Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shindragon posted:

Yeah and? Some people don't like the new one.

You mean the game that isn't out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Aphrodite posted:

You mean the game that isn't out?

Yeah I already addressed it. I know people jump to conclusions but that tends to happen when people like a certain franchise and a sequel was announced, after 6 years? Definitely alot of irrationality is going to happen. Would it be nice if they didn't jump to conclusions? That's nice, but rarely does it happen.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Ghost of Sparta was really god damned good. It pretty much did everything I expect out of a GoW game and it had a bunch of little touches that alot of the other ones don't, many of which make Kratos as least a little bit more sympathetic without resorting to any power of hope nonsense.

Also, guess who finally reached trophy level 16? hint: it's me!

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

There was a cave escape that featured no combat shown to the public, yeah.

Ah, okay. That was a really small chunk of what they showed off. They showed Lara getting captured by someone, waking up upside down all wrapped up and then getting out of that (which was brutal, but I think you guys saw that). Afterward, they showed her escaping her captor, and making her way out of the cave where she had to use some physics puzzles to lift a boom to block the flow of water that would allow some explosive barrels to stack up near a door, then light some stuff on fire and float it toward the barrels (the waterfall would douse the flame otherwise).

After that, they got into some survival stuff with her mentor, showed her free climbing around the remains of a village to reach a high point to get into a wolves' den to find the emergency radio. It was really, really gripping and really made her into more of an actual character than she's ever been before. And man, it looks really good. I can't imagine what another year and a half is going to do for the game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

SamBishop posted:

Ah, okay. That was a really small chunk of what they showed off. They showed Lara getting captured by someone, waking up upside down all wrapped up and then getting out of that (which was brutal, but I think you guys saw that). Afterward, they showed her escaping her captor, and making her way out of the cave where she had to use some physics puzzles to lift a boom to block the flow of water that would allow some explosive barrels to stack up near a door, then light some stuff on fire and float it toward the barrels (the waterfall would douse the flame otherwise).

After that, they got into some survival stuff with her mentor, showed her free climbing around the remains of a village to reach a high point to get into a wolves' den to find the emergency radio. It was really, really gripping and really made her into more of an actual character than she's ever been before. And man, it looks really good. I can't imagine what another year and a half is going to do for the game.

I remember seeing everything up to the end of your first paragraph.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

blackguy32 posted:

I remember seeing everything up to the end of your first paragraph.
I remember most of that as well as the Rape Escape QTEs that seemed pointless to me. Also they had Lara's moans and grunts turned up way loud, in a "the game designer must have some sort of fetish for female tennis athletes" way. I'm sure that stuff has gotten toned down by now though. Uh... I hope it has.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Has the Japanese PSN Updated yet?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Ape Agitator posted:

As someone who saw them in bargain bins but never played them, what did they mess up on? And does it look like they've fixed that problem from the gameplay video or is this just likely to be as bad.

I only played the first one. It was a long time ago so I don't remember a lot about the story or the graphics, but the game world was definitely not as well-realized as Rockstar's offerings in the genre at the time. It felt pretty sterile in comparison to R*'s cities, but in fairness those kind of vibrant, "living" environments have been a strong point of Rockstar for a long time.

I remember the hand-to-hand of Streets of LA as being a lot of fun. It had something similar the cool disarms and stuff that you could do in the original Dead to Rights (:black101:), and a much more fleshed out fighting mechanic. The thing that really ruined the game was terrible, terrible shooting. If I remember right, it did something really stupid like making you hold 2 buttons to aim and a third to shoot, or made you use the d-pad to aim or something equally tedious. Early in the game they put you up against a sniper on a balcony, and you had some small cover and a pistol. I never got past that part, and it was pretty disappointing because I had been enjoying the game quite a bit until then.

titties fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 30, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Feenix posted:

Has the Japanese PSN Updated yet?

Not yet. It's like almost 5 AM there right now.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Quest For Glory II posted:

I remember most of that as well as the Rape Escape QTEs that seemed pointless to me. Also they had Lara's moans and grunts turned up way loud, in a "the game designer must have some sort of fetish for female tennis athletes" way. I'm sure that stuff has gotten toned down by now though. Uh... I hope it has.

