Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mikan posted:

13th Age explicitly insists you change your power names to make them unique and reskin as necessary.

:swoon:

When you say "reskin", does that mean you can swap damage types and such without begging the DM, like turning a Burning Hands-type power into a stream of frigid cold?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

QuantaStarFire posted:

When you say "reskin", does that mean you can swap damage types and such without begging the DM, like turning a Burning Hands-type power into a stream of frigid cold?

No.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

I don't see why you couldn't though, it's just not explicitly said in the rules like Renaming/Fluffing :v:.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If that's your thing, sure.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

QuantaStarFire posted:

I don't see why you couldn't, and it wouldn't break anything to do so. I know I would allow it.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mikan posted:

13th Age explicitly insists you change your power names to make them unique and reskin as necessary.

Weeaboo anime bullshit of game design.

Also get the public playtest out, so I can contrast it with 5E for my home group.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Mechanical stability, fluff flexibility. I guess we could play around with elemental types and effects, but it's a play-test so right now everyone's just playing as written, for obvious reasons.

We can talk about homebrew rules for rifles and flashbangs later.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ocrumsprug posted:

Weeaboo anime bullshit of game design.

Also get the public playtest out, so I can contrast it with 5E for my home group.

Man, forget the Public Playtest, someone make it the future so I can just buy a copy of this game already.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

I think somewhere in the rules for "damage types" it says something akin to "do whatevs, we don't care, won't break anything".

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

I have a strong feeling everyone will get to see 13th Age gameplay very soon.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Markovnikov posted:

I think somewhere in the rules for "damage types" it says something akin to "do whatevs, we don't care, won't break anything".

Ah I must have missed it, though to be fair the entire document isn't really written that clearly or cohesively in quite a few places. Everyone in my group has already included "hire a technical writer" in their feedback.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Mikan posted:

Will the log be posted on your site?

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Ah I must have missed it, though to be fair the entire document isn't really written that clearly or cohesively in quite a few places. Everyone in my group has already included "hire a technical writer" in their feedback.

I like the "indie charm" of "Rob does this in his game, Jonathan does that" :ohdear:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Markovnikov posted:

I like the "indie charm" of "Rob does this in his game, Jonathan does that" :ohdear:

Yeah it's cute, but that's stuff to save for side bars, not to just mix into the rules whenever they feel like it. Don't get me wrong, I realize this isn't the final draft and the technical writer comment was mostly a joke, but there's times where I feel less like I'm reading a book that's explaining the rules to a game and more like I'm reading a blog.

Lochness_Hamster
Sep 27, 2007
i'll be buying 5 of these for my home group, to help support "Good loving Game Design™"

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Mikan posted:

Tease! :arghfist::(

Seriously, all of you stop making me want to play a d20 game. I'm supposed to dislike them! Really interested in the whole gridless map system too, as I've never really liked playing with maps due to slowing play and originally not really caring much about "tactical crunch" (though I play on IRC these days so I guess it goes slow anyways :v:). However my friends love that kinda stuff so if we can get a happy medium ground.

I am enjoying this promise of looking forward to enjoying others enjoying this playtest.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I really liked the tone here, but at the same time the informal writing in Burning Wheel made me hate the poo poo out of that ren-faire gently caress who is going on about the "multitudous imp voices that chattereth" in his head.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

This Saturday, I too will be Enjoying This Playtest as a GM. Wish me luck.

Here are a few ideas I threw out to my players by email: https://plus.google.com/118159213077641426961/posts/ZeRdj91ZE84?hl=en

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

waderockett posted:

This Saturday, I too will be Enjoying This Playtest as a GM. Wish me luck.

Here are a few ideas I threw out to my players by email: https://plus.google.com/118159213077641426961/posts/ZeRdj91ZE84?hl=en

quote:

Halflings: Rowdy bastards who love to drink, sing and fight. They're the Pogues, but four feet tall.

I love this, and am stealing it for any game with halflings. I want to play Tiny Shane MacGowan so much now.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Nolanar posted:

I love this, and am stealing it for any game with halflings. I want to play Tiny Shane MacGowan so much now.

The first PC that I got back after sending that out was a halfling tavern bouncer and loan collector who was an altar boy of the Great Gold Wyrm. I was so happy.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Mikan posted:

waderockett posted:

Thanks for asking! I'll PM you to discuss it.

EDIT: Except that I can't. So please email me at wade@fireopalmedia.com

And I thought I was special :cry:

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

Countblanc posted:

I'm a technical writer! I will do this for (very reasonably priced) love! Wade R, drop me a PM, I am super serious.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

General Ironicus posted:

And I thought I was special :cry:
I've been recording D&D games for a year longer than you've been playing D&D. I was originally going to post mine up here in the LP forum, but :effort: and I was deeply intimidated about starting an LP, so the small handful of mine that have reached the net have gone on the RPPR Community AP site.

