Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

CalvinDooglas posted:

I don't think I'd ever had Schneider's, but the store was out of Weihenstephaner. They're very similar, though the Schneider is a bit more subdued. Banana, clove, not too much yeast, though.

The Aventinus Doppelbock is one of my favourite beers. Whenever I go to the local German club here, I have at least one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Nam Taf posted:

The Aventinus Doppelbock is one of my favourite beers. Whenever I go to the local German club here, I have at least one.

Aventinus is a Weizenbock, unless there's another version. Great beer though, try out Weihenstaphen's Vitus as well.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

saints gambit posted:

Hey guys.

I feel like I've transgressed the thread a little. I'm the only nationally syndicated beer critic in Canada, and I was in San Diego at the CBC. I may have mentioned to the Cigar City dudes that at least one of them was a goon. I also said that whoever that was was fair, balanced and rational in talking about beer and a really good employee choice.

So, if you were wondering, Cigar City employee, that was me.

:getin:

Kosher man posted:

Geiger is the goon and he was not there. It was Joey and Justin at CBC (I was there as well) and I am sure neither of them knew what the hell you meant by Goon.

Justin texted me to tell me that some guy from some website was complimenting me. He was confused and probably thinks less of me now.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
congratulations, PA goons, for a step in the right direction!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Finally got to hit the city last night for CCBW. Hit a Firestone takeover at Burger Bar. Had Wookey Jack, which was rye-est rye beer I've ever had. I generally like rye beers but it was a bit overpowering. They were also doing tasting glasses of the FW-Revolution colab, which I thought was excellent.

Then off to Farmhouse, where they had a Macho Man tribute (?), 16 FFFs taps and 10 Jolly Pumpkins. Most of them were standard stuff but had a Hell's Black Intelligencer (FFF's breakfast stout) which is always amazing, and JP's Madrugada Obscura, which I had never had on tap. It seemed even tarter than from the bottle.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

funkybottoms posted:

congratulations, PA goons, for a step in the right direction!

That's pretty awesome for them. I don't think I have ever purchased a case of beer in my life and can't imagine being limited to that.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

CYBER SLIMER posted:

That's pretty awesome for them. I don't think I have ever purchased a case of beer in my life and can't imagine being limited to that.

You're not limited to that, there are bottle shops all over.

This law change doesn't have anything to do with distributors or bottle shops or buying six-packs from bars or anything other than a consumer walking into a *brewery* to buy beer. Before, the brewery could only sell in quantities of at least 64 ounces. Now they can sell singles.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Did some beer shopping, from top left to bottom right:

Hebrew Funky Jewbelation, Port Brewing Hop 15, Anchorage The Tide and Its Takers, Port Anniversary Ale, Left Hand Smoke Jumper, Dogfish Head Urkontinent, Goose Island Pere Jacques, Goose Island Pepe Nero, and the 12 pack is the Sam Adams IPA Hoptology.

First good beer haul I'm had in a while!

Midorka fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 21, 2012

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
So I had Nøgne ø's #100 Barleywine last night, and I'm seeing a trend here with the other strong ale I've had from them (their winter ale): they taste almost watery. Perhaps it's just the batches I got, but I wasn't all that impressed.

That said, while it's not incredibly related, I also drank vodka from a crystal skull last night. Hate vodka, love skulls. Once it's finished I'll probably use it as a decanter for other liquor, or perhaps cut and sand the top off to make a bitchin' goblet.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Kraven Moorhed posted:

So I had Nøgne ø's #100 Barleywine last night, and I'm seeing a trend here with the other strong ale I've had from them (their winter ale): they taste almost watery. Perhaps it's just the batches I got, but I wasn't all that impressed.

That said, while it's not incredibly related, I also drank vodka from a crystal skull last night. Hate vodka, love skulls. Once it's finished I'll probably use it as a decanter for other liquor, or perhaps cut and sand the top off to make a bitchin' goblet.

I hate vodka, but if Dan Akroyd is making vodka (Crystal Skull vodka is owned by him) it's probably decent.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 21, 2012

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Midorka posted:

I hate vodka, but if Dan Akroyd is making vodka (Crystal Skull vodka is owned by him) it's probably decent.

