Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Not to mention that Black/White actually have a semi-fleshed out story mode. It's nothing to write home about in the long run, but you do have a lot more to room to let the game speak for itself, especially compared to the rest of the series. Obviously you'd need to be able to write to cover what happens in between plot (Today we killed our 5,000th Pidove!), which is probably going to be your main failing if that test post was anything to go off of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Zorak posted:

I am wondering if we should make the new condition, even before asking permission, that you NEED to have demonstrable ability of some kind. Like some kind of CV for I Can Be Funny Here, Let Me Do Pokemon. Submit a writing sample and portfolio or some poo poo.

To be honest, I thought that was kind of the point of having to ask permission in the first place.

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY
Sorry to interrupt this wonderful discussion.

Ragny posted:

It's like Super Meat Boy but with exploding penguins. Let's play Prinny, dood!

Since there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with this, I started the thread.

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

To be honest, I thought that was kind of the point of having to ask permission in the first place.

Even if slowbeef never actually denies anyone permission, it probably deters a fair amount of slapdash bullshit.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Proteus4994 posted:

I'm also wondering how you're going to handle the segments between the main missions. There's a healthy amount of "grinding" for Chaos points. Are you going to show those? Cut them out? Do a highlight reel?

I was planning to do a highlight reel setup for that, where I record it all but only include what's interesting. Likewise for travel between missions.

Choray
Oct 31, 2009

Mega64 posted:

The problem is that this isn't that distinct from the five hundred other Pokemon narrative LP's. poo poo, even something like sperging over mechanics and going in-depth on the meta-game and the various Pokemon would be something different.

This is coming from a non-LPer, but after reading a bunch of Pokemon fanfiction LPs, this would be vastly more interesting to me and something seemingly different from the archived stuff. It would be a nice change of pace to see the mechanical aspect of the games a bit more, maybe take on leaders with underleveled teams, show off various strategies, general spergy stuff. Anything but another fanfic, at this point those get tiresome even when done by people who can actually be funny.

Not that I'm in any way necessarily advocating that anyone does a Pokemon LP at all.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

CodyDaviesTV posted:

As mentioned, a lot of SSLPs do this well, like Dark Id's current run of FFX, so it's not really a hard rule.

Keeping in mind that this is also a matter of taste. Dark Id is funny and all and angry quip after every screenshot is kind of his thing, but I haven't read the last six or so of his threads because trying to keep up with his rage just makes me feel tired, and because "Dark Id is mad at a videogame" is a joke I've heard a lot before. It's like watching a Lewis Black stand-up routine five times in a row. That's why I usually discourage DISSLPing -- even if you can do it well, you'll be judged by comparison to everyone who's done it before you.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Waffleman_ posted:

Look, all narrative LPs want to be The Terrible Secret of Animal Crossing. And to be frank, you're probably never going to be as good as that thread, and it's best if you stop trying to imitate past successes and do your own thing.

Quoting this for truth. If you're not a good writer (which almost everyone who wants to be like the AC thread isn't), you're not going to pull it off.

Also, when I said that all Pokemon threads are the same loving thing we've seen over and over again? This one is THE EXACT SAME THING.

Protip to people who want to make Pokemon LPs: When I say "the same poo poo we've seen a thousand times" I mean "description, unfunny one-liner, picture, description, unfunny one-liner, picture, repeat", with some terrible self-written narrative shoehorned in (usually fan-fiction about becoming a Pokemon trainer).

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Proteus4994 posted:

Also, when I said that all Pokemon threads are the same loving thing we've seen over and over again? This one is THE EXACT SAME THING.
Clearly getting a mod's approval is only doing so much for pokemon test posts. Can we get a rule saying you'll get probated if your pokemon test post, which is supposed to be new and original, isn't deemed new and original by the Ivory Tower Egghead HQSandcastle? They aren't too common, but they still pop up more than they should.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

unpronounceable posted:

Clearly getting a mod's approval is only doing so much for pokemon test posts. Can we get a rule saying you'll get probated if your pokemon test post, which is supposed to be new and original, isn't deemed new and original by the Ivory Tower Egghead HQSandcastle? They aren't too common, but they still pop up more than they should.