I hope I pass muster, I'm reviewing the files now and once I give them a once-over I'll email Wade and see what can be done with them.

SageNytell fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 30, 2012

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The patient Lich King is the best Lich King!

I used to do editing / proofing professionally, but it's been years. If you'd like a (cheap) extra pair of eyes on it before it goes to print, let's talk!

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
Silly question, but how does one learn such a thing as "technical writing"?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Classes. If you're interested, take one at your local community college, it's not much more expensive than buying a collection of how to books and the hands on instruction from a teacher is invaluable.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

Mystic Mongol posted:

Classes. If you're interested, take one at your local community college, it's not much more expensive than buying a collection of how to books and the hands on instruction from a teacher is invaluable.

Derp, figures. Was wondering more wether it was a full University degree or something like a Tertiary degree or somesuch.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

waderockett posted:

The first PC that I got back after sending that out was a halfling tavern bouncer and loan collector who was an altar boy of the Great Gold Wyrm. I was so happy.

Wait, is it cool to talk about our Player's Characters? Cause holy poo poo this game makes it so sweet to make interesting characters.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mystic Mongol posted:

Additionally, read a lot of good technical writing. The 4e books are an obvious example that everyone knows, but there's tons of things ranging from board games to computer hardware installation manuals to building a shed to store your tools/dead bodies. It's hard to quantify good technical writing to someone who hasn't really studied it already, but you really know it when you see it (and know when it isn't there).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Wait, is it cool to talk about our Player's Characters? Cause holy poo poo this game makes it so sweet to make interesting characters.

Nothing he said really had anything to do with the mechanics of the game so it doesn't seem like an issue unless you start saying how those character traits are affected by the game's systems.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Markovnikov posted:

Derp, figures. Was wondering more wether it was a full University degree or something like a Tertiary degree or somesuch.

Who said get a degree? Take a class or two, pick up the core skill and move on. You don't need a degree for continuing adult education, plus it gets you out of the house and meeting interesting people. I quite liked the saffron-garbed Buddhist Monks I met, although they didn't get excited about anything.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Mystic Mongol posted:

Who said get a degree? Take a class or two, pick up the core skill and move on. You don't need a degree for continuing adult education, plus it gets you out of the house and meeting interesting people. I quite liked the saffron-garbed Buddhist Monks I met, although they didn't get excited about anything.

I think that might be the whole point behind their being Buddhist Monks, Mongol.

Speaking of, they'd be bad 13th Age characters, since "Escaping the great wheel of karma through meditation" is not a really good Heroic Motivation.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)
Anyone from the first round of playtests wanna share how (out of combat) magic works?

I had the rockin' idea of spellcasting abilities being encapsulated as backgrounds. A wizard with the background "studied divination" could, say, roll to detect traps–whereas a rogue might notice the suspicious stonework or hear moving plates beneath the dungeon walls, a wizard might be able to spend time preparing a spell and roll to get a vision of a dude preparing a trap or a vision of the last party who walked through this dungeon dying horribly or whatever. Maybe his DC would be higher, because "studied divination" is a way more general-use ability, i dunno.

nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero
Mind of a Lazy, Easily Distracted, Waste of Space

I have officially enjoyed this playtest! My group had a blast once they got into the swing of the storygame stuff (we have a couple of folks who haven't played anything other than 3.5/pathfinder, and it took them a little bit to figure out the more flexible system). I'll get the playtest report sent out shortly!

Hamboning
May 2, 2010

Laphroaig posted:

I think that might be the whole point behind their being Buddhist Monks, Mongol.

Speaking of, they'd be bad 13th Age characters, since "Escaping the great wheel of karma through meditation" is not a really good Heroic Motivation.

A fundamental feeling of oneness with the world should make for good technical writing, though.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ugh, I don't know if I'm going to have time to run the second round of the playtest. The cutoff date is next week, right?

I am not enjoying doing a terrible job in this playtest.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

Ugh, I don't know if I'm going to have time to run the second round of the playtest. The cutoff date is next week, right?

I only had time to do a single one-shot with my playtest. If all else fails, turn in feedback based on what you have. I'm sure it will still be useful to the designers.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

7th June, IIRC.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

We have only had one game but I got a surprising amount of notes out of it. Even if you can only find one other player, you're going to help more than just looking at the book.

I planed four games this month, and so far 2 of 3 didn't happen. (We're adults with hardcore family and job obligations.) Don't give up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ack
Mar 16, 2007
ack ack ack ack
Hey familiar obligations buddies.

We've only managed one session yet. I'm scheduling next tuesday night to finish our dmeonic reskinning of the included adventure and squeeze an after game session to try and generate something useful.

• Locked thread