Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Aries posted:

Nope, still an empty house. I need to trigger some 'chasing shadows' quest, but I've no idea how.

Oh, that quest! Mason, that dude who first talks to you when you visit Gran Soren, will give you that quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

So regarding the dragon, WAS I supposed to let the person get sacrificed? The dragon is kind of kicking my rear end like nothing I have fought in the game before. I mean, story-wise I'm sure that's the way it's supposed to be but still...

I'm in this position too. He's pretty good at interrupting my spell casting and messing up my pawns beacuse he's so goddamn big

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Mokinokaro posted:

This is happening with my healbot pawn as well. Ever since she hit 20 she's being hired less and less despite getting better skills and AI.

I just hired her, then died and lost my progress, and hired her again. :shobon:

Incidentally, moose king, when Orion gets back to you, can you tell me if he has a gold ore or a curious wine or both? I dismissed him and gave him the gold ore, then reloaded a save and gave him the wine. I'm curious which one took.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Tufty posted:

If there are people getting burnt out after 10 hours they should feel pretty stupid. That far into the game you've only seen a fraction of the enemies and an even smaller proportion of the skills and gear. The whole point of DD is fighting cool monsters with cool skills while dressed up in pretty awesome stuff!

Look, I absolutely love the game, but calling people stupid for not liking a game like this doesn't make any sense. If you've spent 10 hours with Dragon's Dogma and not seen how people with different tastes would get sick of it, then you've probably been so drawn in by all the things the game does so right that you aren't taking the time to consider how the things it does wrong are absolutely deal breakers for a lot of people.

It's very much a balance, and for me the good outweighs the bad, but none of my friends would feel that getting to see more enemies and skills would be worth sinking more time into this game. Most of my friends are super busy and have careers, so choosing to spend their sparse gaming time with something like this or something like Diablo 3 or a more focused game like Dark Souls is a bit of a no-brainer unless this is exactly the sort of game they were looking for (like it is with me).

Sumac fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 28, 2012

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Scott Bakula posted:

For people who've done the shadowfort I need help. I opened the gate but both balistas at the far side were active, killed the healer repeatedly because instead of following me downstairs insisted on trying to loving heal me so kept getting smashed. I failed to rout the goblins as a result. How will this impact the quest since I'll likely restart and how do I deal with those balistas? They smashed the one facing them before I could get a decent shot off

I wish there was an easier way to return to your last save in the game than dropping out entirely

Kill the goblins that start near the soldiers as fast as you can, and run to the far wall, where the ballistas can't shoot you. Don't stand in one spot if you hear the ballistas fire. Keep hammering the "Follow" command.

Just ignore the ballistas. Don't even bother trying to shoot back at them, there are two of them and they can aim far easier than you can. Run between cover like you're playing an actual war game.

Dying lets you load your save faster than backing out to the menu.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

DrManiac posted:

I'm in this position too. He's pretty good at interrupting my spell casting and messing up my pawns beacuse he's so goddamn big
Also is it possible to climb to the dragon's heart and attack it? I grabbed onto its leg but couldn't seem to navigate to its chest, the camera got all hosed anyway. Basically I don't see how I can win with my current equipment and skills and stuff, it has eight life bars or whatever and I managed to get half of one off before being charred.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Aries posted:

Nope, still an empty house. I need to trigger some 'chasing shadows' quest, but I've no idea how.

Find Mason in the fountain square. Black guy wearing a reddish pink top, heavy accent.

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.

Tufty posted:

Find Mason in the fountain square. Black guy wearing a reddish pink top, heavy accent.

Shiiiit, is he the guy who asks you to murder the Salvation dude?. If so, I didn't, so we parted ways.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

AHAHAHAH! YES!!! I decided to go back to Ur-Dragon to fight it online with this "Welp, time to go grind" attitude, only to be surprised as he spawned in at 0% health. Cue me and my pawns frantically trying to hit each spot once, wrapping that up in 15 seconds.

Thank you so much, people on the internet. Now to begin my new life as Fantasy Albert Wesker and change my pawn into Jill Valentine.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Rascyc posted:

Yes your pawns must be female too. Had to put a bunch of dude's in dresses. I've read some people juts throw their male pawns off the cliff edge prior to going up as well.

Note that once you get their loyalty, you don't have to dress like a female. Haven't tried bringing male pawns though.

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...

Policenaut posted:

AHAHAHAH! YES!!! I decided to go back to Ur-Dragon to fight it online with this "Welp, time to go grind" attitude, only to be surprised as he spawned in at 0% health. Cue me and my pawns frantically trying to hit each spot once, wrapping that up in 15 seconds.

Thank you so much, people on the internet. Now to begin my new life as Fantasy Albert Wesker and change my pawn into Jill Valentine.

