Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
Is this huge pick business a shredding thing? Seems like it might be a shredding thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
It helps a lot with forcing your hands into being more accurate, both in terms of intonation and rhythm. As such it has a huge application in shredding, and less useful to the "strum a six string by the campfire" crowd. But really, it can be helpful to anyone, if you try it out and it feels good, regardless of genre. Like everything else with guitars, there's no pigeonhole - just use it if it makes a sound you like.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
I just ordered a couple. I'm interested to see how they hold up to my heavy handed picking style...I generally get about 20 minutes of use out of a 1.5-2mm Dunlop tortex/nylon pick (before the edges get all shredded) so hopefully these last.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

dancehall posted:

Is this huge pick business a shredding thing? Seems like it might be a shredding thing.

Not genre-bound at all, except that you'll almost never catch jazz cats playing thin picks. There's a whole style of pick basically dedicated to gypsy jazz, in fact.

Edit: Check out Dunlop copying Wegen :laugh:

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007
Aw, that's cute.

I've been enjoying this pick discussion, but I dunno; I like my Wegens a lot, and I'm having trouble imagining doing heavy rhythm or fast rest stroke stuff with these monster picks.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Just unboxed my new guitar!

Hey.... wait a minute. :crossarms:
"Some" assembly required?!

Oh well, here we go.

African Mahogany body, maple for neck and fretboard. WOO!
Maybe there'll be a thread about this as it develops.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 23, 2012

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Rotten Cookies posted:

Do it, you must. You can't just show me your wood like that.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Rotten Cookies posted:

Please do this. :)

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Yeah, what do you mean maybe? It's essential.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Yeah, what do you mean maybe? It's essential.

This, I did a few build threads here and other places and it feels good to sit down at the end of the day and type out what you did. Keeps you motivated.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Okay then, I guess I'll start a thread when I have more to show than a pile of wood blocks. I'm waiting on some other packages for now. Box from Stewmac should be here tomorrow or Friday, and I've yet to place an order from GFS.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
What's your rough plan?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Only one more to come in, not sure if it's been sent or not yet (probably).

Attack Drop got opened by customs, they mushed one of the swiss chocolates. drat, my wife likes those. It almost excuses spendy picks. ;)

First, here's how bright a HufGlow is... Vid (and pics, while I'm noting this) recorded with lovely iPhone 3GS camera, which is notoriously awful in low light conditions for anything. But drat, that's bright!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVcPeYGjKZY

And some pick pics of the nearly complete roundup of the ones I want. Left to right they go Gigantic Drop, Big Black Drop, Distressed Chocolate Drop, Attack Drop, and a softer material he was goofing around with that is used by some company as a faux tortoise shell - it's one of a kind, but it seems like it'll probably wear pretty quickly by comparison. He laminated two sheets to get it to the thickness there, which is roughly comparable to a Big Drop shape. Just a neat one-off he added in from Facebook (he does that kinda thing, check his page out for a bunch of unique picks, you might win one). Oh, and the HufGlow pointer in the middle, not glowing because it hadn't yet been exposed to bright light. It would be glowing if it had, though, missed opportunity for the photo I guess - it's really bright after a good shot of direct light, easily visible in regular indoor lighting.

Someone else ordered an Attack Drop, so I feel I should comment on it... The attack drop (gray one) is faaaast. Like, really fast. If you're only going to get one and you're going for precision and speed over anything else, that's the one to pick up. It's extremely comfortable to grip and if you can play quickly, it will facilitate the hell out of that. The other drop shapes are great too, but that one is obviously designed for speed on the strings and it delivers.

Geb
Mar 22, 2007

A Crystal Sword?! I'm all about swords! How did you know?!
Not quite so new now, but last month for my 21st birthday I got an Ibanez JTK09LTD. It plays absolutely wonderfully and has a much clearer tone with fuzz on it than my MIM Tele.

Geb fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 24, 2012

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Agreed posted:

Only one more to come in, not sure if it's been sent or not yet (probably).