Just to be clear, I only gave him approval to make the test post, not the thread. Sorry if I was unclear.

I mean, we get one every ... what? Two months? Once a month?

Previous to the bottleneck (which I'll admit, right now, that's all it really is), it was more like once a week. But if you want me to add more rigor to it, sure.

I don't mind adding a "week's probation if it sucks" clause. I just honestly didn't see it as a huge problem.

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!

unpronounceable posted:

Maybe if the test post is REALLY bad, but, this one is just aggressively mediocre, I think, not worth probating. It's not like he made a terrible post that wasted everyone's time.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I'm not sure I see the problem with the sandcastle having a terrible Pokemon test post every so often, isn't the point of the sandcastle to tell people how they're being terrible and try to get them to reconsider their terrible ideas?

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
God drat SA is a bunch of bloodthirsty savages.

Probating people for bad test posts, even if it is Pokemon, goes against the entire point of the Sandcastle. Shame them, sure, but I don't think the banhammer needs to be pulled out for a bad test post, no matter what it is (unless it breaks forum rules).

Edit: This goes for pretty much every forum on SA, but these forums should be self-moderating by shaming or running out people who make lovely posts. Asking for more heavy-handed moderation is a terrible idea and makes nobody happy. Particularly the moderators, I'd imagine.

Proteus4994 fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 21, 2012

Epee Em
Jan 16, 2010

:fuckthis:
I'm sure I'll get an earful for saying this, but Pokemon games themselves are just copies of one another. At this point, what's the frigging purpose of LPing a Pokemon game? You catch Pokemon, suffer HM crap, collect 8 badges, defeat the obligatory enemy team, become the champion, woo fuggity hoo. Not just the content the would-be LPer creates, I think Pokemon LPs should be screened for original content period.

The only reason I asked slowbeef if it was okay for me to do that Vietnamese Crystal LP was because the game was hilariously badly translated and had gimmick value, for example. It wasn't just "Pokemon LP: Round 28". And besides, baldurk won't even archive any more Pokemon LPs, so all the work put into the LP would essentially be for nothing. (:argh: Although apparently Pokemon Platinum was deemed more worthy of archival than aforementioned Vietnamese Crystal!)

dirtysammiches
Jun 14, 2010

slowbeef posted:

I don't mind adding a "week's probation if it sucks" clause. I just honestly didn't see it as a huge problem.

CestMoi posted:

I'm not sure I see the problem with the sandcastle having a terrible Pokemon test post every so often, isn't the point of the sandcastle to tell people how they're being terrible and try to get them to reconsider their terrible ideas?

yeah having bad test posts is really not a problem, especially when the poster of said test post is receptive to the idea that maybe they shouldn't actually go through with the thread. point of the sandcastle and all.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'd rather see more bad test posts if it means a greater chance we get something that's actually good. It's totally possible that we might get some mind-blowing Pokemon Let's Play that's so revolutionary it changes the very fabric of the forums.

Or, you know, ends up being informative and entertaining without repeating the same five jokes you see in every other Pokemon LP. Point is, I'd rather encourage more people to try different things and discover their own strengths, even if it leads to some bad LP's that can just be ignored/mocked.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Proteus4994 posted:

Probating people for bad test posts, even if it is Pokemon, goes against the entire point of the Sandcastle. Shame them, sure, but I don't think the banhammer needs to be pulled out for a bad test post, no matter what it is (unless it breaks forum rules).

You're right. I'm more annoyed than I should be at the internet.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Epee Em posted:

I'm sure I'll get an earful for saying this, but Pokemon games themselves are just copies of one another. At this point, what's the frigging purpose of LPing a Pokemon game? You catch Pokemon, suffer HM crap, collect 8 badges, defeat the obligatory enemy team, become the champion, woo fuggity hoo. Not just the content the would-be LPer creates, I think Pokemon LPs should be screened for original content period.

White has exactly one mandatory HM, one use of Cut shortly after the 1st gym, shortly after the game forces a monkey capable of learning it into your party. Your move. :smug:

The only thing I'd try is discussing all the numbers. All the loving numbers. The approach hasn't failed me yet!

