious process removing all the motion blur crap from the .esp? If not I'll just have a go at it myself.

No, it's actually really, really easy. I wish I could give you more details, but it's been too long and the file is now ~140 MB to download and poke around.

Best bet is to open the plugin up in FNVEdit and look for new and modified entries with "blur" in their description. Set values to '0' to disable them.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The Armory still unavailable? I'm gearing up for a jsawyer.esp + Project Nevada + CCO (With Jsawyer overriding stuff through a custom patch) and I'm looking for any good mods of note that have come since... oh... December or so.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Gyshall posted:

The Armory still unavailable? I'm gearing up for a jsawyer.esp + Project Nevada + CCO (With Jsawyer overriding stuff through a custom patch) and I'm looking for any good mods of note that have come since... oh... December or so.

http://happygeckosoftware.com/TA/

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Thanks much, Anime Schoolgirl.

I was able to find links for Radio New Vegas - Secret Stash - are there any other radio mods that extend the default stations in game I should try to find?

KFJ
Nov 7, 2009
Well, it's pretty much that time when I get a hankering to sink 30-40 hours into New Vegas, although I'm very unsure if I want to play FO3 or NV - NV has more... "Pleasant" mods, in my opinion, since FWE is just brutal but Project Nevada is just right, so I was wondering, how well does the Capital Wasteland mod for NV work? Is it at all stable? Can I do any quests?

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Gyshall posted:

It's available. Our new hosting is now meant for everyone, public and SA alike until it gets taken down. We only took down samods' links because the offer was made on the basis that it was for goons and we didn't want to be a burden to Magic/have his hosting removed or a larger bill than expected due to excessive bandwidth use because everyone ended up using it. We could have gone through a lot of different hoops to make it difficult on the public to get the new updates and such but clearly people are enjoying it (and hating on us in the process, which only amuses us greatly) so let 'em use it regardless.

That being said, if the new hosting is removed due to excessive bandwidth use before 3.0 is released, then I guess we'll be forced to release it via torrent or something but I'm not going to bother with the free upload sites that'll force me to split the FOMOD into like 6 different pieces, especially since 100+ hits of a 1GB file will almost assuredly result in them removing the files anyway.

I guess our stance is: download it or don't download it, accept the content within it or don't, hate us or like us, we honestly. don't. care. We make the mod firstly for ourselves, secondly for the enjoyment of the people in this forum who basically test it for us, and thirdly for whoever else wants to use it afterwards by word of mouth or whatever. 3.0's going to be the last release of the mod, at least with my involvement, so once it's completed and goes into the wild I'll more or less be washing my hands of it. It'll be up to the community(ies) to keep the links alive once ours disappear.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Will the unique weapons be in-world in 3.0?

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

The Lone Badger posted:

Will the unique weapons be in-world in 3.0?

That's up to AS, but I would assume no based on history.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Has anyone else had issues extracting any files from the Armory 2.5 update? There's a specific file in the HK1911 folder "Scope2" that has a Russian suffix and I get a data error each time I try to extract it, regardless of program. What the gently caress?

e: Everything else is working fine though. Weird.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 25, 2012

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Question for those more in touch with the modding community than I:
Has the AddSpellNS function (the one that lets you add an effect to the player without displaying a message) finally been added to NVSE? The functionality has been in NVSE's sister project, FOSE, since forever, and I've been waiting for the better part of a year for them to port it over.

Also, an update on CCO:
Some final tweaks to the Gameplay Changes module have been finished, mostly involving how player HP is calculated.

I'm also working on rebalancing the perks added by DLCs. Some of them seem woefully underpowered (Junk Rounds) while others seem pretty broken. The OWB perks are the biggest offenders, actually - one perk gives you immunity to poison, everything heals 25% more, and robots are half as likely to crit you? That's more than you get from having Arcade, an actual doctor, with you. And you get this for free at the start of the DLC? :psyduck:

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

Cirosan posted:

Question for those more in touch with the modding community than I:
Has the AddSpellNS function (the one that lets you add an effect to the player without displaying a message) finally been added to NVSE? The functionality has been in NVSE's sister project, FOSE, since forever, and I've been waiting for the better part of a year for them to port it over.

Also, an update on CCO:
Some final tweaks to the Gameplay Changes module have been finished, mostly involving how player HP is calculated.

