Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Down Right Fierce posted:

Okay, I've got one.
It was an arcade game. It was a third person shooter. There was name entry/character saving (?). It was multiplayer and machines were linked (I remember playing 2player with my friend, no idea if more people could join.) There was a control for movement and a control for aiming and it seemed super weird at the time to have one hand do one and the other do the other. I think one was 4 buttons and the other might have been an arcade stick or something. I think the machine was green or yellow. It was probably about a decade ago if not more that I played it. I think it was a dollar per credit back then. It was in Tennessee (maybe). I want to say you fought enemey soldiers/bosses/ aliens, there was a little bit of platforming and battleground movement/positioning.
I have no idea what it was called.

Anybody?

Was it possibly Sega's Outtrigger? I can't find a cabinet pic.

Edit: http://youtu.be/d8utwhegGrQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Holy poo poo, you made my day bro. Thanks.

Down Right Fierce
Jan 30, 2011

moller posted:

Was it possibly Sega's Outtrigger? I can't find a cabinet pic.

Edit: http://youtu.be/d8utwhegGrQ

That looks like it might be it. I'm operating of decade old memories of the like one time I played it, but that seems to make sense.

duckfarts posted:

Uggghhhhh I think I know what you're talking about; it's an FPS/TPS where you had arcade buttons for WASD style movement and a joystick to aim, had weapons like mortars to completely gib dudes, and a lot of orange dudes in snow bases and sort of a Maximum Force/Area 51 attitude. It came out after stuff like The Grid.

Yup.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

That looks like it might be it. I'm operating of decade old memories of the like one time I played it, but that seems to make sense.

Yup.
This can't be Outtrigger then; not enough attitoooood.

MaverickEX
Mar 18, 2012

Okay, I've got one.
It was an arcade game. It was a third person shooter. There was name entry/character saving (?). It was multiplayer and machines were linked (I remember playing 2player with my friend, no idea if more people could join.) There was a control for movement and a control for aiming and it seemed super weird at the time to have one hand do one and the other do the other. I think one was 4 buttons and the other might have been an arcade stick or something. I think the machine was green or yellow. It was probably about a decade ago if not more that I played it. I think it was a dollar per credit back then. It was in Tennessee (maybe). I want to say you fought enemey soldiers/bosses/ aliens, there was a little bit of platforming and battleground movement/positioning.
I have no idea what it was called.

Anybody?

Was it War: Final Assault? http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=10402

Ungrateful Dead
May 13, 2012

Knocking at Paranoia's Poision Door
Alright, PS1 game, I remember playing a demo for it when I was kid, but never got the games name. Basically you picked either a guy or a girl, and based on the character you got could transform into different animals. It was from a side perspective, though I can't quite recall if it was a platformer or a beat-em up. If it helps, it was on a demo disk with Spyro 3.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Ungrateful Dead posted:

Alright, PS1 game, I remember playing a demo for it when I was kid, but never got the games name. Basically you picked either a guy or a girl, and based on the character you got could transform into different animals. It was from a side perspective, though I can't quite recall if it was a platformer or a beat-em up. If it helps, it was on a demo disk with Spyro 3.
Threads of Fate

Ungrateful Dead
May 13, 2012

Knocking at Paranoia's Poision Door

I thonk that's it. Thanks man.

Ungrateful Dead fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 30, 2012

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

Guesticles posted:

I'm looking for a giant robot combat game from the mid-to-late nineties on the PC that I played at a friends house.

It was a Fighting-Robots game, where you were part of a resistance movement. You fought in Europe/Asia/Australia/Africa, where you were trying to take out assets from the enemy (there were 3 kinds; Power plants, factories, and military bases). They were square icons on a continent map. You'd click on them, and you'd get an intelligence brief about what sort of enemy forces you'd be facing.
You also had bases that might come under attack that you'd need to defend.

There was some story line about the company that developed the mechs (I can't remember the in game term) kept better versions for themselves, then staged a world-wide take over.

I just remember when you switched between continents, it would take you to a "secret base". Europe was "Owl Base" and Asia was "Crab Base". I can't remember Africa or Australia's names.

The game was timed in days, and if you took too long, there was a cut scene where the Corporate dudes kill everyone in the North American resistance base, and then game over.