"Made by Dan Akroyd" seems like a really bad benchmark for any product.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Quiet Feet posted:

see: Blues Brothers 2000

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Quiet Feet posted:

I've honestly never understood the hullabaloo with expensive vodka. I once ran some 10 dollar vodka through a Brita filter like four times and then refilled up a Grey Goose bottle with it and nobody noticed. An intentionally flavorless beverage isn't usually something I'm looking to pay a lot of money for.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Hence retarded marketing gimmicks like a crystal skull. Although to be fair like Kraven Moorhead I'd be tempted to buy it once to reuse for other stuff. But yeah once you get out of the $11 plastic handle category I really don't see the point, you're buying an expensive brand just to look flashy.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Angry Grimace posted:

I've honestly never understood the hullabaloo with expensive vodka. I once ran some 10 dollar vodka through a Brita filter like four times and then refilled up a Grey Goose bottle with it and nobody noticed. An intentionally flavorless beverage isn't usually something I'm looking to pay a lot of money for.

The best bit is that the whole super-premium vodka line started with a business plan of "If we charge a ridiculous amount of money for it people will think it's quality and then they'll think that paying a ridiculous amount of money for it is justified." That's how you differentiate yourself from a bunch of other neutral spirits: charge more money than they do.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Phanatic posted:

The best bit is that the whole super-premium vodka line started with a business plan of "If we charge a ridiculous amount of money for it people will think it's quality and then they'll think that paying a ridiculous amount of money for it is justified." That's how you differentiate yourself from a bunch of other neutral spirits: charge more money than they do.

Vodka isn't a neutral spirit, that's a whole different category. Vodka is meant to taste neutral, but being called a neutral spirit is something different entirely, at least from my understanding. Everclear is a netral spirit.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Midorka posted:

Vodka isn't a neutral spirit, that's a whole different category. Vodka is meant to taste neutral, but being called a neutral spirit is something different entirely, at least from my understanding. Everclear is a netral spirit.

Yeah, but it starts as a neutral spirit, all that's done to it is dilution from the azeotrope: neutral spirits so distilled, or so treated after distillation with charcoal or other materials, as to be without distinctive character, aroma, taste, or color.

The point is that not only does it not taste like anything, it's not supposed to taste like anything. The quality of a vodka is determined by what you take out of it, not what you put in.

Midorka posted:

Thanks for the information. I do understand the concept of vodka not supposed to have a flavor by definition though. I hate the vile spirit though, I can get it down if I have to, but I hate it.

Vodka's the one spirit I don't give a poo poo about when I buy it, it's just got to be good enough not to have that oily kerosene note that happens when they don't bother to get the fusels out of it before it goes into a bottle. I'll spend money on bourbon, sure, but with vodka it's going into a mixed drink or having something infused in it and all I want it to do is be a neurotoxic solvent.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 22, 2012

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Phanatic posted:

Yeah, but it starts as a neutral spirit, all that's done to it is dilution from the azeotrope: neutral spirits so distilled, or so treated after distillation with charcoal or other materials, as to be without distinctive character, aroma, taste, or color.

The point is that not only does it not taste like anything, it's not supposed to taste like anything. The quality of a vodka is determined by what you take out of it, not what you put in.

Thanks for the information. I do understand the concept of vodka not supposed to have a flavor by definition though. I hate the vile spirit though, I can get it down if I have to, but I hate it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Speaking of random spirits+beer related stuff, I was talking to the instructor at a homebrewing workshop, who is also the head brewer at Ballast Point and he said they're doing "reverse barrel aging" now by taking a barrel that they aged an imperial stout in and then aging bourbon in it. That's going to be strange.

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Sometimes I look for Rupees.

Angry Grimace posted:

Speaking of random spirits+beer related stuff, I was talking to the instructor at a homebrewing workshop, who is also the head brewer at Ballast Point and he said they're doing "reverse barrel aging" now by taking a barrel that they aged an imperial stout in and then aging bourbon in it. That's going to be strange.

it's gonna be aged first in new charred oak, or it's only getting the aging treatment from a twice used barrel?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

RobBorer posted:

it's gonna be aged first in new charred oak, or it's only getting the aging treatment from a twice used barrel?

If it's not aged in new charred oak they can't legally call it bourbon. Some other sort of whiskey, but not bourbon.

