Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
IMO, the three best commons in the set are Raven, Peel, and Seraph. So yes blue can be quite strong early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

In my few drafts, you need to play your early game very wisely because you'll never know if you'll hit an early miracle and just blow them out. also be prepared to be in total control and then be wrecked by either miracles or blue bounce tricks to devastate your board.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
I managed to draft harvester of souls in a UB deck... he's absolutely INSANE. Turns basically every non-bounce interaction into card advantage for you, or at least negates any disadvantage. It even makes bone splinters advantageous. I had a choice of picking it or death wind, and in the end I'm glad I took the harvester.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Death Wind is a pretty great card in limited. My current favorite is Demonic Taskmaster. Yesterday, I drafted black and was passed 5 of those bad boys. I consider the Taskmaster first-pickable, since you can build around him so easily. Harvester is awesome as well - black seems very strong in Avacyn Restored.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Gyshall posted:

Death Wind is a pretty great card in limited. My current favorite is Demonic Taskmaster. Yesterday, I drafted black and was passed 5 of those bad boys. I consider the Taskmaster first-pickable, since you can build around him so easily. Harvester is awesome as well - black seems very strong in Avacyn Restored.

I actually really diagree with your high ranking of Taskmaster for limited. Yes, creatures like that have historically been decent, but I think that 4/3 for 3 and sac a creature every turn is overly pricy. I'd rather play green and have Wolfir Avenger's and Wandering Wolf's. Or if I was playing black, Soulcage Fiend or pay one more mana for Evernight Shade. But opinions and all that (:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
You don't have to sac a creature if he is the only dude out on your board.

(But if you have two taskmasters out at the same time the effect stacks and you lose both and look like a dumbass.)

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

meanolmrcloud posted:

In my few drafts, you need to play your early game very wisely because you'll never know if you'll hit an early miracle and just blow them out. also be prepared to be in total control and then be wrecked by either miracles or blue bounce tricks to devastate your board.

Bonfire and Entreat the Angels are both stupidly good in Limited. They're basically a lottery ticket and it's not fun to be on the other end of them.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I have won against entreat and bonfire, both when they were hardcasted. When they were miracled, theyre just so much more powerful.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
If your opponent rips entreat the angels with a bunch of untapped lands, you're totally screwed unless you have one of the miracle sweepers yourself (or topdeck your own entreat the angels). I feel like it was a mistake to print, since the only real way to deal with it is other rares/mythics.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

mehall posted:

I actually really diagree with your high ranking of Taskmaster for limited.
He has done wonders in my few drafts so far. There's lots of cards that are easy to get that make him much more viable (gambit for one), and black has cards to deal with him if you need him gone.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I lost to entreat in the final round of swiss at a TCG Silver sealed event yesterday which knocked me out of the top 8. Nothing I could do about 6 flying angels, as well as a 7/7 Bruna that I was dealing with. In the previous game I was able to deal with him miracleing it for 1 by just putting out more green fatties and drawing 2 cards a turn off of Triumph.

Should have made top 8 but I kept getting mana problems all day no matter how much I shuffled and reshuffled. Was not too bad for an OK W/G creature deck with Wolfir Silverheart as the only bomb.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Jet Set Jettison posted:

I have won against entreat and bonfire, both when they were hardcasted. When they were miracled, theyre just so much more powerful.

I miracled a Devastation Tide right after someone entreated for 6, woohoo

Just want to point out that Goldnight Commander + Thatcher Revolt is INSANE. It's an Overrun that gives you an extra three creatures to attack with. It's 17 by itself.

The three rares I opened yesterday: Bonfire, Burn at the Stake, and Vexing Devil (actually worked nice once I realized you probably shouldn't play him turn 1). Been getting really lucky so far.

Ebethron
Apr 27, 2008

"I hear the coast is nice this time of year."
"If you're in the right business, it's nice all the year."
I'm planning on making a Innistrad block cube. Does anyone know of anywhere which might list what are considered to be the garbage, undraftable cards from the three sets so I know what to cut?

