Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ledneh posted:

Do I have to pay the 1000 or whatever DP every time I want to change vocations, or is that a one-off 'unlock' payment?

It's a one time fee to unlock each class, thankfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

tooooooo bad posted:

They didn't actually have it. If you walk up to the female bandit chief without any male pawns in your group (unless you're male yourself I guess) she'll tell you that another bandit group near the Witchwood entrance has it.

Here:

You might be able to talk it away from the bandit leader but he didn't care to give it up to me. It's in a chest at the very tip top of the castle's tower.

Or you can do what I did and hire a pawn with knowledge of the quest (well, it was luck more then anything else, since I didn't deliberately hire a pawn for that), who turned around and said "Forsootheth, mayhaps one might venture forth to yonder castle" and off I went.

Also, I was poking around that castle north of the capital and I found a glowing bird nest that I couldn't interact with. What's that all about?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Mr. Podunkian posted:

I think it's in one of the chests in the destroyed turrets, but I might be wrong.

Cool, I'll check it out.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

-Blackadder- posted:

Anyone know where I can find one of those Bandit masks that covers the bottom half of the face? I think they're red.

Also, for anyone hesitating switching vocations if you're getting bored, give it a shot. I'm really liking Strider, after playing a mage/sorcerer for 35 levels and I don't feel particularly gimped at all. The difference in playstyle is fun as hell and I feel like it's almost a new game. My one complaint is that I have no interest in using bows, but I can't assign any of my dagger skills to my left trigger.

I got a mask with a mouth painted on it called the Gossip Mask and covers the bottom half of your face. from the male bandit camp by the Witchwood. Not the red one but it still looks cool.

Edit: Oops, beaten.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Bought the game on a whim tonight, played for about 4 hours, liking it a lot more than I thought I would. Went mage, enjoying the heck out of blasting things. Haven't found it to be too difficult so far, I'm level 15 and the only time I've died was in Everfall. I'm rolling with a tank pawn and one hired hand. My only problem is that I'm burdened, wearing cloth and rags puts me at half endurance... there goes my pack-rat tendencies!

My main pawn is a big bruiser named Tusk. He's dumb but he gets the job done. Show him some love!

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Can we share photos of our pawns up in here? I'm self-obsessed and mad that no one is renting my bird lady pawn after I spent so much effort making her in to a bird lady:

On a different note:
The arrival of the dragon at the end of the greatwall quest is awesome. For some reason I really like the dragon, he just seems so gentlemanly when he's talking to you.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

a kitten posted:

Note to self: don't try to date royalty.

I do like how there's apparently no distinction between the genders at all: the Duchess was perfectly willing to attempt to seduce my female sorcerer. Well right up until the Duke showed up and things went to hell.

Thank you!

Later on, you rescue her from the mansion, and lie down on a bed or something together and at the end it turns out she loves you!. Even if you're female.

More relationship tomfoolery, contains ending spoilers: So by rescuing Selene from the angry mob and letting her crash at my place, this counts as us being in a relationship, so the Dragon will let me choose to sacrifice her instead of fighting him. I said gently caress that, so I killed him, and then Selene and my character had sex by the fireside.

Nothing is just a friendship in Dragon's Dogma :v:

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

RentACop posted:

Something about this dumb plot is really sinking into me and making me enjoy it unironically.
It's more the style of the game than the plot that sells itself. A story can be objectively stupid as a ton of jell-o bricks, but if it works in its own little self-contained world, and is immersive enough, then it just goes like clockwork.

On the other hand, a story can have a bunch of really cool ideas and themes and still be boring as paint. I remember one scifi I read about this planet of goo beings by Asimov that I just. could. not. care about.

On a slightly different note, I really love reading about everyone else's little awesome or hilarious anecdotes. Just today, I got ambushed by an Armored Cyclops near Heavenspeak Fort (the one with the man-hating bandit lady). I struck it with lightning, and broke off a tusk. It stood there looking like someone just spilled coke on its prom dress, then flipped its poo poo and rampaged right off the side of a cliff. And took one of my rental pawns with him, because DD is a cruel mistress.

