Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

-Blackadder- posted:

Ah! Thanks!

Ok another question. I just finished (spoilered just in case) the No Honor Among Thieves quest and got Maul's Badge of Amity, signifying we're friends. Dunno what good it's for, though. He still refuses to give me the grimioire from the Troublesome Tome quest. He says I should just fight him for it. Is that the only way? I figured after I did the other quest he'd be more inclined to help me out.

Also is there any place to rest in the Thieves camp (Ruins of Aernst Castle)?
Put your sword into him. that's how bandits handle conflicts like this, his underlings will understand.

And no, I don't think there's a place to rest there. There's an army fort up the path to the northwest though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apocrypha
Mar 1, 2009

-Blackadder- posted:

Ok another question. I just finished (spoilered just in case) the No Honor Among Thieves quest and got Maul's Badge of Amity, signifying we're friends. Dunno what good it's for, though. He still refuses to give me the grimioire from the Troublesome Tome quest. He says I should just fight him for it. Is that the only way? I figured after I did the other quest he'd be more inclined to help me out.

A Troublesome Tome: If you climb the tower that's behind the camp all the way to the very top, you'll find a chest with the grimoire inside and you won't have to fight the bandits for it.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Are there actual travelling merchants? How do you tell them apart from other travelers? My pawns and loading screen advice constantly bring them up but I've never talked to one. :(

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

So I've been using pawns from the google doc and I just have one question. How do I make my pawn as big of a klepto as you made Ignis? Every time I look she's grabbing something I didn't even notice!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Emong posted:

The Iron Hammer, or something like that, is just what the group of thieves calls themselves.
Where can I find a hammer in this game, anyway? I wanted one for my dwarven pawn since there seem to not be any axes. :(

Count Uvula posted:

Are there actual travelling merchants? How do you tell them apart from other travelers? My pawns and loading screen advice constantly bring them up but I've never talked to one. :(
Yeah, they don't carry weapons.

Mage_Boy posted:

So I've been using pawns from the google doc and I just have one question. How do I make my pawn as big of a klepto as you made Ignis? Every time I look she's grabbing something I didn't even notice!
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/626514-dragons-dogma/62862300 (you want the "A" row)

Also, :argh: that somebody beat me to my idea to make Ignus as a pawn. :supaburn:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 24, 2012

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Man, I know warriors only get 3 skills, but they really drive the pain train.

Love the aoe swinging light attacks, and that move where you chuck monsters into the air. It's insane on the giant saurian in the well.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Put your sword into him. that's how bandits handle conflicts like this, his underlings will understand.

And no, I don't think there's a place to rest there. There's an army fort up the path to the northwest though.

apocrypha posted:

A Troublesome Tome: If you climb the tower that's behind the camp all the way to the very top, you'll find a chest with the grimoire inside and you won't have to fight the bandits for it.

Ah, awesome, thanks, guys.

I'm realizing I probably should've picked up all those quests off the boards as soon as I hit Grand Soren. I didn't because I was worried about them expiring but now I'm having to do a bit of backtracking to old areas to complete them.

EDIT: Also, regarding the talk about hired pawns taking your stuff with them when they leave, the messages in game keep saying that whenever a pawn dies or is dismissed whatever is on them that isn't their gear goes directly to my storage. Is that not happening or something? I have yet to test it out.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 24, 2012

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
There is another way to get the book in that quest too: Just give the bandit leader some gifts with the "present" option. Remember how it says in the description of skulls that they are "favored by bandits"? Give him 4 or so of those and he'll just give you the book for free.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Tyskil posted:

There is another way to get the book in that quest too: Just give the bandit leader some gifts with the "present" option. Remember how it says in the description of skulls that they are "favored by bandits"? Give him 4 or so of those and he'll just give you the book for free.

He actually talked to you in that kind of capacity? Every time I talked to him he just told me "hey fight me for it rear end in a top hat" and no opportunity to give a gift. So I just found the book, took it, went downstairs and murdered everyone in like 5 minutes

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I don't much care for your negative attitude, mister.
Anybody ever see a "Necrophagous Loin" drop? I need five of them to upgrade my fire daggers.

Also are "Yellow poison sac" items from sulfur saurians?

