Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Next time Tecmo sports game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bocc Kob posted:

Next time Tecmo sports game?

Yep. There's a lot of interesting options there. I'm not certain at all what could be up for this one since there are so many to choose from. I'm going with Captain Tsubasa though since the game had a pretty big following in Japan.

Edit: Hey, Kan's doing a bit of cross promotion:

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 26, 2012

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

My guess is Tecmo Wrestling since we've already seen it. I hope it's not another golf game.

Blunt the King
Feb 24, 2008

You have never been so scared in your entire life.
Alright so, I've devoted a large chunk of my life this week to shotgunning basically every translated episode of this show. I'd heard of and watched a couple episodes of GCCX every now and then for a year or two now, but this week was the only time I've actually sat down and really watched the show.

First off, I would like to give a very hearty thank you to the SA Team for translating this wonderful show, and for bringing it to our shores, and I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye on this thread for all future developments/translations...

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

zrrgin posted:

My guess is Tecmo Wrestling since we've already seen it. I hope it's not another golf game.

There's clearly only one answer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PBvOxicz-0
Even if it doesn't make a drat bit of sense.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
That right there is why I had a Bo Jackson poster in my room as a child, despite never having watched a football game before.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"

SirLarr posted:

Next Tuesday (May 29), I got a 2-hour time slot on our Machinima livestream to do a RETRO GAME CHALLENGE (da daaa~).

I shamelessly stole the format from Game Center CX. The idea is that we have two hours to beat an NES game, otherwise we're going to have our lips waxed by a very vindictive female host.

I'll be sure to watch. Right now I'm in negotiations to run a similar event live at a retro anime/gaming convention, under similar time constraints. (Audience participation will be likely, though I'll try to root out any dangerous kids.) The game is secret at the moment, but should be fairly feasible for a two-hour slot. Also, no waxings, as the dude I'm going to shanghai would probably like it too much.

I also recently reviewed Retro Game Challenge on my Youtube channel, trying to do it justice by including an Arino-style introduction, slow-zoom-in insert shot, whiteboard full of bad drawings, cooling pad with stuff written on it, the whole spiel. Kinda felt dirty biting the whole schtick, I'm not gonna lie. Fun, but dirty.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Corridor posted:

Oh man I hope you're doing a GCCX manga with Kibe. :allears: That other one was great, but it was hard to tell who everyone was.

What, really? I thought the artist did a fantastic job at capturing the staff's likeness while still retaining their style. In fact it was one of my inspirations when drawing the King Arino picture and had this in my reference folder. Considering how many manga artists are incapable of giving their characters different faces, it could've been a lot worse.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
nm

Vlaphor fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 26, 2012

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Silentman0 posted:

There's clearly only one answer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PBvOxicz-0
Even if it doesn't make a drat bit of sense.
"AHHH! BO GOT THEM STUCK IN A PATTERN!"

I actually hope it's Tecmo Bowl/Super Bowl just to see if they give him a special football jersey to wear while he played the game. It would be ridiculous and amazing at the same time.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Obeast posted:

"AHHH! BO GOT THEM STUCK IN A PATTERN!"

I actually hope it's Tecmo Bowl/Super Bowl just to see if they give him a special football jersey to wear while he played the game. It would be ridiculous and amazing at the same time.

Tecmo Bowl was not released on Japanese Famicom.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

zari-gani posted:

What, really? I thought the artist did a fantastic job at capturing the staff's likeness while still retaining their style. In fact it was one of my inspirations when drawing the King Arino picture and had this in my reference folder. Considering how many manga artists are incapable of giving their characters different faces, it could've been a lot worse.

Arino, Tojima, Kibe, Kan, ... someone..., Sasano..?, Tanii?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the last two are definitely Sasano and Tanii, but I don't know the other one either.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Probably Inoue or Urakawa. I'm unaware of when the manga was made so that might tip it off.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It's in Book 3

Crotch Bat posted:

Probably Inoue or Urakawa. I'm unaware of when the manga was made so that might tip it off.

It's in Book 3.

When I grabbed it to make sure my memory was right I saw it also had a map of all of the North Trip sites. That would have saved me some effort...

Blunt the King
Feb 24, 2008

actually this reminds me, is there a place one could find a translated version of said manga? I'd like to give it a look because it looks really good, but I don't speak the language.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Blunt the King posted:

actually this reminds me, is there a place one could find a translated version of said manga? I'd like to give it a look because it looks really good, but I don't speak the language.

