Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I'm holding myself hostage until Tim Schafer lets me direct the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

RightClickSaveAs posted:

quote:

I reach for my revolver

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Double Fine Kickstarter Project - I reach for my revolver

make it happen, tia

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The Doublefine Adventure theme song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8piMHsOya4

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

AxeManiac posted:

"I reach for my revolver" is going to be my go to response for things I don't in games from now on.

Congrats, you are now Goebbels and/or Mission of Burma.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
Not the Double Fine Adventure Game but pretty cool sounding none-the-less http://kotaku.com/5912907/ron-gilberts-new-game-mixes-maniac-mansion-with-a-little-metroidvania

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Does he really think 'cloud' is just a buzz-word?

I mean, cloud does actually work and is an actual thing these days.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

They put up another of the Sidequest videos, this one's all about Tim Schafer's Grim Fandango notebook, which was partially shown in the last full episode. It is completely fascinating. There was still a big paragraph blurred out in one of the shots though, which is curious. I'm guessing it's something personal he didn't want to show the world and/or he's such a nice guy he didn't want to offend anyone, freewriting seems like it would lend itself to some intense stream of consciousness profanity.

Here are couple more of my favorite quotes from the message boards, if this gets old I'll stop:

quote:

• P.S I thought the game was open source because the developing software is?

• I for one share the posters opinion, as someone who is also close-to-broke most of the time these days.. Attacking people that feel a bit ripped off by calling them some ridiculous name, or stuck on the exclusiveness, doesn’t really advance the debate.
    I feel like Double Fine changed their mind on something in a way that cost me a ton of money, so it could benefit them financially - I donated around $100, because it was a moment that had to happen for the future of the genre of games I love.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

RightClickSaveAs posted:

They put up another of the Sidequest videos, this one's all about Tim Schafer's Grim Fandango notebook, which was partially shown in the last full episode. It is completely fascinating. There was still a big paragraph blurred out in one of the shots though, which is curious. I'm guessing it's something personal he didn't want to show the world and/or he's such a nice guy he didn't want to offend anyone, freewriting seems like it would lend itself to some intense stream of consciousness profanity.

Here are couple more of my favorite quotes from the message boards, if this gets old I'll stop:

Never stop. I'll never get sick of the people whining about the slacker backer thing. :qq:MY SPECIAL CLUB:qq:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

More from the "some dude on the internet tells Tim Schafer how to write better" files

quote:

tim seems like he is aiming for a boy and girl story. for those of us that have been in first love. yes its an amazing tale of coming of age and finding your first true love. its a pure strong simplistic feeling.

but sadly . . .

this is a tried a true repetitive tale. done in so many storys. (west side,ico,romeo and juliet,)
Ah yes all the old classics from Shakespeare and Sony. Time to pack it up Tim Schafer, it's already been done...

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Time to pack it up Tim Schafer, it's already been done...

Wrap it up, Schafailure!

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
God loving drat it, I didn't know this game was going to be about love! I feel so ripped off now! gently caress!

vvvv - Yeah, just joking about the reactions from the others

null_user01013 fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 10, 2012

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

AxeManiac posted:

God loving drat it, I didn't know this game was going to be about love! I feel so ripped off now! gently caress!

If I recall it's not even about love. It just has a boy protagonist and a girl protagonist growing up in separate worlds.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Al! posted:

If I recall it's not even about love. It just has a boy protagonist and a girl protagonist growing up in separate worlds.

My mind races with possibilities for ways it can be a game that hasn't been done before. In a lot of ways a perfect scenario for a point & click adventure game.

These people suffer from serious short-sightedness and entitlement issues.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I too am not really thrilled about what I have heard about the story so far. But it's far too early to be pissed of yet.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

AxeManiac posted:

vvvv - Yeah, just joking about the reactions from the others
I pawned my shoes to donate to this project, and I get this tired old bullshit? What's he gonna do next, add some kind of totally played out protagonist/antagonist dynamic?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I pawned my shoes to donate to this project, and I get this tired old bullshit? What's he gonna do next, add some kind of totally played out protagonist/antagonist dynamic?

