Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rose Booties
May 16, 2004

Attn: I am suit
I've been a fan of Fallout since the first game came out and I just finished Dead Money for the first time and wow, I couldn't have been more satisfied with it. Went in with a level 14 pro-legion melee-focused character that I wasn't allowing to use stimpacks, and while it was a pretty tough slog (especially in some of the speaker-intensive areas), excellent story and atmosphere and frequent quick-saves kept me going. Elijah was an amazing character with a perfectly matched voice actor, and Dean wasn't too far close behind him quality-wise.

Can't wait to go through it again with a science/lockpick/energy weapon character to flush out the rest of the story now that I know my way around the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

SplitSoul posted:

You're playing the game wrong if you haven't spent the aftermath of a particularly hairy battle chopping every limb and the head off of an enemy, covered in blood and screaming at the sky. :black101:

Oh, come on. Nobody does that. Sensible people pick up corpses with the Z button and use them as punching bags. :black101: When the first one splatters, you drop it and pick up another, Captain America style.

Also, on the topic of Dead Money, I find it a lot easier to go in at a low level; say, five or under. The ghost people have far fewer hit points and go down before they get a chance to do a lot of harm.

Ungrateful Dead
May 13, 2012

Knocking at Paranoia's Poision Door

SplitSoul posted:

You're playing the game wrong if you haven't spent the aftermath of a particularly hairy battle chopping every limb and the head off of an enemy, covered in blood and screaming at the sky. :black101:

Guess I've been playing the game right then.

I like to pretend I'm some serial killer, who chops the hands off of all of his victims, but never any of the other limbs. It gets pretty interesting trying to make sure I don't dismember another limb by accident. No explosives, no rapid-fire guns, no bloody mess (obviously,) no energy weapons (also fairly obvious,) and no melee during combat.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Pound_Coin posted:

Oh god I'm only lvl 12 and I keep getting attacked by squads of legion assasins every 5 minutes, as much as I like free super sledges, they're pretty tough and utter bullet sponges.

You're running into the bug where the lowest level assassins have the best armor, rendering them more difficult than the ones you'll face at higher level. It's fixed by this mod: http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/43030

My first encounter with Legion assassins at level 10 just outside of Primm was the hardest battle I've had in New Vegas. Multiple tries until I finally got lucky and blew them up before I blew myself up.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Merry Magpie posted:

I've been meaning to ask: which ending do you favor?

Personally, I end up torn between the NCR and Independent endings. I prefer the Independent because it creates an immutable bulwark between the Legion and NCR while simultaneously curbing NCR's imperialist ambitions.
That's the real dilemma, isn't it? It's hard because the ending slides for the Independent ending are vague by necessity. The game doesn't know if you're a benevolent Follower of the Apocalypse, or a drug addled mass-murdering psychopath, so all it can say is that the central authority in Vegas was kind of weak. Which is reasonable.

I think an independent, but NCR-aligned Vegas might be for the best. It would gladly sell all its Hoover Dam energy to the NCR (as was House's plan), and at the same time act as a haven and power base for the Followers of the Apocalypse (the only truly good faction).

The issues that arise from that are some practical ones. It sounds like, even with an army of Securitrons, the Mojave descends into violence without a stronger faction to dominate it all. If you don't wipe out the Brotherhood, they take over Helios and rule a good portion of the Mojave themselves.

You also have to wonder how the NCR would accept something as vital as the Hoover Dam being controlled by a foreign country, no matter how well aligned their interests. Antagonism and perhaps even war might be inevitable, especially in a few generations when who knows who is running your New Vegas city state and the NCR.

You could make a case for a pro-NCR Independent option, but after mulling it over, I think the NCR itself is the best bet.

The NCR might continue on with its imperial ways, but ultimately that may not be such a bad thing in the long run. Once the conquered territories end up being integral parts of the NCR, they'll be much better off overall. More secure, and more prosperous.