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Sometimes I look for Rupees.

Phanatic posted:

If it's not aged in new charred oak they can't legally call it bourbon. Some other sort of whiskey, but not bourbon.

Yeah, but we don't have Ballast Point calling it bourbon, we have Angry Grimace's story about talking to the head brewer. Which is why I asked.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

So, craft beer week rules. I just came from revolution brewing in chicago where they tapped firestone parabola and 15, and I met someone there that told me about a Lagunitas gueuze (wtf?) at the map room, so I had to bike over. Worth the trip. Tastes like lil sumpin wild but funkier. Totally worth the $6 price of admission.

Edit: i'd almost describe the style as a pale gueuze. Nothing like anything I've had before.

crazyfish fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 22, 2012

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Churchkey outdoing themselves:

http://dcbeer.com/2012/05/21/churchkey-to-set-new-record-with-sierranevada-tap-takeover/

55 Sierra brews, their entire draft system.

Of course I will be out of town, fuckers.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Phanatic posted:

He might (read: probably didn't) not have have said it was bourbon specifically, but the conversation I had with him right before that was about BP's new bourbon (which definitely does meet the requirements for bourbon) so that's probably why I thought that. He probably just said whiskey.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Phanatic posted:

I think to be a "bourbon" it also must be aged in Kentucky for some amount of time. It'd be a bourbon by definition if it followed all the rules, but not technically a bourbon if it's not aged in Kentucky, from what I understand which is why Tennessee whiskeys aren't called bourbons despite being bourbons.

In beer talk, I had a Port Brewing Hop-15 and didn't enjoy it much, it was far too hoppy for me to like. The aroma was strong of turpentine and grapefruit with a mild citrus sweetness while the flavor was just an unbalanced hop mess.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Midorka posted:

I think to be a "bourbon" it also must be aged in Kentucky for some amount of time. It'd be a bourbon by definition if it followed all the rules, but not technically a bourbon if it's not aged in Kentucky, from what I understand which is why Tennessee whiskeys aren't called bourbons despite being bourbons.

In beer talk, I had a Port Brewing Hop-15 and didn't enjoy it much, it was far too hoppy for me to like. The aroma was strong of turpentine and grapefruit with a mild citrus sweetness while the flavor was just an unbalanced hop mess.

Nope. "Tennessee Whiskey" is a made up term. Jack Daniel's actually qualifies as Bourbon, they just don't call it that for marketing purposes. It just has to be a 51% corn grain bill and aged in charred oak new barrels plus some other irrelevant barreling rules (i.e. what proof it has to be going in and out)

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

Nope. "Tennessee Whiskey" is a made up term. Jack Daniel's actually qualifies as Bourbon, they just don't call it that for marketing purposes. It just has to be a 51% corn grain bill and aged in charred oak new barrels plus some other irrelevant barreling rules (i.e. what proof it has to be going in and out)

I agree fully and call it a bourbon, but I don't think it's aged in Kentucky, which I read somewhere that is required to be considered a bourbon. Either way, any bourbon not made in Kentucky isn't worth my time anyway. I say this with my bottle of Blantons, Woodford Reserve, Woodford Reserve Double Oake, Buffalo Trace, Basil Hayden's, Knob Creek Single Barrel, Bookers, PVW 15 year, and Woodford Reserve Kentucky Derby 138 next to me. I love bourbon, but only consider bourbon to be from Kentucky.

Edit: Yes I'm kind of bragging about my bourbon stash, but at least it's relevant.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 22, 2012

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Midorka posted:

I agree fully and call it a bourbon, but I don't think it's aged in Kentucky, which I read somewhere that is required to be considered a bourbon. Either way, any bourbon not made in Kentucky isn't worth my time anywhere. I say this with my bottle of Blantons, Woodford Reserve, Woodford Reserve Double Oake, Buffalo Trace, Basil Hayden's, Knob Creek Single Barrel, Bookers, PVW 15 year, and Woodford Reserve Kentucky Derby 138 next to me. I love bourbon, but only consider bourbon to be from Kentucky.

Edit: Yes I'm kind of bragging about my bourbon stash, but at least it's relevant.
Erm, no. I just didn't bother to quote the Code of Federal Regs that defines it because I didn't actually expect that anyone would actually think I just made that up. Kentucky has nothing to do with it in terms of the definition.