Drizvolta posted:

Nothing is just a friendship in Dragon's Dogma :v:
Do...both of those happen regardless of gender? And can both of those happen in the same game? I genuinely have no idea how romances are supposed to work in this game, because I am a terminal explorer and would rather wander the countryside rather than save the world from El Draco Hispanico.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Golems can't have their weak point on the bottom of their foot, that's cheating.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Samurai Sanders posted:

Golems can't have their weak point on the bottom of their foot, that's cheating.
I...thought that was normally where it is every time? Are the golem weak points random?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Veyrall posted:

I...thought that was normally where it is every time? Are the golem weak points random?
Oh I dunno, I have only seen two, I don't think the other one did. Maybe it got destroyed right away and I didn't notice? I was busy climbing around on its head most of the time because I was an assassin then, but I'm a mystic knight now.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Veyrall posted:

Do...both of those happen regardless of gender? And can both of those happen in the same game? I genuinely have no idea how romances are supposed to work in this game, because I am a terminal explorer and would rather wander the countryside rather than save the world from El Draco Hispanico.

There's no gender restrictions on any of that. Also I saw some posts from a fellow who had two people move into his house, though in that situation how the game decides who to pick for the ending, no idea

Affinity as a whole seems poorly documented, even the guide just goes "raise affinity with gifts and quests!".

Incidentally regarding the guide, the chests do the loot table roll for the item inside them as they are opened, so you can save scum for the rarer loot. I'm not going to do that cause that's tedious

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

Ledneh posted:

My definition has always been "should be in a 3d sonic game" so yeah, butt rock. :colbert:

Son, you're hanging on the edge of tomorrow. You really should live and learn.

Anyone interested in sharing any good goon pawn moments?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Anyone have a list of what all the pawn inclinations are and what they mean?

e: also wow every weapon buff except for fire and lightning is awful on staffs.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 09:42 on May 27, 2012

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

tooooooo bad posted:

Anyone have a list of what all the pawn inclinations are and what they mean?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/626515-dragons-dogma/62861481

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Lotish posted:

It took a lot of time and money (mostly in the form of raiding the Quarry and sequence breaking the Water God's Altar), but we've got the full Berserk set. Desdemona (middle left) is rocking the Gryphic Victory because I haven't been able to find the materials to upgrade the Thousandlimbs. Guest starring Mercedes as a tramp and Scarlet as a jawa.

I'll have you know Mercedes ended her days as a trollop and is now a respectable awesomely dressed death machine. That means everyone should hire her. Gt is Church of Raven

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

Count Uvula posted:

On a different note:
The arrival of the dragon at the end of the greatwall quest is awesome. For some reason I really like the dragon, he just seems so gentlemanly when he's talking to you.

Ending spoiler That would possibly be because he is an Arisen who failed to dethrone the Seneschal. You die to the Seneschal, you become The Dragon for the next Arisen to kill.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Since I changed my pawn Marcus (has anyone hired him? he has long flowing locks and a goatee) to a ranger, his performance reviews have been way down. Maybe it's unavoidable when you change someone from a magic class to a non-magic class or vice versa.

By the way does anyone own a pawn named Red, who doesn't wear much clothes but has a really big hammer? For some reason I always see her wandering around town.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:07 on May 27, 2012

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Did you get rid of her daggers so she has to use her bow, Sanders? I imagine the targeting priorities make a big difference, too, for archers. Not that I could say which would be best-- challenger, maybe?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Since I changed my pawn Marcus (has anyone hired him? he has long flowing locks and a goatee) to a ranger, his performance reviews have been way down. Maybe it's unavoidable when you change someone from a magic class to a non-magic class or vice versa.