Post pics please!

Aries posted:

Shiiiit, is he the guy who asks you to murder the Salvation dude?. If so, I didn't, so we parted ways.

Yep.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Aries posted:

Yeah, but I thought he gave you the quest to follow the guy who ends up at Madeleine's shop before you do what you did in the catacombs. Maybe you can sequence break it if you do the 'investigate a cult' Wyrm hunt quest before you do 'chasing shadows' (if indeed that is the one where you follow the blonde night and end up at Madeleine's shop)

Edit: Speaking of that guy (and Mercedes) [spoiler]are they just not in the game once he and Mercedes duel in the Windbluff tower? It felt like I did that quest and then fought the dragon soon after and that whole storyline ended super abruptly. Maybe something different would have happened if I'd intervened in the duel?[\spoiler]

Tufty fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 28, 2012

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Ok what the hell do I do for The Cypher? I've visited the forger and then nothing has been possible every other time I've been in gran soren

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Rascyc posted:

Yes your pawns must be female too. Had to put a bunch of dude's in dresses. I've read some people juts throw their male pawns off the cliff edge prior to going up as well.

Did you upgrade the heal?

The upgraded heal takes an eternity to cast and your healers will lag behind all the time. The cast time increase on sorcerer helps a bit with this. It's too bad you can't downgrade the heal.

Crap I did. Welp she was going sorceror for the augments anyways

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Scott Bakula posted:

Ok what the hell do I do for The Cypher? I've visited the forger and then nothing has been possible every other time I've been in gran soren

There's some guy around town with a quest marker over his head who tells you of a place that might be worth investigating [spoiler]a figure carved into a hill north of Gran Soren and Windbluff Tower. It's called Hillfigure Knoll. You should be able to see it as you approach from the south, and you definitely will if you stand on Windbluff Tower and look north.[\spoiler]

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Policenaut posted:

Read that as Fat Albert Wesker, now I'm slightly disappointed. :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Think I'm going to restart, I'm in way over my head at where I am and I'm only a few hours in anyway. Give me a chance to do my pawn and I's appearance right, too.

Just so I know, how far in to the game do I have to progress before I'm given freedom to do whatever? Feels like it's either the rift stone at the encampment, or getting the delivery to gran soren done.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Ciaphas posted:

Think I'm going to restart, I'm in way over my head at where I am and I'm only a few hours in anyway. Give me a chance to do my pawn and I's appearance right, too.

Just so I know, how far in to the game do I have to progress before I'm given freedom to do whatever? Feels like it's either the rift stone at the encampment, or getting the delivery to gran soren done.

Once you get your main pawn, you want to run back to the first town and do as many sidequests as you can find.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Tufty posted:

There's some guy around town with a quest marker over his head who tells you of a place that might be worth investigating a figure carved into a hill north of Gran Soren and Windbluff Tower. It's called Hillfigure Knoll. You should be able to see it as you approach from the south, and you definitely will if you stand on Windbluff Tower and look north.

Any idea where I find him? He's never showing up on my minimap

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also is it possible to climb to the dragon's heart and attack it? I grabbed onto its leg but couldn't seem to navigate to its chest, the camera got all hosed anyway. Basically I don't see how I can win with my current equipment and skills and stuff, it has eight life bars or whatever and I managed to get half of one off before being charred.

If you run around the edges of the map there should be some ballistas you can shoot him in the heart with. He will break them with magic/fire if your pawns don't keep him busy though. I think there's like 6 or 8 of them. I managed to knock down a good 3/4 of his health with those and I went in at about level 43, I believe.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Azraden posted:

If you run around the edges of the map there should be some ballistas you can shoot him in the heart with. He will break them with magic/fire if your pawns don't keep him busy though. I think there's like 6 or 8 of them. I managed to knock down a good 3/4 of his health with those and I went in at about level 43, I believe.
Oh, I didn't even see those (who is going to take their eyes off a dragon that is swinging its claws and breathing fire), I will try that next time.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Wow, thank you so much Dogbutt for hooking my pawn up. You are the man!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh, I didn't even see those (who is going to take their eyes off a dragon that is swinging its claws and breathing fire), I will try that next time.