27 CFR 5.22(1)(i) posted:

(1)(i) “Bourbon whisky”, “rye whisky”, “wheat whisky”, “malt whisky”, or “rye malt whisky” is whisky produced at not exceeding 160° proof from a fermented mash of not less than 51 percent corn, rye, wheat, malted barley, or malted rye grain, respectively, and stored at not more than 125° proof in charred new oak containers; and also includes mixtures of such whiskies of the same type.

I mean, you're free to not drink bourbon from wherever, but frankly that's a pretty ridiculous attitude, particularly given it seems pretty clear you don't even know what bourbon actually is nor does it seem likely from your comments you've ever seen a bourbon that wasn't from Kentucky anyways.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 22, 2012

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, you're free to not drink bourbon from wherever, but frankly that's a pretty ridiculous attitude, particularly given it seems pretty clear you don't even know what bourbon actually is nor does it seem likely from your comments you've ever seen a bourbon that wasn't from Kentucky anyways.

The funniest thing about that attitude is that there isn't even any bourbon made in Bourbon County anymore! So I guess insularity has a practical limit.

Actually, no, the funniest thing is that he wouldn't consider Hirsch bourbon to be bourbon.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Phanatic posted:

The funniest thing about that attitude is that there isn't even any bourbon made in Bourbon County anymore! So I guess insularity has a practical limit.

Actually, no, the funniest thing is that he wouldn't consider Hirsch bourbon to be bourbon.

Bourbon is named for Old Bourbon County, Virginia, not the current Bourbon County, Kentucky.

So really, Bourbon County, Kentucky was never really where they made bourbon whiskey.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

Erm, no. I just didn't bother to quote the Code of Federal Regs that defines it because I didn't actually expect that anyone would actually think I just made that up. Kentucky has nothing to do with it in terms of the definition.

Anything classified as a bourbon by label is made in Kentucky so you can take your belittling comment, that my response had no reason for you to be a dick about, and frame it to make yourself feel good.

I'll wash down my night with a Troegenator and a glass of Woodford Reserve and call it a night. The general attitude in this thread is nothing but condescending remarks about who can dick wag with the most impressive beer and is far from friendly. Feel proud dudes that you've helped make this one of the most unapproachable threads I've seen on this site.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 22, 2012

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
I guess whiskey is like beer...

Can anyone tell me about Victory's Summer Love? I am intrigued, but it's expensive.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Midorka posted:

Anything classified as a bourbon by label is made in Kentucky so you can take your belittling comment, that my response had no reason for you to be a dick about, and frame it to make yourself feel good.

I'll wash down my night with a Troegenator and a glass of Woodford Reserve and call it a night. The general attitude in this thread is nothing but condescending remarks about who can dick wag with the most impressive beer and is far from friendly. Feel proud dudes that you've helped make this one of the most unapproachable threads I've seen on this site.
Um, actually that's demonstrably false and 100% wrong. Here's a list of a few bourbons not produced in Kentucky, taken directly from Wikipedia:

quote:

Bowman's — A. Smith Bowman Distillery (a Sazerac brand), Fredericksburg, Virginia (a microdistillery brand)
Hudson Baby Bourbon (a Tuthilltown Spirits brand)
Iowa Bourbon Whiskey - Cedar Ridge Distillery, Swisher, Iowa (a microdistillery brand)
Kings County Brooklyn Bourbon — Kings County Distillery, Brooklyn, New York (a microdistillery brand)
Cougar — Lawrenceburg Distillers Indiana , Lawrenceburg, Indiana (a Foster's brand, export only, sold in Australia and New Zealand)
Virginia Gentleman — A. Smith Bowman Distillery, Fredericksburg, Virginia (a microdistillery brand)
Woodstone Creek Straight Bourbon — Woodstone Creek Distillery, Cincinnati, Ohio (a microdistillery brand)
Widow Jane Bourbon - Rosendale and Brooklyn, New York, est. 2011
McKenzie Bourbon - Finger Lakes Distilling, Burdett, New York (a microdistillery brand)

I have no clue why you're actually surprised that someone thinks the attitude, "I refuse to drink Bourbon that's not from Kentucky, despite the fact that I'm pretty sure bourbon doesn't exist outside Kentucky" is utterly absurd. Particularly given the fact that since you didn't believe bourbon existed outside Kentucky until just now, there's no way you've actually *had* any bourbon from outside Kentucky.

