Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Lollybean posted:

From the Asus site:

Dock only:
Dimensions: 263 x 180.8 x 8~10.4mm
Weight: 546g
Pad with dock:
Dimensions: 263 x 180.8 x 17~19.4mm
Weight: 1181g
What's up with a 2.4mm range in thickness? Is that the manufacturing tolerance/variation?

Edit: \/\/\/ that makes sense, thanks.

randyest fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

It's slanted.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

I've been trying to get my hands on a TF101 for a while now and all the positive stuff (aside from the random rebooting issue) I've read in this thread is making me more excited.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Sharkelberry posted:

I've been trying to get my hands on a TF101 for a while now and all the positive stuff (aside from the random rebooting issue) I've read in this thread is making me more excited.

Unless you're getting a killer deal, go with the 32 gig TF-300 for 400 bucks. I'm sure the 16gig version will drop to 350 from 380 quickly, so unless you're getting the tf101 for 200 bucks opt for the 300 instead. It's the updated 101 in every possible way.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

zer0spunk posted:

Unless you're getting a killer deal, go with the 32 gig TF-300 for 400 bucks. I'm sure the 16gig version will drop to 350 from 380 quickly, so unless you're getting the tf101 for 200 bucks opt for the 300 instead. It's the updated 101 in every possible way.

Besides being faster, what are the big advantages of the TF-300? You can get refurb TF-101s for $250 with a 1 year warranty, and you can get them for under $200 easily in good condition.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Radbot posted:

Besides being faster, what are the big advantages of the TF-300? You can get refurb TF-101s for $250 with a 1 year warranty, and you can get them for under $200 easily in good condition.

Well, I mean, internally and externally it's improved.

Externally 101 vs 300

271 x 176.8 x 12.98 mm
Weight 680 g

263 × 180.8 × 9.9mm
Weight 635 g

Internally it's tegra 2 vs tegra 3 which is a major major improvement..Tegra 2 has no NEON support in the soc so good luck playing anything but specific encoding in terms of video support.

Then there's higher rated battery life, newer version of bluetooth, much higher quality camera and sensor, and the better choice of materials and build quality over the tf101.

The 300 is the replacement for the 101.

You also can't forget the 16 gig 300 is also expandable with a microsd. Once it sells poorly at 380, considering you can get the 32 gig variant for 30 bucks more, it should come down in price. If it hits 300-350 then you're getting a ridiculous value for the hardware you're getting.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 24, 2012

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

Thanks for this info. Actually I would be getting a TF101 for about 250. I'm going to look into the TF300 a bit and see what it's all about. I thought the TF101 also had a microSD slot? If I am mistaken, then more thanks are in order because this was one of the selling points for me.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Yes the TF101 does have a microSD slot. I have lost all rebooting issues since the lastest update by the way. I bought mine when it was on sale for $250 a month or so ago and couldn't be happier.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Honestly, I'd just wait until the TF101 comes down to $200 (which should be very soon). The TF300 is definitely nice, but it's not 50-80% nicer, *unless* you play lots of super high res video and output it over HDMI - in that case, get the TF300.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

I didn't really plan on using the mini HDMI all that much. Maybe for some gimmicky "Hey check out this stupid video on youtube" moments at a friends house or something.

I just want a nice sized tablet for emulators, web browsing, perhaps some netflix, just a time killer for trips and downtime at work basically. I like the look and size of the TF101, the price, and the specs (considering the relatively low cost). Also I have had many products from Asus in the past and they haven't done me wrong so far so I kind of trust them a bit more than some of the other companies making tablets at the moment.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Sharkelberry posted:

Also I have had many products from Asus in the past and they haven't done me wrong so far so I kind of trust them a bit more than some of the other companies making tablets at the moment.

Boy you're in for a treat then!

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I also ordered the knock off Apple smart cover. It's designed for the Tf201, but the dimensions are basically the same on the TF300, and the connectors are the same, so it should fit. I'll come back with a trip report and I'll have some comical accounts of my friends making fun of my fake iPad.

This is a ways back, but what smart cover is this that you're talking about? I want one for my 300.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

More importantly: has Jerk McJerkface returned the TF300 yet?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

More importantly: has Jerk McJerkface returned the TF300 yet?

Absolutely. I now have a Samsung galaxy tab 2 7.0 that I'm playing around with. I like the seven inch screen. It fits nicely in the pocket of my jacket or pants. I have a mile and a half walk each day to the train that I take to work, and I wear a suit two or three days a week so having my tablet fit in my pocket so I don't have to carry a bag is nice. I'm returning that this weekend though. I'm going to wait for the Galaxy Note 10.1 next. Since, you know, it has a stylus.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Absolutely. I now have a Samsung galaxy tab 2 7.0 that I'm playing around with.
AHAHAHAHAHAHA

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

a shameful boehner posted:

This is a ways back, but what smart cover is this that you're talking about? I want one for my 300.

