Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Sinestro posted:

If I overclock an overclockable Catleap, will I be able to run nVidia 3D stuff on it?
No. The Catleaps overclock to something like 75-80Hz. For 3D stuff you need 120Hz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

DrDork posted:

No. The Catleaps overclock to something like 75-80Hz. For 3D stuff you need 120Hz.

Some do go to 120hz.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Yay my monitor arrived! :neckbeard:

For reference it's this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220961455233#ht_8159wt_1163 "ACHIEVA Shimian QH270-Lite Quad HD 2560x1440 16:9 D-Sub Computer Monitor"

Only weird thing is a couple of times so far it seems to just fade out and go to black until I turn it on and off a few times. I hope this isn't indiciative of a problem and some wacky software thing, but I happened to catch the fade once and it looked like it was going out column by column in a pattern across the screen.

Oh god. It's so big.

Edit: just did some fullscreen colors and looked around and I don't even see any dead pixels, and certainly no stuck ones!

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 19, 2012

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Cygni posted:

Some do go to 120hz.
True, but as with any overclocking, there's no guarantee. Also for the nVidia 3D Vision stuff, specifically, from what I understand the software will only support specific approved monitors. So even if he got it to 120Hz he wouldn't be able to do 3D Vision on it, as it's not a supported monitor.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Well, my excitement was premature. Pretty sure I got a broken one, I'm having the same problem this person is having:

http://badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20382

Basically, after a random amount of time the screen goes dark, but the backlight is on. Sometimes turning it on and off will bring it back for a while, just to work for a few seconds. I don't have another dual link DVI to test with sadly but the cable looks fine.

I guess I'm going to try to get inside and pray to the lack of any sort of god that it's just a loose connector inside. The panel I got was high quality; I don't want to deal with the warranty or ship it back just to have to go though this again and be out $50+ and possibly end up with a lovely one :cry:

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
poo poo man that's rough, hope things work out for ya.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

You're a braver man than I for even ordering one of those. Hope you don't have to ship it back!

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Hopefully you can get a replacement board for cheap and keep the flawless panel. I'm so glad my gamble paid off big time (no dead pixels, matte)

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

ijyt posted:

You're a braver woman than I for even ordering one of those. Hope you don't have to ship it back!

FTFY

Animal posted:

Hopefully you can get a replacement board for cheap and keep the flawless panel. I'm so glad my gamble paid off big time (no dead pixels, matte)

Yeah that's what I wonder, if something blew up on the panel if I can get a replacement board instead of shipping the whole thing back.

Someone suggested in the system building thread that I try it with another computer as the problem could be my GTX 670. I went ahead and did just that and it's been running for a half hour now with no issues. Of course I will have to run it for a few hours to know for sure. I will be very happy if it's just my SECOND EVGA in a row that crapped out on me and not the monitor! :v:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah, i was just gonna suggest another computer. Hope it works out for you, my Shimian's been solid... so far. :ohdear:

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM
No issues with my Catleap here. Power button feels mushy and not a solid "click" feeling for on/off, is probably my most major issue.

nex
Jul 23, 2001

øæå¨æøåø
Grimey Drawer
Got my Shimian QH270-Lite last week, just in time for Diablo, thanks to this thread.

It's a great monitor for the price. Picture is awesome and I can live with the stand.
Did some quick checks for dead pixels, but it looks perfect.

I have a issue with backlight bleeding and it looks pretty bad in black scenes. In normal colors and use its not visible. Managed to hide it some by turning down the brightness. Is there any other ways to hide/fix it?

Also, what kind of picture calibration do you guys do(if any)?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

chippy posted:

I feel faintly ridiculous asking this question, but can someone recommend me a DisplayPort cable that definitely fits in a U2412M (that I can order in the UK)? I got one but there's a really chunky plastic housing round the connector that butts up against the plastic surround on the ports on the back of the monitor, and stop it going in far enough to work.

