Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Benjamin Black posted:

Huh, I didn't know that. But I've heard software implementations can go horribly wrong if something should compromise the operating system.
Then you have bigger worries than your arrays going to poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Benjamin Black posted:

I've been told by someone who builds server clusters for a living not to touch raid arrays unless it's completely hardware-based.

That person is ignorant. I'm sure there's scenarios where hardware RAID is the appropriate solution. However, software RAID is highly developed and widely deployed to great effect.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

Then you have bigger worries than your arrays going to poo poo.

Hey, even if you're totally savvy, sometimes there's a hot new virus fresh off the market that can really screw you up. It's happened to me once before, but only once since I was like, 16. It would just suck to not be able to recover any data at all.

Thermopyle posted:

That person is ignorant. I'm sure there's scenarios where hardware RAID is the appropriate solution. However, software RAID is highly developed and widely deployed to great effect.

Well... I'm not sure I would call him ignorant. Data recovery is a bigger issue when you're creating server clusters for people who aren't you.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Benjamin Black posted:

Hey, even if you're totally savvy, sometimes there's a hot new virus fresh off the market that can really screw you up. It's happened to me once before, but only once since I was like, 16. It would just suck to not be able to recover any data at all.

Well... I'm not sure I would call him ignorant. Data recovery is a bigger issue when you're creating server clusters for people who aren't you.

Just because you're an expert doesn't mean you can't be ignorant.

Software RAID is more easily recoverable than hardware RAID in many (more?) scenarios.

edit: Hey, this is the SSD thread, not the Packrat thread! Anyway, you can read more about the advantages of software RAID here.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

HalloKitty posted:

If you install non-slipstreamed 7, remember to clean up the SP1 install files as you can save several gigabytes that way.

cmd prompt, as admin:
dism /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded /hidesp

Thanks! I wasn't aware of this one either. :)

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I made some changes to the OP to update and incorporate recent feedback. Most importantly, I've switched over my baseline recommendation from the Corsair Force 3 to the Mushkin Enhanced Chronos, as they are equivalent drives and the Mushkin is a much better value. I haven't seen anything to indicate reliability concerns. I also did a quick updates to the section about TRIM in RAID to note that it's now supported in RAID0 with the latest RST, I'll probably expand this later. I tweaked the placement and wording of the OCZ warning at the beginning of the OP, I want to keep it very short at the beginning but I may be adding a section with more detail later.

If anyone wants to make a post with links detailing OCZ's past SSD-related shitcockery, that would be appreciated, I'll build them into that section I mentioned. I don't think we need to explain their non-SSD stuff unless it's absolutely hilarious...like, say, this actual CPU cooler OCZ used to sell:

If memory serves that's a Globalwin FDP-32 heatsink with four stacked Delta "black label" 7000rpm fans, that individually sounded like blowdryers.

Edit: Yep, feast your eyes upon the OCZ Captain Insano.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 27, 2012

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe

Oh man. I remember an Akasa heatsink/fan I had back in the day at that form factor. Only one 60mm fan and it was 90db. Still have it.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Remember when OCZ was hyping up an affordable phase-change cooling system, the Cryo-Z?

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
I thought they released that and it worked okay, but was built like shite.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

jwoven posted:

Remember when OCZ was hyping up an affordable phase-change cooling system, the Cryo-Z?

Prometia and Asetek had those things, and they were drat good at their job, too.. but I guess they died out in popularity. Sub-zero cooling brings its own set of issues. I had a friend.. wait, I had two friends with Vapochill Lightspeed AC units. It was fun at the time overclocking a CPU and seeing it still be at -40 or something ridiculous. Though watch out if you change your CPU! The cooling made the pins so brittle I remember one of them (or maybe both) had the pins snap off when removing the CPU.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Newegg has the Crucial M4 128 gb up for 99 bucks with free shipping. Use promo code EMCYTZT1673.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
So I went from an old 7200 rpm hard drive to dual 256GB samsung 830's.... holy poo poo. Going from 80MB/s to 1GB/s in theoretical benches makes me hard, and booting windows in 18 second from pushing the button ain't bad either. I laugh at the days when an update requiring a restart made me groan. These things are awesome.