I have no idea what that second paragraph is even referencing so I'm not going to touch that.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
There is a whiskey thread. Use it.

In other news, Founders Curmudgeon's Old Ale - smells like apples, caramel, and booze. On first taste you definitely notice the alcohol, but it calms down into a nice caramel, fruit, malt sweetness that is balanced very well. I actually like the alcohol presence a lot, starts off strong but after it settles the complexity of this beer really shines. Next Old Ale I want to try is North Coast's Stock Ale. See if I can find it this weekend. Not sure I'll be able to, if not I think I'm going to be trying Prima Pils and Brooklyn Pilsner to compare - haven't had too many of that style, if any.

edit: Also had Oskar Blues Old Chub. Liked it a bit more than Innis & Gunn Scotch Ale but I can't say I'm a big fan of the style.

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 22, 2012

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

TenaciousTomato posted:

There is a whiskey thread. Use it.

In other news, Founders Curmudgeon's Old Ale - smells like apples, caramel, and booze. On first taste you definitely notice the alcohol, but it calms down into a nice caramel, fruit, malt sweetness that is balanced very well. I actually like the alcohol presence a lot, starts off strong but after it settles the complexity of this beer really shines. Next Old Ale I want to try is North Coast's Stock Ale. See if I can find it this weekend. Not sure I'll be able to, if not I think I'm going to be trying Prima Pils and Brooklyn Pilsner to compare - haven't had too many of that style, if any.

edit: Also had Oskar Blues Old Chub. Liked it a bit more than Innis & Gunn Scotch Ale but I can't say I'm a big fan of the style.

I was a bit disappointed in Old Curmudgeon. Not to say that it isn't a good beer, but the Better Half version is significantly better and I guess that spoiled me on it, though if you're comparing apples to apples I think Bell's Third Coast is better.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

crazyfish posted:

I was a bit disappointed in Old Curmudgeon. Not to say that it isn't a good beer, but the Better Half version is significantly better and I guess that spoiled me on it, though if you're comparing apples to apples I think Bell's Third Coast is better.

Which sucks because Bell's doesn't distribute in my area AFAIK, and I haven't found Better Half either! Oh well.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

TenaciousTomato posted:

Next Old Ale I want to try is North Coast's Stock Ale. See if I can find it this weekend.

NC Old Stock is a huge beer. Very sweet, obvious alcohol presence. I strongly suggest getting a 4 pack and aging some.

quote:

I'm going to be trying Prima Pils and Brooklyn Pilsner to compare
I don't want to bias your tasting, but you will find that one of those stands out far more than the other.

quote:

edit: Also had Oskar Blues Old Chub.

Depending where you live, Old Chub is a great deal for a really good 8% brew. It was my go-to camping beer in Colorado; lots of calories, high abv, tastes good warm. Try Orkney Skullsplitter. If you're in/near CO, try Grand Lake Brewery Plaid Bastard.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

CalvinDooglas posted:

I don't want to bias your tasting, but you will find that one of those stands out far more than the other.

Old Chub.

Yeah I know it - Prima has some street cred in this thread. After looking up Brooklyn Pils on BA I'll probably mix a six with one of them in it and buy a six of Prima by itself. About Old Chub, anything by Oskar Blues is pricey around here since I live on the east coast, although I got really lucky with that 2 year old aged pack of Ten Fidy I somehow found for $10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlepants
Feb 4, 2007
Doctor
Here's Crafty Episode 3 - Ladyface Alehouse & Brasserie in Agoura Hills, CA. :)

http://youtu.be/AwLwk4fwTIQ

This is one of my favorite ones we've done so far - I'm pretty fond of the female cohost, and it was a really great venue. If you ever make it out to Agoura Hills, I seriously recommend their Cheseboro IPA. It's seriously the best IPA I've ever had. Now it's not the crazy high 9.7 ABV I think it was for the 200th batch they refer to in the episode, I think it's down in the neighborhood of 8.

Enjoy!