Attack Drop got opened by customs, they mushed one of the swiss chocolates. drat, my wife likes those. It almost excuses spendy picks. ;)

First, here's how bright a HufGlow is... Vid (and pics, while I'm noting this) recorded with lovely iPhone 3GS camera, which is notoriously awful in low light conditions for anything. But drat, that's bright!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVcPeYGjKZY

And some pick pics of the nearly complete roundup of the ones I want. Left to right they go Gigantic Drop, Big Black Drop, Distressed Chocolate Drop, Attack Drop, and a softer material he was goofing around with that is used by some company as a faux tortoise shell - it's one of a kind, but it seems like it'll probably wear pretty quickly by comparison. He laminated two sheets to get it to the thickness there, which is roughly comparable to a Big Drop shape. Just a neat one-off he added in from Facebook (he does that kinda thing, check his page out for a bunch of unique picks, you might win one). Oh, and the HufGlow pointer in the middle, not glowing because it hadn't yet been exposed to bright light. It would be glowing if it had, though, missed opportunity for the photo I guess - it's really bright after a good shot of direct light, easily visible in regular indoor lighting.

Someone else ordered an Attack Drop, so I feel I should comment on it... The attack drop (gray one) is faaaast. Like, really fast. If you're only going to get one and you're going for precision and speed over anything else, that's the one to pick up. It's extremely comfortable to grip and if you can play quickly, it will facilitate the hell out of that. The other drop shapes are great too, but that one is obviously designed for speed on the strings and it delivers.
Sweet post bro, thanks for shariWHERE ARE THE AUDIO CLIPS

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Geb posted:

Not quite so new now, but last month for my 21st birthday I got an Ibanez JTK09LTD. It plays absolutely wonderfully and has a much clearer tone with fuzz on it than my MIM Tele.

That's quite a find. I prefer Ibanez's off kilter products to the standard shredder models. I've been wanting to get a guitar with P90's for a while now.

How dreadful!
Mar 17, 2009

Geb posted:

Whoa, do they still make this series? I regularly haunt eBay for Jet Kings.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Inspired by your posts about large picks, I ordered one of these last week. It arrived today and while I haven't had time to try it out yet, holy poo poo is it small compared to the tortex triangles I use (but thicker, of course).

And now, the test drive...

I'm curious, though, do you find yourself breaking more strings with thicker picks? I used to play with a 1.5mm pick and break roughly 1 string/month, but after I switched to 1mm picks in 2007 or so, I've broken like 2 strings altogether.

Edit: After a brief test, it certainly feels different than the 1mm tortex. The edge is a bit rough and it sort of sticks to the strings. Even without amplification it's clear the sound is different.

Frank Caskelot fucked around with this message at 12:46 on May 24, 2012

Doctor Tog
Oct 10, 2008

Well, this should be ready to get picked up in a few days:

Made by a friend of mine going to the Canadian School of Lutherie. I'm pretty excited to pick it up.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Schlieren posted:

Sweet post bro, thanks for shariWHERE ARE THE AUDIO CLIPS

Today might be the day I can record some poo poo. Maybe. Really depends on the kid, if he conks out I'm not going to risk waking him up recording :colbert:

Though I could use headphones, I guess. Just so cably and obnoxious trying to do all of that at once. First world pick problems.

Frank Caskelot posted:

Inspired by your posts about large picks, I ordered one of these last week. It arrived today and while I haven't had time to try it out yet, holy poo poo is it small compared to the tortex triangles I use (but thicker, of course).

And now, the test drive...

I'm curious, though, do you find yourself breaking more strings with thicker picks? I used to play with a 1.5mm pick and break roughly 1 string/month, but after I switched to 1mm picks in 2007 or so, I've broken like 2 strings altogether.

Edit: After a brief test, it certainly feels different than the 1mm tortex. The edge is a bit rough and it sort of sticks to the strings. Even without amplification it's clear the sound is different.

Nope, I've got some guitars with a set of strings that are coming up on the obligatory "it's been 6 months, need to change them for the sake of it now" point. I haven't broken a string on any of my guitars for years, which I attribute to making sure to use quality, well-cut nuts (heh heh) and removing any burrs on the metal of tuners, contact blocks at the bridge, and lubricating it all on the regular. I do play with a pretty precise touch, but I definitely dig in and do plenty of bending.

Edit: Oh, with the HufGlow pointer, whatever expensive-rear end material he's using to glow so bright is pretty rough once it's been done, or maybe he intends it to be that kind of unbuffed feeling, it rasps and grabs the strings much more than any of the other materials. I'd bet if you had a heavy handed playing style it might discourage string longevity. It's an interesting pick, though, glows bright as hell is one quality, plays well with certain styles (but different, haven't used another quite like it) is another.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 24, 2012

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.
Okay, I could some recommendations here.

I'm in the process of selling a few instruments to both make some room in my cramped apartment, and because I want a new guitar but don't have the disposable income right now to justify just buying one.