Pretty sure it got posted in the last thread. I can re-up if nobody has an active link.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

joek0 posted:

Tecmo Bowl was not released on Japanese Famicom.
Actually, Wikipedia says there were Japanese versions of both games (although the article for Tecmo Super Bowl doesn't show Famicom, but still lists the Japanese release date under NES :confused:).

Crotch Bat posted:

I'm leaning towards Inoue since I think he wore a sweater/hoodie similar to the one in the picture in one episode. :shobon:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Yeah, the hoodie is Inoue.

I went ahead and reuploaded the comic anyway. No idea who originally translated it, but credit to whoever they are!

GCCXcomix.zip - 11.6 Mb

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Yeah it's Inoue. Squinty eyes + broad/square jawline = Inoue, pretty much in every single artist's interpretation I've seen of him. They're his two most defining facial features. Urakawa has a thinner face with a pointier jaw, non-squinty eyes, and either shorter hair or the long permed hair + goatee combo. He also has a huge amount of space between his nose and his mouth. I find that Inoue drawing immediately recognizable. I probably just study faces too much. For example I'm always amazed by Nakayama's super-arched eyebrows, and Male Takahashi's Beavis-like 3/4 view profile.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 26, 2012

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Box of Bunnies posted:

I went ahead and reuploaded the comic anyway. No idea who originally translated it, but credit to whoever they are!

GCCXcomix.zip - 11.6 Mb

I'm downloading a translated foreign comic about a low budget TV show wherein a middle-aged comedian sucks at old video games.

I think I just suffered an existential crisis of some sort :psyduck:

(thanks)

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Obeast posted:

Imagine Arino trying to understand American football. "I got the ball!...Why are there 5 guys on top of me?"

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

zari-gani posted:

Yeah it's Inoue. Squinty eyes + broad/square jawline = Inoue, pretty much in every single artist's interpretation I've seen of him. They're his two most defining facial features. Urakawa has a thinner face with a pointier jaw, non-squinty eyes, and either shorter hair or the long permed hair + goatee combo. He also has a huge amount of space between his nose and his mouth. I find that Inoue drawing immediately recognizable. I probably just study faces too much. For example I'm always amazed by Nakayama's super-arched eyebrows, and Male Takahashi's Beavis-like 3/4 view profile.

I'm so used to see Inoue with facial hair, it's weird to see him clean-shaven, especially in a drawing. I was even looking for his block-like head to tip me off, but I wasn't sure from that angle. :v:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Bocc Kob posted:

I'm so used to see Inoue with facial hair, it's weird to see him clean-shaven, especially in a drawing. I was even looking for his block-like head to tip me off, but I wasn't sure from that angle. :v:

He's definitely gone through a metamorphosis throughout the years. I drew him with a very short haircut and facial hair for the poster (which I think makes him harder to recognize -- fortunately I think he has a very distinct profile which I tried my best to depict) but I actually think his longer hair + clean-shaven look is more iconic, I guess 'cause that's what he looked like in his debut. Urakawa's gone through the most looks but I gave him the long permed hair + goatee combo because no one else in the staff has looked like that.

Blunt the King
Feb 24, 2008

Box of Bunnies posted:

GCCXcomix.zip - 11.6 Mb

Bless you kind soul, I never thought I'd be able to read this so this is great

as a thank you i made this a while ago when i watched the Megaman episode, i think it's the right size and everything for an avatar if someone wants to scoop it up.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

There's also the other illustrator who does the caricatures for the Gas Coin staff. (Too bad they take down people's profiles when they leave because he had some good ones of Nakayama et al)

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

His caricatures are great, too. And I've always been extremely impressed by this fanart that used to be in the OP. Whoever drew it did an amazing job with so few features. Katayama and Male Takahashi especially are spot-on. This was also in my reference folder.

(Sorry folks, this is not a new release post)

Also posting the Nakayama one Ray mentioned.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 26, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Urakawa's gone through the most looks

Yeah, I swear he changes his style every single season. Every time he appears on the show after he wraps up his time as AD there's about two minutes where I'm saying "Who is that..." If I'm lucky they actually flash his name on the screen but he appears in the background or in big groups of the staff all the time.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Blunt the King posted:

Bless you kind soul, I never thought I'd be able to read this so this is great

No problem. I can't make any meaningful contribution to the effort myself, so I'm happy to spread what others have done when possible.

zari-gani posted:

Also posting the Nakayama one Ray mentioned.

