Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

KataraniSword posted:

...And now I'm envisioning Cloud making York's horribly uncanny valley faces and expressions.

LET'S MOSEY.

"Did you see that Zack? Clear as a crisp spring morning, B..M.. in the high-potion. I knew I could count on it, It never fails." *creepy smile*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

quote:

Zack

It's actually clever, in a way, how the spoiler everyone talks about acts as a decoy to the other spoiler that's probably more plot relevant

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Concordat posted:

Except the battle multiplier was disabled in the final game. So you're still on track.

Oh whew.

No I just have to make sure I made the right choices and put down everyone else enough.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Aeris said that Cloud looked like Zack, but Zack's parents didn't seem to notice that. So which is it?

Strange...

Indeterminacy
Sep 9, 2011

Excuse me, your Rabbit parts are undetached.

SirPhoebos posted:

It's actually clever, in a way, how the spoiler everyone talks about acts as a decoy to the other spoiler that's probably more plot relevant
The spoilering here is too meta for me to understand what you're not trying to spoil. Are you talking about how the focus on the relations between Zack, Aeris and Cloud are important enough to distract from the link between Red XIII, Hojo and Sephiroth? Or am I missing something?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Aeris said that Cloud looked like Zack, but Zack's parents didn't seem to notice that. So which is it?

Strange...

From the way she is speaking, I dont think he actually LOOKS like him in the face or whatever but he is dressed the same (you see SOLDIER 3rd class in the shinra building and they basically have the same clothes as Cloud in a different colour), his eyes glow and the way he speaks and his mannerisms and such are identical. Like that move he does with brushing his hair back when he is being condescending maybe, or the way he randomly starts doing squats for no reason when he gets excited, or how he likes talking about the Ramones and really bad 80s movies

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
On repeat playthroughs, I always liked to stare straight ahead during the entire gondola sequence and make Cloud look even more awkward than usual.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

On repeat playthroughs, I always liked to stare straight ahead during the entire gondola sequence and make Cloud look even more awkward than usual.

I'm probably going to have to make a video of mine so I can have CLOUD headbang like a lunatic, as though Interrupted by Fireworks is the heaviest song.

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.
Is it a spoiler to say who you can't go on a date with? Because I'm disappointed you can't go on the gondola with Cid Highwind.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
The first time I actually played this game, I got Tifa as my date. I don't remember how, considering it's really, really drat easy to get Aeris.

Pineapple Salad
Apr 4, 2012

What a neverending story, Mark!
Where's my date with Wrex, Elentor? :colbert:

Probably my favorite version of the date is where Cloud screws up everything in the play, causing Aeris to lose her poo poo, slap him across the face, and punch the Evil Dragon King so hard that he flies off stage. Nobody fucks with the Aeris.

In previous playthroughs, I always misinterpreted their conversation in the gondola. I thought Aeris was saying that she was attracted to Cloud simply because he reminded her of Zack, but now she wanted to know more about him as a completely different person. I guess to a certain point that is still what she's saying, but I like the implication that she sees through him and seems to know that he's not who he says he is. It's good foreshadowing, and it's a great way to integrate the romantic subplot into the actual plot itself, rather than being a fanservicey distraction from the story (I'm looking at you, Bioware).

Pineapple Salad fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 22, 2012

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Those ghosts are really enjoying themselves.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

As we keep advancing through this LP, I'm consistently surprised at how much of the plot I don't actually remember. It's really refreshing, and because I've played through the game a few times and know the fundamental plot points, I'm really getting a lot out of seeing the guts of the story. It's really enjoyable.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Kuvo posted:

Between :ghost: and Cid sleeping through the plot, this is one of the best screenshots in the game.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Faraday Cage posted:

Is it a spoiler to say who you can't go on a date with? Because I'm disappointed you can't go on the gondola with Cid Highwind.

Actually, you can. Just not on a date. The gondola is available at any time and you can take any character.

And when you take Vincent it is awkward and hilarious.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

TurnipFritter posted:

They really, truly do. It was certainly nice for the game to give the player something awesome to look at during all the :words:

The whole hotel is a great demonstration of how awesome and whimsical PSX RPG backgrounds were.

I've never been as engrossed in the atmosphere of a game, like I was with FVII, and the backgrounds(with the music) is a big reason why. The Midgar slums have a powerful feeling of poverty and being beaten down that I haven't seen in any modern game.

CharismaticHorsey posted:

After seeing that end conversation I really want Cloud calling out to Zack in monologue. Something to the effect of: "That Aeris sure is something isn't she, Zach Zack?"

This reminds me of a detail I'm a little fuzzy about.Who is The voice that talks to Cloud in his head? I can't remember if it's Zack(or Cloud's memory of him), Sephiroth's influence manifested, or just his fractured psyche.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Canemacar posted:

I've never been as engrossed in the atmosphere of a game, like I was with FVII, and the backgrounds(with the music) is a big reason why. The Midgar slums have a powerful feeling of poverty and being beaten down that I haven't seen in any modern game.

This reminds me of a detail I'm a little fuzzy about.Who is The voice that talks to Cloud in his head? I can't remember if it's Zack(or Cloud's memory of him), Sephiroth's influence manifested, or just his fractured psyche.

It's his real personality.

I was always a little confused how Cloud's appearently the only person to have heard of the black materia before and how it's "too complicated" when it's really not and he doesn't even realize what Sephiroth is planning to do with it until he's explicitly told so later in the game.

VVVVVVV

You can take anyone you want on a ride but I don't think they have any dialogue outside of this date scene.

John Luebke fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 22, 2012

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.

Kithrixx posted:

Actually, you can. Just not on a date. The gondola is available at any time and you can take any character.

