Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Harley is gonna be water cooled soon :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Aren't the vrods water cooled?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
They don't count, it's liquid freedom

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah, I mean ALL of them. V-rod is a separate model line of its own.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Z3n posted:

Aren't the vrods water cooled?

They are, and they're the bastard child of Harley's lineup. They're actually looked down upon by Stereotypical Harley people.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
There's some patent drawings floating around of H-D's water cooling solution for the non-V-Rod models, they're basically just going to be water cooling the heads and tucking the radiators pretty much totally out of sight. Air-cooled engines are not long for this world anyway, emissions standards will kill them off sooner rather than later.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

2ndclasscitizen posted:

There's some patent drawings floating around of H-D's water cooling solution for the non-V-Rod models, they're basically just going to be water cooling the heads and tucking the radiators pretty much totally out of sight. Air-cooled engines are not long for this world anyway, emissions standards will kill them off sooner rather than later.
That's why they're doing it. Even BMW has a road ready prototype of a water cooled boxer already.

I'd make fun of Harley's future water cooled heads with finned air cooled cylinders, but that's exactly what my Ducati is. It's still idiotic though.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Gotta love it when marketing departments don't "get" social media

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

redscare posted:

Gotta love it when marketing departments don't "get" social media

When the parody has jumped the shark (based on the last batch of pseudo-tweets, it clearly has) does the thing parodied become cool again?

Allow for the possibility that they figured negative/jokester attention was still attention, and everyone who has gone back to the well has repeatedly placed eyeballs on at least three versions of the HD logo, an eagle, a skull, and a bunch of ill-advised US-centric sloganeering that is at odds with the company's global strategy.

That's a net marketing win, actually.

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004

Marv Hushman posted:

Allow for the possibility that they figured negative/jokester attention was still attention, and everyone who has gone back to the well has repeatedly placed eyeballs on at least three versions of the HD logo, an eagle, a skull, and a bunch of ill-advised US-centric sloganeering that is at odds with the company's global strategy.

That's a net marketing win, actually.

I don't think any competent marketer actually believes that "any press is good press," especially when marketing a name that has as much traction as HD. Even among controversial campaigns, the negative attention has to remain on the ad, not the product. When your product is being trashed in your campaign without spin or control, no amount of silver lining makes sense.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I remember hearing somebody commenting critically on an HD marketing thing a few years ago, can't remember the details, but there was some HD internal memo about leveraging their brand image or something, and the guy said, "You already have a customer base who tattoos your logo into their skin. How much more leveraged can you get?"

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

If you guys are willing to believe a "I know a guy who knows a guy" story, those water cooled head ideas have been floating around Harley for years and have repeatedly been shot down. Emissions probably will eventually force it, but I wouldn't expect it any time soon.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

I don't think any competent marketer actually believes that "any press is good press," especially when marketing a name that has as much traction as HD. Even among controversial campaigns, the negative attention has to remain on the ad, not the product. When your product is being trashed in your campaign without spin or control, no amount of silver lining makes sense.

The campaign started in March. Are you suggesting that they haven't noticed after 2+ months, or that the merry pranksters at CA were the first to exploit it? I love a good joke, and some of the above are first rate. I'm even game for taking it a step further and contacting their people to find out what on earth they were thinking.

As Rev says, this isn't for the converted. Maybe it's for the eventually converted. Sooner or later, you tire of looking like Colonel Stapp in a fetal position, or looking at the 20-year old tarp-covered pile at the back of the garage that houses the big red machine and the testicle jar, assuming you were allowed to keep either. At that point, I don't where else these people would go--all of the bored millionaires trying to make a go of iconic, retro and boutique brands will have moved on to running Napa Valley vineyards with clever names.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Deeters posted:

If you guys are willing to believe a "I know a guy who knows a guy" story, those water cooled head ideas have been floating around Harley for years and have repeatedly been shot down. Emissions probably will eventually force it, but I wouldn't expect it any time soon.
Yeah but I know for a fact it's true that BMW has a water cooled boxer in road testing now, and my understanding is the reason behind this is European emissions regulations, forcing all manufacturers to go water-cooled in the very near future, just like you said. Surely this applies to HD too if they ever want to sell bikes there in the future.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Their big seller in Europe is already liquid cooled, so there's that.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
What effect does water cooling have on emissions? Don't get it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Backov posted:

What effect does water cooling have on emissions? Don't get it.

An air-cooled engine takes longer to reach operating temperature and will fluctuate, depending whether you're sitting still and idling or riding at speed.

Stable temperatures are better for predictable emissions and faster engine-warmup is much better for catalytic converters.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
What's the appeal of air cooled? History, easier mechanics, or something else?

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
To me it seems like a no brainer - air cooled all the way. Radiators suck. Water pumps suck. All that poo poo sucks and not having to deal with it on motorcycles is fantastic.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KARMA! posted:

What's the appeal of air cooled? History, easier mechanics, or something else?

