Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

3D Budgie posted:

Some of the class information for this game is strange. The official site and the OP here, says that Mystic Knight can only use 1h swords/maces and shields. This video http://youtu.be/5lds9KFgoZ4, shows them playing Mystic Knight with a staff and shield combo.

Does anyone with the game have the correct information for class restrictions etc?

Mystic Knights can use staves and have access to some of the spells Mages have as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

Gyoru posted:

Fighter - 1H Swords/Maces, Shields
Mage - Staves
Strider - DW Daggers, Shortbows
Warrior - 2H Swords/Hammers
Sorcerer - 1H Staves, 2H Archstaves
Ranger - DW Daggers, Longbows
Mystic Knight - 1H Swords/Maces/Staves, Magic Shields (towershields)
Magick Archer - 1H Staves, DW Daggers, Magic Bows
Assassin - 1H Swords/Maces, Shields, DW Daggers, Shortbows

Ah, sorry for the misinformation. I was going off an old CapcomUnity post. The OP should be correct now.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel
YES!! Shopto.net came through - just got a text message saying they've posted my copy today so I should have it tomorrow (a whole 2 days earlier than the release date here) :)

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

So, I failed the prologue, mostly because I threw my pawn off the cliff and didn't use the Rift stone. The game still starts and I got the achievement, does it make a difference?

Also, is there anyway to dual wield swords or maybe a sword and a dagger?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Did someone in the previous thread say that you can get rank 4 gear from killing drakes?

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel
Yeah, I think he said that your rank 3 equipment can get upgraded to rank 4 by killing 'draconic enemies'.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Tufty posted:

Yeah, I think he said that your rank 3 equipment can get upgraded to rank 4 by killing 'draconic enemies'.

I'm guessing it's a random thing, huh? I just killed a drake and my gear's still at rank 3.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

iastudent posted:

I'm guessing it's a random thing, huh? I just killed a drake and my gear's still at rank 3.

I think he means the drops you get from killing the drake can be used to upgrade your gear to level 4, though after the drake sword in DS I don't know anymore.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If you don't have a Fry's nearby and don't mind waiting: Newegg has the game for $49.99

http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemai...ID=1376258&SID=

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.

ImpAtom posted:

My copy did this too. I think it may be something with the game as other things install fine. I just kept trying and it eventually installed without trouble.

The new disc format games can have trouble installing. Disconnecting from Xbox Live first should work.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Harlock posted:

If you don't have a Fry's nearby and don't mind waiting: Newegg has the game for $49.99

Amazon is also offering $10 off still, even outside of pre-orders.

It isn't straight off the top, it's a $10 Amazon credit, but it works out to the same thing if you do any buying from them at all.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Going to Fry's right now to pick this up, so loving excited. Hope they actually have the game though, that Fry's is pretty lovely sometimes. *knocks on wood*

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Chick3n posted:

The new disc format games can have trouble installing. Disconnecting from Xbox Live first should work.

Didn't for me. I had to just give it a little more time, and eventually it started to install. Thought I read somewhere it was just due to preparing the abnormally large amount of files it needs to transfer or something, but I'm not sure. Didn't know there even was a new disc format.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

^^^were you just cancelling/restarting the install?

ChibiSoma posted:

Get the last copy Best Buy had, get it home, go to install it... 360 makes some ugly, ugly noises and the install won't start.

So hurray, either my copy of the game is hosed in the ear or my 360 is dying. Again. For about the fourth time in a year.

Lemme kill some manticores and poo poo, god dammit! :argh:

E: Thought it might be the hard drive, but the game saves/loads just fine and plays alright without being installed. Obviously I don't want to just play from the disc, though. Anyone got any ideas?

Won't install for me either. Wtf?! We are off to a good start already.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

X360 players:

If anyone wants to hire my main pawn Tyrion for free, add me.
GT: Gyoru

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg

Harlock posted:

Thanks for this, I also have that ShopRunner trial still where I get free 2 day shipping. Sweet.

VDay posted:

Going to Fry's right now to pick this up, so loving excited. Hope they actually have the game though, that Fry's is pretty lovely sometimes. *knocks on wood*
You could use a telephone to call them ahead of time. :eng101:

Chompers
Jun 29, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

Won't install for me either. Wtf?! We are off to a good start already.

DD uses a new variant of copy protection in which additional data is stored in the very edge of the disk, an area normally left blank. This coupled with the games 43,000 files makes the 360 hang at the start of installation, it can take up-to 5 minutes for the drive install location prompt to appear and over 15 minutes to install.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Is there any way to install this on PS3? I've checked the options but nothing is there and there's no option when you start the game up.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Marogareh posted:

Is there any way to install this on PS3? I've checked the options but nothing is there and there's no option when you start the game up.

Most PS3 games have mandatory partial installs because the BluRay drive can't read game data quite as fast as the old roaring DVD drives. No option for full installs however.

Vallens
Jan 27, 2004

Get back in line you drunken fool!
I've a question I have not seen discussed.

What happens to the items your 3rd and 4th pawn have picked up when you return them?

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Chompers posted:

DD uses a new variant of copy protection in which additional data is stored in the very edge of the disk, an area normally left blank. This coupled with the games 43,000 files makes the 360 hang at the start of installation, it can take up-to 5 minutes for the drive install location prompt to appear and over 15 minutes to install.

I think this might be something worth putting in the first post of the thread. Most people are going to be installing the game, and suddenly having the game apparently not want to do that might freak some people out. It's useful information to have handy. It's normal, but you're gonna need to go have a sandwich or something while you wait, because it's gonna take some time.

