Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

I am much like Parappa the rapper in that, "I gotta believe!" because I need luck to make up for lack of play skill.

My opinion might be skewed by the ridiculous sealed pools I've opened, but I'm starting to warm up to this format. Let's see if it's any fun when I don't open all of the good rares in the two deepest colors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Played a sealed pool last night and got my money back by opening Griselbrand and a Cavern of Souls. I ran a BR vampires/humans deck and went 3-1, which exceeded my expectations. I went in completely blind to the majority of spoilers.

I actually ran Griselbrand and got to cast him twice. I also had a few pretty sweet removal cards, the flying 4/3 Demon who makes you sacrifice a creature other than him, the equipment that makes your dude an angel, and then the equipment that boosts your dude if he is a human or angel, which worked pretty well even though I had very few angels.

I also had the red vampire 2cc dude that gets counters whenever dealing damage to a player, and then shoots other guys for the amount of counters on him, who turned out to be a pretty big game for me.

All in all, my first experience with the format was pretty sweet, it is slow and bomb-centric, much like Rise of the Eldrazi was, and I am OK with that.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Turn two blessing of nature is retarded. I lost twice this morning to this in the pre-release online.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

I still don't understand why so many people dislike this format. There's so many different decks you can make, and I'm looking forward to the drafting when you can kind of control things. I will admit that there's a lot of pure blowout potential, (Turn 3 Blessings of Nature miracled onto a wandering wolf) but just as often you have a crazy combo.

I loved watching Rinski's stream and seeing Deadeye Navigator doing work was awesome. Too bad LSV lost out, I think his deck would've been a little easier to deal with.

Count
Apr 28, 2004

Captain Capitalism posted:

I still don't understand why so many people dislike this format. There's so many different decks you can make, and I'm looking forward to the drafting when you can kind of control things. I will admit that there's a lot of pure blowout potential, (Turn 3 Blessings of Nature miracled onto a wandering wolf) but just as often you have a crazy combo.

I loved watching Rinski's stream and seeing Deadeye Navigator doing work was awesome. Too bad LSV lost out, I think his deck would've been a little easier to deal with.

You essentially can't play controllish decks. There isn't any removal to speak of. Creatures are hard to block and especially the green ones are huge & efficient at low costs.

But I only did 1 6x AVR sealed though (which I won :smug:) so maybe there's something I'm missing...

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Count posted:

You essentially can't play controllish decks. There isn't any removal to speak of. Creatures are hard to block and especially the green ones are huge & efficient at low costs.

But I only did 1 6x AVR sealed though (which I won :smug:) so maybe there's something I'm missing...

I've done 2 sealeds and 2 drafts and each time I built a controllish deck with good results.

BR sacrifice, UW flying Terminus tempo, UG durdle the ground and wait for your rares, and Ux Mist Raven recursion.

ProfessionalNinja
Sep 26, 2004
I am the Professional Ninja
Gisela is ridiculous. Just completely turned a game around because of her, the opponent Defanged her and attacked in with his 4/4 angel, and I cast cursebreak on it and blocked, getting rid of all of his air defense (Followed that with a miracle Thunderous Wrath taking them down to 8).
Also, how do I get Divine Deflection to work on MTGO? It lost me my first game, because I prevented X=6, but still took 7 damage from the attack. Does it have to be for the exact amount? Or did I get screwed (even though I won the match, not gonna complain).

Here is my deck (3 colors, I know, shut up. I don't know if I should replace my little 1/1 green dudes for the spider and wolf, probably should, but I didn't wanna mess up Descendant's Path stuff).

ProfessionalNinja fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 18, 2012

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

If you see a Cathars Crusade come down opposite you, just save yourself the time and conceede on the spot. From what i've played against, that, champion of lambholt and silverheart are some of the things you just can't win with if your not blue with bounce in hand or black with its removal.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

ProfessionalNinja posted:

Also, how do I get Divine Deflection to work on MTGO? It lost me my first game, because I prevented X=6, but still took 7 damage from the attack. Does it have to be for the exact amount? Or did I get screwed (even though I won the match, not gonna complain).

Divine Deflection screws up a lot of people because (I can only guess) people don't read the drat card. It's templated much differently than similar spells, so most people don't realize that what you target is the thing that ultimately gets damaged by the spell, and that it just prevents the next X damage dealt to you or any of your guys, whatever that happens to be. You don't target the thing(s) you're trying to save, you target the thing that gets hit in the end.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

You CAN choose how to prevent the damage. Rinski was using it in a match. Basically, if you're getting hit, you click on the Divine Deflection shield to prevent that damage, and click on the creature to prevent the damage to it. You can do it in intervals of 1, or maximum. If you don't, it just randomly prevents damage.