I was also planning to make a mini Rise of the Eldrazi peasant cube using 2xCommons + 1xUncommons. Again, does anyone know if there were any cards that no-one ever drafted? Will a peasant cube of ROE even work without rare fatties?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Ebethron posted:

I'm planning on making a Innistrad block cube. Does anyone know of anywhere which might list what are considered to be the garbage, undraftable cards from the three sets so I know what to cut?

I was also planning to make a mini Rise of the Eldrazi peasant cube using 2xCommons + 1xUncommons. Again, does anyone know if there were any cards that no-one ever drafted? Will a peasant cube of ROE even work without rare fatties?

Rise is fine without rare fatties. Really the only good rare fatties were Ulamog and Kozilek anyways. Emrakul was uncastable and the other rare Eldrazi aren't really better than Artisan of Kozilek or Pelakka Wurm. The important fatties are Artisan, Pelakka Wurm, and Crusher.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

So, today's the big day with the release events. I didn't do any prerelease events because it's not like DKA where they had a format that wouldn't exist afterwards, and the payout is terrible. I think I might try to draft black for now until it catches on more. Are there any cards you all consider to be snap picks besides Bonfire, Entreat and Deadeye Navigator?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

As far as commons go, I almost always grab Mist Raven and Thatchers revolt.

Also, I always pick anything that can remotely be considered removal because this set just does not have a whole lot of it.

Count
Apr 28, 2004

Green is probably the best color but white red is the best archetype. Blue green is really good too.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Wolfir Silverheart? Into the Void is a blowout, especially when it breaks p/t-pumping soulbonds post-combat. Mist Raven, Tandem Lookout and Druid's Familiar are pretty good guys, and Wingcrafter is really important for a few archetypes.

My take on this format (as bolstered by OM's feedback on the PT): its really similar to older sets in its inconsistency and the swinginess of individual cards. The difference between the playables and nonplayables is pretty huge, and there aren't a whole lot of playables to go around. This format seems to be about recognizing signals early, because if you don't you just won't get enough playables. It's not like DII where colors are deep and support multiple strategies. A lot of the archetypes you can draft center around a few key cards, and if you don't get them, they just don't work (the Favorable Winds deck pretty much relies on sticking Wingcrafters and taking great pains to make sure they never die).

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I always get wrecked by the Soulbound deck - just drafting a bunch of soulbound guys is usually pretty powerful. Mist Raven is pretty filthy as far as commons go. Echoing support for the "Fake Removal" cards - the black enchantment that gives -1/-1 is (sadly) pretty good for the cost.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Also Champion of Lambolt is absurd. Take that card every goddamn day. Even if you're not playing green, just hate draft it. That card quickly becomes a big ol' blowout.

vvv actually listen to him. But goddamn Champion can be stupid.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 23, 2012

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Even if you're not playing green, just hate draft it.

As always, don't, if you can clearly improve your own deck by picking something else and passing it.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Gyshall posted:

I always get wrecked by the Soulbound deck - just drafting a bunch of soulbound guys is usually pretty powerful. Mist Raven is pretty filthy as far as commons go. Echoing support for the "Fake Removal" cards - the black enchantment that gives -1/-1 is (sadly) pretty good for the cost.

I don't think it's quite fair to call the /-1 cards "fake removal" since it is so set dependent. Ghoul Flesh, Guise of Fire and Aggravate are all actually pretty good removal because there are so many relevant creatures with only 1 toughness. For example: Blood Artist and Blood Connoisseur, aforementioned Champion of Lambholt, Latch Seeker, Marrow Bats, Nephalia Smuggler and Nightshade Peddler, Ulvenwald Tracker and every red aggro creature of varying quality and threat level.

I don't know about you, but I will definitely pay 1 mana at sorcery speed to deal with any of the guys that I listed there. When you are playing black, getting a Ghoul Flesh on a Farbog Explorer can also be just the thing you need to buy enough time. I have been a big fan of the /-1 cards and just don't want people hating on them when they are really good in the format!

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Yeah, the format is filled with relevant 1-toughness guys and removal is pretty scarce: the /-1 spells are all very good. I had to explain this on a stream the other day and I was confused about how many people were saying they're unplayable. While they could've been "trolling" (a term for internet whimsy), I've talked to a lot of real people who legit believe this. I guess their card evaluation isn't calibrated for the format yet.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Is this sealed pool as, uh, bad as it seems?

