Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

BadAstronaut posted:

Heh, wow there is a lot of nerdrage in the last few pages.

It made me unironically vote this thread 5. It's like neoGAF levels of nerdrage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
All signs say the Game of Thrones RPG is terrible. I still bought it, because poor graphics, voice acting, and bugs don't stop me from enjoying things. I have such a huge tolerance for lovely things. I'm also a massive fanboy who read the books first and just started watching the pretty decent series.

Also I will basically play anything where I can use swords and level up to use swords better, it's as simple as that.

Experience is better than crack, I'll be back in a day or so to tell Goons about my time with it.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

TehGherkin posted:

All signs say the Game of Thrones RPG is terrible. I still bought it, because poor graphics, voice acting, and bugs don't stop me from enjoying things. I have such a huge tolerance for lovely things. I'm also a massive fanboy who read the books first and just started watching the pretty decent series.

Also I will basically play anything where I can use swords and level up to use swords better, it's as simple as that.

Experience is better than crack, I'll be back in a day or so to tell Goons about my time with it.

I've put a solid amount of time into it, and I'd say it's actually pretty good! I am a bit more forgiving than others though when it comes to some things I guess. I'd say it's a solid B effort, probably not worth full price to most, but definitely worth a buy when it's a bit cheaper. As far as official reviews go, yeah, IGN gave this a 4/10, but they also gave Dragon Age 2 a 8 (or was it 8.5) and everyone realized what a piece of poo poo that turned out to be so I wouldn't put my money on what they say.

The bad things I'd note about the game? VA isn't great, saving/loading takes a while, it's very clunky in that regard. You've got hover swords in cutscenes which looks kinda jarring. I had the game freeze once when saving. I like the sidequests, but there really isn't enough.

The good? I like the combat, lots of stuff you can do. The 2 main characters are pretty good, I like Mors a bit better than Alester, but they're good characters. If you're a big fan of the books, the game does a great job of keeping the feel of the books. I like the secondary powers that the characters have (Mors's dog, Alesters R'hollor powers) and I love the various ways you can handle any given situation. Best of all - NO lovely GOOD/EVIL/NEUTRAL poo poo. All your conversations have dialogue options and you simply pick what you want to pick.

All in all, it's very much a game that's rough around the edges and could have used a bunch of improvement, but there's plenty of good to be found there. It's not the 4/10 IGN is claiming.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

The Black Stones posted:

I've put a solid amount of time into it, and I'd say it's actually pretty good! I am a bit more forgiving than others though when it comes to some things I guess. I'd say it's a solid B effort, probably not worth full price to most, but definitely worth a buy when it's a bit cheaper. As far as official reviews go, yeah, IGN gave this a 4/10, but they also gave Dragon Age 2 a 8 (or was it 8.5) and everyone realized what a piece of poo poo that turned out to be so I wouldn't put my money on what they say.

I didn't know IGN gave a mark below 8, now I gotta try this game

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
IGN gave Godhand a 2.5, so I bought Game Of Thrones on the strength of that alone. It's not as good as Godhand, but it's certainly not bad.

mdh1975
Sep 4, 2011
Has anyone played the pc port of Last Remnant that is on sale at Amazon? Worth $15 and my time?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

mdh1975 posted:

Has anyone played the pc port of Last Remnant that is on sale at Amazon? Worth $15 and my time?

It's an excellent port, and actually has more content than the 360 version I think. It's definitely worth 15 bucks.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

mdh1975 posted:

The PC port is a vast, tremendous, almost unspeakable improvement over the Xbox version. It still retains some of the more obtuse and poorly/not explained mechanics of the Xbox release but at least it doesn't actively hate you like that version. Its quite a bit of fun but I'd still recommend having a guide given the few obtuse mechanics and the easy to miss side-quests.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

You don't actually need a guide for the sidequests unless you are deliberately going for the 100% sidequest thing, which you almost certainly don't want to do on your first playthrough.

Otherwise, you can just talk to the bartenders in towns and they will lead you to almost any sidequests you haven't done yet. It's very helpful.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 20, 2012

mdh1975
Sep 4, 2011
Thanks for the recommendations. So far its been enjoyable and worth the purchase.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Anyone in this thread have a strong opinion on Dragon's Dogma yet? I know it's only been a day, but every bit of pre-release info has made me feel like I'd love it, and I'm jonesing to buy it, but if the answer is anything less than "awesome," I think I can wait.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Liesmith posted:

Name one games journalist that isn't a hack.
Does Seanbaby count?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

Anyone in this thread have a strong opinion on Dragon's Dogma yet? I know it's only been a day, but every bit of pre-release info has made me feel like I'd love it, and I'm jonesing to buy it, but if the answer is anything less than "awesome," I think I can wait.