ProfessionalNinja
Sep 26, 2004

meanolmrcloud posted:

If you see a Cathars Crusade come down opposite you, just save yourself the time and conceede on the spot. From what i've played against, that, champion of lambholt and silverheart are some of the things you just can't win with if your not blue with bounce in hand or black with its removal.

I was against a Cathar's Crusade + Herald of War deck + Wolfir Silverheart. Ouch. 2-1 so far though, hopefully I pull through in the end and get my packs!

Once again, raving about Gisela. Holy hell, when she hits the board, there is NOTHING the opponent can do, especially since no one else has been playing any black, and only one person I have gone against has had blue to bounce her, and even then, she still acts as an emblem for "Do double damage and take half damage for the turn".

You CAN choose how to prevent the damage. Rinski was using it in a match. Basically, if you're getting hit, you click on the Divine Deflection shield to prevent that damage, and click on the creature to prevent the damage to it. You can do it in intervals of 1, or maximum. If you don't, it just randomly prevents damage.

I figured it out, I was just retarded the first time and clicked myself as the target, because I thought it meant prevent damage TO what not what to do the damage to. (What Bill O'Reilly said).

Count
Apr 28, 2004

Gisela is ridiculous. Just completely turned a game around because of her, the opponent Defanged her and attacked in with his 4/4 angel, and I cast cursebreak on it and blocked, getting rid of all of his air defense (Followed that with a miracle Thunderous Wrath taking them down to 8).

Here is my deck (3 colors, I know, shut up. I don't know if I should replace my little 1/1 green dudes for the spider and wolf, probably should, but I didn't wanna mess up Descendant's Path stuff).

Thats an awful build. In your case, go for card quality over synergy. Descendants Path isn't worth having 20 crap cards in your deck.

And your black is awesome. I'd probably go black green and play the 2 bracers and Angels Tomb.

ProfessionalNinja
Sep 26, 2004
Yeah, I had a GB deck built beforehand, but decided against it because I have only ever done GB in sealed. Probably should have though, looking back.

So I botted off all my crap and had enough to buy 2 packs. 1st pack nothing, second pack got a Tamiyo :D so I am back in for another sealed event later!

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Descendant's Path is a TERRIBLE card, and your sideboard looks better than your deck. Cut green completely or just play green and some other color. You are basically playing every unplayable from your green pool maindeck and leaving every good green card in your sideboard. Also you're playing infinite god awful humans but not playing Vigilante Justice or Bladed Bracers?

If you cut all the green you'd have to scrounge to find playables so maybe RW isn't what you should be playing. Black is easily your deepest color. Pairing that with white or green would probably give you the best deck for that pool. Whatever it is, the best deck is definitely not a 3 color monstrosity playing infinite 1 mana do nothing 1/1s and 3 mana literal do nothing enchantments.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Just a heads up, there's almost no reason to ever open booster packs in modo. If you're looking for singles you can buy them easily through classifieds, and if you're opening them for money you'll almost always lose out. Especially since a booster is basically 4 dollars off the next draft.

ProfessionalNinja
Sep 26, 2004

Just a heads up, there's almost no reason to ever open booster packs in modo. If you're looking for singles you can buy them easily through classifieds, and if you're opening them for money you'll almost always lose out. Especially since a booster is basically 4 dollars off the next draft.

I just use MTGO to draft, so when I get prize packs that aren't enough for a draft, I open them and sell the cards to get more tickets to hold onto until next time I get a card on paper that I can sell for MTGO drafts. More often than not, the last pack I open is a good enough card to keep me drafting (Lilliana/Garruk in Inn, Sorin/Huntsmaster in DKA and Tamiyo just now). It is very stupid luck, but I'm a gamblin' man.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

It is very stupid luck, but I'm a gamblin' man.

I suppose if you're magically lucky, then open away... but on average you'll get far more selling the unopened packs than trying to sell what comes out of them. I don't know the current stats for Innistrad - but in past sets the expected value of cards has been as low as 1 ticket, while the unopened packs sold for 3.

If you open a lot of packs, you're quite likely losing more than a ticket per pack.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Opened up a Cavern and a Tibalt in my sealed.
I was a bit distracted when building my deck, so I think I probably messed up on adding/not adding a few cards. My opponent round 1 conceded from the match, so I have that going for me.

I was scouting, and someone in the draft has Sigarda, Moonsilver Spear and Silverblade Paladin. Jesus.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

GonSmithe posted:

Opened up a Cavern and a Tibalt in my sealed.
I was a bit distracted when building my deck, so I think I probably messed up on adding/not adding a few cards. My opponent round 1 conceded from the match, so I have that going for me.

