Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mest0r posted:

I would love for Fuji to do a ballsy move and make the X100 line of cameras a true manual focus, fixed lens range finder since they have the Xpro1 now. Of course there's probably no real market for it, but a man can dream. :unsmith:

The question would be why they WOULDN'T include autofocus - they already do, to the best of my knowledge the presence of an AF motor doesn't affect the image in any way (whereas a Bayer filter / lowpass filter do), and you can always y'know, turn it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

SoundMonkey posted:

The question would be why they WOULDN'T include autofocus - they already do, to the best of my knowledge the presence of an AF motor doesn't affect the image in any way (whereas a Bayer filter / lowpass filter do), and you can always y'know, turn it off.

Manual focus that's actually focus by wire doesn't feel the same as true mechanical manual focus. That said, I don't see Fuji being able to take that kind of risk.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

MrBlandAverage posted:

Manual focus that's actually focus by wire doesn't feel the same as true mechanical manual focus. That said, I don't see Fuji being able to take that kind of risk.

Oh I know, and to hell with focus by wire forever. You do still get mechanical manual focus when you disengage the drive screw on (screw-driven) Nikon lenses though. It's not ideal since it clearly wasn't designed to be the primary way of focusing, but I imagine it could be improved if some company really wanted to.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
In the dpreview article it says something about RAW headroom and pulling information out of an overexposed area because only one of the color channels has clipped.

Is that a real thing? If so, am I missing a bunch of detail in blown out areas that I could be seeing in an alpha channel?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

squidflakes posted:

In the dpreview article it says something about RAW headroom and pulling information out of an overexposed area because only one of the color channels has clipped.

Is that a real thing? If so, am I missing a bunch of detail in blown out areas that I could be seeing in an alpha channel?

I'm pretty sure they mean that with colour raw files, you can blow the red channel and you might still be able to haul something usable out of blue and green with software, but if there's only one channel (ie, monochrome), if a pixel is blown out, it's just plain blown out and you can't do poo poo about it in post.

I think the first technique is what most software uses for recovering blown highlights.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

SoundMonkey posted:

Well all I meant was that it would be cool if Fuji turned the X100 line into an actual digital rangefinder camera so that there's more than one company (Leica) filling that niche. That's not the direction they're going obviously, but it'd just be an interesting move.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
I could have sworn I heard about Epson making an update to the RD1 that would be using M-Mount glass.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

McMadCow posted:

I could have sworn I heard about Epson making an update to the RD1 that would be using M-Mount glass.

Maybe in dreamland... :-/

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

SoundMonkey posted:

I'm pretty sure they mean that with colour raw files, you can blow the red channel and you might still be able to haul something usable out of blue and green with software, but if there's only one channel (ie, monochrome), if a pixel is blown out, it's just plain blown out and you can't do poo poo about it in post.

I think the first technique is what most software uses for recovering blown highlights.

Replace the Bayer filter with per-photosite ND filters at like 5 stop intervals, get like 30 stops of dynamic range.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

aliencowboy posted:

OH MAN. There's finally a trailer and release date. I haven't been this excited for a movie since I was a 7 year old with a head full of dinosaurs and a theatre full of Jurassic Parks.

https://vimeo.com/40974947

FULL SCREEN AHEAD

Well drat. That's pretty exciting.

Reichstag posted:

Maybe in dreamland... :-/

All I want is a place to use my old M-mount glass. A true rangefinder would be amazing, but I'd settle for a full-frame NEX without complaint.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

aliencowboy posted:

OH MAN. There's finally a trailer and release date. I haven't been this excited for a movie since I was a 7 year old with a head full of dinosaurs and a theatre full of Jurassic Parks.

https://vimeo.com/40974947

FULL SCREEN AHEAD

I hated Baraka.
HATED IT.

HATED :argh:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

McMadCow posted:

I hated Baraka.
HATED IT.

HATED :argh:

Well a hatred of stunning visual imagery WOULD fit with your photos... :v:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

SoundMonkey posted:

Oh I know, and to hell with focus by wire forever. You do still get mechanical manual focus when you disengage the drive screw on (screw-driven) Nikon lenses though. It's not ideal since it clearly wasn't designed to be the primary way of focusing, but I imagine it could be improved if some company really wanted to.
Most Canon EF lenses have mechanical focus coupling (I think there is about two exceptions), and a few of them come with Full Time Manual which means you can do manual adjustments without having to switch to the lens to manual. I believe some Nikon lenses also have full time manual capabilities.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturenews/9261983/Camera-sells-for-record-1.7-million.html

A Leica just sold for 2.16 million euros

No details on whether that price included a lens cloth, a spare battery and a table-top tripod.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Most Canon EF lenses have mechanical focus coupling (I think there is about two exceptions), and a few of them come with Full Time Manual which means you can do manual adjustments without having to switch to the lens to manual. I believe some Nikon lenses also have full time manual capabilities.

