Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Seems Madeleine was already in Gran Soren thankfully, considering I used a ferrystone and it autosaved. I swear it does it the only times I don't want a save

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Stelas posted:

Spoiler-filled list of quests from the Bradygames guide is here. It doesn't go into detail, pretty much just when the quest's available, the starting location and whoever you talk to to get it.
Interesting if that is the complete list. I have done several quests that are not on that list. Two that come to mind are a chain involving Valmiro in Cassardis. First quest you have to track him around Cassardis, the Encampment, and the Witchwood. Later on, there is a quest to help him gather supplies for a journey. Potent Greenwarish, a lantern, Sour Ambrosial Meat (ugh), and a Pilgrim's Charm. After you lug his gear to a boat, there's a cutscene where you share a drink on the beach.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Perhaps I am just a child but did they seriously name a character "Balsac"?

Also, the Catacombs are like Easytown for Magick Archers. That magical light spell does great damage against undead and Ricochet Hunter stunlocks + owns everything else.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Flame112 posted:

Also, the Catacombs are like Easytown for Magick Archers. That magical light spell does great damage against undead and Ricochet Hunter stunlocks + owns everything else.
Catacombs was easy mode to me when I went in there with holy enchants. That poo poo kills undead faster than even fire.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Rascyc posted:

All of the encampment quests are just kill quests I think. You're not missing anything there.
Other than some extra XP/gold.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

grrarg posted:

Interesting if that is the complete list. I have done several quests that are not on that list. Two that come to mind are a chain involving Valmiro in Cassardis. First quest you have to track him around Cassardis, the Encampment, and the Witchwood. Later on, there is a quest to help him gather supplies for a journey. Potent Greenwarish, a lantern, Sour Ambrosial Meat (ugh), and a Pilgrim's Charm. After you lug his gear to a boat, there's a cutscene where you share a drink on the beach.
You get so much affinity for doing this quest too. I don't really get the point of affinity though, other than some bizarre romance stuff at the end?

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

I hate ogres more than anything else in this game. Let's take a cyclops, remove its weaknesses (slow speed, ability to be disarmed, and eyeball weak point), make it a little smaller and give it an enrage that makes it near impossible to melee at low health.

I can beat them sometimes but occasionally they'll just spin around fists extended being an impenetrable wall of meat. The only reliable way seems to be magic, and damned if I can ever get my pawns to cast anything while an ogre's about.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Do pawns get any use out of jump/climbing core skills/augments?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Flame112 posted:

Unbelievably enough, it is a real name, though usually it's styled "de Balsac" or spelled with a z.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Zarick posted:

I hate ogres more than anything else in this game. Let's take a cyclops, remove its weaknesses (slow speed, ability to be disarmed, and eyeball weak point), make it a little smaller and give it an enrage that makes it near impossible to melee at low health.

I can beat them sometimes but occasionally they'll just spin around fists extended being an impenetrable wall of meat. The only reliable way seems to be magic, and damned if I can ever get my pawns to cast anything while an ogre's about.

I've only fought the one in Everfall but it was somewhat manageable as a vocation rank 1 ranger. Of course it did take one retry and being the only female in the group definitely wasn't fun, but being able to launch Dire Arrows at its head from a distance meant I at least didn't have to wait for pawns to do everything. It's probably a bit much to say you should switch vocations just for one enemy, but you should try fighting one with a bow sometime.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.

Clocks posted:

Catacombs was easy mode to me when I went in there with holy enchants. That poo poo kills undead faster than even fire.

I went in with holy enchants and a big spiky mace. Breezed through it :cool:

I couldn't imagine using any enchant other than Holy, it feels like the only one that's really required to beat certain enemies. Not that you can't kill undead without it but they take forever.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

I went in with holy enchants and a big spiky mace. Breezed through it :cool:

I couldn't imagine using any enchant other than Holy, it feels like the only one that's really required to beat certain enemies. Not that you can't kill undead without it but they take forever.
Fire's pretty good against undead too.

That and shooting them with 10 arrows at once. That are on fire.

EDIT: Speaking of which is there a good place to look for a Longbow upgrade without advancing the plot to improve shop inventory?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

grrarg posted:

Two that come to mind are a chain involving Valmiro in Cassardis.

Pretty sure they're in there - aren't they Dying of Curiosity, and Farewell Valmiro?

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Someone hire my pawn :( He has ever been hired and is level 29. He is a good fighter, really he is!