Posting from my phone at the moment so I can't dig up a link but look at amazon for tf201 origami case. The best price I found was from the B and H website. It didn't fit the tf300 well enough to use all the time. However if it fits the tf201 perfectly then Id say its a good enough case to use. Especially if you keep the tablet in a cheap nylon sleeve or something.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Samsung galaxy tab 2 7.0

I hope whoever named this gets kicked in the teeth. I can't not read this as Tab 2.7.0. It's bad form to have two numbers in your product name like that, even if the 7.0 technically is supposed to be in parentheses because nobody writes it that way.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached
Think you missed the best part:

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'm returning that this weekend though. I'm going to wait for the Galaxy Note 10.1 next. Since, you know, it has a stylus.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Absolutely. I now have a Samsung galaxy tab 2 7.0 that I'm playing around with. I like the seven inch screen. It fits nicely in the pocket of my jacket or pants. I have a mile and a half walk each day to the train that I take to work, and I wear a suit two or three days a week so having my tablet fit in my pocket so I don't have to carry a bag is nice. I'm returning that this weekend though. I'm going to wait for the Galaxy Note 10.1 next. Since, you know, it has a stylus.

I hope you get banned for life from every electronics retailer on the planet.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Honestly, though, I've found that I have really have no use for a tablet as a media consumption device. I have to carry a laptop for work everywhere I go anyways, and I've found that gaming on a phone or tablet (on my iPhone, iPad, Android phones and tablets) causes my CTS to get extremely painful. The only thing I really use them for is watching videos or reading. I have an hour long train ride every morning, so it's nice to have something to entertain myself with, I'd rather spend the time being productive, which I really can't do with either kind of tablet.

The only use I could find for a tablet is drawing up plans for networks or phone system typologies. I'm a network and sales engineer for a telecommunications firm, so I spend a lot of time in meetings with my client's IT personnel, and I'd like to be able to have a device hooked up to their projector during a sales meeting, pull up some Visio diagrams, modify and annotate them while collaborating with their staff. The commission I make for these jobs is definitely enough to warrant investing a decent amount of money into a solution. I had a Thinkpad X61T for a while that was useful but after five years of field work, it was so dilapidated that I couldn't take it on sales calls.

At this point, I've been waiting for Windows 8 hardware to start emerging so I can make a decision. Basically I want something like the Asus Transformer, with a keyboard dock, a desktop dock for multiple monitor support, running Windows, with an active stylus. I figure that Asus or Lenovo is going to release something like that once Win8 drops, so in the meantime I'm just messing around trying different brands and form factors.

golgo13sf posted:

I hope you get banned for life from every electronics retailer on the planet.

Tell me more about how you are concerned that my returning three tablets is hurting Amazon and Best Buy, and then how in turn that is causing you sorrow.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 25, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Radbot posted:

Honestly, I'd just wait until the TF101 comes down to $200 (which should be very soon). The TF300 is definitely nice, but it's not 50-80% nicer, *unless* you play lots of super high res video and output it over HDMI - in that case, get the TF300.

Seriously, the original Transformer at any price is just such a bad idea now. Blame tegra 2, blame Asus, blame whomever, the tablet runs like poo poo. I tried the Prime recently and its a night and day difference.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I picked up a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 from Costco after playing around with my MIL's. It will pull toddler game and car-backseat video duty. If it had a higher-res screen and vanilla ICS it would be a champion. It's OMAP is noticeably faster than my Xoom's tegra 2. I don't think it is too bad, really.

The thing that is getting me is the form factor. I am loving this 7" size compared to the Xoom. If Google can deliver at least a 1280x800 res with Tegra 3 in the Nexus Tablet with Asus, I will buy it on release.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Duckman2008 posted:

Seriously, the original Transformer at any price is just such a bad idea now. Blame tegra 2, blame Asus, blame whomever, the tablet runs like poo poo. I tried the Prime recently and its a night and day difference.

What's the trouble? I use mine at work constantly. It hasn't ruined my life yet.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kynetx posted:

What's the trouble? I use mine at work constantly. It hasn't ruined my life yet.

It lags behind other tablets, so while it could be considered relevant when it launched, spending any amount of money on one now isn't the best idea.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Personally, I would only consider the TF101 a good buy if you can get the tablet and dock for under $300, preferably $250 or less.

I would think that the TF101 would be similar to what one might expect from a 10" Kindle Fire. Only problem is, it costs way more than the KF10 is actually going to cost.

YardGlass
Jan 21, 2003

Instant asshole: Just add beer

Duckman2008 posted:

It lags behind other tablets, so while it could be considered relevant when it launched, spending any amount of money on one now isn't the best idea.

