Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

Millions posted:

If anybody's made some neat pawns that they'd like to display in the ~Goon Pawn Showcase~ in the OP, feel free to post them!

Renly Baratheon (main) and Brienne of Tarth! :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

:stare: New Game+ is worth it.

edit: I'm not in NG+ yet - sorry for the confusion.

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 07:30 on May 22, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Gyoru posted:

Why do you say that? One of the first reviews I heard made it sound not so exciting.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Gyoru posted:

I was wondering just what's so special about New Game+ that Capcom would deem it worthy of an achievement to beat the game through it. Can you explain it or is it spoiler territory?

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Gyoru posted:

Since you're already past Post-Game, I'd like to get your opinion on something: How bad is the difference between stats with equipment factored in? By that, I mean can you still be a decent magic-dude if you have the right equipment even if most of your levels thus far were in Warrior or Ranger or are you pretty screwed?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Installing the game to my harddrive right now. This is taking quite a while!

When you transfer your demo characters to the main game, can you make some finishing touches to them? I think I want to lower my character's weight to medium since it appears him being a big beefy strongman is going to be detrimental.

Isko
May 20, 2008

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Installing the game to my harddrive right now. This is taking quite a while!

When you transfer your demo characters to the main game, can you make some finishing touches to them? I think I want to lower my character's weight to medium since it appears him being a big beefy strongman is going to be detrimental.

Your saved character will be the default one you start with when you open up the character editor/creator.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

NG+ seems crazy awesome.

Too bad I can't decide what character to play as yet so who knows if I'll actually get to that point

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

I mistook what I was playing as NG+, but it's actually the post-game. Still not sure what NG+ is yet.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Aries posted:

Hell yes, can't wait for this on Friday (drat you Australia).

The websites for JB Hi-Fi and EB Games both claim Dragon's Dogma is out on Thursday :confused:

Chumpy
Dec 28, 2008

Nap Ghost
Wait, someone's already at or near NG+? How long did it take to get there? I'm hoping you just had the street date broken by at least a few days, and marathoned it.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Question for those who have it already: do the large monsters(cyclops, chimera, etc.) respawn? I never saw that explained so I am kinda curious.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Chumpy posted:

Wait, someone's already at or near NG+? How long did it take to get there? I'm hoping you just had the street date broken by at least a few days, and marathoned it.

Some people have had the game for a couple of days because Capcom shipped copies bought from their online store on Wed or Thurs.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
I don't know if Gyoru stopped streaming at some point, but he played the game constantly for the first couple days he had it, I mean like 'every waking moment' levels of constantly.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

A BLACK PRESIDENT posted:

Question for those who have it already: do the large monsters(cyclops, chimera, etc.) respawn? I never saw that explained so I am kinda curious.
Reviews said they do, they all have a certain territory staked out and reappear in it after a while. Dunno how long.

Myriad
Apr 26, 2010

Count Uvula posted:

I don't know if Gyoru stopped streaming at some point, but he played the game constantly for the first couple days he had it, I mean like 'every waking moment' levels of constantly.

He was still going when I left for work this morning

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Is there a dodge button I'm missing? I want to play a melee Strider, but if there isn't a dodge of some kind...

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Brackhar posted:

Is there a dodge button I'm missing? I want to play a melee Strider, but if there isn't a dodge of some kind...

It's a Strider skill, I believe?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

What's the hands-on combat feel like?

So far as RPGs of this style go, I'm coming fresh out of Dark Souls, and I am in love with the solid, paced, satisfyingly balance combat controls that game had.

Difficulty aside (I assume this game is far more forgiving), how does that comparison in terms of mechanics and input measure up?

Mazed fucked around with this message at 08:38 on May 22, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mazed posted:

Difficulty aside (I assume this game is far more forgiving), how does that comparison in terms of mechanics and input measure up?

Iiiit kind of isn't. It doesn't obfuscate basic gameplay concepts like Demon's Souls did, but the difficulty curve is PUNISHING.

After a brief introductory sequence which gives you a chance to experiment with some very basic mechanics (but doesn't explain them much) you're thrown in the world. You get some basic quests and what seems like the plot hook to progress the main story further.

So of course you start doing the side quests. That's what you do in an RPG, right? Well, then you loving DIE. HORRIBLY. OVER AND OVER! Because the quests are hard! Like really hard!