I'm not sure there is any reason to play anything but strider in this game, they get the most balanced stat gain of any class, a move that can knockdown multiple enemies instantly and pull them to you, a move that lets them STEAL ITEMS from foes, plus they can use daggers and thus the core skill doublejump. Striders have it pretty good.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Just got this, was it a mistake to start as a mage? It seems kind of bland, and during on of the monster fights at the beginning my pawn kept screaming for me to jump on the head which wouldn't have worked really good.. thinking of rerolling a strider dude for climby-stabby goodness

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

-Blackadder- posted:

Ah! Thanks!

Also is there any place to rest in the Thieves camp (Ruins of Aernst Castle)?

ughhh I was gonna wonder if there were some quests related to that one.

I just wound up killing Maul and his bandits because I didn't know what to do. Did I miss a whole ton of quests? Did I screw everything up? :ohdear:

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Zombie Defiler posted:

Anybody ever see a "Necrophagous Loin" drop? I need five of them to upgrade my fire daggers.

I'm not sure there is any reason to play anything but strider in this game, they get the most balanced stat gain of any class, a move that can knockdown multiple enemies instantly and pull them to you, a move that lets them STEAL ITEMS from foes, plus they can use daggers and thus the core skill doublejump. Striders have it pretty good.

Well... given the name, it sounds like a Necrophagous Loin might come from undead?

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
For the quest "A Lost Cause": Does anyone know the precise location of the snakeskin purse? I've been up and down both shores of the river north of Gran Soren, from the Nameless Falls to the mouth of the river infested with Saurians. No purse so far. Help!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Zombie Defiler posted:

Yellow poison sacs are from striped/sulphur saurians (Not sure which they are actually called, pawns have called them both but they drop striped saurian skins). The ones that can go all Predator on you with their chameleon skin and have yellow/orange-and-black stripes like a gila monster or something.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Arthil posted:

Well... given the name, it sounds like a Necrophagous Loin might come from undead?
Undead which consume corpses, to be specific.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

coyo7e posted:

Undead which consume corpses, to be specific.

To be more specific, the undead that explode when fire is used.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
It seems to have stopped giving me the full report when I go to an inn, now? Whereas previously it would list all the people that hired my pawn and tell me its current rating and all the additional knowledge gained, the last three times it just told me I was being gifted rocks.

Last I checked my pawn was 5 stars in everything though. :) Must be that new sky blue anime hair.

I'd wandered around Gran Soren like five complete times and only in the last hour did I find Madeline's shop and the Black Cat. I swear those doors wouldn't open before. I'm probably missing much more.

Started as a strider, switched to assassin and found all its augments pretty lame, so went back to a strider. Made liberal use of the ensnare ability which is pretty funny with this big fighter dude I hired. I'd ensnare a bandit, he comes up and does a giant stab through it on the ground, rinse and repeat. Now I switched to a warrior just to try to get some augments to boost my survivability - there's a level 1 one that does just that.

Probably gonna switch my ranger pawn to something else just to mix up the augments a bit, too - perhaps a fighter. Important thing will be not resting at an inn when it still has only a few skills so as not to ruin my rating.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
double post what the

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So is there any benefit of leveling other vocations besides the one I want to play as?

Like do I get carryover stuff from Fighter if I have certain level in it over just playing a Mystic Knight?

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
So, rerolled my Warrior and now I'm just pushing poo poo in where I used to be an ineffectual loser, it's nice how much of a difference knowing how to play the game makes in the early days.

Got revenge on the loving Doom Bandits on the way to Witchwood though :black101:

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Count Bleck posted:

So is there any benefit of leveling other vocations besides the one I want to play as?

Like do I get carryover stuff from Fighter if I have certain level in it over just playing a Mystic Knight?

The main reason for this is to obtain augments. I leveled a few times as a Fighter just to get the health extension augment for instance.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Do quests come back if you cancel them, and if so how long until they do?