And once they have the Hoover Dam, I don't think overextending themselves will be as great an issue. The only reason they were out so far in the Mojave was to secure the Dam. It wasn't greed or hubris that made the Mojave so bad for the NCR, it was just pretty much the worst case scenario for them- they had a vital objective, far away from home, contested by a large well organized military force. I don't see that happening again any time soon! Even if you get another nomadic army as organized and powerful as the Legion, the NCR won't have to fight them on hostile ground again. Pretty much anywhere but the Mojave, the NCR could withdraw from, if need be, and lose a little face, but nothing more. Once they're defending their more established home territory, their infrastructure and industry should make short work of any unsettled army.

I mean, really, the only thing that gives me pause about an unleashed NCR is a story like Hanlon's from Baja California. A lot of people are going to die at the NCR's hands as they expand... but honestly, there's no scenario where a lot of people don't die. Even with an independent New Vegas that tries to hold the status quo, the anarchy and disorder outside of the NV/NCR area will result in people fighting their neighbors, and raiders killing people. At least if the NCR is doing it to conquer other people, those people will be the last who have to die as Civilization advances.

... Wow, that sounded a lot like a justification for Caesar's Legion.

But yeah, if I had to chose, I'd chose the NCR over Independence.

I really wish there was an option to upgrade the Securitrons and then give control of them to the NCR military though. I'm sure there's a lot they could do with a robot army!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Eiba posted:

I really wish there was an option to upgrade the Securitrons and then give control of them to the NCR military though. I'm sure there's a lot they could do with a robot army!

Yeah, like easily dispose of those pesky groups (the Khans, the Kings, the Followers) that oppose them in some way.

The only moral center the NCR has is the Courier's. Everyone in power is either corrupt, incompetent, or both, and constantly tying the hands of the capable below them.

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
I ENJOY TALKING IN CIRCLES AND LEADING THREADS INTO POINTLESS DERAILS. DO NOT RESPOND TO MY POSTS, YOU ARE ONLY ENABLING ME TO CONTINUE BEING AN IDIOT. JUST IGNORE ME, PLEASE.

Wolfsheim posted:

Everyone in power is either corrupt, incompetent, or both, and constantly tying the hands of the capable below them.

:patriot:

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.
The main problem I have with the Independent ending is the fact that there is limited infrastructure in place to support it beyond Vegas itself. For example, the Followers find themselves faced with an increasingly "unstable and violent" Mojave and without the resources "to provide even the most basic of services."

If left alive, the BoS will become far more aggressive in patrolling the Mojave and harrying travelers for technology. Ideally, they'll provide a semblance of order to the roads at the cost of another fiefdom on Vegas' doorstep.

This is completely ignoring the potential chaos if the Courier fails to personally eliminate leftover threats such as the Fiends or Powder Gangers.

While the Independent ending has notable flaws, it forces NCR to withdraw and consolidate while also discrediting the warhawks. Considering the massive army of mechanized death, a return to Tandi's original diplomatic policy, allowing territories to join of their own volition, is the easier course rather than forcible annexation.

While I agree that the NCR is the best hope for civilization in setting, the NCR's expansion has outpaced its infrastructure. Troops are poorly armed, coordinated, and trained. Examples of each can be found in Forlorn Hope, Ranger Station Charlie, and Camp Golf. NCR needs time to consolidate its position. Time it will not get if it supports further expansion. All that will happen is throw more lives away. Regardless, Freeside and the King's ending show that the Mojave's citizens are already angry with the NCR, and the independent ending would ideally head off that struggle.

There's also the personal enjoyment I derive from imagining Hanlon's political campaign, and Kimball facing the blow-back over the Mojave.

That being said, I always enjoyed the irony of Caesar's Legion. Edward Sallow believes himself akin to Caesar and founding a new Roman Empire. Instead, his army is closer to the invading barbarian hordes of the Vandals, Visigoths, et al. that gradually destroyed the original.