OK that didn't work, so you go exploring in the world. Kill some goblins, have a tough fight with some wolves. Then you take a wrong turn in the goblin-filled meadows and a loving griffin (or something equally big) turns up and loving MURDERS YOUR rear end. Guess you shouldn't have been where you were!

So I'd say this game really scratches the same kind of itch (at least for me) as Demon's Souls did. You get a wonderfully dark and dangerous world where you have to sink or swim, and you'll probably sink an awful lot before you learn to slowly doggy peddle around, but when you do, it's a wonderful feeling.

smushroomed
May 24, 2009
How is death handled?
Start back over from checkpoint but keep all progress/exp/gear? Or start back from checkpoint like Amalur? Or start back over from last save?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I have to wait until Friday to play this because games still don't release in every country at the same time. The only upside is due to something happening on Thursday night I took the Friday off so I could drink

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

How large is the install on the 360? I am stuck with a 20 gig HD so space is always at a premium.

Also out of the people I know I am the only person not making some sort of Game of Thrones knockoff characters, which is disappointing. I am not going for high art mind you because at the moment in the Demo my char/pawn is set as Conan and Red Sonja.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

smushroomed posted:

How is death handled?
Start back over from checkpoint but keep all progress/exp/gear? Or start back from checkpoint like Amalur? Or start back over from last save?

Last save. I really should learn to save more often so my frequent deaths don't result in a 30 minute redo.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Millions posted:

:stare:

Do my eyes decieve me or is a mage flaming on and jumping onto a chimera to punch him to death? I only just saw this now in the OP, but this makes me completely reconsider my starting class.

Dawnfire fucked around with this message at 09:42 on May 22, 2012

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Goddamn living in the UK, we get ours on the 25th. Friday can't come soon enough.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Evil Canadian posted:

Also out of the people I know I am the only person not making some sort of Game of Thrones knockoff characters, which is disappointing. I am not going for high art mind you because at the moment in the Demo my char/pawn is set as Conan and Red Sonja.
Yeah I think GoT is going to be pretty well represented. Gyoru was streaming his game on like Friday or Saturday and looking through the pawn list and there was already at least one version of every major character, with Gyoru himself playing as Davos and Tyrion.

Dawnfire posted:

:stare:

Do my eyes decieve me or is a mage flaming on and jumping onto a chimera to punch him to death? I only just saw this now in the OP, but this makes me completely reconsider my starting class.
The class is the magick archer but yeah that's the premise of the skill. The upgraded version drains your health slower so you can stay lit longer.

Gup
Mar 17, 2008
Ah! I just heard the game is on it's way and will probably be delivered before I get home from work this afternoon.

Thing is; I have been playing Dark Souls for the first time since everybody in the old DD thread wouldn't stop gushing over it. And by god were they right. It's an awesome game (and I love playing through it completely blank) but I'm a bit worried that if I pick up DD first thing tonight, I won't be going back to DS for sometime and I *really* want to finish it. So could anybody give me an estimate of how long I've got ahead of me till I reach the end game? Here be spoilers:I just placed the Lord Vessel and know the locations of the doors in the tomb of giants, Anor Londo and the Londo Ruins. I'm lvl 60-ish, with a build that focuses mostly on strength and defenses (Havel armor set (no shield) and Black Knight GS but I don't know how much game I've got left for just the main story.

So! Anyway! Dragons Dogma!

I'm still on the fence on what vocations to choose, but I'll probably roll with a magic knight for my main char and have a strider as my main pawn. Can anybody tell (spoil) what's so great about the post-game content?

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

VDay posted:

The class is the magick archer but yeah that's the premise of the skill. The upgraded version drains your health slower so you can stay lit longer.

Welp, so much for going only magic knight. Now I know I'm going to screw up my stats from trying every single class in the game on my character. Going to be worth it though to try all the fun styles of combat in this game. Really makes me wish there you could have some cross class skills in the game. I know about the nice cross class perks you can get, but man do I want to the ability to flame on no matter which class I'm on.