NESguerilla posted:

I let it roll for about 2 minutes and nothing happened the first few tries. It took about 3 1/2 for it to actually give me the installation bar.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
This game is really fun. Thankfully I got the Gamestop bonus crystals and already had Gyoru on my friends list so I've been able to jump right in and start adventuring with high-level pawns.

I think Gyoru's is level 50-something... and I've still died three times.

Also I got the two pieces of DLC since I just got a $50 points card for $35 or something. You get Mercedes' armor which I put on my pawn but not after first trying it on myself... and realizing it's definitely meant for women. It's nice looking but takes up like every equipment slot so that sort of takes away from the fun of getting loot for my pawn, too, since I imagine if I keep enhancing it it will last into the endgame.

Role Play McMurphy fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 22, 2012

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My wife lost her purse earlier last week and we had to cancel the credit cards, and I forgot to change my information for my preorder. Went to go check its status this morning and finally got it fixed. It said it's still on track for release day shipping, at least. Hopefully I'll get to play some tonight. :ohdear:

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

ChibiSoma posted:

I think this might be something worth putting in the first post of the thread. Most people are going to be installing the game, and suddenly having the game apparently not want to do that might freak some people out. It's useful information to have handy. It's normal, but you're gonna need to go have a sandwich or something while you wait, because it's gonna take some time.

Agreed, added it. If anyone else has anything to add to the OP, let me know!

Reive
May 21, 2009

Just started the game, just want to point out something for people wondering what version to get.

I got it for 360, so far there is quite a bit of screen tearing but you're not going to notice it unless you look for it, it seems to be more prominent in towns and crowded battles as it tears in order to prevent frame drops, it's also less noticeable than on recorded video, probably due to the capture process.

Framerate wise it's very fluid and smooth, the only drops I've seen are when the autosave kicks in, or when quest pop-ups appear so it shouldn't be very often.

As for pop-in I've only noticed NPCs and a few non-important objects show up a split second late, I'll report on enemies when I come across larger groups.

Anyway, when is the earliest I can change my character's appearance?
I noticed I chose the wrong face type on accident.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
Trapped myself in a fortress surrounded by bandits and an ogre. Every fight results in my group getting swarmed by something like 10 archers and 5 fighters.

Doesn't help that I'm out of healing items. I guess the only solution is to use the quest item to see what it obliterates.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Vallens posted:

I've a question I have not seen discussed.

What happens to the items your 3rd and 4th pawn have picked up when you return them?

They give them to their owners. They count as gifts.

As for the 360 install, trying disconnecting from Live before installing. Soul Calibur 5 had this same issue and that fixed it.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

the Gaffe posted:

You could use a telephone to call them ahead of time. :eng101:

Would've done that except that Fry's has shown in the past that what an employee says over the phone has about a 30% chance of actually being true. It wasn't a big deal because there was a Target, GameStop, and a Best Buy within like 5 mins.

Trip report: Fry's is indeed selling it for $49.99, although my Fry's still had the $59.99 sticker on the box. Went straight to 49.99 when the cashier scanned it in though. Installing now :toot:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

They give them to their owners. They count as gifts.

I could've sworn there was something in-game that said that their items automatically went to your storage after they left, but maybe I read that wrong.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

I just slew a Hydra. :c00l:

Pankratos
Dec 26, 2009

YOU DEFEATED
Made a google docs spreadsheet for the game. Tell me if you guys can't access it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjSfcATozBXidFB3ZVVQUDA2d2tfZElncXB4ZXk0OWc

Maxcraft
Feb 3, 2005

Pankratos posted:

Made a google docs spreadsheet for the game. Tell me if you guys can't access it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjSfcATozBXidFB3ZVVQUDA2d2tfZElncXB4ZXk0OWc

Uh thanks!!!
I'll add to it tomorrow when I get my game, should be a Straider, not sure about the name yet. Ow man can't wait to goon with the goons

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Just saw things going terribly wrong for Gyoru in his stream, and all I can think is: "And people were worried this would be easy."

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Lotish posted:

Just saw things going terribly wrong for Gyoru in his stream, and all I can think is: "And people were worried this would be easy."

He's on post-game stuff, right?

Somehow that does not comfort me. :ohdear:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Might be worth adding to the OP, here's a gamefaqs post that's serving as a makeshift guide right now while actual guides are being made. Has some really good info and links to other post about stuff like augments, class skills, pawn character, etc. Worth a look for anyone like me who likes to plan things out in an RPG, or if you're just curious what augments/classes the different vocations get.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/626515-dragons-dogma/62873069

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

DLC is up on PSN now.

A Coiffure You Can't Refuse (8 hairstyles + Captain's Armor) - $1.99
From a Different Sky - Part 1 (10-quest pack) - $1.99
Rift Crystal Pack (2000 Rift Crystals) - $0.99

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tufty posted:

YES!! Shopto.net came through - just got a text message saying they've posted my copy today so I should have it tomorrow (a whole 2 days earlier than the release date here) :)

Same here, I love them, even if they're not as cheap as they were before they got popular. :v:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

iastudent posted:

From a Different Sky - Part 1 (10-quest pack) - $1.99
This is double the price of the same DLC on 360.

That's terrible.

Wooph
Oct 28, 2010

by angerbot
There's something a little worrying I'm noticing in some video's and Gyoru's stream. Once you've leveled and become stronger, doesn't it start to get tedious, running around all the low level areas where enemies barely do any damage at all to you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
For people who were wondering why there's no explicit PS3 install:

quote:

Q: Game Install and Technical Issues

A: The game does have a mandatory install on the PS3 but it runs in the back ground during the first bits of gameplay. Basically it installs while you play, so the game will smooth out later.
That's pretty clever. I don't think I've seen any other game do that.

• Locked thread