Whoever included that subtext should be proud.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Welp, knew I forgot to back something up when I reformatted. There go 55 hours of New Vegas. If it were any other game I'd be pretty bummed but I am psyched to play through it all again as a melee character as soon as I get bored of Diablo 3. Should I do a Legion run, a House run or a "gently caress all 'yall" run this time?

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
I ENJOY TALKING IN CIRCLES AND LEADING THREADS INTO POINTLESS DERAILS. DO NOT RESPOND TO MY POSTS, YOU ARE ONLY ENABLING ME TO CONTINUE BEING AN IDIOT. JUST IGNORE ME, PLEASE.
Anyone have a list of good mods I definitely need to have?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Kashew posted:

If nothing else, get CASM. It just autosaves every few minutes. You will wonder how you ever got along without CASM.

Also, there's very little music, and you're going to hear the same songs over and over, so why not hear more of them? Mojave Music Radio Extended, Extended New Vegas Radio, and CONELRAD 640-1240 all have tons of good stuff.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

robot roll call posted:

Welp, knew I forgot to back something up when I reformatted. There go 55 hours of New Vegas. If it were any other game I'd be pretty bummed but I am psyched to play through it all again as a melee character as soon as I get bored of Diablo 3. Should I do a Legion run, a House run or a "gently caress all 'yall" run this time?

As a melee, I would recommend a pro-Legion run until you decide to accidentally nuke everybody in Lonesome Road.

It is surprisingly cathartic to play an idiot with 1 Int who bumbles their way through the Mojave.

Merry Magpie fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 27, 2012

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Kashew posted:

The OP of the Modding thread has a lot of interesting stuff, if you're willing to dig through it.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
New Vegas doesn't really have any must-have mods. However, I'd still recommend at least CASM for rotated auto-saves and the Project Nevada core package for some really needed UI improvements (grenade hotkey, better inventory organization etc.). Project Nevada also adds some new features like sprinting, but fortunately it's very modular, so you can easily turn off features you don't want.

If you're a Fallout veteran, I'd also recommend our very own J.E. Sawyer's (rope kid on the forums, the lead designer of the game) bug fix & difficulty tweak mod, even for your first playthrough.

Smol fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 27, 2012

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I just finished a House run, and some morally ambigous events aside (seriously House, why did you wipe out the Kings?) - I feel like I backed the right horse.

The best part of the game is killing Ceasar, putting on his outfit and sitting on his throne - it's the most :smug: feeling in the game.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Do you guys have cool stories of finding out some cool poo poo that you never found before in your recent playthroughs? This game is so full of small, cool stuff that I'd like to hear if you guys have anything.
Things I've seen on my previous playthrough that I didn't know previously:

-The NCR trooper in Boulder City will get pissed at you if you shoot at (or just shoot nearby?) the monument for the fallen NCR soldiers.

-You can talk to Snuffles in Sloan and heal his leg if you have sufficient Medicine skill for a small NCR rep boost.

-There are some unique dialogue lines if you are currently high on a drug. For example, if you're under the influence of drugs in Old World Blues and speak with Mobius, when he offers you a Mentat there is a dialogue line basically saying "I don't know, I'm tripping pretty hard right now."

-You can belittle Ulysses manhood in Lonesome Road if you're a female supporting the Legion and have the Black Widow perk.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Leinadi posted:

-You can belittle Ulysses manhood in Lonesome Road if you're a female supporting the Legion and have the Black Widow perk.

Going to start Lonesome Road right now. :colbert:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Leinadi posted:

-The NCR trooper in Boulder City will get pissed at you if you shoot at (or just shoot nearby?) the monument for the fallen NCR soldiers.

This little snippet also contains the best line of courier dialogue in the game. I think it's something along the lines of "your brother was a little bitch, just like you."

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Are there any speech check failures that lead to different skill checks, or easier checks? I really like some of the failure dialogue (e.g. Dr Klein saying, well, everything that he says), but it sucks that you basically never hear it unless you're just dicking around.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Merry Magpie posted:

As a melee, I would recommend a pro-Legion run until you decide to accidentally nuke everybody in Lonesome Road.