I was scouting, and someone in the draft has Sigarda, Moonsilver Spear and Silverblade Paladin. Jesus.

Speaking of Cavern of Souls, Supernova is buying it at 0.4 tix and not listing a sell price, whereas MTGOTraders has none in stock and are listing it at 20~

I wonder what price it is going to settle at.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

rabidsquid posted:

Speaking of Cavern of Souls, Supernova is buying it at 0.4 tix and not listing a sell price, whereas MTGOTraders has none in stock and are listing it at 20~

I wonder what price it is going to settle at.

I would imagine it would settle around 6 since that's where snapcaster is; that's probably about as high as inprint rares will get on MODO.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Just beat the guy with the nuts G/W cards, woohoo!

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

My wife's out of town on business and it's Friday night. I spent my entire lunch break trading cards and 30+ tix for the prerelease and a few standard queues. Let's fuckin' stream some Magic: the Gathering (a Richard Garfield trading card game)! :rock:

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

rinski posted:

My wife's out of town on business and it's Friday night. I spent my entire lunch break trading cards and 30+ tix for the prerelease and a few standard queues. Let's fuckin' stream some Magic: the Gathering (a Richard Garfield trading card game)! :rock:

This has nothing to do with the Diablo 3 servers going down in 20 minutes, does it?

Nevertheless, yay! I wasn't able to catch the one yesterday.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I can't get my dumb browser to let me chat so I've sent a bunch of tweets at rinski :shobon:

Ugh this is making me want to do prerelease events even though the prize structure sucks and it costs more. I'm excited to see if the Behemoth is playable in sealed though.

edit: Well the Craterhoof Behemoth won a game for his opponent in one game. Imagine casting that spell with your opponent on mono mountains and ripping a Craterhoof Behemoth off the top :v:

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 19, 2012

ProfessionalNinja
Sep 26, 2004

Edit - Won first match. Game 1 due to double Heirs, Game 2 I lost to Moonsilver Spear on a hexproof flier, my postgame first card draw was Bonfire (figures), Game 3 I won due to Conscripts taking his 6/4 Wurm thing. I would have won much earlier, but I was stuck on 3 mana with a Taskmaster and 2 essence Harvests, but he used Eaten By Spiders on my Taskmaster when he was at 10 life.

Match 2 went very well. Homicidal Seclusion on a 2/2 shade finished by doing 2 Essence Harvests in a turn.

3-0 so far :D If I 4-0 this, I get ~75 worth of tickets to cash out on (packs and cards).

Split with the guy in the 4th match, since he wanted to get his 35th QP, haha. Said that was his 10th release event.

ProfessionalNinja fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 19, 2012

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Go WR; your black isn't good enough. Toss in Ringleader and Prophet as well.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Yeah, Cathar's Crusade and Riders of Gavony are both fairly nuts in my experience. Obviously you didn't do poorly, but it's just really interesting to me to watch that because I would probably never have considered playing that black over that white. Maybe a splash for the Death Winds, but probably not.

Imp Boy
Feb 8, 2004
Had my best draft ever in FNM tonight, went 3-1 for second place on the back of a Champion of Lambholt and Wolfir Silverheart combo, with Vorstclaw and Dark Imposter pulling up the rear. With a strong set of removals I dominated several strong opponents except for the deck that went undefeated that night, and that one was a 3 rounder that I lost due to a mana lock. I wound up kicking a prize pack back to the guy I played the final match against, for being a generally awesome guy and as a consolation for being knocked out of the prizes by me. I'm starting to really like this game.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Another 3-1 FNM draft here for second place. Went UG on the back of good souldbonders almost exclusively. A single Mist Raven was nice and got insane when used with Nephalia Smuggler.

Finished out one board stall by using Smuggler and Conjurer's Closet to flicker the guy who gives +1/+1 counters multiple times a turn on that 2/1 wolf that can't be blocked by anything with lower power.

Considering the opponent had a paired Silverheart on deck, that took a while.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
Bombed out pretty hard this week, myself. I thought I had a good deck starting out when I opened Burn at the Stake then got passed two Vigilante Justice cards, figured I'd try to build up an All-In R/W Humans with Thatcher Revolt, but ended up getting beat down pretty hard by the Green Stompy decks. Learned a pretty good lesson about what cards are worthwhile in this set, so I won't be making that mistake again.

Also, opening a Tamiyo in your third pack when you're already committed to R/W is a bittersweet feeling. I took the card, but lamented that I hadn't stuck with my plan of drafting U/W Blink-Birds.