The only complaint I have is that levels in games load so fast that I can't read the splash screen tips.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

HalloKitty posted:

Prometia and Asetek had those things, and they were drat good at their job, too.. but I guess they died out in popularity. Sub-zero cooling brings its own set of issues. I had a friend.. wait, I had two friends with Vapochill Lightspeed AC units. It was fun at the time overclocking a CPU and seeing it still be at -40 or something ridiculous. Though watch out if you change your CPU! The cooling made the pins so brittle I remember one of them (or maybe both) had the pins snap off when removing the CPU.

A company called CoolIt used to sell a neat sub-ambient device that was an all-in-one water cooler, except between the water and the radiator were 100W worth of peltiers. I got one to review a while back; kept me at 10c on idle/40ish under load (Core 2 Q6600 back then). Sadly now they only made normal all-in-one water coolers for corsair. Their old stuff was neato.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

What's the status of TRIM support on *BSD?

FreeBSD: TRIM is supported out of the box as of FreeBSD9 for UFS. It is also supported in FreeBSD 8.3, but not through the installer so you need to enable it yourself with tunefs. Work is in progress to bring it to ZFS.

OpenBSD: As of 5.1: Work in progress. It hasn't made it all the way up to the filesystem layer yet, so it isn't in a usable state. source

NetBSD: As of 5.1.2: Work in progress. Not committed, but looks promising. source

DragonFlyBSD: TRIM is supported out of the box on DragonFlyBSD 3.0 in both FFS and HAMMER filesystems

feld fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 29, 2012

jaeger
Jul 28, 2005
I've recently bought a pair of Samsung 830 256GB SSDs and for the most part they're fantastic. I am running into a problem, though. If I try to run the Samsung SSD Magician's "Performance Optimization" tool (their manual TRIM) I get the following in the logfile and it fails immediately:

code:
29052012/11:13:46:244:	UNKNOWN	MAGICIANGUI	*************************SAMSUNG SSD MAGICIAN STARTED***********************
29052012/11:14:04:243:	ERROR	SYSINFO	ID: IOCTL to get target ID and LUN value failed with error code: 50
29052012/11:14:08:837:	ERROR	SYSTEM TUNING	CSysTuning:QueryStatus_Ser: Failed to get handle to CiSvc Service ;Err code: 1060
29052012/11:14:10:227:	ERROR	SYSTEM TUNING	CSysTuning:QueryStatus_Ser: Failed to get handle to CiSvc Service ;Err code: 1060
29052012/11:14:19:718:	ERROR	SYSTEM TUNING	CSysTuning:QueryStatus_Ser: Failed to get handle to CiSvc Service ;Err code: 1060
29052012/11:14:24:233:	ERROR	OPTIMIZATION	COptInterface::TriggerOpt:1 or more drives not found on Disk S0VVNYAC100603
29052012/11:14:25:188:	ERROR	OPTIMIZATION	Failed to create file on drive.
29052012/11:14:32:890:	WARNING	OPTIMIZATION	COptimizationMgr::StopAll: No running instance available to stop.
29052012/11:14:32:890:	WARNING	BENCHMARK	CBenchmarkManager::StopAll: No running instance available to stop.
29052012/11:14:32:892:	UNKNOWN	MAGICIANGUI	****************************************************************************
I haven't been able to find much info about this via searching the net, so I'm wondering if any of you other Samsung 830 owners have seen the same issue. For reference, I'm running Windows 7 64-bit Professional on an Asus P8P67 Pro. The Samsung SSD is plugged into the 6GB/s Intel SATA ports. The problem occurs using both the Intel RST drivers and the Windows msahci drivers.

The Windows 7 installation was cloned from the previous 120GB Intel SSD, could the problem be that the Samsung SSD Magician software is finding something left over from that previous environment? A bit of bad programming, perhaps? I have not had the opportunity to test a fresh install of Windows 7 on the drive yet.