If you're still having trouble with it, are on Xbox, and don't mind backtracking, just hire my mage pawn. He is built around fighting similar enemies right now and should be able to carry you through. I had absolutely no problems with that fight, and I'm pretty sure its mostly because of him.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Scott Bakula posted:

I don't think meeting him is a prerequisite, you should just be able to head north and the game will treat it as though you just found it accidentally by yourself. The guy just says "I don't know much about stone tablets but 'heart', 'scar'? Reminds me of Hillfigure Knoll, to the north." and you get a quest marker up there.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Scott Bakula posted:

Iirc he's running between the three main districts of the city. He goes through the exterior gate in the pawn guild area and sometimes gets stuck on either side of it.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
So how's this game shaping up? I've been pretty busy with work and have been squeezing in Diablo 3 where I can and managed to forget about this game. Diablo hasn't been living up to my expectations and I don't see myself playing it for a long time. My usual judge of games is the post count I see them getting on this forum and this seems to be doing well enough. I saw this a few posts up,

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Look, I absolutely love the game, but calling people stupid for not liking a game like this doesn't make any sense. If you've spent 10 hours with Dragon's Dogma and not seen how people with different tastes would get sick of it, then you've probably been so drawn in by all the things the game does so right that you aren't taking the time to consider how the things it does wrong are absolutely deal breakers for a lot of people.

It's very much a balance, and for me the good outweighs the bad, but none of my friends would feel that getting to see more enemies and skills would be worth sinking more time into this game. Most of my friends are super busy and have careers, so choosing to spend their sparse gaming time with something like this or something like Diablo 3 or a more focused game like Dark Souls is a bit of a no-brainer unless this is exactly the sort of game they were looking for (like it is with me).

and was hoping you (or someone) could expand on what it does wrong. This game looked like a hybrid of Skyrim and Dark Souls and I enjoyed both parts of the demo I played a month, or whenever, ago. I loved the hell out of Dark Souls and everything I saw and played with this game looked great, what does it do wrong? I could read a review or two, but I think people here have a better sense of things than reviewers.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Schubalts posted:

Kill the goblins that start near the soldiers as fast as you can, and run to the far wall, where the ballistas can't shoot you. Don't stand in one spot if you hear the ballistas fire. Keep hammering the "Follow" command.

Just ignore the ballistas. Don't even bother trying to shoot back at them, there are two of them and they can aim far easier than you can. Run between cover like you're playing an actual war game.

Dying lets you load your save faster than backing out to the menu.

You can totally shoot down the other ballistae's exploding arrows with regular ballista arrows. That's how I took care of them. Just keep cool, fire carefully and shoot the poo poo out of them with explosions
Made that quest a cakewalk, it did.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Samurai Sanders posted:

I would also make sure to get Almac. You can climb onto his chest and go to town with it, and his health bar drops like a rock.

If you take the easy way out I don't believe you get to go to the post-game.

Gerpy
Feb 23, 2010
Holy poo poo. Post game is so Drakengard.

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice

Hackan Slash posted:

I would also make sure to get Almac. You can climb onto his chest and go to town with it, and his health bar drops like a rock.

If you take the easy way out I don't believe you get to go to the post-game.

The easy way out is just an achievement/trophy and non-standard game over. It'll give you the retry screen when the cutscene is over.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
This game has made me feel like a creep, so apparantly Symone is my love interest due to her being dragon-napped, I only gave her a few gifts as a way of being nice too!

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

Gerpy posted:

Holy poo poo. Post game is so Drakengard.

... fighter jets and child rapists?

Gerpy
Feb 23, 2010

OK Octopus posted:

... fighter jets and child rapists?

The world going to hell because of a dragon. Or in this case lack of one. Even though it shouldn't matter because I just got attacked by a loving lightning breathing dragon.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Wildtortilla posted:

and was hoping you (or someone) could expand on what it does wrong. This game looked like a hybrid of Skyrim and Dark Souls and I enjoyed both parts of the demo I played a month, or whenever, ago. I loved the hell out of Dark Souls and everything I saw and played with this game looked great, what does it do wrong? I could read a review or two, but I think people here have a better sense of things than reviewers.

It's more like Fable and Dark Souls, and only really Dark Souls because you can get your poo poo wrecked if you do things wrong. The plot is pretty nonsensical, and quests are completely unforgiving because you have one save slot and can't load. You can skip tons of content without knowing it because you go to the wrong place, and have a bunch of quests cancel on you. Some of the classes are more fun than others.

The world is really linear and not nearly as large as the game wants you to think it is. A lot of the length comes from the fact you can't fast travel, so when you're walking everywhere it really does feel large, but it's not. The environments are all also pretty samey. There isn't a lot of content despite being a longer game. Somehow. And apparently NG+ isn't really hard at all, either, so some people are disappointed by it.

There are also some technical issues like lag, screen tearing, and insane character pop in at times.

At the same time I haven't stopped playing this game since I got it and it's rapidly becoming one of my all time favorites.

Judge Tesla posted:

This game has made me feel like a creep, so apparantly Symone is my love interest due to her being dragon-napped, I only gave her a few gifts as a way of being nice too!

A similar thing happened to me! I spent the entire sequence confused out of my loving mind and more than a little horrified.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Okay, here's the clothing gear you get for beating Ur-Dragon online.