What the gently caress is this. :stare:

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Do we have anything on the NA release of Deadly Premonition for PS3? I remember reading an article some time ago, they even said that it might have some new content, but nothing else. It is my most anticipated release of (possibly) 2012, if it is truly coming.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Code Jockey posted:

Funny this weird conversation came up because I was looking at Way of the Samurai 4 stuff and found this. Oh Japan, just when I thought that you couldn't get any weirder with that skirt cutting stuff in Way of the Samurai 3.

The series is slowly turning into Japanese Saints Row.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I don't know what that is but it looks loving terrible.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Code Jockey posted:

Well it's been a year since they showed the game at E3 but that's what I remember. At random points of the demo some yokel would reach out and grab Lara and try to pull her back into The Rape Void and you had to QTE your way out of his grip. It happened multiple times.

E3 2011 wasn't as fun as 2010 but that's one of the bullet points from my short list of "that's kinda dumb" memories.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

VisAbsoluta posted:

Do we have anything on the NA release of Deadly Premonition for PS3? I remember reading an article some time ago, they even said that it might have some new content, but nothing else. It is my most anticipated release of (possibly) 2012, if it is truly coming.

SWERY will apparently be talking about it at E3.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

VisAbsoluta posted:

I thought that they were also improving the gameplay and graphics but I don't remember if I actually read that in an article or if it was just the pipe dream of some goon.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

axleblaze posted:

I thought that they were also improving the gameplay and graphics but I don't remember if I actually read that in an article or if it was just the pipe dream of some goon.

No, you didn't dream it up or anything. Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut is a real thing that will be shown at E3.

gently caress, this'll be the third time I've bought this drat game.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

axleblaze posted:

Yes, my post was ambiguous, I meant "nothing else" as in "no other news about the re-release".

Thanks, Policenaut, I'm excited for finally playing it! :woop:

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Policenaut posted:

No, you didn't dream it up or anything. Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut is a real thing that will be shown at E3.

gently caress, this'll be the third time I've bought this drat game.

Oh my... I can suffer through the combat one more time just for the incredible internal monologues when driving.

Also peeping into Thomas' window at night to see him baking/dancing/whatever he likes to do when he's home alone.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Hal Incandenza posted:

Oh my... I can suffer through the combat one more time just for the incredible internal monologues when driving.
If they're doing a Director's Cut, it wouldn't surprise me if they flat out added a no-combat feature.

... which would probably be enough to get me to buy it. "By turning combat difficulty to zero, the enemies do zero damage to you / can't grab you, allowing you to run through those sequences as you please"

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Shalinor posted:

If they're doing a Director's Cut, it wouldn't surprise me if they flat out added a no-combat feature.

... which would probably be enough to get me to buy it. "By turning combat difficulty to zero, the enemies do zero damage to you / can't grab you, allowing you to run through those sequences as you please"

That's how the game was originally designed, wasn't it? The publisher asked for some combat sections to be put in, but it isn't nearly as good as the actual investigating.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Deadly Premonition's combat is a footnote. You can earn the infinite ammo sub machine gun about an hour or two after you start, and when you do the combat is basically "point at enemy, hold trigger" (barring the exception of one enemy type near the end)

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Policenaut posted:

Deadly Premonition's combat is a footnote. You can earn the infinite ammo sub machine gun about an hour or two after you start, and when you do the combat is basically "point at enemy, hold trigger" (barring the exception of one enemy type near the end)

Yes, but it still takes you out of the GOOD parts of the game for like 30 minutes every once in awhile while you shoot warping upside down crab-lady zombies. I don't think I died in combat EVER in the game, even before unlocking unlimited ammo guns.

Removing it entirely would be amazingly good news.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Hal Incandenza posted:

Yes, but it still takes you out of the GOOD parts of the game for like 30 minutes every once in awhile while you shoot warping upside down crab-lady zombies. I don't think I died in combat EVER in the game, even before unlocking unlimited ammo guns.

Removing it entirely would be amazingly good news.