I would just look myself but I seem to be cursed - the first one I ordered, the idiots sent me a HDMI cable instead, and the second one is this non-fitting monstrosity.

coffeetable posted:

Assuming you're never gonna see it, grab some sandpaper and go nuts.

To be honest, even if it's where I can't see it, I don't really fancy sanding/filing/dremeling my lovely few-week-old monitor. :) Can anyone else assist?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

chippy posted:

To be honest, even if it's where I can't see it, I don't really fancy sanding/filing/dremeling my lovely few-week-old monitor. :) Can anyone else assist?

The cable, not the monitor! I don't think anyone would suggest you hack bits of your monitor away..

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Eh, I guess I could give it a go. It does need to be considerably less smaller in order to fit though and I don't know how thick the plastic housing is until I start to hit wire, or circuit, or whatever's in there.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Yeah, I guess it's a risk that you'll completely screw the cable, but at least you'd only be out a cable. I definitely wouldn't use it if you hit the bare wires though.

Still, very frustrating.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Yeah, I'll give it a bash. It is frustrating though, and although the cable I'm trying is abnormally large I think, it looks like it would be a problem with quite a lot of cables, due to the positioning of the port on the monitor. I'd be interested to know if anyone else with a U2412M has had any problems like this?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
In the last few days I've noticed my monitor, a HP w1907v has started to smear black sections horizontally. It looks like pencil which has been smudged by a finger slightly.

Checked to see if any connections are loose, but that doesn't seem to help.

Anyone have an idea of what's going on?

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

I'm looking at one of the Korean ebay panels. Found the Shimian w/o tempered glass at $290 + $42 for the Squaretrade warranty. Is this about as good a deal I will find for one of those monitors?

This one here for the record - http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220961455233#ht_8169wt_926

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

Priam posted:

It has banding issues after calibration - http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1691556

The factory sRGB calibration is awful, as is the contrast compared to the displays I mentioned above. If you need something for "design work", you should be looking at NEC or Eizo, not the U2410 as it does not offer any sort of compensation for backlight uniformity issues which is pretty drat important if you're doing color critical work. It's pretty likely that any IPS panel today is going to have color temperature differences from top to bottom or left to right without this feature.

It wasn't great when it came out and recommending it or buying it at this point doesn't make any sense at all. It's overpriced and it's only redeeming quality is adobe rgb support, which most people couldn't give a poo poo less about.

This is from several pages back, but I was reading the review again, and noticed that you picked the graph for the factory calibration, not the calibrated result, which is this:

The same review you grabbed the review from also goes on to say:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/content/dell_u2410.htm posted:

Once calibrated however (and once you've found you need to leave the screen in 'standard' mode to do this!), the U2410 offered the best dE average results we have seen in our reviews. At 0.2 average, it matched the record holder, the NEC 2490WUXi, a screen aimed at colour enthusiasts primarily and which featured an effective hardware LUT calibration method as well."

I am not sure why you seem to have an agenda against the U2410, to the point of cherry picking stuff from the review to support your bias.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Going to buy one of the Korean monitors to use with our laptops. I need to get a mini-DP to dual link DVI converter. The Apple converter has "Thunderbolt" branding all over it, will it work for non Thunderbolt monitors and/or computers?

Or is there another adapter that people would recommend that is of good quality? I don't want to cheap out on the adapter because it will make troubleshooting any issues with the monitor a major pain in the rear end.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Kreez posted:

Going to buy one of the Korean monitors to use with our laptops. I need to get a mini-DP to dual link DVI converter. The Apple converter has "Thunderbolt" branding all over it, will it work for non Thunderbolt monitors and/or computers?

Or is there another adapter that people would recommend that is of good quality? I don't want to cheap out on the adapter because it will make troubleshooting any issues with the monitor a major pain in the rear end.

I don't know about the other kinds, but on eBay.co.uk the Catleap description says "Internal GPU, APU and Laptop does NOT compatible".