If you want some examples of a truly original plot, Tim, check out my story at sonicfanfiction.net/a_tail_of_two_sonics.txt

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Al! posted:

If you want some examples of a truly original plot, Tim, check out my story at sonicfanfiction.net/a_tail_of_two_sonics.txt

I was genuinely disappointed that link didn't work.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Dear Double Fine, do you feel you will be able to achieve animation as expressive as this fan made My Little Pony cartoon? I've also made a separate thread where we can discuss this in more detail...

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

So there's still not a lot to talk about yet, but from one of the documentary episodes it looks like they're shooting for November (edit: for pre-alpha, I did not read the notes). I hope this isn't considered as giving away too much, besides, I don't see them making that soon of a release date anyway, with the scale of the project.

Fintilgin posted:

Dear Double Fine, do you feel you will be able to achieve animation as expressive as this fan made My Little Pony cartoon? I've also made a separate thread where we can discuss this in more detail...
I wish this was more of an exaggeration. The lead programmer posted an animation thread with a quick example of what the character animation is going to look like and already this prompted a several page thread with people crying about how much they hate the style.

It seems like most of the real crazies got it out of their system early after the backers forums opened up. Someone resurrected a real gem of a thread I'd missed from early on though called "Good female characters" :allears:

quote:

• Um, I’m gonna get Freudian and Jungian here. As main characters, people seem to like female characters which resemble the “hero from the wilderness” archetype undergoing an archetypal feminine struggle often dealing with sexuality ultimately leading to battle with the “%#$@&! of Babylon” or “dark queen” archetype. Look at Alien, Metroid, and Portal. The aliens are basically rape monsters, with phallic bodies and mouths with which impregnate their victims. The Metroids are basically vagina’s with fangs, representing the fear of a burgeoning sexuality. Ridley represents stealing Samus’s innocence, as he killed her parents. Kraid represents the advances of male sexuality, what with his body shooting out giant pointy phallic symbols. In Portal the portals look suspiciously like vaginas, vagina’s that lead to new opportunities, detailing the power of a woman’s sexuality. In Aliens, the “%#$@&! of Babylon/dark queen” archetype is the alien hive Queen. In Metroid it’s Mother Brain. In Portal it’s GLaDOS. All female villains for female heroes. This archetype represents what the “hero from the wilderness” archetype could become if she chose the darker side of her own femininity, i.e. gave into hypersexuality, emasculation of men, emotional instability, lack of positive maternal instincts, finding power and fear in sex instead of love and sincerity.

• My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Yeah,I’m a brony. And if you had any sense,you would be too. The show might be targeted at young girls but it’s hitting everyone. Characters are fun and interesting. Stories,while fairly predictable,are well told and entertaining. And honestly,if you can’t find room in your heart for a cross-eyed pegasus,then you’re just not living right. Basically,this is how female characters should be. They take chances,they get hurt,they go out and LIVE and actually follow their desires,no matter how big or small they are. And in the end,they’re all flawed and imperfect,which makes it believable that they need to learn the life lessons they do. Even if said lessons don’t always take by the next episode.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 14, 2012

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The doublefine backer forums are unique in that they seem like literally the worst forum on the internet. Everything other than the developer posts is just absolutely terrible.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Double Fine Kickstarter Project - Yeah,I’m a brony. And if you had any sense,you would be too.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

RightClickSaveAs posted:

So there's still not a lot to talk about yet, but from one of the documentary episodes it looks like they're shooting for November. I hope this isn't considered as giving away too much, besides, I don't see them making that soon of a release date anyway, with the scale of the project.

You must have completely misunderstood. November is their date for first playable alpha.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I'm actually worried the backers forum may actually influence the work in the end. It's especially problematic when the artist posts a piece and they claim not to like it in large number. If someone starts thinking those people are the average user and should be catered to, the only thing this will lead to is a terrible game.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You must have completely misunderstood. November is their date for first playable alpha.

Yeah, I thought they were aiming for late summer / early fall 2013? ~18 months.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I completely did, sorry. I should have read the episode notes: "03:06 - The five months of production Tim and Greg are talking about only represent the pre-alpha phase."

I know very little about game development, but even that seems like a tight schedule considering they just started putting the team together last month-ish.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

I'm actually worried the backers forum may actually influence the work in the end. It's especially problematic when the artist posts a piece and they claim not to like it in large number. If someone starts thinking those people are the average user and should be catered to, the only thing this will lead to is a terrible game.