ProfessionalNinja
Sep 26, 2004

JerryLee posted:

Yeah, Cathar's Crusade and Riders of Gavony are both fairly nuts in my experience. Obviously you didn't do poorly, but it's just really interesting to me to watch that because I would probably never have considered playing that black over that white. Maybe a splash for the Death Winds, but probably not.

I really am not seeing anything wrong with the black I had, not enough to warrant switching to the white over it. I know riders is great, and crusade is great, but the only cards that were blah were the Corpse Traders (a 3/3 with a nice ability for 4, still) and the Gambit (Which was good for early game essence harvesting).

Loner-style decks are pretty crazy, a turn 3 Taskmaster while stuck on 3 mana is a great staller/race, especially with the harvests.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I really am not seeing anything wrong with the black I had, not enough to warrant switching to the white over it. I know riders is great, and crusade is great, but the only cards that were blah were the Corpse Traders (a 3/3 with a nice ability for 4, still) and the Gambit (Which was good for early game essence harvesting).

Loner-style decks are pretty crazy, a turn 3 Taskmaster while stuck on 3 mana is a great staller/race, especially with the harvests.

Essence Harvest isn't a good card in the slightest and Corpse Traders is one of your best black cards.

ProfessionalNinja
Sep 26, 2004
How long does it usually take for a reimbursement to get through? I put one in because my deck didn't submit even after hitting submit multiple times (while editing the deck) so I was stuck with an 80 card abomination for all round 1s, which sucks, because I have a pretty nice UW flicker deck.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

How long does it usually take for a reimbursement to get through? I put one in because my deck didn't submit even after hitting submit multiple times (while editing the deck) so I was stuck with an 80 card abomination for all round 1s, which sucks, because I have a pretty nice UW flicker deck.

I just got one for a miracle trigger not working (except it was actually my fault, but they gave me my tix back anyway??) and they turned it around in less than 24 hours.

ProfessionalNinja
Sep 26, 2004
Good to know, thanks. I just beat the round 3 guy with my abomination deck, then regular deck. So I at least got my prize pack! It really wasn't that big of a feat, seeing as his deck was UW Walls.dec, he had 3 Angelic Walls, 2 of the castle enchantments (+0/+2 for untapped creatures) and a favorable winds.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Non-sanctioned draft with 9 buddies. Took first place with UG. Wasn't planning on it but a late Forcemage made me think green was open. It wasn't. Just turns out that's how deep green can be. Blue was crazy solid, though, with two Mist Ravens, a smuggler, two Peel From Reality, Into the Void.

Using Peel as a combat trick to return Mist Raven and break an enemy's soulbond and change the dynamics of a block is just crazy powerful for the people who can spot the opportunities.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Non-sanctioned draft with 9 buddies. Took first place with UG. Wasn't planning on it but a late Forcemage made me think green was open. It wasn't. Just turns out that's how deep green can be. Blue was crazy solid, though, with two Mist Ravens, a smuggler, two Peel From Reality, Into the Void.

Using Peel as a combat trick to return Mist Raven and break an enemy's soulbond and change the dynamics of a block is just crazy powerful for the people who can spot the opportunities.

I also won a draft yesterday with a UG deck that had two Mist Raven and two Peel from Reality. Mist Raven and Peel are so drat good together.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

DontMockMySmock posted:

I also won a draft yesterday with a UG deck that had two Mist Raven and two Peel from Reality. Mist Raven and Peel are so drat good together.

There's a part of me that feels like the deck is pretty degenerate. If you don't just utterly bulldoze UG and they get a Raven lock, they can play around so many decks that you would expect to be straight up better. Pretty much everything you want is at common and few uncommons are nice (Druid's Familiar, Nephalia Smuggler, Into the Void, Latch Seeker), but rares are drat near just win-more. Unless you're getting cut hard it seems like you could draft this nearly every time and place high.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I've been winning quite a few matches with black. No one seems to want demonic taskmaster, predator's gambit, or homicidal seclusion -- all of which are winning matches pretty easily. In my first match today I had Treacherous Pit-Dweller passed to me as a 7th pick, which really baffled me as there are few cards that can really deal with him early on that I can think of (and most are black).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I am rather surprised at myself this weekend. I did a few MTGO Avacyn swiss drafts and actually won all but one that I did.

My two main observations about this format so far (Draft Avacyn Restored)

Demonic Taskmaster seems rather underdrafted, and I am more than happy to draft black for the sole purpose of taking this guy. He is awesome.

Entreat the Angels is a broken card. I drafted it twice and both times it just straight up won the draft for me. Peeling it and casting for the miracle cost is just too good.