Dragon's Dogma is inarguibly flawed, but when it is on? It is on. It has the most physical weighty combat I've ever seen in a video game.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

For those not aware, Ys Origin got confirmed for a Steam release on May 31st.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
For some reason I remembered that I own all three Atelier Iris games on PS2 and have not played a second of them. About three hours into the first one (Eternal Mana) and it seems pretty fun so far. Very upbeat and bright, and lots of item creation.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

CVagts posted:

For some reason I remembered that I own all three Atelier Iris games on PS2 and have not played a second of them. About three hours into the first one (Eternal Mana) and it seems pretty fun so far. Very upbeat and bright, and lots of item creation.

I think I enjoyed the second one the most. The first one is pretty good though. The third one introduced a time element to exploration which I really dislike. I get the premise but I don't enjoy games that don't let me take my time with things.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ImpAtom posted:

Dragon's Dogma is inarguibly flawed, but when it is on? It is on. It has the most physical weighty combat I've ever seen in a video game.

I watched some gamplay, and all the guy did was kill NPCs that tried to give him quests and then threw them off cliffs.

It's like Saints Row Skyrim.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Tae posted:

I watched some gamplay, and all the guy did was kill NPCs that tried to give him quests and then threw them off cliffs.

It's like Saints Row Skyrim.

That description sounds a lot more like Dark Souls Skyrim. My first playthrough of that game taught me that it's a lot easier to kick an unsuspecting, friendly NPC off a cliff now than it is to track him down and kill him when he betrays me later.

e: My copy of Dragon's Dogma arrived last night, and I'm really enjoying it. That said, I'd probably advise just about everyone I know not to touch it with a 10 foot pole. The interface feels sluggish and randomly laid out, the framerate is inconsistent and hovering around the lower half of playable, and the game is always letterboxed, which is really annoying. A majority of quests are mostly meaningless and immediately forgettable, gameplay is repetitive and you're constantly being interrupted with attacks every 30 feet, and after 5 hours in, there's no fast travel or horses in the game, so you spend a lot of your time just walking. Many of the game's systems are unintuitive, the tutorial text only explains the blatantly obvious, and the minimap is zoomed in to the point of uselessness.

On the other hand, the combat is fun and satisfying, the enemies are challenging, and when the game rewards you, it's immensely rewarding. If you're the kind of person that loves games like Dark Souls and Monster Hunter, and can ignore all those problems I've described above, then you'd probably enjoy Dragon's Dogma as much as I do.

Sumac fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 26, 2012

Reno
Nov 16, 2004
I have genital herpes.
Can anyone recommend me an RPG that is similar to the SaGa series?

I liked the Battle and Level Up system of those games, as well as the open endedness that allowed me to explore to my hearts content whenever I wanted more or less.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

That description sounds a lot more like Dark Souls Skyrim. My first playthrough of that game taught me that it's a lot easier to kick an unsuspecting, friendly NPC off a cliff now than it is to track him down and kill him when he betrays me later.

e: My copy of Dragon's Dogma arrived last night, and I'm really enjoying it. That said, I'd probably advise just about everyone I know not to touch it with a 10 foot pole. The interface feels sluggish and randomly laid out, the framerate is inconsistent and hovering around the lower half of playable, and the game is always letterboxed, which is really annoying. A majority of quests are mostly meaningless and immediately forgettable, gameplay is repetitive and you're constantly being interrupted with attacks every 30 feet, and after 5 hours in, there's no fast travel or horses in the game, so you spend a lot of your time just walking. Many of the game's systems are unintuitive, the tutorial text only explains the blatantly obvious, and the minimap is zoomed in to the point of uselessness.

On the other hand, the combat is fun and satisfying, the enemies are challenging, and when the game rewards you, it's immensely rewarding. If you're the kind of person that loves games like Dark Souls and Monster Hunter, and can ignore all those problems I've described above, then you'd probably enjoy Dragon's Dogma as much as I do.

I think that can all be summed up as: Don't buy, rent once and be happy.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

You don't actually need a guide for the sidequests unless you are deliberately going for the 100% sidequest thing, which you almost certainly don't want to do on your first playthrough.