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Proteus4994 posted:

I will do anything to stop talking about Pokemon though.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The only thing I'd try is discussing all the numbers. All the loving numbers. The approach hasn't failed me yet!

This is actually what I mean by a unique take on a Pokemon LP. I don't think anyone has gone through and described the games purely in terms of the mathematical equations involved in the game.

Whether it would be interesting or even possible to do an entire LP like this, I don't know. But at least it's not lovely fan-fiction.

Edit: Whoops, slowbeef said stop. I'll stop now.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Proteus, you whining about Pokemon LPs is literally starting to get more annoying than bad Pokemon test posts at this point. And those are pretty loving annoying.

Let's please stop talking about this, yes.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Epee Em posted:

To be fair, Pokemon Black/White actually deviate from the formula a bit and are quite stellar for this reason (I say this not as a pokemon fan, but as someone who stopped playing at silver, came back for white, and then played the intermediate games to find out how much I did not miss). If you focused on how the gameplay/story changed its style, and possibly sperged out on the mechanics in an interesting way, you'd have an interesting commentary on the evolution of a long-standing game series.

The problem is most people don't even try to do this, and just try to go for generic obvious info -> quip.

Cheeseman
Apr 1, 2001

If it itches that much, find a doc. Bud Tucker in Double Trouble [Blind VLP]

What the hell is this game?

Bud Tucker in Double Trouble is a DOS Adventure game made by Merit Studios Limited in 1996. Merit Studios, LTD was the Euro branch of US based Merit Studios and thus, Bud Tucker was only released in Europe. It stars pizza delivery man Marty McflyBudd Tucker on a mission to rescue his pal Doc BrownProfessor Goonhilly from the clutches of local evil guy Dick Tate. Yeah, really.

Who the hell are you guys?

We're Adam, Joe, and Keran. Three guys who have known each other for far, far, too long. Joe found out about this game several years ago, and after never being able to get out of the first room despite being a long time veteran of adventure games, including most of the Sierra and Lucasarts libraries, left myself alone with this terrible game for 10 minutes where I managed to escape the room and enter into the mystifying and inscrutable world of this game. Naturally, we decided to do our first ever LP with this game as the subject.

What the hell is so bad about this game?

Voices, puzzle logic, pixel hunting, you name it, this game seems to have it all and as poorly as could be expected. The extent of it is largely unknown to us however, as we haven't read about or played through much of the game. This is going to be a blind run, and from what we've seen so far, this game is going to be a doozy.

So, lets jump right in:

Episode 1, in 3 parts
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

----------------

Alright, so that above is what I intend to be the OP for the LP. How is it going? I'm going to admit I'm going in as blindly into LPing as we are into the game, so any advice on formatting, technical issues or anything else would be appreciated. We are also working on getting a blip account going so we won't have to have it solely on youtube. Our next LP session will likely be this coming weekend and so I hope to have the thread set and ready to go by then.

Cheeseman fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 21, 2012

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Cheeseman posted:

If it itches that much, find a doc. Bud Tucker in Double Trouble [Blind VLP]

It'd be nice for an adventure game full of voice acting and with a story driven mostly by voice to be able to hear sad voices at some point; maybe turning up the game audio or not having two co-commentators might make that a bit easier. Also you probably don't need to record the game in 1080 since it's fairly old; 720 is probably fine for that end. Otherwise I could hear you guys fine and the video quality was fine.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Choray posted:

This is coming from a non-LPer, but after reading a bunch of Pokemon fanfiction LPs, this would be vastly more interesting to me and something seemingly different from the archived stuff. It would be a nice change of pace to see the mechanical aspect of the games a bit more, maybe take on leaders with underleveled teams, show off various strategies, general spergy stuff. Anything but another fanfic, at this point those get tiresome even when done by people who can actually be funny.