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Just had a new best game moment. On the fight against the 2 cyclops in the open grassy area(the one used in a lot of the previews), I jumped from the back of one cyclops as it was falling onto the face of the other one in one smooth motion, and immediately started bashing it in the face with my mace :cool:

Also is there anyway to replace lost quest items? Specifically the alehouse quest in regards to the ledger you need to find. I found it a long time ago and I assume I must have sold it or something, and it does not respawn in fournivals house.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Evil Canadian posted:

Also is there anyway to replace lost quest items? Specifically the alehouse quest in regards to the ledger you need to find. I found it a long time ago and I assume I must have sold it or something, and it does not respawn in fournivals house.

The pawns love to say that "lost" stuff sometimes turns up at The Black Cat, that place in Gran Soren with the forgery maker?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Hatter106 posted:

For the quest "A Lost Cause": Does anyone know the precise location of the snakeskin purse? I've been up and down both shores of the river north of Gran Soren, from the Nameless Falls to the mouth of the river infested with Saurians. No purse so far. Help!

Wondering about this quest too, as well as "Thanks Mislaid". I gave up looking for those two hours ago but would be nice to wrap them up.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Policenaut posted:

The pawns love to say that "lost" stuff sometimes turns up at The Black Cat, that place in Gran Soren with the forgery maker?

Yeah I noticed that and tried there several times, but no dice.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
I think I am going to switch to Strider after I max Mystic Knight. I keep finding all kinds of cool looking Strider armor and masks. Meanwhile my MK looks like some kind of hobo wearing rags with a hood that looks like a paper bag over his head. Fully upgraded, it is comparable to the base versions of the Berserk sets, but just looks ridiculous.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Ending Question: SPOILERY AS HELL What the gently caress do i do when i become seneschal? keep sitting on my chair and poo poo?

Edit: figured it out, now i want to know how to get new game+, anyone know what i should do? Load Game or New Game?

Fizzil fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 24, 2012

Myriad
Apr 26, 2010
I love this theme song for some stupid reason

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
So I'm going to go get Golden Stilletos for killing 10 harpies. Are they as good as they sound?

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
I think they're worse than regular stilettos, but maybe they're better if you enhance them? In any event, they sell for a lot I believe.

ThreeLeggedHyena
Jan 27, 2009
Ugh, I'm finding it a little difficult to make myself use better looking gear after upgrading to 3*.
So much of the early stuff just looks like you've been rummaging through some Viking's trash, but drat if it doesn't have better stats.

The Berserk armour seems decent looking at least, but it's a bit pricey still. I suppose I need to just do more sidequests/quests instead of wandering the countryside smashing Golems and Cyclops at random.

It'd be nice if you could forge equipment from materials somewhere instead of only upgrading.

Also, I have an absolute ton of Magic Medals from the Golems - anyone know what they upgrade?

Isko
May 20, 2008
So does the rift store restock? I used the Metamorphosis item but now I want to do it again and there was only only one. Does it restock along with everything else at certain points?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Isko posted:

So does the rift store restock? I used the Metamorphosis item but now I want to do it again and there was only only one. Does it restock along with everything else at certain points?
I think there is only one available at all ever.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Myriad posted:

I love this theme song for some stupid reason

THE WIND KEEPS PUSHING MEEEE

I wish I could play it during adventuring

Isko
May 20, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think there is only one available at all ever.

I really hope this isn't true. What are you basing this off of?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Isko posted:

I really hope this isn't true. What are you basing this off of?
Someone earlier in the thread, I've been looking for confirmation but unsuccessfully so far.

edit: I'm in the same boat, but since I had heard a rumor that it was a once only thing, I thought very carefully about my changes.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 25, 2012

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Meanwhile in nonamerica: The game shipment for this particular area got lost in the ether and no store is carrying this AT ALL. Super bummed out :saddowns:

Guess I'll have to gently caress with the demo a bit more. Anyone got any idea what's the absolute shortest/tallest you can make a character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

Policenaut posted:

He actually talked to you in that kind of capacity? Every time I talked to him he just told me "hey fight me for it rear end in a top hat" and no opportunity to give a gift. So I just found the book, took it, went downstairs and murdered everyone in like 5 minutes

When you talk to someone, instead of hitting (on the PS3) "X" to cycle to their next lines of dialogue, hit Square instead. It should be listed on the little controls panel in the bottom right as "present." It opens up a menu with all your gift able items.

• Locked thread