Otherwise, you can just talk to the bartenders in towns and they will lead you to almost any sidequests you haven't done yet. It's very helpful.

Just quoting this and explaining a little bit why you don't want to do 100% Sidequests. Semi-nonspecific-spoilers for game mechanics on the last boss: The more sidequests you do, the stronger he becomes, up to bullshit levels.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Reno posted:

Can anyone recommend me an RPG that is similar to the SaGa series?

I liked the Battle and Level Up system of those games, as well as the open endedness that allowed me to explore to my hearts content whenever I wanted more or less.

Yeah, there are a couple games like that - and they were all made by Akitoshi Kawazu, the director of the SaGa games. If you're interested in the mechanics of the SaGa series, you can go as far back as Final Fantasy 2, which Kawazu designed, to see their earliest incarnation in characters gaining stats based on the actions they take during combat. Legend of Mana is another open-ended, non-linear game that focuses on exploration, and although it has his signature obtuse mechanics, they're not as convoluted or mysterious as the SaGa games.

The game you're looking for though is Last Remnant. It is pretty much a SaGa game in all regards except the name. It has an incredibly bad story and the characters are awful, but the mechanics and ideas behind the game are very fun and interesting. Actually, maybe they're not always fun, but they're definitely bizarre and impenetrable. The game has a lot of problems, but it's got a lot of redeeming things too and it does a lot of things that could probably revolutionize the genre if they're taken further or refined. I kind of feel like the game is a bad game wrapped up in a good game wrapped up in a completely different bad game. I don't know if that makes sense, but yeah, you should try Last Remnant.

Don't read FAQs or wikis or anything btw!!

But yeah, I think Kawazu is one of the best people to ever make games and the project I'm working on is basically a huge love letter to him. I just wish Square Enix would let him out of his cubicle every once in a while for fresh air and maybe a new game or two.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
If you play Last Remnant, only play the PC version. The Xbox 360 version is basically a beta compared to the PC. It fixes everything that was wrong in the original release, pretty much.

But yeah, great game for anyone who enjoys SaGa.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

MotU posted:

Just quoting this and explaining a little bit why you don't want to do 100% Sidequests. Semi-nonspecific-spoilers for game mechanics on the last boss: The more sidequests you do, the stronger he becomes, up to bullshit levels.

If you do all the sidequests you have already beaten a couple more difficult fights. Personally I think it was brilliant that the last boss isn't some chump like in every other JRPG.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Industrial posted:

If you do all the sidequests you have already beaten a couple more difficult fights. Personally I think it was brilliant that the last boss isn't some chump like in every other JRPG.

Last Remnant can be gently caress-you hard at times, especially if you explore and do lots of side quests. There are caps, but some of them are so high you may never see them. The final boss was a nice surprise after years of RPG overgrinding on optional content making things too easy.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

nessin posted:

I think that can all be summed up as: Don't buy, rent once and be happy.

Well it's also a long-rear end game, so if it's the sort of game someone's into, renting it might not be the best option. I'd say it can be summed up as: wait and see if it gets patched, and wait for the inevitable plummet to the bargain bin.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm having a blast with Dragon's Dogma. Yesterday I was wandering around, found a hidden entrance into a dungeon behind a waterfall. Went inside, found some nice treasure, skeletons (that I threw into water to their doom), some mages and Saurians that I hacked the poo poo out of. And then there was a cyclops.

Also, walking through the woods at night, heard the beating of wings. Turned around to see a dragon right at my back, who promptly roasted the poo poo out of my pawn in a single gout of flame. And gently caress did I run.

It has a poor UI and an abundance of random curative items, but the feeling of "Oh poo poo I am hosed if this goes wrong" permeating a lot of the battles is great, reminding me of Dark/Demon's Souls.

Also, needs more auto-save, because ugh losing 10-20 minutes of progress.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Dragon's Dogma is great but it's going to drive my completionist self to rack and loving ruin. So many quests to try to turf up out of nowhere, so many houses to dig through for random crap, so many brooms to steal.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

MotU posted:

More final boss chat.

It's actually not clear what determines his Rank apparently. Nobody seems to know what it actually takes other than obviously finishing Things Unchangeable gives you Rank 8 guaranteed.

One of the few things I could find just claimed "Do Tablet of Marshal" for Rank 2, then "Do UFO?!" for Rank 3. I did both of these things (and claimed a ton of other Remnants) and I still fought him at Rank 1. But this guide was for the JP 360 version of the game, and I was on the PC version, so it would not surprise me that it was different on the PC.