I have some good cards in all of my colors, but nothing that seems very solidly good. I think I'm going W/G, since they seem the most solid, with a red splash for Slayers' Stronghold. Thoughts?

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

Spincut posted:

Is this sealed pool as, uh, bad as it seems?

I have some good cards in all of my colors, but nothing that seems very solidly good. I think I'm going W/G, since they seem the most solid, with a red splash for Slayers' Stronghold. Thoughts?
Slayers Stronghold is a beating and I think your red is decent enough that you can go RW. Also why are you playing 2 Pathbreaker Wurms? I would much prefer to play Voice of the Provinces. Also don't discount Thunderbolt, it kills so many fliers in this format.

If you are set on green then you should probably splash for Death Wind.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Huh. Well I got absolutely curb-stomped round 1 against R/G soulbond, but then didn't drop a single game rounds 2 and 3, so I guess my deck is alright! I'm playing game 1 with the deck I showed, then I side in the Voice of the Provinces and Death Wind for game 2. If I go up against something with a lot of fliers for the last round, I'll probably pull out the green for red.

This format is weird. Wolfir Avenger is doing some work for me, though.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Wanna hurry up and finish this sealed so I can sell off my Temporal Master before it gets any lower.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Foil Entreat the Angels and a normal Temporal Mastery and a Malignus in this sealed pool? Sure, why not.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Ebethron posted:

The list for Innistrad and Dark Ascension is going to be pretty small, something like Graveyard Shovel, Gruesome Deformity, Infernal Plunge and Rooftop Storm (and possibly Curse of Oblivion and Cellar Door) from INN, and from DKA Favour of the Woods, Curse of Exhaustion, and Seance. Everything else is pretty much playable, if not necessarily good. It depends on how high of a power level or how reminiscent of actual Innistrad draft you want your cube to be - I can't see something like the Burning Vengeance or Spider Spawning decks really working in a singleton format.

Avacyn Restored, well, it's too early to tell, but pretty much everything apart from Bonfire and Entreat is unplayable. So that should be easy.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

rabidsquid posted:

Foil Entreat the Angels and a normal Temporal Mastery and a Malignus in this sealed pool? Sure, why not.

Aaaand I finish match 1 0-2 as I flood out game one and die with 15 land in play and in game 2 I keep a two lander on the draw and die on turn 8, with two land in play. I am not exaggerating. The fact that I have roughly 35 tix worth of cards to sell takes the sting off some, but this is a super good R/W deck and that was really stupid.

edit: I feel like I post nothing but bad beats, so I am beginning to consider that I am bad or I need to deal with tilt better, because about 75% of my competitive magic lately has been me dying to my mana.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 23, 2012

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

rabidsquid posted:

Aaaand I finish match 1 0-2 as I flood out game one and die with 15 land in play and in game 2 I keep a two lander on the draw and die on turn 8, with two land in play. I am not exaggerating. The fact that I have roughly 35 tix worth of cards to sell takes the sting off some, but this is a super good R/W deck and that was really stupid.

edit: I feel like I post nothing but bad beats, so I am beginning to consider that I am bad or I need to deal with tilt better, because about 75% of my competitive magic lately has been me dying to my mana.

I was going to say, opening Malignus in place of a good rare is probably not a good omen. Am I just dumb, or is Malignus really bad in anything but EDH? The only time I'd ever feel good having one out is if I actually have two out and they have no blockers.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Bill O'Riley is GENIUS posted:

I was going to say, opening Malignus in place of a good rare is probably not a good omen. Am I just dumb, or is Malignus really bad in anything but EDH? The only time I'd ever feel good having one out is if I actually have two out and they have no blockers.

Actually Malignus was pretty good in sealed. A potential 10/10 for 5 is an amazing blocker at minimum.

Playing for the 3-1 I managed to mull to 3 in game three, after 1 land, 1 land, 0 land, 0 land. Guess my play skill is just lacking.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
this sealed pool seems like really not great :(

Cavern of Souls, available for a reasonable price :x
I really wanted to play 3 cloudshifts and the tyrant of discord :woot:

edit: managed to back into a 3-1 on the strength of nearheath pilgrim, mad prophet, and cathar. Archwing Dragon and Angel both helped in a game, but thank you tiny humans :w:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lurchington fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 24, 2012

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
A question for paper tournament (specifically draft) rules.