I'm also working on rebalancing the perks added by DLCs. Some of them seem woefully underpowered (Junk Rounds) while others seem pretty broken. The OWB perks are the biggest offenders, actually - one perk gives you immunity to poison, everything heals 25% more, and robots are half as likely to crit you? That's more than you get from having Arcade, an actual doctor, with you. And you get this for free at the start of the DLC? :psyduck:

So I asked CoP what he suggested for an overhaul that encourages very different builds and styles of play (still found myself getting too many drat skillpoints with jsawyer, unfortunately) and he heartily recommended your mod. Looking over the details it looks like a good fit for what I'm looking for, but at this point would it be better to wait for the next release?

Also, I see you increased the HP of most enemies across the board. Would you say combat is more lethal across the board (like PN-rebalance and jsawyer?), the same as vanilla, or more bullet-spongey?

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

fennesz posted:

Has anyone else had issues extracting any files from the Armory 2.5 update? There's a specific file in the HK1911 folder "Scope2" that has a Russian suffix and I get a data error each time I try to extract it, regardless of program. What the gently caress?

e: Everything else is working fine though. Weird.

Huh. Odd. I enabled cyrillic support ages ago for those random russian mods, but I didn't know about that error. I've corrected it now, although I'm not entirely certain that it's even used so either way it'll be gone in 3.0's release.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Naky posted:

Huh. Odd. I enabled cyrillic support ages ago for those random russian mods, but I didn't know about that error. I've corrected it now, although I'm not entirely certain that it's even used so either way it'll be gone in 3.0's release.

Yeah I saw that it was just a scope and ignored it. Everything else works great though, definitely enjoying the latest iteration.

I still say that you should try to find a musket or flintlock pistols for 3.0!

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Antignition posted:

So I asked CoP what he suggested for an overhaul that encourages very different builds and styles of play (still found myself getting too many drat skillpoints with jsawyer, unfortunately) and he heartily recommended your mod. Looking over the details it looks like a good fit for what I'm looking for, but at this point would it be better to wait for the next release?

Also, I see you increased the HP of most enemies across the board. Would you say combat is more lethal across the board (like PN-rebalance and jsawyer?), the same as vanilla, or more bullet-spongey?
I just finished up the first release version of CCO yesterday evening, actually. All that's left to do is update the documentation - my least favorite part. If you like, I could just upload the mod files on my own website; they'd have outdated documentation, but everything is fairly self-explanatory.

HP calculations were changed in this release. The HP bonuses for level-up have been restored, but are much lesser. The old formula zeroed them out entirely, which was very shortsighted of me, since it meant that everything was totally dependent on Endurance and you got no HP from leveling up.

CCO's old formula for player HP was:
HP = Base value + (Endurance x 25)

The new formula is:
HP = Base value + (Endurance x 25) + (Level x 2)

The Endurance multiplier has been increased by 5, but the level multiplier has been decreased by 3. This means you'll have marginally more HP than you would start with in vanilla, but your HP will scale much more slowly. Also, the maximum possible HP you can have is decreased.

CCO's old NPC HP formula was:
NPC HP = Base value + (Endurance x 15) + (Level x 5)

Which gave them too big of a multiplier based on their Endurance. The vanilla formula for NPC HP was:
NPC HP = Base value + (Endurance x 5) + (Level x 5)

Now they use the same derivatives as the player (increase END multiplier by 5, lower level multiplier by 3):
NPC HP = Base value + (Endurance x 10) + (Level x 2)

To answer your question, this means that combat is more lethal across the board. Everyone's HP is still based on their stats more than anything, but there is a bit of a cushion with the level multiplier. Neither the player nor the NPCs are bullet sponges; it just means that their stats are the key factor in deciding the difficulty of a battle.

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

That sounds exactly like what I'm after. I'd prefer to wait until the documentation is done, as I'd like to go over the changes (i.e. you changed the HP stuff pretty significantly - for the better - in this new version). But if it's going to take you a while I'd give it a try now.

You had mentioned before something about jsawyer compatibility and possible further changes to creatures. Is that being done in this release or something you're looking at further down the road?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Related to CCO - I think you mentioned that you were working on a module with compatibility for Jsawyer.esp. Is that correct? In theory that will make CCO + Project Nevada + Jsawyer all compatible when run together?

