Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

There was a new SNES add-on chip released recently called the MSU-1, which was designed by the SNES enthusiast byuu. It allows the SNES to access up to 4GB of data, including FMVs and CD-quality audio.

Existing games can be modified to use these, such as Chrono Trigger with the FMVs from the PSX version, or Final Fantasy with music from an orchestral remix.

The opera scene just got better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

XII's soundtrack is the definition of elevator music to me. I could not have been less impressed by a soundtrack than XII's. XIII restored my faith in FF music.

Yep, you hate XII and like XIII. I love XII and hate XIII.

But we both like X-2 so that's good.

I was gonna bring this up in the LP thread but praising the game was unofficially banned in there. Anyway I really liked X-2's final boss theme. Was wondering what you thought.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Byfjv2REks8

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

NikkolasKing posted:

X-2

I just wish X-2's music wasn't comprised of 30 second loops.

And it's a shame too, considering that some of the songs aren't too shabby, but they get absolutely no chance to develop.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 21, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Pesky Splinter posted:

I just wish X-2's music wasn't comprised of 30 second loops.

And it's a shame too, considering that some of the songs aren't too shabby, but they get absolutely no chance to develop.

While I don't love the whole of X-2's soundtrack, its version of Zanarkand Ruins is one of the best tracks in the series. Also, Eternity of Lightwaves.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

kInda unoriginal choice but my favorite track is 1000 Words. I honestly think it might be the best ballad ever in an FF game. The orchestral version that runs during the credits is the best.

As for Memory of Lightwaves, I quite like this vocal version that has the same beat.

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

I always loved Luca's theme from X-2. It actually felt like a bustling, tropical port city. Too bad you never really have much to do there and when you do (the sphere break championship or whatever), other music was used.

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009

Pesky Splinter posted:

Which songs are they (if you know)?

I only really remember the music of XIII being there in the far distance doing its best not to be memorable. I mean, it sounds nice, but it's just sorta there.

The kind of sad, slightly frantic one. Can't get to YouTube right now, but I'll try to look it up a little later if I get the chance.

Overall I think the music in FF13 was good. It was interesting without demanding your full attention, which is just perfect for a game, and there were enough tracks and they were long enough to not feel repetitive. Special props to that one song that plays first when you enter the Arc on Cocoon.

I'll contrast that with the voiced songs from FF13-2. drat, the last thing I need is to be getting yelled at over a casio metal track.

What Women Want doesn't have good music either, except for that one sing that I mentioned.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

This Jacket Is Me posted:

I'll contrast that with the voiced songs from FF13-2. drat, the last thing I need is to be getting yelled at over a casio metal track.
I really like 13-2's soundtrack except for those. They are just awful. I've thought that maybe they sound better with the Japanese versions of the song, but I doubt it.

The one exception is crazy chocobo because of the 'what the hell is this' hilarity factor.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

This Jacket Is Me posted:

That's only one song though! I don't count Crazy Chocobo because it's funny, but the metal song from X is worse. Most of the voiced stuff in 13-2 is pretty great (my favorite 13-2 track is probably the Oerba track)

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Winks posted:

I really like 13-2's soundtrack except for those. They are just awful. I've thought that maybe they sound better with the Japanese versions of the song, but I doubt it.

The one exception is crazy chocobo because of the 'what the hell is this' hilarity factor.

The metal songs in XIII-2 are pretty bad, Crazy Chocobo aside. The poppy vocal tracks are pretty great overall, though. Plains of Eternity is incredible.

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
The FF13/What Women Want song I was looking for is apparently Atonement.

Now that I'm looking through these, I really liked Dust to Dust and also Will to Fight. I think these are all songs that played at some critical moment in the story, with Atonement coming in at (more than one?) character arc moment, Will to Fight first appearing at the Arc when it starts to become clear that Cocoon isn't all that it seems, and Dust to Dust playing at (what I think is the most gripping part of the story) when you first enter Oerba.