If someone could take a look and maybe find out why he hasn't been hired before? Maybe he's missing a key skill or something? My gamertag is T3scoBag

TescoBag fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 29, 2012

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I now mash start once the game begins, because if I haven't loaded my save by the time the jrock kicks in I HAVE to listen to it all the way through and thats time consuming

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Zereth posted:

Fire's pretty good against undead too.

That and shooting them with 10 arrows at once. That are on fire.

EDIT: Speaking of which is there a good place to look for a Longbow upgrade without advancing the plot to improve shop inventory?

Tenfold arrow has been like the "easy" button for me. Especially in conjuction with invasive arrow. I took down a cyclops in less than six seconds yesterday with zero help from my pawns by using invasive arrow and switching to tenfold arrow. God drat.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

DrNutt posted:

Tenfold arrow has been like the "easy" button for me. Especially in conjuction with invasive arrow. I took down a cyclops in less than six seconds yesterday with zero help from my pawns by using invasive arrow and switching to tenfold arrow. God drat.
Yeah, I'm just using a 3-star First Longbow You Can Buy and took down a cyclops in like 30 or so seconds with almost no pawn support.

I'm thinking about bringing along a shitload of stamina restoring items and heading out to go look for that drake over in the southwest.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Oh god the tome quest. The bandit leader said I'd have to test his mettle. I summoned maelstrom on the entire campfire

E: nevermind

Another edit: The only quest I have still active is nameless terror. Will this be affected by seeing the duke for the first time?

Jose fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 29, 2012

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I just killed a Wyvern in less than one stamina bar. :haw: Assasin for life.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Zereth posted:

Yeah, I'm just using a 3-star First Longbow You Can Buy and took down a cyclops in like 30 or so seconds with almost no pawn support.

I'm thinking about bringing along a shitload of stamina restoring items and heading out to go look for that drake over in the southwest.

Still haven't found any better bows, but it's working well enough for right now. One thing I've noticed is that enemy damage seems really inconsistent, like there are still random bandits and goblins that can take a poo poo load of damage, and I'm wondering if that's intentional.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

DrNutt posted:

Still haven't found any better bows, but it's working well enough for right now. One thing I've noticed is that enemy damage seems really inconsistent, like there are still random bandits and goblins that can take a poo poo load of damage, and I'm wondering if that's intentional.

In my experience, anything that is a Fighter class has a ridiculous amount of health or defense and will withstand constant attacks. The trick seems to be killing the weak ranged guys supporting them first and then wailing on the uber-fighters from all directions.

I have, for instance, never seen a Strider/Ranger type enemy that had a lot of health, and not once have I seen a tanky mage, of course. Maybe their armor is just that good.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

Not that you can't kill undead without it but they take forever.
Both zombies and skeletons explode real good. Explosive bolts :love:

I've yet to find something that doesn't explode real good, though. Dragons, probably, though that's what 6-fold ice arrows are for :black101:

RentACop posted:

I now mash start once the game begins, because if I haven't loaded my save by the time the jrock kicks in I HAVE to listen to it all the way through and thats time consuming
It has definitely gone from "what, seriously, man that is corny" to ":rock:" for me. Great song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYsHAODik54

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 29, 2012

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

New DLC is up on PSN.

From a Different Sky: Part 2 (10-quest pack) - $0.99
Weapon Pack: the Monster Hunter (12 weapons & shields) - $2.99

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Just realized that you can sell stuff from your stash directly to merchants when at the merchant screen (just RB all the way to the end)

really the only thing this game needs to be a 10/10 for me is "stamina isn't depleted when running overland outside of combat"

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Does the more items you're carrying really slow you down/increase stamina usage? That's a really lovely mechanic if so.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Spoilers: griffin battle. What happens if you have a ton of Stamina and hop onto the Griffin before it flies away to Bluemoon Tower?

SixtySix posted:

Just realized that you can sell stuff from your stash directly to merchants when at the merchant screen (just RB all the way to the end)

Holy poo poo seriously? Ugh, I have wasted so much time.

Flame112 fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 29, 2012

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Flame112 posted:

Spoilers: griffin battle. What happens if you have a ton of Stamina and hop onto the Griffin before it flies away to Bluemoon Tower?

You just fall off.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

SixtySix posted:

really the only thing this game needs to be a 10/10 for me is "stamina isn't depleted when running overland outside of combat"

Also combining items at an inn includes whatever is in storage as well. so you don't need to be constantly taking out materials if you want to craft something. :allears:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Flame112 posted:

You fall off, but if you're really strong and quick about it then your party can kill the Griffin before it can fly away. Thus completely removing the need to chase it! It wasn't until NG+ that I was capable of doing this though.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Mimic posted:

In my experience, anything that is a Fighter class has a ridiculous amount of health or defense and will withstand constant attacks. The trick seems to be killing the weak ranged guys supporting them first and then wailing on the uber-fighters from all directions.