Any other ideas? The error log isn't giving me enough of an idea to troubleshoot well.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Not sure what your issue is. I have a 830 128GB on a P8P67 (non-Pro), using the Intel port, with Win7 x64, and have no problems with the TRIM or any other option. Have you tried doing just one drive at a time, and/or disconnecting the other drive?

jaeger
Jul 28, 2005

DrDork posted:

Not sure what your issue is. I have a 830 128GB on a P8P67 (non-Pro), using the Intel port, with Win7 x64, and have no problems with the TRIM or any other option. Have you tried doing just one drive at a time, and/or disconnecting the other drive?

Sorry, I should have provided some more info. Only 1 of the Samsung drives is in this machine. I have the following drives in it:

1x Samsung 830 256GB SSD
1x Intel X25-M G2 120GB SSD
2x 1TB platter drives in a 3Ware RAID1 array

I can't easily disable the RAID array without pissing Windows off as most of my software is installed there. I did just try disconnecting the Intel SSD and got the same results.

I will also try using the 3GB/s SATA controllers, just for another data point, though you've said yours works fine on the 6GB/s port.

The other Samsung 830 is in my laptop (Lenovo X220) and has the exact same problem. There are no other drives in the laptop, not even optical. The commonality here is that both systems were cloned from other drives to the Samsung SSDs.

As annoying as it will be to do, I might try a fresh install on the laptop to see if it helps any.

Any chance you could post a bit of your Samsung SSD Magician log file for me to see what a successful run of the performance optimization tool puts there?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Why are you trying to run a manual TRIM on a system with a configuration that supports TRIM automatically?

Natty
Jan 23, 2009

jaeger posted:

I've recently bought a pair of Samsung 830 256GB SSDs and for the most part they're fantastic. I am running into a problem, though. If I try to run the Samsung SSD Magician's "Performance Optimization" tool (their manual TRIM) I get the following in the logfile and it fails immediately:

code:
29052012/11:13:46:244:	UNKNOWN	MAGICIANGUI	*************************SAMSUNG SSD MAGICIAN STARTED***********************
29052012/11:14:04:243:	ERROR	SYSINFO	ID: IOCTL to get target ID and LUN value failed with error code: 50
29052012/11:14:08:837:	ERROR	SYSTEM TUNING	CSysTuning:QueryStatus_Ser: Failed to get handle to CiSvc Service ;Err code: 1060
29052012/11:14:10:227:	ERROR	SYSTEM TUNING	CSysTuning:QueryStatus_Ser: Failed to get handle to CiSvc Service ;Err code: 1060
29052012/11:14:19:718:	ERROR	SYSTEM TUNING	CSysTuning:QueryStatus_Ser: Failed to get handle to CiSvc Service ;Err code: 1060
29052012/11:14:24:233:	ERROR	OPTIMIZATION	COptInterface::TriggerOpt:1 or more drives not found on Disk S0VVNYAC100603
29052012/11:14:25:188:	ERROR	OPTIMIZATION	Failed to create file on drive.
29052012/11:14:32:890:	WARNING	OPTIMIZATION	COptimizationMgr::StopAll: No running instance available to stop.
29052012/11:14:32:890:	WARNING	BENCHMARK	CBenchmarkManager::StopAll: No running instance available to stop.
29052012/11:14:32:892:	UNKNOWN	MAGICIANGUI	****************************************************************************
I haven't been able to find much info about this via searching the net, so I'm wondering if any of you other Samsung 830 owners have seen the same issue. For reference, I'm running Windows 7 64-bit Professional on an Asus P8P67 Pro. The Samsung SSD is plugged into the 6GB/s Intel SATA ports. The problem occurs using both the Intel RST drivers and the Windows msahci drivers.

The Windows 7 installation was cloned from the previous 120GB Intel SSD, could the problem be that the Samsung SSD Magician software is finding something left over from that previous environment? A bit of bad programming, perhaps? I have not had the opportunity to test a fresh install of Windows 7 on the drive yet.