And when you take Vincent it is awkward and hilarious.

Wait, is this for real? I never knew about it, and now I'm curious as hell. Good thing I just bought FFVII off the PS Store this weekend because I was feeling nostalgic (and my brother managed to misplace every single one of my old PS1 games).

e: Actually, I own an untouched copy of Crisis Core, too. Would it be better if I played it before or after doing a replay of VII?

Black Feather fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 22, 2012

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Black Feather posted:

e: Actually, I own an untouched copy of Crisis Core, too. Would it be better if I played it before or after doing a replay of VII?

Definitely play it afterwards. It plays heavily on the nostalgia and recognition factor, even of it's a solid game.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Isn't Crisis Core the game that intro'd Gackt into the game universe as an actual character?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Canemacar posted:

Isn't Crisis Core the game that intro'd Gackt into the game universe as an actual character?

No, that was Dirge of Cerberus. CC was just the one that had a bigger focus on him.

Pineapple Salad
Apr 4, 2012

What a neverending story, Mark!
Play it after VII. Even if you already know what happens, it's more suspenseful to play the original game first and experience the mystery of figuring out what exactly happened in Cloud's past, because Crisis Core is based on events that you don't find out about until the end of Disk 2. Personally, I didn't care for CC all that much, but it's the best of the FFVII spinoffs by a longshot, so it's worth at least one playthrough.

Pineapple Salad fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 22, 2012

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pineapple Salad posted:

Where's my date with Wrex, Elentor? :colbert:

I said I am going to show every date in future updates.

Every single one.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Canemacar posted:

We don't talk about the EU. Unless it is to bash it.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

I'm glad this LP exists. I spent the longest time not knowing how great Aeris is. Plus, :ghost: is amazing. I could just go on forever about how much I love the effort they put into the environments. :allears:

Also, I'm curious to see all the possible ways to flub the play, and to see the other dates. The non-obvious dates I found are more amusing (or one of them would have been if the game wasn't a jerk).

We need a gif of Cloud dancing off the stage.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Elentor posted:

Every single one.

Are you going to include the one that I think every person who wrote Sephiroth/Cloud fanfiction hoped for, where Sephiroth appears out of nowhere and asks Cloud on a date?

Granted, that would be rather entertaining, only for how awkward it would be.

Cloud: So... just out of curiosity... is there ONE person on the planet you didn't brag to about wanting to find the promised land?
Sephiroth: Listen, I just get lost easily. I wasn't bragging, I was asking for directions. Some crazy guy in Cosmo Canyon said to head for the temple of the ancients, but didn't bother to mention WHERE it is.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Elentor posted:

Every single one.

How far ahead in the future? I might get the date I'm aiming for and save you one.

Either way I've been a jerk to Aerated so I can't get hers (unless I do anyway because I'm really not paying that much attention to it).

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

How far ahead in the future? I might get the date I'm aiming for and save you one.

Either way I've been a jerk to Aerated so I can't get hers (unless I do anyway because I'm really not paying that much attention to it).

One per update for the next 4 updates. Shouldn't take long, I'll get these done this week.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
That OCR version of "Words Drowned by Fireworks" is a really beautiful remix of an already majestic song. Absolutely gorgeous.

It's been a long wait, but well worth it. Probably the #2 LP moment I've been waiting for all this time (The other one being the Man Festival of the Shadow Hearts 2 Lets Play. Sorry!). What a sweet first date.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Kuvo posted:

The smilin' devil under the stairs is my favorite

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
So if the Cetera commune with spirits, and there are chess playing ghosts in the employ of Golden Saucer, is Dio one of the Cetera?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Explains why he really has the keystone...

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

DrPain posted:

So if the Cetera commune with spirits, and there are chess playing ghosts in the employ of Golden Saucer, is Dio one of the Cetera?

His real first name is Peter. :ssh:

Okay, I know I usually don't make jokes based on spelling outside of LP commentary, but I couldn't resist.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Are there any games that have this pseudo-dating sim aspect to them besides FF10 and tales of symphonia? I always thought it was an interesting little thing. Instead of just "go through my dialogue trees and we gently caress offscreen" you just get a little extra screentime with whatever character.

Symptomless Coma
Mar 30, 2007
for shock value
If you're prepared to dive in, I seem to remember Baldur's Gate 2 being very depthy in that regard.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

darealkooky posted:

Are there any games that have this pseudo-dating sim aspect to them besides FF10 and tales of symphonia? I always thought it was an interesting little thing. Instead of just "go through my dialogue trees and we gently caress offscreen" you just get a little extra screentime with whatever character.

It was ridiculously out of place in the latter two games though, because they're entirely about the romance between the male and female lead. Here it isn't the main draw of the game.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Momomo posted:

It was ridiculously out of place in the latter two games though, because they're entirely about the romance between the male and female lead. Here it isn't the main draw of the game.

FFX was pretty gimped and out of place but how was symphonia about that at all?

TiltedAtWindmills
Sep 4, 2009
There's the Star Ocean games (at least the first one, haven't played any of the others) but I'm not sure if that's a rabbit hole you want to dive into.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TiltedAtWindmills posted:

There's the Star Ocean games (at least the first one, haven't played any of the others) but I'm not sure if that's a rabbit hole you want to dive into.

With 2 and 3 unless you've been keeping track of numbers all game it's probably going to be a surprise. 2 at least has a scene with whoever the main character is shacking up with. Once in 3 I got an ending with Adray. I had never used Adray all game. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

darealkooky posted:

FFX was pretty gimped and out of place but how was symphonia about that at all?

The end of the first act of the game is literally about giving up the entire world for one person, the second act is almost entirely about getting her to talk again, and the third involves fixing her curse.

• Locked thread