I dunno if the weight of the story at those points make the songs stick out in my head, or if the songs themselves did it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Since you're all talking music, I figure I might as well mention the upcoming 3DS game, Final Fantasy Theatrhythm - it's an Elite Beat Agents-ish rhythm game with RPG elements, set in the Dissidia universe, where you construct a party using cute chibi versions of all the various FF heroes and then play little scenarios from each of the main numbered games; some of 'em simulate being on the field, some simulate encounters/boss battles, and some involve playing in time with cutscenes/FMVs from the respective games and are kinda disjointed, but whatever.

I can't dig up any videos right now, but here's the tracklist, minus DLC:

quote:

Final Fantasy
  • FIELD: "Main Theme", "Gurgu Volcano", "Matoya's Cave", "Underwater Temple"
  • BATTLE: "Battle Scene", "Chaos Shrine"
  • EVENT: "Opening Theme"
  • SPECIAL: "Prelude", "Ending Theme", "Cornelia Castle"

Final Fantasy II
  • FIELD: "Main Theme", "Dungeon", "Magician's Tower"
  • BATTLE: "Battle Scene 2", "Battle Scene 1"
  • EVENT: "Rebel Army Theme"
  • SPECIAL: "Prelude", "Finale"

Final Fantasy III
  • FIELD: "Eternal Wind", "Into the Crystal Cave", "Crystal Tower"
  • BATTLE: "Battle 2", "Battle 1"
  • EVENT: "Elia, the Maiden of Water"
  • SPECIAL: "Prelude", "Ending Theme", "Return of the Warrior"

Final Fantasy IV
  • FIELD: Final Fantasy IV Main Theme, "Giant's Dungeon"
  • BATTLE: "Battle with Golbez's Four Emperors", "Battle 1", "The Final Battle", "Battle 2"
  • EVENT: "Theme of Love"
  • SPECIAL: "Prelude", "Ending Theme"

Final Fantasy V
  • FIELD: "Four Hearts", "Mambo de Chocobo", "In Search of Light"
  • BATTLE: "Battle at the Big Bridge", "The Final Battle", "Battle 1"
  • EVENT: "My Home, Sweet Home"
  • SPECIAL: Main Theme of Final Fantasy V, "The New Origin"

Final Fantasy VI
  • FIELD: "Terra's Theme", "Searching for Friends"
  • BATTLE: "Decisive Battle", "The Fierce Battle", "Dancing Mad", "Battle Theme"
  • EVENT: "Celes' Theme"
  • SPECIAL: "Omen", "Ending Theme"

Final Fantasy VII
  • FIELD: Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII, "Judgement Day", "Cosmo Canyon"
  • BATTLE: "One-Winged Angel", "J-E-N-O-V-A", "Those Who Fight", "Those Who Fight Further"
  • EVENT: "Aerith's Theme"
  • SPECIAL: "Prelude", "Staff Roll"

Final Fantasy VIII
  • FIELD: "Blue Fields", "Ride On", "The Castle"
  • BATTLE: "The Man with the Machine Gun"
  • EVENT: "Waltz for the Moon"
  • SPECIAL: "Overture", "Eyes on Me"

Final Fantasy IX
  • FIELD: "Over the Hills", "Something to Protect"
  • BATTLE: "Battle 1", "The Darkness of Eternity"
  • EVENT: "Beyond the Door"
  • SPECIAL: "The Place I'll Return to Someday", "Melodies of Life"

Final Fantasy X
  • FIELD: "Mi'ihen Highroad", "Someday the Dream Will End", "Movement in Green"
  • BATTLE: "Seymour Battle", "Battle Theme", "Challenge"
  • EVENT: "Suteki da ne"
  • SPECIAL: "To Zanarkand", "Suteki da ne -Orchestral Version-"

Final Fantasy XI
  • FIELD: "Ronfaure"
  • BATTLE: "Awakening", "Fighters of the Crystal", "Battle Theme", "Ragnarok"
  • EVENT: "Final Fantasy XI Opening Theme"
  • SPECIAL: "Vana'diel March", "Vana'diel March #2"

