Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Vagabundo posted:

4 new banners for The Dark Knight Rises.

Those are all so terrible -- wow the people they hired for this have really dropped the ball with all this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Look at all those bullets flying out of the motorcycle in the second one, oh god :haw:

This is really bothering me. Those people look flat and extremely pasted-on.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

Those are all so terrible -- wow the people they hired for this have really dropped the ball with all this.

It's the last film in a trilogy that's earned millions if not billions of dollars at this point. It's already got word of mouth and people waiting for this so it's not like they need to spend a whole lot of money on marketing for it.

Suzuki Method posted:

Look at all those bullets flying out of the motorcycle in the second one, oh god :haw:

I swear that's the "leaked" still of Anne Hathaway that got passed around months ago.

Suzuki Method posted:

Yeah, all the background people look pasted in. Take a look at the Bane on the Tumbler banner. That field of depth effect they tried to go with looks completely fake.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 25, 2012

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Maybe they were going for the "2d crowd from a wrestling video game" vibe. In which case, they did a fantastic job.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
It seems WB doesn't really care about Rises as they know there's enough anticipation and hype behind it that you almost don't need advertising - just pop out some posters to remind people it's coming soon.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Suzuki Method posted:

Yeah, what the hell? They look like clip art people with a film grain filter. :raise:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Young Freud posted:

I swear that's the "leaked" still of Anne Hathaway that got passed around months ago.

It is, except they blurred the tire and added blurs around her.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Young Freud posted:

It's the last film in a trilogy that's earned millions if not billions of dollars at this point. It's already got word of mouth and people waiting for this so it's not like they need to spend a whole lot of money on marketing for it.

I know, just seems lazy for something that had top notch posters, ah well. This guy seems happy (in response to the FB page posting the Catwoman poster with no eyes).

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I can't isolate what about the Catwoman costume is so terrible. I think its the goggles or maybe its just than Anne Hathaway is behind them. This marketing is giving me a terrible feeling that DKR is going to be real bad and that would pretty much ruin my summer.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

1stGear posted:

I can't isolate what about the Catwoman costume is so terrible. I think its the goggles or maybe its just than Anne Hathaway is behind them. This marketing is giving me a terrible feeling that DKR is going to be real bad and that would pretty much ruin my summer.

The key is to only let it ruin three hours of your summer.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I have felt ever since the Steelers were reported to be in this that it would be loving terrible (never put a football team in your movie) and I think Anne Hathaway looks ridiculous and ooo she's so scary as Catwoman except for the part where I feel like I could just push her over and that would be that. Plus it is the third film in a comic book trilogy and that doesn't bode well historically.

So to sum up I am absolutely positive this film will suck balls, except for all the chatter I keep hearing that it is absolutely awesome and that Anne Hathaway kills it.

So here's hoping they're right.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

I know, just seems lazy for something that had top notch posters, ah well.

Oh, I get you. I was playing Devil's Advocate more than anything else.

Stuff like that makes me wish there was some industry award for movie posters and other film marketing, just so it can raise the bar and have some folks take more pride in their work. Not so much like the Oscars, but more like the Clio.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

kiimo posted:

So to sum up I am absolutely positive this film will suck balls, except for all the chatter I keep hearing that it is absolutely awesome and that Anne Hathaway kills it.

Yeah i mean it's not as if Nolan has a history of lifting hollywood pretty-boy actors up from a pit of teenage romcoms and helping them wrench out an oscar-worthy performances that are esteemed as the definitive on-screen role of a comic book characohwait

e: But for reals, Nolan has rarely taken a bad step in his entire career. I have nothing but faith that the film will kick seven types of arse.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Glad im not the only one not looking forward to Hathaway in this... I think it may just be the addition of Catwoman period though. Hope im wrong and this at least half as amazing as Dark Knight was

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I have to admit, nearly every piece of promotional material for The Dark Knight Rises makes the movie look like a ridiculous pile of poo poo.

G-III fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 25, 2012

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
People making GBS threads on the Dark Knight Rises will never cease to amuse me. Nolan Backlash at it's dumbest.

The only mis-step I've seen so far was that awful poster with him pasted in front of the teaser poster. The trailers were good, the other posters were good, I LOVED the prologue they showed on IMAX, and everything I see gets me more excited.

Yeti Yeti Yeti
Mar 27, 2010

1stGear posted:

I can't isolate what about the Catwoman costume is so terrible.

I can. It's the thigh high boots with stiletto heels. :gonk:

I don't mind Anne Hathaway though.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

People making GBS threads on the Dark Knight Rises will never cease to amuse me. Nolan Backlash at it's dumbest.