Was he using that as his Twitter icon for a while? I know Inoko MAX uses his caricature from that artist for Twitter and that Nakayama one looks familiar (and adorable).

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

SirLarr posted:

Next Tuesday (May 29), I got a 2-hour time slot on our Machinima livestream to do a RETRO GAME CHALLENGE (da daaa~).

Ahh this sounds cool. Can you re-view live streams at Machinima or are you going to have a way to upload it later? Just in case I miss it.

Level Slide posted:

There must be bad dry-erase marker drawings.

Also this

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Re-reading that comic, I noticed this in Kibe's description:

quote:

Surprisingly, he is a heavy drinker.

Maybe I stand a chance if we hit the sauce hard and I get on about my Sega collection. "Say Kibe-kun, did you know I own an SC-3000, six Master Systems and a Game Gear? ;-*"

Okay, that was a bit creepy. My apologies.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Corridor posted:

Oh man I hope you're doing a GCCX manga with Kibe. :allears: That other one was great, but it was hard to tell who everyone was.
If anyone makes a GCCX manga it should be Abe. :colbert:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

zari-gani posted:

His caricatures are great, too. And I've always been extremely impressed by this fanart that used to be in the OP. Whoever drew it did an amazing job with so few features. Katayama and Male Takahashi especially are spot-on. This was also in my reference folder.

This is just about the only time I've seen Sasano drawn to actually resemble him.

And yeah, Urakawa has some crazyass fashion sense going on sometimes. I think the last thing I watched had him looking like a 70s pimp.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Corridor posted:

And yeah, Urakawa has some crazyass fashion sense going on sometimes. I think the last thing I watched had him looking like a 70s pimp.

I think he had that look during one of the game release tours. Also, this is both appropriate and completely unplanned:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Obeast posted:

Actually, Wikipedia says there were Japanese versions of both games (although the article for Tecmo Super Bowl doesn't show Famicom, but still lists the Japanese release date under NES :confused:).

I was just in my local retro game shop the other day (Game Over, ATX), making a terrible purchase spurred on by childhood memories against all that is good and holy and logical (an Atari 5200), and I believe I saw TSB in their Famicom section. I know TB was, and I THINK TSB was next to it in the case.

e: gently caress, I should ask them if they're going to carry the GCCX DVD when it comes out---they already have a gaming-related DVD rack.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

A few questions:

- Assuming I was going to write fanmail to Arino, should I bother finding someone to translate it into Japanese or should I just send it in English and hope for someone to be able to read it?

- On that note, what's the address for GCCX?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

A few questions:

- Assuming I was going to write fanmail to Arino, should I bother finding someone to translate it into Japanese or should I just send it in English and hope for someone to be able to read it?

- On that note, what's the address for GCCX?

Having it translated into Japanese would be more convenient for Arino but there are people at the show who know English (Kan definitely, Kibe probably, about half of the AD's).

I know there's an official drop for fan mail through Fuji TV but the only address I can find immediately is the Gascoin offices (where they shoot the challenges). A letter sent to Arino Shinya c/o Gascoin would definitely reach him. That address is:

東京都港区芝4-9-3 芝石井ビル7F

or

Shibaishii Building, 7F
4-9-3 Shiba, Minato-ku, Tokyo-to, Japan

Edit: Also, as I crawl through this episode I keep repeating to myself, "There's only one more. There's only one more." That's not much comfort, thought.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 27, 2012

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Having it translated into Japanese would be more convenient for Arino but there are people at the show who know English (Kan definitely, Kibe probably, about half of the AD's).

Excellent! Good to know I can slash at least one step from this.

SirLarr
Mar 21, 2003

High tech, low class.

Mayor McCheese posted:

Ahh this sounds cool. Can you re-view live streams at Machinima or are you going to have a way to upload it later? Just in case I miss it.

Yep. We stream through YouTube, and the URL for the live stream automatically becomes the VOD after the stream is done. I'll post it in this thread once it happens.

I'll see what I can do about crappy dry erase drawings. I think the only snag is that in my setup, there's no AD to pop in and give hints. We're soliciting help from our audience, so hopefully they will make doodles with MSPaint or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I feel ashamed to have gotten 700 posts and countless episodes short on the show. It's been a lot to keep up with lately! I'm still trying to figure out where I last left off...