Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Attention Horse posted:

I'm happy that they aren't working on Witcher 3 right now. Cyberpunk is a nice change of pace for them.

Yeah same. I love me some Witcher but it's good when studios mix it up rather than rehashing the same IPs over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
Aren't they working on The Witcher 3 though? I thought at one point they said they had two teams now, and are working on a dark fantasy RPG and a new IP RPG...

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!

Flumpus posted:

Aren't they working on The Witcher 3 though? I thought at one point they said they had two teams now, and are working on a dark fantasy RPG and a new IP RPG...

That's not CD PRojekt, that's City Interactive, the producer of Witcher 2. That rpg fantasy game will be inspired by Dark Souls.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-05-the-witcher-2-producer-announces-new-dark-souls-inspired-rpg

City Interactive is a lovely company so don't expect anything great.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

Give this man a loving gold star.

So yeah, it's them doing an adaptation of Cyberpunk 2020. Not only that, but they have the Cyberpunk 2020 CREATOR on the team for the game.

Yeah, just read about Mike Pondsmith. Really exciting news. Deus eX is a fine series and all, but I have a huge soft spot for eighties Cyberpunk. An interesting choice from the Projekt guys.

The first teaser trailer we get better make a point about "Style above substance."

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

quote:

CYBERPUNK

TAKE MY MONEY PLEASE.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Flumpus posted:

They sure are. Few months ago they put ads on their site. They were looking for new writers for Witcher 3. Interviews were held in Warsaw.

Cyberpunk RPG is great news. Goddamn, at this point any cyberpunk game which isn't a stupid FPS (or stealth game with awful bosses) is great news.

Megazver posted:

They know their (Eastern European) audience.

Real funny.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Goddamn, I bet this Cyberpunk game is going to be gritty as gently caress. And proper gritty too, not the "look these corp buildings are shiny but everyone in the streets is DIRTY" style gritty.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
And probably has 100% less "Aaaaaaaadum" which will be of great relief.

I'd love the character of Sarif a lot more if he was voiced less annoyingly.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
A Cyberpunk game. I mean, an honest to god game based on Cyberpunk 2020. Something for those of us that don't like elves and magic in their cyberpunk, at long loving last. Can't loving wait.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
My favorite game company recruited the designer of my favorite game system in my favorite setting, to make a videogame. For me, for little 'ol me and me alone. My god.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Attention Horse posted:

IGN says that this new CD Projekt game is actualy called... "Cyberpunk" and is based on Cyberpunk 2020.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/05/30/cd-projekt-red-announces-cyberpunk

:gizz: oh my god it's everywhere :gizz:

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
I usually don't like elves and dwarves in my rpgs but the witcher series did it right.

But by how witcher was done, I'm really really pumped for this cyberpunk game cause I really like cyberpunk far more than fantasy!

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Time to trade my REO Meatwagon card for Trauma Team Gold.

chancy
Nov 22, 2007
never fail me, fruity lexia
I have to say, the start of the game is sure to put a lot of people off. Coming in without prior witcher experience and on normal difficulty I've died at least 15 times just trying to get past the dragonfire and swordsmen in the very first scene.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

chancy posted:

I have to say, the start of the game is sure to put a lot of people off. Coming in without prior witcher experience and on normal difficulty I've died at least 15 times just trying to get past the dragonfire and swordsmen in the very first scene.

It's less a matter of prior experience (the combat system from the first game is just too different for it to be relevant), and more of that part just being a bitch. I still have trouble telling when it's safe from the fire or not, and even on normal it's a quick kill if you get caught in it.

One thing's marginally better now - before the first patch, the dragon bit was one of the choices you could pick while being interrogated by Roche. Hello new player NOW BURN :v:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Toiwat posted:

It's less a matter of prior experience (the combat system from the first game is just too different for it to be relevant), and more of that part just being a bitch. I still have trouble telling when it's safe from the fire or not, and even on normal it's a quick kill if you get caught in it.

One thing's marginally better now - before the first patch, the dragon bit was one of the choices you could pick while being interrogated by Roche. Hello new player NOW BURN :v:

That was literally my first experience with the game. To add insult to injury, I always do my first playthroughs on "hardest" so I was playing insanity.