This is what I got. I'm not wearing any of the weapons I earned from it though. I got the Staff, Daggers, Mace, and Shield out of it. If anyone on PS3 wants those first three and is willing to trade, just say so here and we can work something out. I really want the Sword and Longsword.

I took everything else off but my sword to show just what it encompasses. I couldn't get the greaves into the picture, but they're the same kind of make as the coat. They stop just a bit short of the knee too. A really neat thing about this outfit is that those black scales actually glow a little, like if you watch and wait for a few seconds they'll pulsate with a reddish hue.

The gear is actually pretty sweet too. Here's the stats for those who are deciding whether or not to go Ur-Dragon hunting. The numbers on the left are at Level 0 and the ones on the right are Level 3.

Siegfried's Mask (Head Armor)
Weight: 0.88 -> 0.75
Defenses: 40 -> 50
Magick Defenses: 34 -> 45

Piercing Resistance: 0% -> 0%
Striking Resistance: 1% -> 1%
Stagger Resistance: 1% -> 1%
Knockdown Resistance: 1% -> 1%
Ice Resistance 3% -> 3%
Holy Resistance 3% -> 6%
Cursed Resistance 10% -> 30%
Petrification Resistance 0% -> 16%

Abyssinal Coat (Torso Armor)
Weight: 3.34 -> 2.84
Defenses: 73 -> 88
Magick Defenses: 66 -> 81

Pierce Resistance: 3% -> 3%
Striking Resistance: 2% -> 2%
Stagger Resistance: 23% -> 23%
Knockdown Resistance: 24% -> 24%
Fire Resistance: 5% -> 11%
Poison Resistance: 21% -> 42%
Silence Resistance: 21% -> 42%
Cursed Resistance: 21% -> 42%

Abyssinal Bracers (Arms Armor)
Weight: 2.43 -> 2.07
Defenses: 49 -> 59
Magick Defenses 43 - 53

Pierce Resistance: 2% -> 2%
Stagger Resistance: 5% -> 5%
Knockdown Resistance: 5% -> 5%
Lightning Resistance: 5% -> 11%
Blindness Resistance: 21% -> 42%
Sleep Resistance: 21% -> 42%
Skill Stifling Resistance: 21% -> 42%

Abyssinal Greaves (Leg Armor)
Weight: 1.36 -> 1.16
Defenses: 54 -> 64
Magick Defenses: 35 -> 45

Pierce Resistance: 1% -> 1%
Stagger Resistance: 19% -> 22%
Knockdown Resistance: 18 -> 21%
Ice Resistance: 5% -> 11%
Torpor Resistance: 21% -> 42%
Possession Resistance: 21% -> 42%
Petrification Resistance: 21% -> 42%

All of this stuff requires Ur-Dragon materials to upgrade and the Level 3 upgrades border into the 300-400k mark for cost alone. My advice? Just bring the stuff with you to the Dragon and get it Dragon Forged because holy poo poo it's roughly 1 million gold plus Ur-Dragon materials to fully upgrade it!

EDIT: I think some of this stuff transforms on upgrade as well. I swear I've seen Siegfried's Mask in gold.

Gerpy
Feb 23, 2010
And now this game is forcing me into a boss fight with A 100 year old man who can barely lift his sword as he shuffles on his arthritis ridden feet to try and kill me.

Little things like this make a game.

I assume I can't just....put him in time out or something? The door's locked but I could probably walk around this room for hours and he wouldn't be able to land a hit on me.

Gerpy fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 28, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Okay, I'm in the post-game now, I guess real dragon's dogma starts here?

edit: why did it have to be Aelinore, she's a jerk!

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 28, 2012

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice
Is the special rift stone in NG+ where you fight the Ur-Dragon offline? And I wouldn't get that sweet-rear end armor unless I fought him in the Everfall?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Judge Tesla posted:

That's amazing, does it show her jumping you by the fireside? My romantic interest totally blindsided me to. I didn't even realize the game had "romance".

Azraden posted:

Is the special rift stone in NG+ where you fight the Ur-Dragon offline? And I wouldn't get that sweet-rear end armor unless I fought him in the Everfall?

It's the same as fighting him in the everfall. To fight the offline version just switch your status in the in-game options menu to offline.

Gerpy posted:

And now this game is forcing me into a boss fight with A 100 year old man who can barely lift his sword as he shuffles on his arthritis ridden feet to try and kill me.

Little things like this make a game.

I assume I can't just....put him in time out or something? The door's locked but I could probably walk around this room for hours and he wouldn't be able to land a hit on me.

They were really channeling the fight with the king from Demon's Souls for that encounter. I think you have to fight him.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
It doesn't seem to matter who you give gifts too, they will be your love interest, age, gender, that doesn't matter here.

• Locked thread