Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Clown posted:

Am I the only one who feels bad if he doesn't catch up on all the posts on PAD? I have 1000 unread :(

For some reason, I find PAD significantly more boring than SAD was. I can't tell if it's because the ratio of text to pictures is higher, or because it encourages a different type of photography, or what, but it's just not the same. I miss SAD :(.

SoundMonkey is gonna probate me now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Awkward Davies posted:

For some reason, I find PAD significantly more boring than SAD was. I can't tell if it's because the ratio of text to pictures is higher, or because it encourages a different type of photography, or what, but it's just not the same. I miss SAD :(.

Don't probate me either SM. But yeah this.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

To be the dissenter, I like PAD a lot more since the change. The discussion about pictures is nice and there's certainly a lot more of it.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

xzzy posted:

To be the dissenter, I like PAD a lot more since the change. The discussion about pictures is nice and there's certainly a lot more of it.

This is true. But it cost us our dumping ground.
It's probably for the best though, I always saw this place as somewhere to come to get better, and that doesn't happen when you're just showing stuff and not getting any feedback (unless it's exceptional, but then you probably don't need the help anyway).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, but on the other hand the volume in the subject-specific threads seems to have gone up. So I guess those are turning into the dumping grounds.. and still get more discussion than SAD did.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I basically stopped reading Dorkroom once SAD went away. Wah wah :(

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I've definitely lowered the amount of time I spend in the Dorkroom since SAD went away too. Going through 20 different threads to look at people's photos just isn't the same as spending 10 minutes going through SAD looking at everyone's cool photos from the day before.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Awkward Davies posted:

Feedback ain't a thing you get probated for, son.

I did mention way back when SAD first went away that I wasn't actually discounting the possibility of a similar thread existing in the future, although not the way it was. I'm not quite sure what the amounts to yet, or when to do it, but killing SAD wasn't the end of having a "just post photos" thread.

If any new thread does exist though, it'll be hugely different, and I'll do pretty much everything I reasonably can to make it not-SAD. Such as, perhaps, prohibiting discussion of any kind. I dunno. Anyone with ideas though, hop on over to the rules thread.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I don't miss SAD. If I want to look at 100 pictures a day there's always Flickr. If I want to discuss photos and getting better at photography, I come to the Dorkroom.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

This seems to be pretty cool, is anyone local to try it out or talk about the experience?
https://vimeo.com/41710130

I'll be in SF this weekend - I'll try to go.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

MrBlandAverage posted:

I'll be in SF this weekend - I'll try to go.

I know some of the people connected to the place, so I was there when they were having their open houses during construction. It's a pretty awesome setup.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

This seems to be pretty cool, is anyone local to try it out or talk about the experience?
https://vimeo.com/41710130

It's got me very excited about trying some tintypes, but for the love of god will somebody buy the man a box of gloves for when he handles cadmium etc based chemicals :gonk:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Spedman posted:

It's got me very excited about trying some tintypes, but for the love of god will somebody buy the man a box of gloves for when he handles cadmium etc based chemicals :gonk:

You just don't "get" art, man.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

SoundMonkey posted:

You just don't "get" art, man.

It's worth more when you're dead, so he's just accelerating his return on investment.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Spedman posted:

Fun fact: the more toxic a chemical is, the cooler things it can do. Consider: Sepia intensifying film is pretty weak but safe. Selenium intensifying is pretty toxic but pretty effective. Mercury intensification is excellent but incredibly nasty.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Does anyone know the name of the photographer who takes star trail photos in the salt flats or deserts of Austrailia (I think)? I think he was in the Post Awesome Photographers thread. I remember they almost looked abstract with the horizon so flat and the starts circling directly over the horizon.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!

Saint Fu posted:

Does anyone know the name of the photographer who takes star trail photos in the salt flats or deserts of Austrailia (I think)? I think he was in the Post Awesome Photographers thread. I remember they almost looked abstract with the horizon so flat and the starts circling directly over the horizon.

Not sure if it's who you mean, but if its not you should check out Murray Fredericks and the documentary about his crazy large format adventures in Lake Eyre anyway, titled "Salt".

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Yeah that's the guy. Love how easy it is to find something in the DR even with such an obscure recollection. Thanks.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

Not sure if it's who you mean, but if its not you should check out Murray Fredericks and the documentary about his crazy large format adventures in Lake Eyre anyway, titled "Salt".

Holy hot drat I think I saw that documentary at last year's Banff Mountain Film Festival (or rather, when they came to my theatre on their tour thing). Was that the one where he was riding a bicycle for a bit and the ground was all lovely and muddy and it sucked?

Great documentary though.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.
My office just bought a 60D for everyone to use for their photos. I work with a bunch of older people who have no idea how DSLR's work, so I'm torn - part of me is laughing at how terrible a choice it was to not go for a simple P&S, the other part dreads having to take pictures for everyone/show them how to take pictures in full auto.

Is there any resource on the net I can point them to that would teach them how to use this camera? Like, for a complete newbie.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Green square mode and live view and everybody can use it just like a cumbersome point & shoot. May god have mercy on your soul if that dial slips over to M...