"Oh, nice dungeon...ok, I'll play nice with this guy...ooh, dragon! Lets see that. OHGODI'MONFIRE...gently caress. What just happened?"

Backed down to merely "hard" after that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This game is insidious. Chapter 1 seemed to fly by but took me over 20 hours. Then I didn't play for awhile and decided to just get through a couple of quests in chapter 2, and before I knew it 5 hours had gone by. :stare:

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

This game is insidious. Chapter 1 seemed to fly by but took me over 20 hours. Then I didn't play for awhile and decided to just get through a couple of quests in chapter 2, and before I knew it 5 hours had gone by. :stare:

It was a little different for me. I never played the first Witcher and played the second one on the console, so it was a little bit of a Morrowind culture shock not being directed to where quests need you to go (some do, I know). Chapter 1 drug on and on for me. It picked up eventually, but it really seemed to start off slow. Chapters 2 and 3 flew by, though.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Can someone point me in the right direction to do the fight in Act I with Letho in the bath?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Capsaicin posted:

Can someone point me in the right direction to do the fight in Act I with Letho in the bath?
Bombs and knives. Keep tossing fire bombs, he is stunlocked by them.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Also, stay out of sword range unless he is actively stunned. And even then, get 1-2 hits in and then roll back/away. Knives work great since they are quick-throw; bombs work well. Quickfire aard can also be a good tactic, but its tricky to land without his sending one back at you.

Stay out of sword range, but don't go too far back--he will also chuck bombs and knives and signs at you if you're at range. Be ready to dodge to either side at a moment's notice to dodge a sign.

Edit: also, before you climb up to the ledge with the elf, meditate and chug potions and oil up your sword. Even if you watch most of the cinematic (which you should skip through after you've watched it once) you'll still have a few minutes, and health regen is a tremendous asset.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 7, 2012

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
My tactics:

Optional: Quen up (but only use Quen when you have full vigor).

But more importantly: Roll, roll, roll. Roll up a storm.

If he Quens, drop an Yrden and bait him to try and attack you over it. If it doesn't stun him, try again. If it stuns, get behind him and wait until his Quen drops. Then wail on him with quick strikes until he blocks, then roll away.

At any time that he doesn't have Quen up, but you have vigor, do a quick roll to the side and then Aard him. Roll toward him while he's getting up then wail on him with quick strikes until he blocks, then roll away. That side roll before the Aard is very important. If I don't do it, he almost always hits me with a counter-Aard, and his is stronger. Otherwise, he misses.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 7, 2012

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I am going to go and say ignore everything here.

It's easy.

Now, it's been a while so this might not be perfect, but use Aard. A lot. Don't use Quen, no anything else. Just Aard. When he has a... Shield up, simply roll around until it drops. Aard. Smack him 3-5 times I forget the magic number, roll away.

Repeat.

Aard allowed me to stun him with ease, hacking away freely. I think I got through it without taking a hit just using aard and rolling.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Goddamn the end of Chapter 2 (Iorverth path) was satisfying as hell, is the Roche path as good? The whole siege combat/Saskia reveal/fighting on the walls section was fun as hell, maybe because I'm invested into the Swordmaster path and unlocked group finishers just before the big fighting started.

Act 3 is supposed to be surprisingly short, so I guess I'm getting near the end of the game. Act 2 was good, though Vergen was a loving nightmare to navigate, so I'm glad to be out of it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Jerusalem posted:

Goddamn the end of Chapter 2 (Iorverth path) was satisfying as hell, is the Roche path as good? The whole siege combat/Saskia reveal/fighting on the walls section was fun as hell, maybe because I'm invested into the Swordmaster path and unlocked group finishers just before the big fighting started.

Act 3 is supposed to be surprisingly short, so I guess I'm getting near the end of the game. Act 2 was good, though Vergen was a loving nightmare to navigate, so I'm glad to be out of it.
Roche's path is less "Yeah! Onward! For liberty, equality and brotherhood!" and more "Oh gently caress! gently caress you all, you loving assholes!"

It's darker and more dramatic, and a lot of people like that. Personally, I prefer the more epic feeling of Iorveth's path.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 8, 2012

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Act 2 was good, though Vergen was a loving nightmare to navigate, so I'm glad to be out of it.