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Yeah, I asked about that earlier in the thread, it seems they're likely just trying to save themselves a lot of trouble when people try and hook up single link DVI ports and then demand money back or whatever. With a proper adapter everything should work fine.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

ScooterMcTiny posted:

I'm looking at one of the Korean ebay panels. Found the Shimian w/o tempered glass at $290 + $42 for the Squaretrade warranty. Is this about as good a deal I will find for one of those monitors?

This one here for the record - http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220961455233#ht_8169wt_926

As far as I can tell, yes. This is the exact one I got.

Update on mine by the way, a friend of mine that has a bunch of gadgets and fixit things brought over some tools to help open up the monitor and record temperatures on it, and we reseated the internal connections. We left it running for almost 5 hours without problem while it was opened up after re-seating it, and after closing it it's been fine so far except once when I turned it on and got random rainbow lines across the screen that was fixed just by turning the monitor off then on again (apparently it does this when it has no signal?)

We did notice that the monitor seemed to get hot at some points, sometimes in the 50s centigrade. Hopefully this is mainly just because it is such a large monitor.

Regardless, these monitors are a very nice panel attached to the cheapest possible circuitry that will run it. It's worth it imo to get a $1000 monitor for $300, even with the paranoia that it's going to get a hardcore character of mine killed in D3 eventually, but I would not recommend one of these monitors unless you're OK with tinkering with them.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Boten Anna posted:

As far as I can tell, yes. This is the exact one I got.

Update on mine by the way, a friend of mine that has a bunch of gadgets and fixit things brought over some tools to help open up the monitor and record temperatures on it, and we reseated the internal connections. We left it running for almost 5 hours without problem while it was opened up after re-seating it, and after closing it it's been fine so far except once when I turned it on and got random rainbow lines across the screen that was fixed just by turning the monitor off then on again (apparently it does this when it has no signal?)

We did notice that the monitor seemed to get hot at some points, sometimes in the 50s centigrade. Hopefully this is mainly just because it is such a large monitor.

Regardless, these monitors are a very nice panel attached to the cheapest possible circuitry that will run it. It's worth it imo to get a $1000 monitor for $300, even with the paranoia that it's going to get a hardcore character of mine killed in D3 eventually, but I would not recommend one of these monitors unless you're OK with tinkering with them.

I also got the same rainbow problem on my Catleap sometimes when I turn it on or bring it back from sleep. I think its more of an nvidia driver thing than the monitor itself. Seems harmless. Congrats on fixing it, they are lovely screens.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Boten Anna posted:

Are you using it with a 220-240v adapter? If so, you could be supplying less voltage than necessary for the monitor through the adapter (if you're in the US, anyway).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

edit

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 24, 2012

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Tedronai66 posted:

Are you using it with a 220-240v adapter? If so, you could be supplying less voltage than necessary for the monitor through the adapter (if you're in the US, anyway).

Not entirely impossible; I'm using the cord that came with the monitor and a simple power cable akin to the kind you normally connect directly to a monitor.

Is there a way to get 220v in the US without rewiring circuitry, or some ridiculous (and expensive) gizmo that would have to draw from two different circuits in the house?

Regardless I think the transformer is intended to work with 110, though I am not sure.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Boten Anna posted:

Not entirely impossible; I'm using the cord that came with the monitor and a simple power cable akin to the kind you normally connect directly to a monitor.

Is there a way to get 220v in the US without rewiring circuitry, or some ridiculous (and expensive) gizmo that would have to draw from two different circuits in the house?

Regardless I think the transformer is intended to work with 110, though I am not sure.

I haven't had any problems with 120V service, using a standard C13 computer cable plugged into the transformer.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
What object should I put under my monitors to level their height? I have a 21" and two 17" monitors that I want side by side, all 3 stands are different heights. I currently lack books of the proper thickness and I want something a little more attractive.

I think my best option might be to go to a crafts store and buy a few sheets of like 1/16" thick wood and stack them until I get the right height. Any other suggestions?

I am far too cheap to buy a proper mount system, and my 21" monitor (LG E2250T) lacks a VESA mount.