The only mis-step I've seen so far was that awful poster with him pasted in front of the teaser poster. The trailers were good, the other posters were good, I LOVED the prologue they showed on IMAX, and everything I see gets me more excited.

People have different opinions though! I think the prologue was good and the posters are fine. But, for me, the trailers are underwhelming at best and catwoman's outfit does look kind of silly in the context it's been shown so far.

It's certainly a little early to be concluding that it's great/terrible though.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 25, 2012

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Don't care what you guys think, Dark Knight is going to be amazing...

...This on the other hand.

Is it about a headless Janet Jackson who is given a new one by magic gropehands? :iiam:

Spermanent Record fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 25, 2012

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Jaws really set the template for any horror movie featuring a 'Threat from below'.

:wtc:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Graboids gonna getcha.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

That's not even what they look like, how the hell did that happen?

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

This is amazing. Would a whale ever swim like that? It's like the whale is being pulled down by its tail.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I do think rises won't be as good as "dark knight" but I still think it is going to be a good movie.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

frozenpeas posted:

Don't care what you guys think, Dark Knight is going to be amazing...

...This on the other hand.

Is it about a headless Janet Jackson who is given a new one by magic gropehands? :iiam:

Haha thread stings again. We just finished this yesterday. This is the second-to-last hurrah of the producer's contract with our studio. You can make your own determination what that means.

edit: for what it's worth my suggestions that they eliminate the lines on the hand in the bottom left that fade out into nothingness and fix the inexplicably different colors of her arms went largely ignored.

Also...

frozenpeas posted:

on the other hand.

;)

kiimo fucked around with this message at 07:58 on May 25, 2012

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I'm just sad that Moby Dick 2010 isn't about a killer future cyborg whale.

2010 still sounds futuristic to me, dammit.

Also, this rules:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Also, this rules:

It's really weird that he's the "original" yet he has freakin' guns, when his 'imitation' is still stuck with a scimitar.

If that picture is representative of the movie, it might be better as a video game. Something like Far Cry or Uncharted but with giant monsters.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 09:22 on May 25, 2012

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Also, this rules:

I love a good Zadventure!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

kiimo posted:

Haha thread stings again. We just finished this yesterday. This is the second-to-last hurrah of the producer's contract with our studio. You can make your own determination what that means.

edit: for what it's worth my suggestions that they eliminate the lines on the hand in the bottom left that fade out into nothingness and fix the inexplicably different colors of her arms went largely ignored.

I don't know. I feel genuine unease looking at that poster, and I mean that in a good way. It's pretty effective in communicating that it's a horror movie.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Suzuki Method posted:

Something about Batman's profile in that last one looks really doofy. :downs:

I've never liked the tight neckpiece on his cowl. Makes him look like he's got a lollipop head. Something about the mouth opening on the cowl bugs me as well. It's too narrow and and fits too snug so it presses in under his nose and makes him look like a person wearing a scuba mask.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I've always really liked the posters that Almadovar got for his movies. They usually do a good job harkening back to the old hollywood genre used in the films while also being modern. I'm not sure if he kept the same graphic designers on his staff to produce these all along or is just very exacting of what he wants but there's clearly a unifying artistic direction in his posters.

Edit: It looks like a lot of these were designed by Juan Gatti

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 10:02 on May 25, 2012

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Another DKR banner:

I like that one. :shobon:

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Kurtofan posted:

Another DKR banner:

That's a cool concept. I mean, it's a little pasted together, but I like that they give him the iconic cape over the shoulder look. He's never sported that in the Nolan films really.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Kurtofan posted:

Another DKR banner:

It's a little "Jack Black's head in Gulliver's Travels" in that the head seems to pop a bit too much against the foreground/background, but the concept is solid, and at first and third glance it's not that bad!
This is actually the most batmanlike batman's looked in any of these promotional posters.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

This one is miles better than the banners on the last page. Still looks kind of shoddy, but there's nothing extremely glaring.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

Another DKR banner:

I like the concept there but the execution makes it look like a video game.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Two posters that make me angry:

Fuckin' Dreamworks. You do one great movie and just go back to doing garbage with wacky faces. You truly are the bizarro Pixar.

COMING! Hey! Get it? Get it?! The only appropriate reaction to this second one is the world's most forced and annoying laugh.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Very reminiscent of "Great things come in bears".

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Also, this rules:

There must be some sort of trope for this:
If (A) gun is being held in hand, then (B) gun must be firing.
Edit: Chekhov's Muzzle Flash.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

But what happens once you believe you die?