If a lens actually did have real mechanically coupled focusing, it'd have a hard stop at infinity. Most of the full time override ones I've used have a sort of 'bump' at infinity, but the ring keeps turning.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

SoundMonkey posted:

If a lens actually did have real mechanically coupled focusing, it'd have a hard stop at infinity. Most of the full time override ones I've used have a sort of 'bump' at infinity, but the ring keeps turning.

I thought fly by wire specifically meant that you would turn the focus ring, and the camera would sense the movement and tell the internal motor to move the focus. This can't be the case with Nikon's lenses because you can focus them when they are off the camera and aren't getting power.

I'm guessing the focus is mechanically linked, but it disengages when the focus hits its own internal hard stop. There has to be some sort of mechanism that allows for the camera to turn the focus internally without moving the external focus ring, after all. Obviously it doesn't feel nearly as nice as a real manual focus lens, though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

spog posted:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturenews/9261983/Camera-sells-for-record-1.7-million.html

A Leica just sold for 2.16 million euros

No details on whether that price included a lens cloth, a spare battery and a table-top tripod.

So just slightly more expensive than your average Leica then.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

ShadeofBlue posted:

I'm guessing the focus is mechanically linked, but it disengages when the focus hits its own internal hard stop. There has to be some sort of mechanism that allows for the camera to turn the focus internally without moving the external focus ring, after all. Obviously it doesn't feel nearly as nice as a real manual focus lens, though.

This actually isn't the case on many Nikon screw-drive lenses... I've had the focus ring ripped out of my hand by the autofocus motor more than once when I was holding the lens wrong :v:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

SoundMonkey posted:

A clutch is still a mechanical linkage. It's what allows EF lenses' focus rings, at least (besides the f/1.2 lenses, which are focus by wire) to be turned past infinity.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SoundMonkey posted:

This actually isn't the case on many Nikon screw-drive lenses... I've had the focus ring ripped out of my hand by the autofocus motor more than once when I was holding the lens wrong :v:
Yeah there's no clutch on most AF-D lenses.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

SoundMonkey posted:

Yes, I assumed you were talking about AF-S lenses specifically, since they're the ones with the lack of a hard stop when manually focusing :). Although some AF-D lenses have clutches you can engage yourself when switching between AF and MF (is that still called a clutch? I'm not that familiar with the proper terms here).

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

SoundMonkey posted:

Well a hatred of stunning visual imagery WOULD fit with your photos... :v:

I will not fall for your mod sass honey trap. :colbert:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

McMadCow posted:

I will not fall for your mod sass liquor trap. :colbert:

I believe this would be a more accurate description of any sort of trap made by Soundmonkey Industries Incorporated.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.
*edit* petapix
http://www.petapixel.com/2012/05/14/kodak-had-a-nuclear-reactor-in-the-bowels-of-its-rochester-campus/

The secret ingredient in Kodachrome, revealed at last.

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 15, 2012

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

That article's behind a paywall.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

a foolish pianist posted:

That article's behind a paywall.

disable javascript to bring down this wall

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.

atomicthumbs posted:

disable javascript to bring down this wall

Not much of a wall, is it :)

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

or just gizmodo: http://gizmodo.com/5909961/kodak-had-a-secret-weapons+grade-nuclear-reactor-hidden-in-a-basement

oh yes, 3.5 lb of "enriched uranium." the other article makes it seem like HEU but it's hard to tell. either way it's nowhere near enough to make a weapon.

depending how much U235 is in there it's cat II or III. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_nuclear_material

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It doesn't surprise me that Kodak had access to it or got authorization for it though.. they had a pretty cozy relationship with government agencies for large chunks of the last century. They made all the film used in the corona satellites, for example.

Doors open once you get top level security clearance. :v:

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

It's times like these that make me wish I had a Mac (or Linux).

I had prepared a client's files to burn on a DVD. All the contents of one folder were short cuts in a custom order linking to files in two other folders (to save on hard drive space).

Trouble is there's no simple way to copy the targets of the short cuts instead of the short cuts themselves and keep the files names/order in Win7.

Half an hour wasted on undoing efficiency :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You could look into Cygwin, which will give a UNIX bash shell.. I use it religiously and it makes Windows a whole lot more powerful.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.
quote != edit

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A little bit of digital camera science so you can end the day feeling smarter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsdmt0De8Hw

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
Am I the only one who feels bad if he doesn't catch up on all the posts on PAD? I have 1000 unread :(

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Clown posted:

Am I the only one who feels bad if he doesn't catch up on all the posts on PAD? I have 1000 unread :(

You should feel pretty bad about that.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Clown posted:

I don't really mind. I get tired of scrolling down past the walls of text to see pictures, personally.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I've got a friend about to self-publish a book on the street photographs he took at night and I'd just like to share a video he made compiling a selection of photos from the book: http://vimeo.com/42332325

grumblybear
Jul 24, 2007
(2S)-1-phenylpropan-2-amine

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/pho/3032077694.html

hahah.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
This seems to be pretty cool, is anyone local to try it out or talk about the experience?
https://vimeo.com/41710130

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

This seems to be pretty cool, is anyone local to try it out or talk about the experience?
https://vimeo.com/41710130

That's awesome. I'll be in SF in a few months, I'm writing this down.