Don't try to figure out why people are/aren't renting your pawn, there's literally no logic to it. My level 27 warrior has been rented out like 2-3 times by people for a grand total of ~1,000 RC, never gotten any items or comments, and is rated 3 stars in everything. My level 4 fighter pawn on my other account that is literally the default player model with the default gear (because I just made it to try sending items back and forth) has been rented out about a dozen times, has 4 stars in everything, and has earned that account about 50,000 RC.

People are weird.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

It might have to do with one showing up in that random selection of level-appropriate pawns you get when you go to the rift? v:confused:v

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
Do I answer yes or no to this question to get my pawn to say less stuff:

"I try to speak or remain silent as the situation demands. Would you have me continue this way?"

edit: It seems the answer was "No".

Also, does the amount of stuff I'm carrying effect my stamina or anything like that?

Tgent fucked around with this message at 11:11 on May 27, 2012

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
How much does the stuff for sale improve when you do main quests? How many do I have to do before it improves? I'm starting some now for the knight for the first time at level 25 and I'm still using the magic bow from the shop fully enhanced because I've not found anything better yet. I'm looking forward to wiping out full groups of goblins with a single hunter bolt.

I've only got 2 bow skills currently since I don't really like the look of the ricochet shot or flare shot. I kind of wish I could get some form of full bend that I still got to aim since I love knocking people off cliffs using it as a strider. I'll have to wait for explosive shot.

Also what augments would people recommend for magic archer? I think I need to change classes for a while to pick some up

Jose fucked around with this message at 11:04 on May 27, 2012

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Scott Bakula posted:

How much does the stuff for sale improve when you do main quests? How many do I have to do before it improves? I'm starting some now for the knight for the first time at level 25 and I'm still using the magic bow from the shop fully enhanced because I've not found anything better yet. I'm looking forward to wiping out full groups of goblins with a single hunter bolt.

I've only got 2 bow skills currently since I don't really like the look of the ricochet shot or flare shot. I kind of wish I could get some form of full bend that I still got to aim since I love knocking people off cliffs using it as a strider. I'll have to wait for explosive shot.

Also what augments would people recommend for magic archer? I think I need to change classes for a while to pick some up

Flare Shot is amazing for when you're trying to reach a rest area at night and can't see what you're fighting.

Strider has some decent Augments, mostly stamina related stuff. And I think sorcerer has +magic damage.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I've got the strider stamina augments, I'll have a look at the mage/sorcerer ones.

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009
This game.

I started the mission where you had to retake the fort from the goblin chieftain. There's this one part where you're supposed to avoid a large battle, grab a lever, plug it into a switch and open the gates so the Duke's soldiers can swarm in and help you clear out the enemy. Thing is...I didn't notice the little side area with the lever, so I ended up rushing headfirst into a courtyard swarming with goblins.

It was me and three pawns (including, I think, Zereth's) in a midnight battle against two cyclops and an army of goblins. Ice spikes, bolts of lightning and freaking meteors flew everywhere while the melee units hacked away at the cyclops' knees and explosive arrows rained from the sky.

By the time the fight was finally over, the sun had started to rise. The only thing missing was a bard singing about the battle in the tavern a week later...

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Tgent posted:

Do I answer yes or no to this question to get my pawn to say less stuff:

"I try to speak or remain silent as the situation demands. Would you have me continue this way?"

edit: also, does the amount of stuff I'm carrying effect my stamina or anything like that?

Yes makes him more verbose, no makes him shut up.

I kind of feel like inclination is becoming the most important part of selecting pawns. While a Fighter and a Ranger both with Guardian inclination (protects the Arisen) maybe sounds like a good idea, in practice they kind of don't attack much. Like ever. Having them both hang out right next to you is beneficial and cool in a way, but not when you're trying to kill an Ogre and they're just standing near you and not attacking.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Where can I get an elemental archstaff? Will one become available after some story quests?