Any other ideas? The error log isn't giving me enough of an idea to troubleshoot well.

I'm having the exact same problem, I recently bought two identical PCs with 128 GB Samsung 830s, and one drive does this, the other doesn't. Both are running Windows 7 with identical configuration as far as I can tell. Performance seems identical, and I haven't seen any issues, but it bothers me nonetheless. The good news is the error doesn't look to have anything to do with the actual drive, it seems the Samsung SSD software is just borked and can't talk to its own back-end service.

Really frustrating issue though, I've tried everything short of a full drive wipe with no success.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
So I bought some of the Crucial m4s that were on sale recently and I've got a question regarding maintenance software. I've only installed one other SSD, an Intel 520 120GB, and that SSD came with a program called "SSD Toolbox" that could check the status of the drive and perform maintenance (TRIM support scheduling, etc). Does Crucial make software like this, and if not, how can I do it myself? Is there a goon-approved program that does this?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
There is pretty much zero need for such programs. TRIM is enabled automatically when you run the Windows Experience Index with an SSD as the system drive. The only other marginally useful thing is SMART status, and there are plenty of utilities to check that. But SMART isn't that useful for SSDs; basically, the only useful thing is checking the write endurance lifetime, and for desktop use it'd take a decade to go through that. By the time it became an issue, you will have upgraded, perhaps multiple times.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Factory Factory posted:

There is pretty much zero need for such programs. TRIM is enabled automatically when you run the Windows Experience Index with an SSD as the system drive. The only other marginally useful thing is SMART status, and there are plenty of utilities to check that. But SMART isn't that useful for SSDs; basically, the only useful thing is checking the write endurance lifetime, and for desktop use it'd take a decade to go through that. By the time it became an issue, you will have upgraded, perhaps multiple times.

Cool, glad I asked! Thanks for the response. This should be in the op word-for-word. I'm sure the OP covers it but it definitely isn't as concise.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Factory Factory posted:

If you install Intel RST drivers I am pretty sure the default options install a utility that you can use to check SMART status, which further reduces the need for a manufacturer produced utility

jaeger
Jul 28, 2005

Alereon posted:

Why are you trying to run a manual TRIM on a system with a configuration that supports TRIM automatically?

TRIM is working fine as far as I can tell and performance is not degraded. My issue is that the software is throwing errors. I just want to know why it's doing so, really.

Natty posted:

I'm having the exact same problem, I recently bought two identical PCs with 128 GB Samsung 830s, and one drive does this, the other doesn't. Both are running Windows 7 with identical configuration as far as I can tell. Performance seems identical, and I haven't seen any issues, but it bothers me nonetheless. The good news is the error doesn't look to have anything to do with the actual drive, it seems the Samsung SSD software is just borked and can't talk to its own back-end service.

Really frustrating issue though, I've tried everything short of a full drive wipe with no success.

Is the problem PC by chance booting via UEFI/GPT? That is another thing my laptop and desktop have in common but I didn't think of it when posting the issue originally.

I sucked it up and tried a fresh install of Windows 7 this morning, the issue persists.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

jaeger posted:

TRIM is working fine as far as I can tell and performance is not degraded. My issue is that the software is throwing errors. I just want to know why it's doing so, really.

Is the problem PC by chance booting via UEFI/GPT? That is another thing my laptop and desktop have in common but I didn't think of it when posting the issue originally.

I sucked it up and tried a fresh install of Windows 7 this morning, the issue persists.
I'm not sure why it's such a big deal honestly. I looked into the SSD Magician software briefly, but it doesn't really do anything that isn't automatically handled by Windows as-is, and some of the "optimizations" it wants to do are useless at best (Superfetch disabling/etc). Better just to ignore it, and install firmware updates outside of windows if it's necessary at some point.