It is surprisingly cathartic to play an idiot with 1 Int who bumbles their way through the Mojave.

That's what I was thinking, a big dumb fascist brick. Any advice on stats and weapons to look for?

speransky
Jul 29, 2006

AV-IN to AV-OUT
AV-OUT to AV-IN

robot roll call posted:

That's what I was thinking, a big dumb fascist brick. Any advice on stats and weapons to look for?

You can find Chance's Knife in a grave just north of Goodsprings. It's a combat knife, so it gains damage bonuses from both the Cowboy and Grunt perks. With both of those perks its DPS is comparable to Oh Baby, and you can pick it up at level one. You can get Knock Knock from the Camp Searchlight fire station pretty early on too.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

robot roll call posted:

If you've got GRA, get Pyromaniac and Piercing Strike and then buy a Gehenna from the merchant outside of New Vegas. Everything except Yao Guais die in a few slashes of that thing. You can also get Protonic Inversal Axes from Old World Blues at a very early level (I think I was 7 or 8 when I went in) if you can carefully kick the rear end of a Lobotomite that has one.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Penguingo posted:

Are there any speech check failures that lead to different skill checks, or easier checks? I really like some of the failure dialogue (e.g. Dr Klein saying, well, everything that he says), but it sucks that you basically never hear it unless you're just dicking around.

You don't get penalised for listening to the funny dialogue, you get the same options afterwards. So go for it!

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Penguingo posted:

I think it would've been much nicer if the skill requirements weren't shown before picking the dialogue option so you couldn't know in advance if you're going to succeed or fail. Then they could just display the result in the NPC response as they do now. Actually I wonder if there's a mod for that, would be nice to have for my second playthrough whenever I get around to it. Gonna take a quick look.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Penguingo posted:

I remember seeing at least one skill check like this, but unfortunately, I can't remember where it was.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

robot roll call posted:

Here's a fairly straightforward critical build:
Str 5-->6 +1 from implant, +2 from Blues, +1/2 from Power Armor
Per 5-->5 +1 from implant for Better Criticals
Luck 5-->9 +1 from implant
Endur 5-->9 +1 from implant
Agi 5-->9 +1 from implant
Int 5-->1 +1 from implant
Cha 5-->1 +1 from implant

Final Stats with T-45d Armor:
Str 9(10)
Per 6
Luck 10
End 10
Agi 10(8)
Int 2
Cha 2

Although if you want to min-max, you could always take the Small Frame trait aiming for Eye for Eye and put another point into strength. This is of course skipping over the Early Bird/Claustrophobic traits.

On a related note, Elijah's Ramblings is a very useful perk for this build.

Penguingo posted:

Or playing a Courier suffering the aftereffects of a bullet to the brain.

Merry Magpie fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 27, 2012

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

My favorite "insufficient skill" dialog choice will always be "I know a lot about medicology!"

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Man Whore posted:

My favorite "insufficient skill" dialog choice will always be "I know a lot about medicology!"

You forgot the one where you tell Veronica "I heard the Brotherhood shoots lasers out of their eyes".

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

Merry Magpie posted:

Or playing a Courier suffering the aftereffects of a bullet to the brain.

I've decided to play a cannibal anarchist courier. He doesn't speak to well anymore so I'm expecting a lot of shooting. I want to double cross the NCR whenever possible before turning on Ceaser.

Beaumont
Dec 12, 2011

Glare Seethe posted:

I think it would've been much nicer if the skill requirements weren't shown before picking the dialogue option so you couldn't know in advance if you're going to succeed or fail.

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/40285

He's made it for all the DLCs, too. It removes all the skill notifications and Success/Failure indications. Not sure if it's mod friendly. I actually used to know the guy who made it, and he's one of the most insufferable Fallout fanatics on the planet. But it's exactly what you're looking for!