Myriad
Apr 26, 2010
After awhile you should be able to buy some at the main equipment store.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Thought so, I'll get done with the story quests then

Malachite
Mar 2, 2004

VDay posted:

Don't try to figure out why people are/aren't renting your pawn, there's literally no logic to it. My level 27 warrior has been rented out like 2-3 times by people for a grand total of ~1,000 RC, never gotten any items or comments, and is rated 3 stars in everything. My level 4 fighter pawn on my other account that is literally the default player model with the default gear (because I just made it to try sending items back and forth) has been rented out about a dozen times, has 4 stars in everything, and has earned that account about 50,000 RC.

People are weird.

People seem to mostly only want fighters or mages. I'd mostly get 3 star ratings with a near perfect warrior pawn that I dumped a ton of points into. When I switch to a half assed fighter that isn't even using mastered skills, I start getting 5 star ratings.

My friend has his pawn in the top 20 or so, and he always changes his pawn to fighter before resting at an inn, because its one of the most desired classes. He has over 8 million RC and gets constant friend requests, so apparently its working. Though he also puts a ton of effort into him and pretty much perfected the AI & best skills for that AI.

Strider/ranger pawns can be awesome but most of them just don't seem to perform that well and its really difficult to find a good one. I haven't changed mine to one of those classes yet so I've yet to find a good combo for them. But looking at the details of the pawns I've hired, most people are playing various strider classes themselves. So its mostly tanks, mages & sorcerors that they want.

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009

tooooooo bad posted:

Yes makes him more verbose, no makes him shut up.

I kind of feel like inclination is becoming the most important part of selecting pawns. While a Fighter and a Ranger both with Guardian inclination (protects the Arisen) maybe sounds like a good idea, in practice they kind of don't attack much. Like ever. Having them both hang out right next to you is beneficial and cool in a way, but not when you're trying to kill an Ogre and they're just standing near you and not attacking.

Weird thing is, as a Mage/Sorcerer, I've found Guardian works great as a Secondary skill. If the Primary is something like Scather, then the pawn actually engages the enemy. Then, if one of them targets the PC, the pawn usually intercepts them before they get too close.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Needs More Jazz posted:

It was me and three pawns (including, I think, Zereth's)
Short but not very short, black hair, constantly talks about how awesome she is?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Needs More Jazz posted:

Weird thing is, as a Mage/Sorcerer, I've found Guardian works great as a Secondary skill. If the Primary is something like Scather, then the pawn actually engages the enemy. Then, if one of them targets the PC, the pawn usually intercepts them before they get too close.

That's interesting, I might try that with my main pawn.

Like to know any other good inclination combinations that people have stumbled across. They make all the difference in the world.

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009

Zereth posted:

Short but not very short, black hair, constantly talks about how awesome she is?

That'd be the one. You should be proud. She both kept the party healed and kept the cyclops stun-locked with lightning so I had time to throw out the big 'kill-em-all' spells.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Can you get some sort of mount because holy poo poo it takes forever to reach different areas, I don't mind that much but when I have multiple quests that take me to the far corners of the world, it gets old fast.

Nighttime should be renamed, "Can't see poo poo time" I do like the fact that stronger beasties roam the world, but I don't like getting constantly jumped by millions of Wolves and Zombies who spawn outside behind a tree I can't see, even with everyone holding a lantern its still hard to see what's happening.

Other than this though, its great fun.

Verror
May 10, 2012

So the best thing just happened in The Everfall. I was fighting the first Ogre, and after a fairly long battle, he ended up frenzy-ing himself off the edge of the path, while I was mounted on his back. We plummeted for a couple floors before I jumped off blindly behind myself, just barely catching the edge of the stone path and planche-ing onto it. Thus cementing this game in my memories forever.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
My copy hasnt arrived yet, but I'm curious about the hair style dlc, can you check them out anywhere?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I think I've bugged the eviction quest by attacking jasper. Whenever he spawns now he runs away from me until he reaches a wall and then vanishes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Honest Thief posted:

My copy hasnt arrived yet, but I'm curious about the hair style dlc, can you check them out anywhere?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/626514-dragons-dogma/62881341

• Locked thread