EvilCoolAidMan
Jun 26, 2008
Sorry wrong thread.

EvilCoolAidMan fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 23, 2012

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Boten Anna posted:

The answer is "if you have to ask, no." There are ways to do it, but knowing whether they'd be safe or not requires you to know some stuff about electrical wiring, how your particular house is set up with circuits and wire gauges, etc. You'd be better off paying an electrician to do it. Which, of course, entirely wipes out the price advantage of the monitor in the first place.

Enough other people are using it with 110v and not having issues that I would doubt that it would be the solution to your problem, anyhow.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

DrDork posted:

The answer is "if you have to ask, no." There are ways to do it, but knowing whether they'd be safe or not requires you to know some stuff about electrical wiring, how your particular house is set up with circuits and wire gauges, etc. You'd be better off paying an electrician to do it. Which, of course, entirely wipes out the price advantage of the monitor in the first place.

Enough other people are using it with 110v and not having issues that I would doubt that it would be the solution to your problem, anyhow.

It's not as complicated as you make it sound, at least for lower-power equipment. Fifty bucks is enough to get a beefy autotransformer wired to step 110V up to 220V, and it's just a box that sits between your equipment with ordinary plugs on both ends. It's only a big "hire an electrician" issue if you want both 220V and lots of amps.

None of that should matter in the slightest, though, because the Korean monitors all seem to take 24V DC from a universal-input switchmode power supply. The only difference between running one of those power supplies at 110V and 220V should be a couple of points worth of efficiency. If there's any difference in the output, the power supply is broken.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Space Gopher posted:

It's not as complicated as you make it sound, at least for lower-power equipment. Fifty bucks is enough to get a beefy autotransformer wired to step 110V up to 220V, and it's just a box that sits between your equipment with ordinary plugs on both ends. It's only a big "hire an electrician" issue if you want both 220V and lots of amps.
If you're not gonna wire up a 220 line with some amps, there's no point! But yeah, he's got issues here that aren't power-related, by the sound of it.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Boten Anna posted:

It would say the volt rating on the brick. You can also buy a replacement brick that takes 110-230 and spits out what you need for 20-30 bucks. The ocn threads may be of more use if their stupid mods haven't removed the eBay links/posts.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

DrDork posted:

If you're not gonna wire up a 220 line with some amps, there's no point! But yeah, she's got issues here that aren't power-related, by the sound of it.

FTFY :colbert:

Tedronai66 posted:

It would say the volt rating on the brick. You can also buy a replacement brick that takes 110-230 and spits out what you need for 20-30 bucks. The ocn threads may be of more use if their stupid mods haven't removed the eBay links/posts.

And yeah I really don't think it's my problem, especially since the monitor is working fine now. I'm pretty sure it was just something inside wasn't seated properly.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Anyone have any knowledge on the 23" LED thats on sale at Sellout.Woot today? I'm guessing it's not super high end, but for $120 it's worth asking about...

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen
AOC is a lovely brand and the monitors are refurbs on top of that. You're going to have a lot more than $50 worth of hassle opting for it versus something like this Asus TN with similar features http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236117

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I think I've talked myself into getting a Korean monitor. I started off considering $150 LED's, then $200 IPS LED's, but the Koreans seems like too good of a deal to pass up, even if they are overkill. It's probably because I regret not buying a 1920x1200 LCD when they were still popular and reasonably priced. :sigh:

For those who have a Korean monitor, do you have any regrets about the purchase? I'm especially interested in how you guys are handling a dual monitor setup. From a "coding window on main + internet/PDF windows on secondary" perspective, 2560x1440 doesn't help me much compared to 1920x1080, not to mention it's super easy to snap left/right windows in both monitors in Win7. However, it seems that getting a Korean will be fantastic for HD video and gaming.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Josh Lyman posted:

However, it seems that getting a Korean will be fantastic for HD video and gaming.

Surely 1920 x 1080 is best for HD Video, as then there's no scaling?