Final Fantasy XII
  • FIELD: "Giza Plains", "The Dalmasca Estersand", "The Royal City of Rabanastre/City Ward Upper Level"
  • BATTLE: "Clash of Swords", "Desperate Fight", "Esper Battle"
  • EVENT: "Theme of the Empire"
  • SPECIAL: "FINAL FANTASY ~FFXII Version~", "Ending Movie"

Final Fantasy XIII
  • FIELD: "Sunleth Waterscape", "Archylte Steppe", "March of the Dreadnoughts"
  • BATTLE: "Saber's Edge", "Blinded By Light", "Fighting Fate"
  • EVENT: "Defiers of Fate"
  • SPECIAL: "FINAL FANTASY XIII ~The Promise~, "Ending Credits"

Final Fantasy XIII-2
  • BATTLE: "Etro's Champion"

Final Fantasy Type-0
  • BATTLE: "What Becomes of Us"

Final Fantasy Versus XIII
  • FIELD: "Somnus"

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The sad part is that Somnus is still the most solid thing we have of XIII-2.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
I wish Square-Enix would try for more humour like Crazy Chocobo. One of my biggest criticisms of the Final Fantasy series since FF10 is the lack of good comedy. The games take themselves too seriously and when they do try for humour, it's usually very lame and kiddyish. But Crazy Chocobo was just so over the top it easily one of the biggest risks SE took with that game.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
To everyone who talked poo poo about Advent Children, gently caress you. It's flawed in various ways but the nonstop barrage of awesome characters, locations, and combat make it a one way ticket to nerdgasmville.

Here are some things that actually happen over the course of the movie: Tifa gets hurled at a wall and owns the loving landing, nearly destroying the back wall of Aeris' church. Cloud beats the poo poo out of Bahamut in mid-air after being boosted into the stratosphere by a gravity defying chain of his friends. Everyone smugly sits around on the airship while Cloud beats the crap out of Sephiroth by using the Six Paths of Pain. Cloud continually pulls other swords out of his sword :black101:. Reno and Rude walk around all over the place being awesome and getting their asses kicked. Rufus outshines anything he does in the games and pisses off the whiny wannabe Sephiroths by DODGING A loving BULLET and hurling himself off of a giant building with Jenova's core in hand.

I could go on and on. Such a good movie. Then again my favorite movie ever is Big Trouble in Little China, so clearly I have a tolerance for good cheese.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I was about to compose a list of all the reasons Advent Children was loving awful, but it looks like you already touched on most of them.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Nathilus posted:

To everyone who talked poo poo about Advent Children, gently caress you. It's flawed in various ways but the nonstop barrage of awesome characters, locations, and combat make it a one way ticket to nerdgasmville.

Here are some things that actually happen over the course of the movie: Tifa gets hurled at a wall and owns the loving landing, nearly destroying the back wall of Aeris' church. Cloud beats the poo poo out of Bahamut in mid-air after being boosted into the stratosphere by a gravity defying chain of his friends. Everyone smugly sits around on the airship while Cloud beats the crap out of Sephiroth by using the Six Paths of Pain. Cloud continually pulls other swords out of his sword :black101:. Reno and Rude walk around all over the place being awesome and getting their asses kicked. Rufus outshines anything he does in the games and pisses off the whiny wannabe Sephiroths by DODGING A loving BULLET and hurling himself off of a giant building with Jenova's core in hand.

I could go on and on. Such a good movie. Then again my favorite movie ever is Big Trouble in Little China, so clearly I have a tolerance for good cheese.

Those are 15 minutes surrounded by 75 minutes of nothing but :qq: and "character development? What the gently caress is that?"

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Nathilus posted:

This is pretty much exactly why Advent Children is so bad.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ah, you guys hate fun. Nathilus just listed every reason why AC was so hilariously absurd while remaining completely awesome.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Nathilus posted:

Everyone smugly sits around on the airship while Cloud beats the crap out of Sephiroth

The funniest part is that it was Cloud who was getting his teeth kicked in. He was being absolutely destroyed for most of the fight and was about a half-second away from dying while his buddies stood by and Vincent said "he must do this on his own" in a dramatic voice.