I've been - particularly lately - really wanting to get my hands on a Telecaster HH. At present, electric guitar-wise, I have an Epiphone Sheraton II, a Heritage 140-CM, a G&L ASAT classic and an American Strat, so I'm fairly comfortable in the single coil and humbucker realm.

But, I like the HH Teles because honestly, I prefer simplicity of the controls - I rarely run on two pickups on any guitar (except for the 1-2 position and 4-5 position on my Strat when playing 80s rock, Pink Floyd, or the occasional Pearl Jam tune). And being able to roll off the volume with just one easy-to-reach knob is appealing.

Anyone on here willing to offer opinions on this? I realize this isn't exactly a "next instrument photos" kind of post, but I could stand some suggestions, or even opinions from folks who have instruments of this kind.

And don't feel the need to restrict yourselves to Teles. Although I hate Strat HHs, I'm open minded in the world of Jazzmasters or Jaguars. I'm mostly interested in a gritty, gainy sound with a little more brittleness than the Gibson-style humbucker sound, and my understanding is that some of the HH Fender products are better at providing that.

Or am I completely off my rocker?

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Walter posted:

I'm in the process of selling a few instruments to both make some room in my cramped apartment, and because I want a new guitar but don't have the disposable income right now to justify just buying one.

I've been - particularly lately - really wanting to get my hands on a Telecaster HH. At present, electric guitar-wise, I have an Epiphone Sheraton II, a Heritage 140-CM, a G&L ASAT classic and an American Strat, so I'm fairly comfortable in the single coil and humbucker realm.

But, I like the HH Teles because honestly, I prefer simplicity of the controls - I rarely run on two pickups on any guitar (except for the 1-2 position and 4-5 position on my Strat when playing 80s rock, Pink Floyd, or the occasional Pearl Jam tune). And being able to roll off the volume with just one easy-to-reach knob is appealing.

Anyone on here willing to offer opinions on this? I realize this isn't exactly a "next instrument photos" kind of post, but I could stand some suggestions, or even opinions from folks who have instruments of this kind.

And don't feel the need to restrict yourselves to Teles. Although I hate Strat HHs, I'm open minded in the world of Jazzmasters or Jaguars. I'm mostly interested in a gritty, gainy sound with a little more brittleness than the Gibson-style humbucker sound, and my understanding is that some of the HH Fender products are better at providing that.

Or am I completely off my rocker?

Are you opposed to P-90's? What you're describing sounds like P-90's might bit the bill too. They are sort of mid heavy but they cut through mixes great. Honestly I would look at some other manufacturers, fenders are cool and all but you have to spend so much anymore to get a quality instrument anything below $800 hasthe potential to be lovely with Fender. Check out some Reverends or Eastwoods if you can. I think they both destroy Fender in the cost/performance ratio.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

HollisBrown posted:

Are you opposed to P-90's? What you're describing sounds like P-90's might bit the bill too. They are sort of mid heavy but they cut through mixes great. Honestly I would look at some other manufacturers, fenders are cool and all but you have to spend so much anymore to get a quality instrument anything below $800 hasthe potential to be lovely with Fender. Check out some Reverends or Eastwoods if you can. I think they both destroy Fender in the cost/performance ratio.

Holy poo poo, just looked at the Reverend site, and listened to some of the sound / video clips there. I like those... a lot.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Consider a Gibson Marauder. In addition to being weird and usually pretty affordable since it was slapping a Les Paul Jr. body onto an abundance of Flying V necks, it also has a stock pickup configuration that's pretty much "Gibson does the Tele thing, but Gibson style" - tele-slanted blade pickup in the bridge, humbucker in the neck, later models ('76) featured a blend pot rather than a hard selector for choosing the ratio. Tone and volume are accessible, or at least I've never found them hard to get to. Pickups were designed by Bill Lawrence and had the at the time pretty forward-thinking feature of acrylic potting rather than wax, so they've held up well (flip side: good friggin' luck working on them if they've been damaged or whatever). Stick the blade in the bridge close to the strings, keep the humbucker a bit farther, and it's a very playable and nice sounding guitar.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Doctor Tog posted:

Well, this should be ready to get picked up in a few days:

Made by a friend of mine going to the Canadian School of Lutherie. I'm pretty excited to pick it up.