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

I wanted to wait on creature changes and the JSawyer compatibility until the main modules of CCO were done. They are now, so there's nothing stopping me. In fact, compatibility with JSawyer is probably what I'll be doing next.

One thing, though: Is rope kid close to releasing a new version soon? Or is what we have now going to be it for a while?

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
The guy who's been handling the Strip Open mod and the recent Restored content mods has released a new mod for Freeside. Incorporates two of the restored content mods, merges the two areas into one big and supposedly restores a bunch of cut filler NPCs and cut one-liners for them all. Might be wise to wait a bit for more bugs to be squashed but it looks good.

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/46355

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Cirosan posted:

I wanted to wait on creature changes and the JSawyer compatibility until the main modules of CCO were done. They are now, so there's nothing stopping me. In fact, compatibility with JSawyer is probably what I'll be doing next.

One thing, though: Is rope kid close to releasing a new version soon? Or is what we have now going to be it for a while?

Not sure, but another question. Would you be able to release a single ESP version of CCO along side the modular version? The only reason I ask - my load order is starting to get really cluttered.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Leinadi posted:

The guy who's been handling the Strip Open mod and the recent Restored content mods has released a new mod for Freeside. Incorporates two of the restored content mods, merges the two areas into one big and supposedly restores a bunch of cut filler NPCs and cut one-liners for them all. Might be wise to wait a bit for more bugs to be squashed but it looks good.

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/46355

Pretty interesting, so far. The author brings up a good point, though: A lot of this stuff was most likely cut because of the engine and hardware constraints. It makes me wonder how different things could be on a better engine, like Skyrim's Creation Engine.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Gyshall posted:

Not sure, but another question. Would you be able to release a single ESP version of CCO along side the modular version? The only reason I ask - my load order is starting to get really cluttered.
Is it possible? Absolutely. Would I? Unfortunately not. While it would be relatively simple to squish everything together into one horrendous amalgamation, the real nightmare would be updating all the patches. I think CCO is up to something ridiculous like two dozen compatibility patches, and each and every one of those would have to be combed over for the merged ESM. It's a little too tedious for my tastes, sorry.

However, keep in mind that CCO is practically open source. If someone else wants to merge everything together, you have my blessing.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Thanks for the explanation. Big fan of your mod.

What is the current best "Strip Overhauled" mod? Looking for "the strip open" type of thing.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Two questions:

Is there a mod that restores enemy spawns to pre-patch 1.3.0.452 state?

Is there a mod that fixes the misaligned iron sights on several weapons?

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Pretty interesting, so far. The author brings up a good point, though: A lot of this stuff was most likely cut because of the engine and hardware constraints. It makes me wonder how different things could be on a better engine, like Skyrim's Creation Engine.
Creation is still Gamebryo with a lot more polish, though. I don't think there are any bigger / more open areas in Skyrim than in New Vegas either, really.

The main bottleneck is probably consoles, which is why modders can do this stuff in the same engine.

myname_isdoug
Jul 9, 2003

i can and i can not

Smol posted:

Two questions:

Is there a mod that restores enemy spawns to pre-patch 1.3.0.452 state?

Is there a mod that fixes the misaligned iron sights on several weapons?

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/38927

?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Woebin posted:

Creation is still Gamebryo with a lot more polish, though. I don't think there are any bigger / more open areas in Skyrim than in New Vegas either, really.

The main bottleneck is probably consoles, which is why modders can do this stuff in the same engine.

Yeah, I know Creation is built on Gamebryo, but--at least for me--it runs so goddamn smooth compared to plain Gamebryo. It's especially noticeable with larger fights: in Skyrim, larger fights run a whole lot better than the larger fights in New Vegas. Plus: No stutter.

Anyway, I guess this is more of a vanilla New Vegas conversation.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Anyone know of a mod that gets rid of, or at least reduces the frequency of, those slow motion death animations? I don't hate them or anything, but they are too frequent and are a little buggy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Douche Bag posted:

Anyone know of a mod that gets rid of, or at least reduces the frequency of, those slow motion death animations? I don't hate them or anything, but they are too frequent and are a little buggy.

There should be an option in Gameplay, I believe, that turns the kill cam off.