Reposting with some new info. I came across a post else where where someone gave the base listings

Eagle-Base - North America
Owl-Base - Europe
Dragon-Base - Asia
Lion-Base - Africa
Wolf-Base - Australia
Jaguar-Base - South America

But other than that the game was from around the same time as Xcom, still no name or anything.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
I'm looking for a game released around the 2000 mark. Similar in style to Wipeout, but was using vehicles with huge wheels. As I recall it, it didn't matter which way up your vehicle was, it was drivable from either orientation.
Had Fatboy Slim on the soundtrack.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Guesticles posted:

Reposting with some new info. I came across a post else where where someone gave the base listings

Eagle-Base - North America
Owl-Base - Europe
Dragon-Base - Asia
Lion-Base - Africa
Wolf-Base - Australia
Jaguar-Base - South America

But other than that the game was from around the same time as Xcom, still no name or anything.

This sounds like Metal Marines which had PC and SNES versions that were pretty popular.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Was there an Atari game that was like Karateka... but not really? I remember you could pick up ninja stars off the ground and throw them too. I would be more descriptive, but my memory is foggy now.

I've looked at screenshots of Karateka, but it's not exactly as I remember it. You also fought ninjas I think.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Cyberbob posted:

I'm looking for a game released around the 2000 mark. Similar in style to Wipeout, but was using vehicles with huge wheels. As I recall it, it didn't matter which way up your vehicle was, it was drivable from either orientation.
Had Fatboy Slim on the soundtrack.

Rollcage had fat-wheeled vehicles that worked any way up as well as Soul Surfing by FBS in the music.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

Gromit posted:

Rollcage had fat-wheeled vehicles that worked any way up as well as Soul Surfing by FBS in the music.

Yea that's it! Cheers :D

edit: Oh god, did it really look that bad?

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.
Another year, another post to try to figure this game out.

JfishPirate posted:

I don't remember much of it because I only saw a friend play it, but it was a top-down 2D game, with free movement around the screen. I remember him telling me the Druid was the best character, as he ran around with his Druid through a desert type area, firing magic bolts at various enemies at a pretty fast pace. The screen setup was the game on the left side of the screen, the score and character class(and possibly the title) on the right side. This was a PC game, some time around 1995 or so. The sprites were 8/16 bit quality.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Revitalized posted:

Was there an Atari game that was like Karateka... but not really? I remember you could pick up ninja stars off the ground and throw them too. I would be more descriptive, but my memory is foggy now.

I've looked at screenshots of Karateka, but it's not exactly as I remember it. You also fought ninjas I think.

Ninja Mission? One of the enemies is even called Karateka.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

chairface posted:

This sounds like Metal Marines which had PC and SNES versions that were pretty popular.

sorry, not that one. It was a First-person perspective robot combat game like MechWarrior.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Cyberbob posted:

Yea that's it! Cheers :D

edit: Oh god, did it really look that bad?

Hmm, looks pretty much how I remember it (but lower res in that video), but I also remember it being loads of fun and not lovely at all. I probably last played it about 4 or 5 years ago.
Maybe I need to reinstall it and report back, but who knows if it works under Win7?

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!

Revitalized posted:

This is probably Ninja.

E: After watching Hakkesshu's video, I see it's the same game but seems to have had a different name on the Atari ST. When I played it on the C64 it was just called "Ninja".

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I was talking with a friend, and we started talking about death as a mechanic to progress in a game we both can't remember the name of. It may have been a Flash game or an indie game - a platformer. You would die, and your 'ghost' would go through the level again doing everything you did previously, while you could control your current guy and do whatever. For example, your first guy would go and hold a switch for a few minutes or something, and then you will kill yourself, and then your new guy would run over to a door that was being held open by the ghost of your previous guy holding the switch. Something like that anyway.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Level 5 of Braid is kinda like that. Also Time Slip, that Net Yaroze game with the snails.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

owl_pellet posted:

I was talking with a friend, and we started talking about death as a mechanic to progress in a game we both can't remember the name of. It may have been a Flash game or an indie game - a platformer. You would die, and your 'ghost' would go through the level again doing everything you did previously, while you could control your current guy and do whatever. For example, your first guy would go and hold a switch for a few minutes or something, and then you will kill yourself, and then your new guy would run over to a door that was being held open by the ghost of your previous guy holding the switch. Something like that anyway.

There's no death involved, but this is basically P.B. Winterbottom.

the real blah
Oct 31, 2010

owl_pellet posted:

This sounds exactly like The Company of Myself which is a flash game that took a ton of inspiration from Braid, including a very pretentious story.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

the real blah posted:

This sounds exactly like The Company of Myself which is a flash game that took a ton of inspiration from Braid, including a very pretentious story.