That bird's eye maple neck is exquisite.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

Agreed posted:

Consider a Gibson Marauder. In addition to being weird and usually pretty affordable since it was slapping a Les Paul Jr. body onto an abundance of Flying V necks, it also has a stock pickup configuration that's pretty much "Gibson does the Tele thing, but Gibson style" - tele-slanted blade pickup in the bridge, humbucker in the neck, later models ('76) featured a blend pot rather than a hard selector for choosing the ratio. Tone and volume are accessible, or at least I've never found them hard to get to. Pickups were designed by Bill Lawrence and had the at the time pretty forward-thinking feature of acrylic potting rather than wax, so they've held up well (flip side: good friggin' luck working on them if they've been damaged or whatever). Stick the blade in the bridge close to the strings, keep the humbucker a bit farther, and it's a very playable and nice sounding guitar.

Really interesting instrument. I didn't even know about these. The sound definitely (based on clips I've found) lands somewhere near a Telecaster. Tricky to find one to try out, though. Might have to do a little looking.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Walter posted:

I had a goldtop Fender Tele HH that looked loving amazing, but just felt kind of flat. It didn't have the punch that I had come to expect from a Tele, and I felt like I was just constantly rowing through pickup positions and configurations, unable to find anything that really fit.

I would definitely recommend checking out something with P90s. They're just big fat single coils, but tend to sound a bit fuller just because they do cover more surface area on the string, and some of the boutique pickup makers are doing cool things with them. Specifically, you might want to check out the Godin LG P90. Had one for a while and really liked the way it played.

Just to put another thought in your head, though, have you ever looked at Peavey Wolfgangs? It's kind of a hodge podge of styles. The body is sort of like a Tele-shaped Les Paul, the neck is fairly narrow and round like a 90's shredder, and it's got two very lively humbucker pickups. Two knobs, one three-position switch, and usually either a Floyd Rose or hardtail bridge. The USA Standard models aren't really that cheap, but it's a whole lot of fun to throw around.

Here's mine, a 96/97 with bonus curious cat:

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

bisticles posted:

I would definitely recommend checking out something with P90s. They're just big fat single coils, but tend to sound a bit fuller just because they do cover more surface area on the string, and some of the boutique pickup makers are doing cool things with them. Specifically, you might want to check out the Godin LG P90. Had one for a while and really liked the way it played.

I've seen some of the Godins at a local shop I visit fairly often. I've never tried one of them but the last time I was there, the dude behind the counter pulled one out and showed it to me. Gorgeous guitar - satin sunburst finish (I have a thing for burst-type finishes).

quote:

Just to put another thought in your head, though, have you ever looked at Peavey Wolfgangs? It's kind of a hodge podge of styles. The body is sort of like a Tele-shaped Les Paul, the neck is fairly narrow and round like a 90's shredder, and it's got two very lively humbucker pickups. Two knobs, one three-position switch, and usually either a Floyd Rose or hardtail bridge. The USA Standard models aren't really that cheap, but it's a whole lot of fun to throw around.

Yours is definitely nice looking, but that's a bit more oomph than I'm trying to get. The one HH Tele I played before had kind of a gritty, higher-range sound than my Heritage or a Gibson, but not as high or jangly as my ASAT. I liked that, and the one Wolfgang I ever played felt like a sports car with a little too much power for a joyride. I felt like I was constantly fighting it.

Something with P90s may be the way to go. I'm considering other non-Fender options, but there is a Tele with P90s on the wall nearby, and I may have to go by and play it, see what I think.

I'm trying to keep things between $500 and $800. But I'm watching the used market more than new - I hate buying brand new guitars. Only done it once, and I felt like I lucked out (my Heritage).

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
I've got a G&L ASAT Bluesboy (humbucker in the neck, single coil in the bridge) that I got for $800 or $850 used, I think. You can guess how the bridge sounds but the neck is lower output than the neck pickup in my SG. I also think they pair really well, which is not something I usually like; you get some of the bright single-coil in the bridge on top of the very thick tone from the neck. Might be too similar to your ASAT already, but if you can find one it's probably worth playing around with it.

Also, I got some new pickups... (ugh, what a terrible picture)

Lindy Fralin blues split blades. The body is ash and really bright acoustically, which made the stock SCN pickups almost unusable. Decided to give this a shot instead of cutting my losses and selling it now, and I'm glad I did. I really like the Fralins; the whole thing is infinitely more versatile. There are a range of tone options that sound good now, not just "dead," "pretty good," and "oh my god why is it SO BRIGHT." The guitar itself has always played really well, so I'm really happy that these pickups are so much better suited for the body than what was in there before.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

Walter posted:

Holy poo poo, just looked at the Reverend site, and listened to some of the sound / video clips there. I like those... a lot.