I have, for instance, never seen a Strider/Ranger type enemy that had a lot of health, and not once have I seen a tanky mage, of course. Maybe their armor is just that good.

Hmm. It just takes me out a little bit since at level 30 I can take down Cyclopses and Ogres pretty easily but I can still run into bandits that can wreck my poo poo.

RageBeef
Jul 27, 2010

TOASTY!
It really puts a smile on my face when my pawn comes back from adventuring with someone else and seeing how many rift crystals he brings from a single person. He just came back with 70k bringing his total to ~120k from like 4 returns, glad people seem to like him.

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice
How do I start Dying of Curiosity? The guide says I can start it by going back once I've been to Gran Soren but Merin isn't giving it to me.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Somebody alphabetically sorted the first two rows of the goon pawn list which moved the header row to the middle and misaligned a bunch of other ones. Don't do that.

Cbouncerrun posted:

Does the more items you're carrying really slow you down/increase stamina usage? That's a really lovely mechanic if so.

It slows you down over 5 encumbrance brackets. I just made my main pawn be a huge dude so he can carry everything for the party and still be at light burden. It's yet to be an issue, except when I finished that quest that gives you 40 war bugles in the middle of a fight and they all teleported into my pockets, suddenly kicking me up to heavy encumbrance which I'm sure was a rather disturbing event for my character.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

RageBeef posted:

It really puts a smile on my face when my pawn comes back from adventuring with someone else and seeing how many rift crystals he brings from a single person. He just came back with 70k bringing his total to ~120k from like 4 returns, glad people seem to like him.

I love this too, especially when you get back all 5 reviews with a comment like "perfect in every manner." Then again there's an occasional low review that throws things for a loop and makes me wonder what my pawn possibly could have done.

Nobody ever got too much use out of mine but I switched it to a female mage (not 12, not sexy) and have seen a steady increase since then. I had my huge payout just like yours the other day but I think I rest at inns pretty often so they get spread out. I'm pretty excited to see what happens when I play again since it's been a few days.

e: my pawn is a high level so there's probably more competition because people visit the rift much less often at that point. When she is used, however, it's for hours at a time with a big payout.

e2: just stopped at an inn and pulled in a cool 299,699RC :smugdog:

Teeter fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 29, 2012

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
So Ur-Dragon just melts to dagger spam. With all the Assassin buffs and going solo, I can take out 3 whole health bars in one go. Just buy some mushrooms at the store and you never have to let go.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...

coyo7e posted:

Anybody else have any experiences, suspicions, opinions, or observatinos on pawn training? I've recently been wondering if having two "opposing" personality traits is a good idea, and changed my Challenger/Scather pawn, into a Challenger/Nexus pawn, in hopes that she won't be confused as to which enemy target would be priority.. I started wondering this when I saw my Guardian/Scather pawn really never seemed to do anything, and wondered if the two traits were giving her conflicting priorities..

How do you change personality traits? The only two I've ever seen available to me are Challenger/Scather.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Teeter posted:

I switched it to a female mage (not 12, not sexy) and have seen a steady increase since then. I had my huge payout just like yours the other day but I think I rest at inns pretty often so they get spread out. I'm pretty excited to see what happens when I play again since it's been a few days.

Lina is like this. The last few days her renting's dropped since I switched her to sorceress, but when she does get reviews they're usually positive (only losing stars in appearance since I've kept her with fairly standard looking robes rather than something goofy)

EDIT: /\ You can buy items at the rift shop in the encampment to affect your pawn's personality.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 29, 2012

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Does the Cockatrice quest unlock any story quests or do I have to do the Greatwall quest to get more?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Somebody alphabetically sorted the first two rows of the goon pawn list which moved the header row to the middle and misaligned a bunch of other ones. Don't do that.

I reverted to an older revision from today and fixed the header. If you're missing from the list, readd yourself to the bottom. Don't sort the list.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjSfcATozBXidFB3ZVVQUDA2d2tfZElncXB4ZXk0OWc&pli=1#gid=0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

DrNutt posted:

Hmm. It just takes me out a little bit since at level 30 I can take down Cyclopses and Ogres pretty easily but I can still run into bandits that can wreck my poo poo.

It seems to be where you are and sometimes when. The female bandits have pretty much always been a joke, and any bandits between Cassardis and the Encampment are easy to one-shot, but sometimes the bandits that spawn outside the Witch wood or the abbey late at night are absolute beasts.

• Locked thread