We're thinking this is the one we were talking about - thanks all for the suggestions.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I'm trying to remember the name of a game from the Apogee-era, maybe 1994 or 1995. It was a simple third-person action game where you ran around in a maze-like arena, shooting enemies with machineguns and flamethrowers. Surprisingly, if you divvied up the keys on the keyboard, a second person could play in a crude, co-op style mode on the same screen. For its time, this was a really cool feature. The whole thing wasn't quite an isometric perspective, but it wasn't a side-scroller, either.

A while back, I found an image that I swear comes from the game, but if you reverse-image search it, it turns up nothing:

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a game from the Apogee-era, maybe 1994 or 1995. It was a simple third-person action game where you ran around in a maze-like arena, shooting enemies with machineguns and flamethrowers. Surprisingly, if you divvied up the keys on the keyboard, a second person could play in a crude, co-op style mode on the same screen. For its time, this was a really cool feature. The whole thing wasn't quite an isometric perspective, but it wasn't a side-scroller, either.

A while back, I found an image that I swear comes from the game, but if you reverse-image search it, it turns up nothing:

Looks like cyberdogs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKbvJ4AHtc8

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Hey! That's it. Thank you.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Hey! That's it. Thank you.

No problem.
I played the living hell out of that game when I was a kid, probably the first PC game I played multiplayer too.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Anyone know the name of the game that's a pretty obvious spiritual successor to Tenchu? I'm pretty sure it hasn't been released yet.

Edit: Nevermind, found it. Shinobido 2. It's a Vita exclusive :gonk:

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jun 4, 2012

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Hakkesshu posted:

Anyone know the name of the game that's a pretty obvious spiritual successor to Tenchu? I'm pretty sure it hasn't been released yet.

Edit: Nevermind, found it. Shinobido 2. It's a Vita exclusive :gonk:

It's an old PS2 game, actually. The Vita one is more of a remake.

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009
I only have the barest of information about this one. It was a playstation 1 game, and all I remember is the box art and some info on the case. It had something to do with bounty or treasure hunting, was sci-fi, and the game touted that you might not know who to trust. I think it was from a top down-ish angle (could be wrong) and the art was a line up of fairly anime-ish looking 3d models. They looked rather Final Fantasy 7 if I remember right.

It's not much to go on at all, but it popped into my head recently and it's bugging me to no end.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

There was an old NES game I have memories of my cousin owning and I'm trying to remember... google doesn't seem to be helping.

It was a platformer where you are a kid inside his own dream, I remember bubblegum being a pick-up or possibly the weapon he threw? And I think he could either don a frog suit or ride in a frog's mouth at some point, but otherwise was in bluish pajamas and had messy black hair. I guess it played something like metroid or mega man, but I was like 3 or 4 years old watching other people play at the time, so this is all very hazy.

Anyone have a clue?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Broken Box posted:

There was an old NES game I have memories of my cousin owning and I'm trying to remember... google doesn't seem to be helping.

It was a platformer where you are a kid inside his own dream, I remember bubblegum being a pick-up or possibly the weapon he threw? And I think he could either don a frog suit or ride in a frog's mouth at some point, but otherwise was in bluish pajamas and had messy black hair. I guess it played something like metroid or mega man, but I was like 3 or 4 years old watching other people play at the time, so this is all very hazy.

Anyone have a clue?
Little Nemo: The Dream Master. The game owned

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Pablo Gigante posted:

Little Nemo: The Dream Master. The game owned

Yes it did! Thanks for the fast response, I am getting that game on my phone ASAP.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
You drive a car (maybe one out of 3?) down a straight highway with changing environments, there are enemies and I think you have some sort of weapon on your car. The game might have been freeware or at least was pretty much on every magazine CD at one point. I think there might have been a helicopter at some point in the game.

I know this is vague and therefore a longshot, but also worth a try.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

SEKCobra posted:

You drive a car (maybe one out of 3?) down a straight highway with changing environments, there are enemies and I think you have some sort of weapon on your car. The game might have been freeware or at least was pretty much on every magazine CD at one point. I think there might have been a helicopter at some point in the game.

Quarantine II: The Road Warrior?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlptSPM2adM#t=4m1s

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

SEKCobra posted:

Sounds like a knockoff of Roadblasters.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
It's like Roadblasters, but I think it was 3D (or really good/modern 2D) but only going forward and driving inbetween lanes lanes.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

SEKCobra posted:

It's like Roadblasters, but I think it was 3D (or really good/modern 2D) but only going forward and driving inbetween lanes lanes.
Crime Killer(PSX)? What console are you thinking of?

Also, I loved Quarantine 2: Road Warrior so much - I still have it at home somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
It was on PC

• Locked thread