No need to worry about coolant, water pumps etc., that's pretty much it.

Plus finned engines look cool.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Backov posted:

To me it seems like a no brainer - air cooled all the way. Radiators suck. Water pumps suck. All that poo poo sucks and not having to deal with it on motorcycles is fantastic.

Unless, of course, you want performance out of your bikes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

An air-cooled engine takes longer to reach operating temperature and will fluctuate, depending whether you're sitting still and idling or riding at speed.

Stable temperatures are better for predictable emissions and faster engine-warmup is much better for catalytic converters.

Right, but it's more than just stable emissions...a hot engine produces more nitrogen oxides, and a cool engine more hydrocarbons. NOs are significantly more toxic than HCs, and harder to clean up in a catalytic converter.

I do kind of like that with an air-cooled engine there isn't an instant-overheat failure mode (coolant loss), though. In that sense they're more reliable, yes?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Z3n posted:

Unless, of course, you want performance out of your bikes.

:v: "Performance" - horsepower is cool and all, but for a street bike I kind of just want it to be comfortable and fun.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Right, but it's more than just stable emissions...a hot engine produces more nitrogen oxides, and a cool engine more hydrocarbons. NOs are significantly more toxic than HCs, and harder to clean up in a catalytic converter.

I do kind of like that with an air-cooled engine there isn't an instant-overheat failure mode (coolant loss), though. In that sense they're more reliable, yes?

The failure mode for an air cooled bike is a warped head, so...no, they're not. You can run a water cooled bike without a good amount of coolant for a long time (don't ask me how I know), but eventually it'll croak. If you don't keep air moving over the fins of an air cooled bike, eventually it'll cook the engine block, which was the original justification for lane sharing.

clutchpuck posted:

:v: "Performance" - horsepower is cool and all, but for a street bike I kind of just want it to be comfortable and fun.
Well, performance also has a lot to do with efficiency. Tighter tolerances allow for more precise tuning. There are some companies out there that manage to tune the poo poo out of air cooled engines for incredible efficiency (BMW 1200 Boxer twins are incredibly efficient) but most of the time you're sacrificing HP against displacement when you're running air cooled vs. water cooled. For me, not getting cooked by the engine with proper radiator placement is a big plus for water over air cooled bikes.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
The difference is Air cooled bikes love freedom and hate cagers and liquid cooling bikes are for fanny-pack wearing europeans and those shifty asians.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Can't have a rice burner without water. :colbert:

(Has anyone else ever heard that phrase used? I only heard it when I was a kid...)

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
That's a little too clever to catch on with True American Hogriders®.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
What has this thread turned into :negative:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

^^^^^^ For a while it really was doing an admirable job as a safe space for the CA Harley owners, but I guess the urge to invade was just too strong

Z3n posted:

Can't have a rice burner without water. :colbert:

(Has anyone else ever heard that phrase used? I only heard it when I was a kid...)

It's funny, because when the term "rice burner" was invented, all the Japanese bikes were air-cooled too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It was this threads destiny to devolve into harley loling

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Olde Weird Tip posted:

It was this threads destiny to devolve into harley loling

We were doing fine until that terrible attempt at social media marketing via twitter.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I posted about my bike on the internet but everyone started making fun of me #stereotypicalharley

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

clutchpuck posted:

This is a perfectly reasonable statement, but Harley has to have bragging rights on horsepower and displacement over those gol-durned metric cruisers so they keep making their air-cooled engines bigger and heavier to compensate

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

^^^^^^ For a while it really was doing an admirable job as a safe space for the CA Harley owners, but I guess the urge to invade was just too strong

No one is safe from the long, stereotypical unfeeling touch of Harley's marketing arm.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I feel bad, cause if Harley people invaded a BMW thread, I'd want to stab them all with a drive shaft. So here's a Harley I like

http://www.pipeburn.com/home/2010/11/17/harley-sportster-cafe-racer.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

This is a perfectly reasonable statement, but Harley has to have bragging rights on horsepower and displacement over those gol-durned metric cruisers so they keep making their air-cooled engines bigger and heavier to compensate

Actually the Japanese makers took the lead on the displacement wars about a decade ago. Yamaha makes an 1854cc engine. Suzuki also makes an 1800. Kawasaki makes a 2000cc engine for their Vulcan, they largest on the market. Harley's largest is an 1800, and it was just released in the last couple years as an option on the "CVO" bikes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Would.

angryhampster posted:

Actually the Japanese makers took the lead on the displacement wars about a decade ago.

Ahem.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Rocket_III

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I feel bad, cause if Harley people invaded a BMW thread, I'd want to stab them all with a drive shaft.

Hot drat, where do I sign up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Holy crap I've never heard of this. To be fair though -- I was only referring to twins.

• Locked thread