About the weight chart in the OP. I assume they're the same units as the demo? Because it seems like most females are going to end up as S or SS unless you hulk/giant/fat them up. The extra stamina and stamina use reduction is going to be great on my char, but I hope being an S doesn't block her from carrying a big greatsword down the line.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
Okay, maybe I'm just being a retard here, but how do you import characters you've made from the demo? I've made my character and pawn in the demo and saved the data, but when I start the main game I do the griffin fight with the premade character, and then it launches me right into the character creator and I can't see any options for importing from the demo. I really hate to think that I need to write everything down and remake them both from scratch. :(

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

If you're going warrior and intend on using a 2 handed weapon, being small isn't great anyway. From what I remember small characters get knocked/interrupted a lot easier so while you get better stamina use, you'll struggle to get attacks off

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Can someone explain what the op means by saying the graphics are better on PS3? I'm still torturing myself with which version to get. I'm surprised to hear that everyone is saying the ps3 is the one to get in the last day or 2 considering how much better the Xbox demo ran.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

NESguerilla posted:

Can someone explain what the op means by saying the graphics are better on PS3? I'm still torturing myself with which version to get. I'm surprised to hear that everyone is saying the ps3 is the one to get in the last day or 2 considering how much better the Xbox demo ran.

I was following the previous thread and I don't remember it ever being definitively established the PS3 version was better; I think the info in the OP is based on the reviews for the game and not the ever trustworthy goonpinions?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

hamburgers in pockets posted:

Okay, maybe I'm just being a retard here, but how do you import characters you've made from the demo? I've made my character and pawn in the demo and saved the data, but when I start the main game I do the griffin fight with the premade character, and then it launches me right into the character creator and I can't see any options for importing from the demo. I really hate to think that I need to write everything down and remake them both from scratch. :(

For me it automatically loaded my created character and without commenting on it in any way it just automatically made it the current preset in the full game. And later when I got to make my pawn it loaded my pawn up too.

Are you sure you're using the same storage location for the demo and the full game? Both from the same region?

NESguerilla posted:

I've installed the 360 version and it runs fine.

apocrypha
Mar 1, 2009

hamburgers in pockets posted:

The guys you made in the demo should be showing up as the default choice as soon as the creator starts up in the main game. When you start up the game it'll say something about importing your demo data. Once you go through the prologue you'll get to the character generator and it should be the exact same thing you last modified in the demo for that character/pawn.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I hope people can give their opinions on the different classes by Friday so I can make some sort of decision on what I'm going to play.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Der Shovel posted:

Iiiit kind of isn't. It doesn't obfuscate basic gameplay concepts like Demon's Souls did, but the difficulty curve is PUNISHING.

After a brief introductory sequence which gives you a chance to experiment with some very basic mechanics (but doesn't explain them much) you're thrown in the world. You get some basic quests and what seems like the plot hook to progress the main story further.

So of course you start doing the side quests. That's what you do in an RPG, right? Well, then you loving DIE. HORRIBLY. OVER AND OVER! Because the quests are hard! Like really hard!

OK that didn't work, so you go exploring in the world. Kill some goblins, have a tough fight with some wolves. Then you take a wrong turn in the goblin-filled meadows and a loving griffin (or something equally big) turns up and loving MURDERS YOUR rear end. Guess you shouldn't have been where you were!

So I'd say this game really scratches the same kind of itch (at least for me) as Demon's Souls did. You get a wonderfully dark and dangerous world where you have to sink or swim, and you'll probably sink an awful lot before you learn to slowly doggy peddle around, but when you do, it's a wonderful feeling.

Oh, drat, that's actually a good thing. :buddy: If the difficulty curve is there, and around as well-tuned as the ones in the Souls games, that rewards trial and error as opposed to just grinding your rear end off so you can cheese your way through content, I'm actually interested in this.

Honestly: If a video game shows me a monster, and the first thing I consider is how many horrible ways something like that can kill me, and not how much XP it's worth or whether it has any nice loot, then it's a loving good game.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 22, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Scott Bakula posted:

I hope people can give their opinions on the different classes by Friday so I can make some sort of decision on what I'm going to play.
My decision on the first time through an RPG is always easy.

"Swords, not words!"

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.

Cheap Trick posted:

The websites for JB Hi-Fi and EB Games both claim Dragon's Dogma is out on Thursday :confused:

Why are they toying with us so! You know you'll turn up in store and they'll just tell you it's not out until Friday, the evil bastards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Count Uvula posted:

I was following the previous thread and I don't remember it ever being definitively established the PS3 version was better; I think the info in the OP is based on the reviews for the game and not the ever trustworthy goonpinions?

It's based on IGN's review solely, which other reviews and streams have proven is incorrect.

• Locked thread