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Beaumont posted:

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/40285

He's made it for all the DLCs, too. It removes all the skill notifications and Success/Failure indications. Not sure if it's mod friendly. I actually used to know the guy who made it, and he's one of the most insufferable Fallout fanatics on the planet. But it's exactly what you're looking for!

Awesome, I actually looked for a mod like this after posting but somehow didn't find this one. Thanks! Would've been even better if the Success/Failure indications were kept in, personally, just so you know when your skills are being used, but I guess you can't have everything.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

Yeah, like easily dispose of those pesky groups (the Khans, the Kings, the Followers) that oppose them in some way.

The only moral center the NCR has is the Courier's. Everyone in power is either corrupt, incompetent, or both, and constantly tying the hands of the capable below them.

The moral center of the NCR is probably Hsu, since he's such a good person that he even beats himself up for endangering his men in front of the Courier. Then again, it's sort of telling that the sole piece of post-hoover material I've seen involves Hsu being totally marginalized in favor of the bloodthirsty Moore.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

Raw_Beef posted:

Dead money tries to limit the player's resources, but you can also get some seriously powerful items from the Seirra Madre dispensers, if you can get the right codes. To get the codes you will need a lockpick of at least 75. A higher speech is pretty useful as well for the companions.

This was the only DLC that really required at least a level 20 char to be anything but torture. I did it at 14 and it was bad.

Also since you only get the one chance to go through the Sierra Madre you may want to save before you leave the villa, and check some walkthroughs for the locations of special items or codes you might have missed. It would suck to not get the stimpack and ammo codes for the dispensers. I didnt know untill my 2nd playthrough that the real treasure isnt the gold bars, its the 20k pre war money worth 200k caps and weight zero, that the holovendors have in their merchant screen.

Can you explain this a bit more? How do I get that much pre-war money?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Argali posted:

You can exchange chips for pre-war money in the casino.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Best glitch I've ever had is when I was wandering around outside Jacobstown alone, when suddenly spawned out of nowhere, then started the dialogue for the end of her quest (which I'd already done), before running away...straight down a cliff. When I chekced, Cass was still waiting at the outpost. It was pretty :psyduck:

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.

Argali posted:

Its pretty simple. You can find several hologram merchants in the villa or casino. They have almmost nothing but pre war money in their inventory. You sell them everything you can find in exchange for pre war money. Its impossible to carry enough valuables to get it all at once, so youve got to do it in a few increments.
It was painful to do on xbox, i dont know if pc allows you to type in the number of items you want out of a merchant's stack. If not, it involves a lot of scrolling down from 20,000 to whatever amount you can afford to trade for.
Still in the end its weightless and worth 4 times the gold.

There is also if you break the casino or whatever by maxing out on the winnings limit, a chest back in the abandoned bos bunker in the mojave that spawns 1000 madre chips a day, with a madre dispenser right there.

Dead money has the potential to set you up as a total boss, just make sure to get the codes.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Well all of my PC New Vegas saves were deleted sometime in the 3-4 months I had neglected to play this game. Anyone think they might know what happened?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Well all of my PC New Vegas saves were deleted sometime in the 3-4 months I had neglected to play this game. Anyone think they might know what happened?

I stole them.

They should be in C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\My Games\FalloutNV\Saves. Steam Cloud support was disabled in the first few patches, so if they aren't there, they're probably gone.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I tend to disable Steam Cloud, it ate a couple of Arkham Asylum saves and I haven't had a HDD failure in years (watch every HDD I own explode now).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

So random question and I'm not sure if anyone has encountered this but lately in game the background music (not the radio) plays for 10-15 seconds then starts popping? I guess would be the best way to describe it, and then goes back to normal for 10-15 seconds before repeating it. Its like theres skips in the audio, and they're really loving annoying. Anyone encountered this?

The Logitech audio software my headset (G930) runs already causes problems with the radio music not playing because of some mp3 codec so I have to shut that off as well. Could this be further lovely Logitech issues?

edit: Strangely enough while I was tabbed out typing this, it didn't do it at all, but once I tabbed back in, it immediately began again.