You're gonna love Loc Muinne.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I prefer Roches path by quite a bit, especially because it gives you a more interesting Act 3. But you really need to play both to get the whole story.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Damnit, lethal combat paired with a lovely autosave is a recipe for frustration. Just started dicking around in Flotsam.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

So I just got to Vandergrift for the first time, he went down like a bitch but holy poo poo was his design loving awesome. gently caress navigating Vergen though, I could never remember where anything was.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Flipswitch posted:

So I just got to Vandergrift for the first time, he went down like a bitch but holy poo poo was his design loving awesome. gently caress navigating Vergen though, I could never remember where anything was.

I knew where everything was. The trouble was I couldn't remember how to get there.

"Okay, so I need to get to that house that is 15 feet away from where I'm currently standing... guess I better turn around, walk to the front of the town, turn around, climb some stairs, go left, cross a bridge, turn right, cross another bridge, go through the market, turn right and climb another set of steps, turn left and here I am!"

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I kinda enjoyed it myself. Even if you didn't, it's still less annoying than "Oooodriiin!"

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah I just kept taking the wrong turning everywhere and was getting wound up.

Turned up at Loc Muinne(?) and was surprised to see it being such a ruin, then the game randomly closed on me. :argh:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lycus posted:

Roche's path is less "Yeah! Onward! For liberty, equality and brotherhood!" and more "Oh gently caress! gently caress you all, you loving assholes!"

It's darker and more dramatic, and a lot of people like that. Personally, I prefer the more epic feeling of Iorveth's path.

And it's more Witcher-esque with Geralt being forced to work for a leader he really doesn't like and the leader has really horrible motivations.

It's fits more in the messed up nature of the world than resistance fighter story.

Jerusalem posted:

Act 3 is supposed to be surprisingly short, so I guess I'm getting near the end of the game.

Yes Act 3 is a horrible cocktease after the great Act 2 experience, you think the game will last much longer but then it ends after a minimal number of quests.

The path specific missions are really awesome but the conclusion just feels really threadbare.

etalian fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 18, 2012

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

etalian posted:

And it's more Witcher-esque with Geralt being forced to work for a leader he really doesn't like and the leader has really horrible motivations.

It's fits more in the messed up nature of the world than resistance fighter story.

Yeah, Iorveth's path is a bit more Lord of the Ringsy than Roche's...although it is interesting that even in that archetype, the bad guy is mankind instead of some monstrous demonic horde.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah, Iorveth's path is a bit more Lord of the Ringsy than Roche's...although it is interesting that even in that archetype, the bad guy is mankind instead of some monstrous demonic horde.

Speaking of which, I was kind of pissed off that at the start of Act 2 they give me control of Stennis and give me a choice of things to say in regards to how to treat/act towards Saskia and then for the rest of the act, whenever Geralt encounters Stennis, Stennis is a complete rear end in a top hat and acts like an entitled prick no matter how I chose for him to act initially.

Also, unless I missed something or it comes up in Act 3 which I still haven't played, it seems that after Stennis is put into the cells, he basically disappears from the story and isn't involved at all in the siege or anything that happens afterwards.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Sounds about right, Stennis is a oval office.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Speaking of which, I was kind of pissed off that at the start of Act 2 they give me control of Stennis and give me a choice of things to say in regards to how to treat/act towards Saskia and then for the rest of the act, whenever Geralt encounters Stennis, Stennis is a complete rear end in a top hat and acts like an entitled prick no matter how I chose for him to act initially.
Look at it this way: you were choosing what he says, not what he thinks. If you were making him say nice things about Saskia, then he was putting on an act (and one of the peasants says as much during the confrontation). And even when he's being an rear end in a top hat, he still does continue to do a lot of pretending, such as pretending not to know anything about the assassination attempt.

Jerusalem posted:

Also, unless I missed something or it comes up in Act 3 which I still haven't played, it seems that after Stennis is put into the cells, he basically disappears from the story and isn't involved at all in the siege or anything that happens afterwards.
You'll get an update in Act 3.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 18, 2012

longtimelurker
Mar 12, 2006