Okay, another person in favour of this idea. I'll try it out soon, now that I can batch crop those pictures and I'll show some actual gameplay so that I can :spergin: about it. :woop:

Cheeseman
Apr 1, 2001

Niggurath posted:

It'd be nice for an adventure game full of voice acting and with a story driven mostly by voice to be able to hear sad voices at some point; maybe turning up the game audio or not having two co-commentators might make that a bit easier. Also you probably don't need to record the game in 1080 since it's fairly old; 720 is probably fine for that end. Otherwise I could hear you guys fine and the video quality was fine.

It's actually part of the plan for the 3 of us to play it together, but in the future we'll certainly be trying to talk less during the actual talking parts of the game. I'm not sure how Joe did the encoding, since he's the one handing the video and audio, but I'll pass it on to try 720. Thanks.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
...Anybody wanna take a guess as to why we're the #1 forum right now? We've got more people browsing than Games or GBS. (But more a higher guests/members ratio than anyone, so... some thread get linked somewhere?)

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

slowbeef posted:

...Anybody wanna take a guess as to why we're the #1 forum right now? We've got more people browsing than Games or GBS. (But more a higher guests/members ratio than anyone, so... some thread get linked somewhere?)
Guessing the pokemon test post

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

slowbeef posted:

Well, the Dangan Ronpa thread is popular across the entire internet I think.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
I account this to excellent leadership

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

slowbeef posted:

I'm going to say Dragon Age 2 as a joke.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

slowbeef posted:

LP's are the new hit thing?

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

It's obviously because I returned to LPing. :smug:

But seriously, that's a bit strange... more than Games? GBS? wow...

FakeKraid
Feb 10, 2012
Guys, thanks for your input. I wasn't really expecting my first attempt to be very good (which is why I put it in the sandbox), and now that I have a better idea of what sorts of things do and don't work in practice, I'm going to rework the idea. I'll try to post a totally re-worked second draft this morning at some point (I work all night and may very well have plenty of free time, but we'll see). The next draft is going to skip the opening video entirely (I'll just post the YouTube link to the unedited video if people want to see it), because after consideration I just don't think it's interesting enough to warrant much attention - especially because it's just a clumsy recap of the earlier chapters of the book, with which a huge number of readers are already familiar either through the books or the movies. I'm going to give a brief, throwaway overview of it and jump right into the action, starting with an explanation of the game's mechanics, and then go straight into the playing; in hindsight I should have done that from the start, but hey, that's what the sandbox is for: messing stuff up in a low-pressure environemnt. Thanks again, and I hope you all will give me helpful feedback on my second attempt, too.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
It's a prelude to a deluge of godawful Youtube dumps that will flood the subforum for seven days and seven nights. The end is nigh.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

MeccaPrime posted:

It's obviously because I returned to LPing. :smug:

But seriously, that's a bit strange... more than Games? GBS? wow...

Part of it is that Diablo 3 is sapping views from other forums right now. Beyond that, I am just guessing it's because LPs are Internet Popular.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Volt Catfish posted:

Well, the Dangan Ronpa thread is popular across the entire internet I think.

I'm gonna guess it's probably this. From what I hear, the Dangan Ronpa LP is stupidly popular off-site, to the point where we have watch threads for it on other forums. Or so I've heard.

Ed: Yep, they exist.

Lance Streetman fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 22, 2012

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.

Lance Streetman posted:

I'm gonna guess it's probably this. From what I hear, the Dangan Ronpa LP is stupidly popular off-site, to the point where we have watch threads for it on other forums. Or so I've heard.

Ed: Yep, they exist.
That thread has over 2 million views. :psyduck:

That's actually pretty insane.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Lance Streetman posted:

Considering that I've met people in real life who are reading the thing who aren't goons, don't follow LP, and who I haven't told about it, this does not surprise me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

slowbeef posted:

...Anybody wanna take a guess as to why we're the #1 forum right now? We've got more people browsing than Games or GBS.

Sweet, a new hentai thread!

Edit:

Psychedelic Eyeball posted:

That thread has over 2 million views. :psyduck:

That's actually pretty insane.

This made me wonder, who was the first person to have a 1 million view thread? I think it was either ShadowCatboy or Cybershell but I can't remember who got it first.

(Sandcastle doesn't count)

Proteus4994 fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 22, 2012

• Locked thread