I kinda liked the Wannabe Sephiroths because they were cute. In fact, everyone looked really good in that movie now I think on it.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002
The movie's character designs (outside of Barret's goofy mesh shirt) were pleasantly muted, at least.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

AC was neat looking but I didn't really understand what all that singing and dancing was about during Tifa's fight at the church. Like, why does Tifa keep changing clothes and why are the Turks there?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Advent Children is a blast to watch as long as you skip all the dialogue, unless it's Reno and Rude talking. The complete version had some moments which really surprised you if you'd only seen the regular version before, especially during the fight with Sephiroth.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Azure_Horizon posted:

This is pretty much exactly why Advent Children is so bad.

I don't know what to tell you man, you seem to be from some sort of negaverse where fun sucks.

Greyscale Skies
Nov 23, 2010

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

The movie's character designs (outside of Barret's goofy mesh shirt) were pleasantly muted, at least.

Yeah, I was sort of taken aback by the discussion a couple pages ago about how Advent Children completely ruined Sephiroth. For all that was wrong with that movie, I thought the character designs remained relatively faithful.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

That song was edited to match up to OWA, right? :psyduck:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Nathilus posted:

I don't know what to tell you man, you seem to be from some sort of negaverse where fun sucks.

It's a bad action film. The action and music is pretty decent, but what's the point the audience can't care about 90% of the characters?

Yeah, it's cool to see someone slice up a Dragon, what's not cool is listening to characters prattle on about "Geostigma this" and "I'm a failure, that", with hokey relgious symoblism thrown in, and Cloud moping all movie, in an attempt to drag his charactisation back to the surly moo he was about mid-way through the first game. Only with more brooding.

That and they forget basic tenants of story telling, as the plot becomes more and more bloated. And things just, well happen. Because it's a cutscene, disguised as a movie. It doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable, but there's reasons people don't want to sit through it again, or that extended edition.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It takes more than the presence of good scenes to make a good movie.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Also those scenes sucked.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Speaking of Advent Children, I will never play XIII-2. Seeing the first couple epiodes in kung Fu Jesus' LP was enough to help me cement my resolve that the game was awful. The opening is like Advent Children only not even the action was good. this time around.

Also the god pantheon contradicts everything about XIII. It's like how everyone complained about the GF memory altering stuff only being mentioned once in a missable computer screen but this is a billion times worse since it directly effects the ending, the core motivations of the main villain, and the entire plot of the game.

I actually kinda liked XIII's ending with my original interpretation You know, when i followed what the game loving told me.

There ia a single God with Capital G. It made fal'Cie and humans.
Then fal'Cie decided to kill humans to bring Maker back.
Fal'Cie said the party existed to destroy Cocoon but party said "we have to stop the fal'Cie - that's our real Focus" (Vanille says something to this effect as oen of her generic quotes towards the end)
Then party stops fal'Cie and Vanille and Feng discover their true destiny was to save Cocoon.

Only it's all lies. There's no Maker, Barthandalus was an idiot who didn't know anything, the party were effectively dead because their true destiny was indeed to destroy Cocoon and it was only the intervention of a hitherto unmentioned god (in the actual story, not easily missed side materials) that saved anyone. So the party did not fight fate whatsoever.

Goddammit.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 22, 2012

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
It's your loss because XIII-2 is twice the game XIII is. Also if you're angry that it was only the work of a god that saved them from dying and it was a giant 'retcon'... well they touch on that plenty.

Also pretty sure they mention those other gods in the datalog in the first one, but I'm not sure.

edit; well they mention Lindzei and Etro in the analects, I can't remember if there was another god in 13-2.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Cityinthesea posted:

It's your loss because XIII-2 is twice the game XIII is. Also if you're angry that it was only the work of a god that saved them from dying and it was a giant 'retcon'... well they touch on that plenty.

Also pretty sure they mention those other gods in the datalog in the first one, but I'm not sure.

edit; well they mention Lindzei and Etro in the analects, I can't remember if there was another god in 13-2.