I love mine with P90s. Goes from chunky to trebley with the bass contour control. Only problem is they don't offer the Bigsby option any more!

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
http://proguitarshop.com/hanson-firenze-t-90-trans-orange.html

Walter, ever consider a nice Hanson?

http://proguitarshop.com/hanson-gatto-deluxe.html

http://proguitarshop.com/hanson-cigno-trans-burgundy.html

There's some nice options there. The T-90 is a teleoid with a P-90 bridge, and the Gatto might be what you originally envisioned. The Cigno is just a little odd... triple P90 and a Bigsby.

Notice that the Gatto's coils can be split, as well.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 25, 2012

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
i honestly don't know why P-90s aren't more widely used. They have they're own sound but you can also get some really good single coil and humbucker sounds out of them. They're also the only pickups that I actually use the tone control with.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

HollisBrown posted:

i honestly don't know why P-90s aren't more widely used. They have they're own sound but you can also get some really good single coil and humbucker sounds out of them. They're also the only pickups that I actually use the tone control with.

While most people wouldn't think it, P90 style pups are fantastic for metal, especially for modern mid-heavy stuff. They have a helluva bite, and can cut through any mix while retaining a low-end growl.

I'm a big fan of the Lace X-Bars and Aluma-90s. They're P90 voiced, but with a modern twist and totally noiseless. The X-Bar has a super-wide frequency response, so running it direct has a better-than-piezo acoustic sound.

Soon I'll be grabbing a custom P90 to replace the neck pickup in my 1967 Gibson ES330. Was looking at Seymour Duncan, but they've been lax in responding to my emails. Any suggestions for accurate vintage voicing?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

They get more interesting if you combine them with other pickups, too.

I can't offer any good choices for true vintage sound.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Just got one of these in trade, but without the power supply :qq:
Going to probably fashion one this weekend since it's Memorial Day.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

The Gasmask posted:

Soon I'll be grabbing a custom P90 to replace the neck pickup in my 1967 Gibson ES330. Was looking at Seymour Duncan, but they've been lax in responding to my emails. Any suggestions for accurate vintage voicing?

Lollar Pickups, or you might try Lindy Fralin's noiseless P-90s

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
Was browsing guitar centers used section today for a Epiphone Sheraton, and came across one for a ridiculous price, and it was only an hour away from my house to boot. Called them up and it even turns out to be one of the earlier korean models. I still have to check it out to make sure it's a good guitar and all, but I'm pretty excited. Would have rather had the natural model, but for the price I couldn't pass it up.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

Thorpe posted:

Called them up and it even turns out to be one of the earlier korean models.
Those 90's Korean Epiphones are great instruments. I don't know what you think "a ridiculous price" is--these are worth between $400-500 depending on condition and this one is missing the pickguard which is literally impossible to replace (seriously). When you go in to check it out, ask where the pickguard is; if they don't have it, offer $100 less. If the saleman knows anything about Epiphones, he'll sigh and agree.

Imp Boy
Feb 8, 2004

Thorpe posted:

Was browsing guitar centers used section today for a Epiphone Sheraton, and came across one for a ridiculous price, and it was only an hour away from my house to boot. Called them up and it even turns out to be one of the earlier korean models. I still have to check it out to make sure it's a good guitar and all, but I'm pretty excited. Would have rather had the natural model, but for the price I couldn't pass it up.

I've got a Korean Sheraton, and I love it. Some of the hardware is a bit cheap on them, but they are drat good for the price. My brother has an older Gibson 335, and the Sheraton plays almost as well as the Gibson with only slightly lower quality fit and finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

RetardedRobots posted:

Those 90's Korean Epiphones are great instruments. I don't know what you think "a ridiculous price" is--these are worth between $400-500 depending on condition and this one is missing the pickguard which is literally impossible to replace (seriously). When you go in to check it out, ask where the pickguard is; if they don't have it, offer $100 less. If the saleman knows anything about Epiphones, he'll sigh and agree.

I'll try for a bit more off, but it's priced at 249.99. I'm not the biggest fan of pickguards, but it would be nice to have one. Going to leave to check it out now!

If I do end up liking it I'll probably replace the gold hardware with chrome. Not a big fan of gold at all.