If someone is at a sanctioned draft (Casual REL) and they open up a pack they don't want to pass (say it has an Entreat the Angel's and a Foil Entreat the Angels) and they decide to get up and walk, is there some level of penalty?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

PJStelford posted:

If someone is at a sanctioned draft (Casual REL) and they open up a pack they don't want to pass (say it has an Entreat the Angel's and a Foil Entreat the Angels) and they decide to get up and walk, is there some level of penalty?

Yes, that falls under 'Unsporting Conduct - Theft of Tournament Materials' and is a DQ and getting kicked out of the building.

That pack is not yours, you can only select one card from it while drafting.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Okay, latest to the party, but yeah, Champion of Lambholt is downright stupid. Anything I built wrong here? I don't think so, this set seems pretty low on playables, but I guess we'll see.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

I thought most stores had a "you won a really small lottery, I guess" rule that allows you to just drop on the spot and keep the packs. I know it's that way at my LGS. I don't think anyone has used it yet, but every draft like four people still ask, "WHAT IF I OPEN ALL OF THE RARES SOMEHOW???"

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
God drat, Druid's Familiar is a loving house. Every time I've drawn him, I've been able to attach him to some evasive creature (Wandering Wolf, Emancipation Angel, Seraph of the Dawn), and every time it's been a stupid blowout that my opponent can't possibly deal with. I have a Craterhoof Behemoth and a Restoration Angel, but I'm convinced that the bear is the best card in my deck.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

First MOL draft - did 8/4 and won. First pick was Soul of the Harvest (passing Vanishment). Second was Emancipation Angel. Briefly flirted with red (packs 3 and 4 had no good green or white). I very much regret now passing on a couple of Seraphs (picked Peel and Vanishment over them) in pack 2 b/c I didn't know that I'd pick up two Abundants in Pack 3. I feel this deck is definitely good but I feel it's a little creature light. Dunno how it'll do vs. a dedicated red deck. Would you guys have built it the same? Thought about Archangel but she's really expensive and I'm top-heavy as it is. I figure that if the game goes long I'll probably win, but drawing too many expensive spells + nothing else will kil me vs red.

Results-
Round 1 (vs. G/W): Both games start w/ Abundant Growth and turn 3 Angel, which is silly. Both games I wind up Soulbounding the Angel and getting there w/ the help of Joint Assualt. Game 1 was a blowout but Game 2 briefly turned into a game which I won thanks to Into the Void and Vanishment.

Round 2 (vs. R/B): Forcemage + Peddler got pressure on early in Game 1. I misplayed a few games because I'm new to MOL. Actually was pretty close since he had plenty of removal but I got by in the end. This is really the type of deck I figure I'm weak against. Game 2 he threatened early as I had a weak draw but I was able to stabalize with the Gatekeepers - these guys are pretty good, yeah.

Round 3 (vs. R/W): Game 1: Won w/ 2 Trusted Forcemages and Timberland Guide + combat tricks. Game 2 was way, way closer. Basically I had a crap draw, and he had Eman. Angel plus Seraph while I only had a Scrapskin Drake out. I wound up using Peel twice to prevent damage until I was able to play Terminus. He blinked his Angel, and eventually I would up facing the Spectral Guards, down to 3, with just Scrapskin and a Mist Raven out. Drawing all lands, I get myself down to 1 before (finally) getting a Pathbreaker Wurm to stabalize. He has a 24 to 1 life advantage but I pull it out thanks to that plus sitting Soul of the Harvest while he drew nothing but lands, apparently. I played kamikaze the whole time, even though he had 3 cards in hand. I just assumed they were all blanks b/c I figure the longer the game goes, the longer he has to draw burn/Cathar/Thatcher/anything. Several turns I feel like he could have topdecked basically anything to win. Oh well, better lucky than good, etc.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

PJStelford posted:

Not to fixate too much on a particular example but you'd have to be a pretty big d-bag in my book to disrupt a draft and piss a bunch of people off over a $20 or whatever card especially when you just got a pick that is worth however much more the foil one is.