The guys at DF are smart, smarter than most of us. If we can see it there's no way in hell they also can't tell that the people on their forums are cretins more useful to laugh at than to listen to.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Saoshyant posted:

OK, imagine Tim Schafer reading those quotes. How do you think he'd react? Do you think he or anyone he'd professionally associate with would take them seriously?

Actually I would now like the documentaries to feature Tim reading the worst forum posts out loud and then making fun of them. Not that he could do that to the backers but it would be awesome.

So did anyone else get some swag in the mail? I got my poster and t-shirt! They're pretty nice although I hate getting gaming posters since I never have anywhere to put them. The t-shirt is mega comfy and I will totally wear it to PAX and be really cool. :coal:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Al! posted:

The guys at DF are smart, smarter than most of us. If we can see it there's no way in hell they also can't tell that the people on their forums are cretins more useful to laugh at than to listen to.
I do feel bad for Chris, who is their community relations manager, part of his job it is to wrangle all these nutjobs on the forums. Like a few weeks ago some dude posted a thread about an artist (who's totally not him of course!) and how they should hire this random online stranger to work on the game, and Chris responded with a brief "We're currently not hiring any artists" to which the guy got pissy, but rather than just banning him outright and calling him a moron, he had to pretend his input was valuable and would be taken into consideration.

But then I remember he gets to work at an awesome place like DoubleFine and figure that must balance it out. That and they probably do get together and laugh at the idiocy on a regular basis.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 14, 2012

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Giggily posted:

The doublefine backer forums are unique in that they seem like literally the worst forum on the internet. Everything other than the developer posts is just absolutely terrible.

That isn't unique, everything is poo poo, cling on to whatever you can that doesn't make your brain hurt when it comes to the internet and people in general.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

HondaCivet posted:

So did anyone else get some swag in the mail? I got my poster and t-shirt!

What? No :smith: Maybe they'll be shipping international orders with the boxed game and everything rather than in parts.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:
:911: here and no word on poster/shirt. According to update 10, they're going to be shipping over the course of several weeks. Expect an email from Fangamer when it ships. They've got just over twelve thousand orders to ship so it might take a bit. Here they are recieving poster tubes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q34VEkoggSI

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I got my mail last week, but I'm in Europe so I don't expect it to arrive for a while.

Uselessness
Mar 29, 2005

This really pisses me
off to no end
Slippery Tilde
I got mine a couple of weeks ago - in the UK. My surname starts with 'A', so perhaps they're just going alphabetically.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm in the Bay Area and got my poster, t-shirt, and misc other stuff, so have hope!

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008
and if you didn't know.... NOW YOU KNOW - Christian Cage
I remember putting down my $15 bucks and totally forgetting all about this game until the other day when I heard Tim Schafer do an interview on an Australian radio station.

After checking out the current 3 episodes and all the side quests I'm disappointed I waited so long they are absolutely excellent. I even got to see one of my school friends randomly appear in episode 1 with a clip from an article he did about Tim Schafer. Can't wait for the next update!

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Hate dealing with the Double Fine forums but love reading all the updates? The guys at DF have released an RSS feed so you can ignore it when there isn't an update.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Oh thank god

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Wow that's nice, there is now zero reason to have to go to the forums! :toot:

Unless of course you want to check out one of the best little gems of a thread I quoted from earlier called "Good female characters in games":http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/6149/P250/

It's since then gone completely off the deep end, I'm never reading all the walls of words that were posted in it but I'll just say that the discussion seems to involve eugenics at one point. I'll let the rest be a nice surprise for you to discover on your own!

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
The new documentary episode is up, and it's probably the most interesting one yet. It's quite an in-depth look at the game's concept artists. They're all genuine lunatics, which gives me high hopes for this game indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The Grumbles posted:

The new documentary episode is up, and it's probably the most interesting one yet. It's quite an in-depth look at the game's concept artists. They're all genuine lunatics, which gives me high hopes for this game indeed.

That seriously has to be one of the coolest work environments I've ever seen. They get to fly in to draw cool poo poo with other artists and just works from their farm cabin or whatever on their own time?

Best episode so far by far, although I kinda felt like Tim was hovering a lot during the process. Maybe he just doesn't get to be very involved any more, with most of his responsibilities on management?

• Locked thread