So because there are faster tablets it is now worth no money at all? At the prices it's being sold for it's an excellent tablet. For the things >90% of people want a tablet for it is an excellent tablet. How do you think that isn't worth *any* amount of money?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Rumors of the Nexus tablet shipping in June, available in July:
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20120523PD214.html

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Really wish we knew the price point. Luckily, I have 90 days to return this Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 to Costco. If it's in the $200-$300 range then I'll be all over it.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Speaking of the Galaxy Tab 2, I tried to dig deeper into my "wavy lines" issue and it looks like somebody has already performed this sort of analysis, just about two years ago for some older smartphones: http://www.neowin.net/news/robot-touchscreen-analysis-reveals-differences-between-smartphones

So it looks like this is just one common way that manufacturers cheap out on components. I wish this would become a standard element of reviews.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I was going to blow my money on the Tab 7 2.0, but now that this news came out...I think I'll wait. I've never owned a Nexus device before so that would be kind of cool and if it's the same price point or cheaper and the hardware isn't made like complete poo poo it'll be a no brainer.

Unless it's hosed like the Verizon Nexus is hosed :v:

revolther
May 27, 2008

YardGlass posted:

So because there are faster tablets it is now worth no money at all? At the prices it's being sold for it's an excellent tablet. For the things >90% of people want a tablet for it is an excellent tablet. How do you think that isn't worth *any* amount of money?
It's because this thread is nothing but trolls clamoring over the next new toy rather than find a purpose for the one in their hand. It's scoffing at the 5megapixel rear facing camera you will never use because somewhere there is an 8megapixel rear facing camera also never being used. Most of them have no needs other than Netflix and Facebook, it's just about a shiny precious to Gollum over until they notice the next guy's precious.

This thread is creeps with urinal envy; just play with your own dick and stop perpetually worrying about what the next guy is packing.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

revolther posted:

It's because this thread is nothing but trolls clamoring over the next new toy rather than find a purpose for the one in their hand. It's scoffing at the 5megapixel rear facing camera you will never use because somewhere there is an 8megapixel rear facing camera also never being used. Most of them have no needs other than Netflix and Facebook, it's just about a shiny precious to Gollum over until they notice the next guy's precious.

This thread is creeps with urinal envy; just play with your own dick and stop perpetually worrying about what the next guy is packing.

You see upset.

Also I use my phones camera a lot. I would probably use my tablets a lot also.

YardGlass
Jan 21, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

You see upset.

Also I use my phones camera a lot. I would probably use my tablets a lot also.

I agree with him / her. I would imagine only a minority of people would care about the camera on their tablet, and if there were an excellent tablet which had a rubbish (or indeed no) camera then the appropriate way to describe it would be something like "well it's an excellent tablet, but it's worth mentioning its camera is crap (or non-existent)". I feel in this thread more people would say "Its camera is last-generation and so it is now not worth any amount of money".

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

YardGlass posted:

Its not due to tablet cameras or other bullshit. Its quite simple, that tablet is slow and painful to use at times.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

And again I ask, why not have the good camera facing the user, if videochat is the future?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Cakefool posted:

And again I ask, why not have the good camera facing the user, if videochat is the future?

I would guess that as the picture quality goes up on the FFC, so does the bandwidth requirements to broadcast it. It's somewhat of a moot point since most people are using tablets on WiFi, but that's probably a reason.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cakefool posted:

Most video chat stuff has a hard time keeping up high-resolution video to be honest. Also a full 1080p frame is just slightly over 2 megapixels so it's not like going up to 5 or 8 megapixels would be of much use.

YardGlass
Jan 21, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Its not due to tablet cameras or other bullshit. Its quite simple, that tablet is slow and painful to use at times.

Doesn't seem like any of the owners of this tablet in this thread think that. I think you would find it difficult to find a sane individual that would consider it was worth zero dollars.

Anyway...

I've often wondered about the front camera being worse than the back camera. I've also wondered how much cameras and gps add to the price of a tablet as I've literally no need for them on a tablet. Mobile data seems to add a fair whack to the price (more than I would have thought) so maybe cameras and gps do too? Anyone seen any articles on this?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I think the 3G radio costing so much more is more of a 'because we can' thing than actual added costs.

As for decontented tablets you could look at the Acer A500 vs the A200 - the A200 lost the rear camera, light sensor, GPS, some internal storage and metal body of the A500 and sold for about 1/2 to 2/3rds its price (at least initially before Tegra 2 became irrelevant)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I know people might think front or rear facing cameras make no sense, and I was in that camp a couple of years ago, but now with friends around the world, Skype is such an awesome way to stay in contact, and on an iPad means its as light as possible to carry around and show stuff off.