Being based on the number of quests done is also not true. I did about 95% of the quests in the game and again, Rank 1.

ALSO, many sidequests actually make the final boss easier. Any of them that deny the Conqueror access to a Remnant will give him less skills he can use.

My suspicion was that his Rank was actually based on how many optional Remnants you allow Conqueror to have, which would make sense as to why I had Rank 1. I didn't do Hatred's Edge (which gives him Blue Elf) and did claim all the other ones, AFAIK.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power
I never got to the end of Last Remnant (I will when I get a better computer) but for all y'all lovin the tough last boss, it's really another staple of the SaGa games. Most of them are all about being prepared for the immensely difficult final bosses.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

nene. posted:

I never got to the end of Last Remnant (I will when I get a better computer) but for all y'all lovin the tough last boss, it's really another staple of the SaGa games. Most of them are all about being prepared for the immensely difficult final bosses.

He scales depending on how you've played the game. They're all long/annoying, but some of the versions aren't all that difficult.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

nene. posted:

The two worst offenders of course are Final Fantasy Legend 3 and Romancing SaGa 3. The former was a pain because FFL3 actually did have a 99 cap for stats unlike FFL2. The latter was a gigantic pain because it used status effects that you couldn't get defense against (specifically, wasting your round and killing one of your dudes by forcing your party members to attack the spell's target) and because it had an ability that made it so you couldn't heal and did about 150 damage at the end of every round when you had a 999 HP cap. It's not even like it was a desperation move, if it did that at the beginning of the battle, you were pretty screwed even if it decided to cancel the damage field later on.

Such a shame, too; though I've beaten them legit, it's very frustrating and very luck-based. They're both pretty great games otherwise.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 28, 2012

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So the next game in the Divinity series has been announced..... and it's an isometric turn based RPG that takes place before Divine Divinity with some pretty advanced co-op designed for it

http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?articleid=192&ref=0&id=499

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

The White Dragon posted:

The two worst offenders of course are Final Fantasy Legend 3 and Romancing SaGa 3.

No, the worst offender is SaGa Frontier 2, because the game more-or-less hand-holds you for almost all but the last two scenarios, at which point it sets the difficulty to 11 and pounds the poo poo out of you. The final boss has some atrocious party-kill attacks, not to mention some very potent Petrification attacks that you probably didn't prepare for. While they can be negated by following the right path through the final dungeon, most players are just not ready for it the first time through; I certainly wasn't, and I'm a huge SaGa fanboy who realizes exactly what kind of wonderful nonsense to expect from these games, and the reviews I can recall from the time confirmed it wasn't just me. If the final boss is fought without being weakened first, it has 10 forms!

Of course, this is all moot if you got stuck at the Battle of South Moundtop.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Luckily you can finish Will's half of the story without doing Battle of South Moundtop. Someone find the poo poo for brains who designed that thing and gently caress him in the rear end with a splintery 8x8 post.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

So the next game in the Divinity series has been announced..... and it's an isometric turn based RPG that takes place before Divine Divinity with some pretty advanced co-op designed for it

I just hope it's not Beyond Divinity all over again.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

dis astranagant posted:

Luckily you can finish Will's half of the story without doing Battle of South Moundtop. Someone find the poo poo for brains who designed that thing and gently caress him in the rear end with a splintery 8x8 post.

Oh yeah, South Moundtop is a clusterfuck of pure luck. It's awful. There are no ways to strategically maneuver around it (though I think there's some obscure way that you can get Fake Gustav as a unit in the battle too? Not that it would help terribly much). It's straight-up dodging enough enemy attacks to survive the battle. It takes two hours while abusing savestates.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

The White Dragon posted:

Oh yeah, South Moundtop is a clusterfuck of pure luck. It's awful. There are no ways to strategically maneuver around it (though I think there's some obscure way that you can get Fake Gustav as a unit in the battle too? Not that it would help terribly much). It's straight-up dodging enough enemy attacks to survive the battle. It takes two hours while abusing savestates.

I don't remember having THAT much trouble with it. Don't you just need to last ten rounds?

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

theblackw0lf posted:

:stare:

As someone who really, really enjoyed DKS, this feels like a huge step back for me. Hell it even looks like a significant step back graphically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Naky posted:

:stare:

As someone who really, really enjoyed DKS, this feels like a huge step back for me. Hell it even looks like a significant step back graphically.
You're aware of Dragon Commander, right?