Nah, Etro's the only Goddess in 13-2. There's also the Chaos, but that's also alluded to in some of the analects. And none of this really contradicts what we're told in 13 - Etro is a higher form of being than the Fal'cie and the Maker is higher still. This is also in the Analects, it's simply not explained any further because very little of it has any bearing on 13 itself.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cityinthesea posted:

It's your loss because XIII-2 is twice the game XIII is.

Twice zero is still zero.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

The XIII games all share this big complex mythology but they only go into the parts that are relevant at the time, so XIII has a lot of stuff about Pulse, Lindzei, etc. because they play into the whole Pulse/Cocoon thing, whereas XIII-2 is almost entirely focused on Etro and why she's a big dumb fuckup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUlt89pbMl8

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well you know first impressions and all that. The last Square game where they threw in time travel for absolutely no reason was FFVIII. This coupled with the fact Toriyama is still writing the plot does not fill me with confidence when it comes to the game's story.

Also it's great XIII saw fit to only mention those highly imporant plot figures in completely optional quests that were not implied to have any story significance at all. Lesser writers might have thought it important to mention them in an actual cutscene considering one of them was instrumental in the game's climax.

And I've already quoted how XIII's main story contradicts all this bullshit.

quote:

Raines
The entity responsible for creating both humans and fal'Cie.
Long ago, the Maker departed this world, leaving the two races behind.
In a sense, human and fal'Cie are brothers; orphaned by the same parent.
As for the humans, they forgot the order imposed by the Maker. They began to war amongst themselves for the first time in history. The fal'Cie focused on recalling their lost deity and returning to its former glory.
This purpose lies at the heart of all their actions. Calling back the Maker requires a fitting sacrifice.

The cutscenes of XIII paint a very clear picture.

God made everything.
God left.
Fal'Cie want to get God to come back.

Only it's all bollocks. Two entirely different beings made humans and fal'Cie. Those beings in turn are also just "fal'Cie" to the real God of this stupid mythos. That God, Buniberzi I think, is also never mentioned in XIII.

In short, the motivation of XIII's villains is all nonsense and contradicts everything.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 22, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

NikkolasKing posted:

In short, the motivation of XIII's villains is all nonsense and contradicts everything.

XIII had villains? Is that what they're calling the writers these days? :smug:

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

So paradoxes were happening in Fabula Nova Crystallis before XIII-2 ran them straight through the ground and into space?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

NikkolasKing posted:

Well you know first impressions and all that. The last Square game where they threw in time travel for absolutely no reason was FFVIII.

(It was actually 4 Heroes of Light, but that should not change how you feel)

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Level Slide posted:

So paradoxes were happening in Fabula Nova Crystallis before XIII-2 ran them straight through the ground and into space?

XIII's ending was a paradox, but I think that was it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Well you know first impressions and all that. The last Square game where they threw in time travel for absolutely no reason was FFVIII. This coupled with the fact Toriyama is still writing the plot does not fill me with confidence when it comes to the game's story.

Also it's great XIII saw fit to only mention those highly imporant plot figures in completely optional quests that were not implied to have any story significance at all. Lesser writers might have thought it important to mention them in an actual cutscene considering one of them was instrumental in the game's climax.

And I've already quoted how XIII's main story contradicts all this bullshit.

The cutscenes of XIII paint a very clear picture.

God made everything.
God left.
Fal'Cie want to get God to come back.

Only it's all bollocks. Two entirely different beings made humans and fal'Cie. Those beings in turn are also just "fal'Cie" to the real God of this stupid mythos. That God, Buniberzi I think, is also never mentioned in XIII.

It's simple enough to rationilize - either Space Pope is looking for his own Maker, the Maker of all the Cocoon Fal'cie (Lindzei) and lied to Raines because he's a generic villain and an rear end in a top hat, or the Maker of the Gods (Bhuniberzi) and by extension their own creations. I doubt the writers were thinking about that from the start, but I've seen more damning plot holes. It's not like the details of the mythology have any immediate import on 13 anyway.