What firmware version does your drive have? The latest release for the 830's was supposed to increase stability with their SSD Magician software per the release notes.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Dogen posted:

If you install Intel RST drivers I am pretty sure the default options install a utility that you can use to check SMART status, which further reduces the need for a manufacturer produced utility
Speaking of, is there any reason to install the RST drivers? The Intel chipset package mentions installing SATA drivers, so I didn't want to do anything redundant.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
I have them installed on my laptop to support Ultrabay hard drive hot plugging. Otherwise, unless you're using SRT or RAID, I don't see much point to them. I used to have them on my desktop, but RST RAID 1 actually performed significantly worse than Dynamic Disks RAID 1 so I just dumped 'em.

jaeger
Jul 28, 2005

grumperfish posted:

I'm not sure why it's such a big deal honestly. I looked into the SSD Magician software briefly, but it doesn't really do anything that isn't automatically handled by Windows as-is, and some of the "optimizations" it wants to do are useless at best (Superfetch disabling/etc). Better just to ignore it, and install firmware updates outside of windows if it's necessary at some point.

What firmware version does your drive have? The latest release for the 830's was supposed to increase stability with their SSD Magician software per the release notes.

I agree about the uselessness of some of the magician's optimizations. It isn't really a big deal, I just wonder why it's not working the way the software expects it to, that's all. I'm quite happy with the drives in general and will probably just write off the software as unneeded soon.

The firmware is the latest currently available, CXM03B1Q.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Speaking of, is there any reason to install the RST drivers? The Intel chipset package mentions installing SATA drivers, so I didn't want to do anything redundant.

The only reason I installed them was to ensure proper hotplug support for the top drive bay on my 650D for when I need to take a drive out of a machine I am fixing for whatever reason. They don't hurt anything in normal use, I don't think, but I don't think they help anything either.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Yes, they fix all kinds of SSD specific issues. You do NOT want to be on an Intel system without RST drivers.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

redeyes posted:

Yes, they fix all kinds of SSD specific issues. You do NOT want to be on an Intel system without RST drivers.
But the Intel chipset utility specifically state that they install SATA drivers.

If you say so. I'm not sure what all these SSD specific issues could be.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

But the Intel chipset specifically state that they install SATA drivers.

If you say so.

They do however the RST drivers seem like they have better SSD support (according to the release notes). I usually load the Intel chipset drivers first and then the RST 2nd (which replaces the chipset SATA drivers btw).

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Cool, glad I asked! Thanks for the response. This should be in the op word-for-word. I'm sure the OP covers it but it definitely isn't as concise.
Did this thing, it's at the end of the Tweaks section. I'm really liking the way the forums software handles quotes now.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Is there a to use an Expresscard SSD anymore, unless it's a last resort?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820161554

This one apparently has a JMicron controller so it's not that fast, but do they make fast ones? Is Expresscard capable of SATA 3.0 speeds?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Alereon posted:

Did this thing, it's at the end of the Tweaks section. I'm really liking the way the forums software handles quotes now.

If you're interested I can dig up my images of oscilloscope captures of SATA waveforms to remind people to not use crappy cables :)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Samsung has had my RMA'd 830 128GB for awhile, the tech said they'd send out a new one as soon as they got the old, checked and they received it Friday..

Also no responses from Samsung tech, emailed him twice already. They're right across the river in Jersey, what the hell..

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Bob Morales posted:

Is there a to use an Expresscard SSD anymore, unless it's a last resort?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820161554

This one apparently has a JMicron controller so it's not that fast, but do they make fast ones? Is Expresscard capable of SATA 3.0 speeds?
Expresscard v1/v2 are respectively 2.5 or 5Gbit/s, so it's not that bad speed-wise.

It might be nice if you wanted an SSD in a laptop that didn't have an optical bay you could put a 2.5 inch SSD in, I suppose.

At that price it's not an attractive proposition.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Certain programs that try to use direct-ish access to stuff like CD/DVDrws (the library used by cdburnerxp that handles burning data discs, for example) will have trouble dealing with drives in AHCI mode. Installing the RST disappears this problem instantly.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

People still put optical drives in their systems? :pwn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Which is the "Mushkin Enhanced Chronos" that the OP recommends? Amazon shows this one and this deluxe one but neither of them are simply called Enhanced Chronos.

• Locked thread