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Look in the hole and press the button.

Menorah on Fire
Aug 20, 2006
*Look in the hole, half hold the thing until it beeps, then press the button :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Beastruction posted:

Holes are no good anymore. LCD screens are the new hotness. People apparently love trying to hold a camera in a position ready to shoot while at the same time using a small screen for composition.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Beastruction posted:

That's what she said!

Actual message content: Try putting it in program mode if you don't want non-stop pop-up flash photos.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!

SoundMonkey posted:

Holy hot drat I think I saw that documentary at last year's Banff Mountain Film Festival (or rather, when they came to my theatre on their tour thing). Was that the one where he was riding a bicycle for a bit and the ground was all lovely and muddy and it sucked?

Great documentary though.

That's the one.

Dude spent ages out there in pretty harsh conditions and spent a lot of money. I love how they don't show his pictures til near the end, and the whole time he's just like "I really don't know if it's worth it... I am spending all this time away from my family and I just don't even know if any of these will turn out." and then you see them and they're fricking amazing.

EDIT: also I don't know if it's still the case but the documentary was free to watch on the abc's site (Australian broadcasting company) a year ago.

Lon Lon Rabbit fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 25, 2012

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Fucken hipsters :rolleyes:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

SoundMonkey posted:

Feedback ain't a thing you get probated for, son.

I did mention way back when SAD first went away that I wasn't actually discounting the possibility of a similar thread existing in the future, although not the way it was. I'm not quite sure what the amounts to yet, or when to do it, but killing SAD wasn't the end of having a "just post photos" thread.

If any new thread does exist though, it'll be hugely different, and I'll do pretty much everything I reasonably can to make it not-SAD. Such as, perhaps, prohibiting discussion of any kind. I dunno. Anyone with ideas though, hop on over to the rules thread.

I didn't like SAD going away at first, but now it turned out to be a win-win. PAD is not nearly as threatening to post in as I saw it to be after posting a few of my photos up. I've gotten good advice and some praise which is also nice.

It does make me think twice about posting a photo if I feel it's a bit poo poo, too. The quality of work that gets tossed up in PAD is quite high.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Fucken hipsters :rolleyes:

I love Bill Murray.

One of my coworkers has the best Bill Murray story. He was at a hotel going up to his floor when Bill Murray walked in. He looked at him and got star struck just staring at him. Bill did nothing but looked bored. As soon as my friend's floor came up he got off only to get tackled from behind by Bill Murray and have him whisper "Noone will ever believe you."

loving Bill Murray man.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Soulex posted:

I love Bill Murray.

One of my coworkers has the best Bill Murray story. He was at a hotel going up to his floor when Bill Murray walked in. He looked at him and got star struck just staring at him. Bill did nothing but looked bored. As soon as my friend's floor came up he got off only to get tackled from behind by Bill Murray and have him whisper "Noone will ever believe you."

loving Bill Murray man.

That story has been posted on the internet for years now with various details changed.
http://gawker.com/5591356/bill-murray-on-the-bill-murray-no-one-will-ever-believe-you-urban-legend

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable

HeyEng posted:

That story has been posted on the internet for years now with various details changed.
http://gawker.com/5591356/bill-murray-on-the-bill-murray-no-one-will-ever-believe-you-urban-legend

Well sure, it's possible it's just an urban legend that people have just reposted all over the internet, but I choose to believe this is just something Bill Murray does all the time in the full knowledge that the more the story gets told the less likely his poor victims will be taken seriously. :tinfoil:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Holistic Detective posted:

Well sure, it's possible it's just an urban legend that people have just reposted all over the internet, but I choose to believe this is just something Bill Murray does all the time in the full knowledge that the more the story gets told the less likely his poor victims will be taken seriously. :tinfoil:

He doesn't really confirm or deny. I figure he's actually done it a few times.

OOPRCT
Jun 19, 2004
Does anybody know of good Japanese photo magazines (something similar to Aperture)?

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I shot a wedding with AIIAZNSK8ER today. At one point he got in the way. He figured it out though.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Soulex posted:

I love Bill Murray.

loving Bill Murray man.

One of my friends was walking down the road when he was in HS and Bill Murray came and gave him a lift down the road.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

BobTheCow posted:

I shot a wedding with AIIAZNSK8ER today. At one point he got in the way. He figured it out though.

I like to imagine he did a backwards roll to get out of frame.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Man, Tumblr is pretty crazy. One photo of mine got reposted by someone and now it's at like 5300+ reposts or something. And then the Pinterest folks caught on to it.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

HPL posted:

Man, Tumblr is pretty crazy. One photo of mine got reposted by someone and now it's at like 5300+ reposts or something. And then the Pinterest folks caught on to it.

Which one?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

HPL posted:

Yeah come on, do a little bragging. One of mine has like 700+ reposts and it makes me happy every time it gets linked back to my flickr.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

HeyEng posted:

I am going to punch my friend in the face for lying to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

BobTheCow posted:

He just keeps getting back into the frame. What a dick.