Plus I know quite a few non-gamers who are suuuper into playing this after seeing that it's pretty much Twin Peaks: The Game, but have no desire to play poorly designed combat sections and would rather just be able to play an entire game of peeking through windows and eating sandwiches without having to pass a controller off every time they get to a combat section. Just take out the enemies and have you walk around spooky houses and whatever, and maybe add a cutscene of Morgan shooting the bad guy and automatically winning whenever a mandatory boss fight comes up.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Here's how combat should have been handled:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbw1-e59g9w

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Made me nostalgic as gently caress. Die Hard Arcade was so good

Shalinor posted:

I'd buy it in a heartbeat

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ok it's 11 am in Japan. When does their store tend to update?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, I'd actually be interested in the game then as I was completely turned off by all the videos/reports of how terrible the combat was.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
All I want in Deadly Premonition is the ability to put waypoints on maps. I suck at navigating maps in games and when the game just kind of expected me to find my own way around I just kind of gave up on it.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I want an option for the map to zoom out further and to stop rotating while driving.

demons.
Apr 20, 2012

The Max Anarchy demo is available if you do a search for it. It's 1820 MB.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

demons. posted:

The Max Anarchy demo is available if you do a search for it. It's 1820 MB.
How do you search for it? I don't know moon language.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Well decided to play Odin Sphere on my tour of "oh poo poo I forgot I bought that" game playing, and it's awesome, and it looks amazing, and then I hit the purple dragon boss thing in the first act and ragequit because holy goddamn balls that thing is destroying me :psyduck:

I know I'm probably a big idiot babby who's terrible at video games but drat that thing is having me for dinner. Specifically the dragon triggering the falling debris and the fact there's no invulnerability period after being hit, so I end up getting juggled and losing enough HP that it swallows me and kills me. I know I should be blocking but it's like even that's not enough, it ends up swallowing me anyway, so I try to outrun stuff but inevitably get hit, then juggled, then eaten. I had it down to like an inch of life but it got me in a lucky shot and that was it.

Oh well, downloading AC2 now, I'll give that a try while I stop bein mad at video games. :arghfist::saddowns:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

The Max Anarchy demo is up on the Japanese PSN now without searching. For some reason, Sony didn't update the recent releases tab but its right there "MAX ANARCHY" on the upper right hand "What's New" list you can access.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

How do you search for it? I don't know moon language.

Luckily, the title is in English.
Click on the Search icon in the Playstation Store, then the empty text box, and it will bring up the on-screen keyboard in Japanese. Hit Select 3 times to pull up the alphabet and then type in "max anarchy". In the results, the demo is the icon surrounded by a red border with PS3 on the left side.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MUFFlNS posted:

If you just want to admire pretty graphics then play Uncharted 2, Uncharted 3, Wipeout HD, God of War 3, Killzone 2, Killzone 3, Gran Turismo 5 and yeah you get the idea.

I think when it comes to pure realism, I've never seen a game on any console or PC look as realistic as Gran Turismo 5. You can snap photos in that game that honestly look real, it's insane. The game runs at 1080p 60fps too which makes it a technical marvel too when it comes to console games, but the star of the show is definitely the lighting engine. Here's some eyecandy to prove my point:

Dude, not a single one of these screenshots is representative of the actual gameplay. The real game looks nothing like this. This is so blatantly misleading, and you know it.

You can't show those screenshots, with all of the filtered effects stacked on top to make them look really good, and then not show this;

Which is a true representation of over 80% of the cars in the game.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 31, 2012

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

axleblaze posted:

All I want in Deadly Premonition is the ability to put waypoints on maps. I suck at navigating maps in games and when the game just kind of expected me to find my own way around I just kind of gave up on it.

I would just like for them to fix the combat and driving. The driving is terrible and the combat is terrible, but there are a lot of sidequests that give you combat options as rewards. The narrative was really good, but pretty much all of the gameplay sections were terrible.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Not very far yet (tutorial only) but be warned. MAX ANARCHY is supposedly pre-localized if you want to import, but take note... THE DEMO IS NOT.

STRAIGHT UP SANSCRIT. Good luck with understanding anything written and most of what's spoken.

If anyone wants to shed any light on some of the more complex tutorial stuff, I'd be appreciative.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

The Anarchy Reigns demo has a language select feature in the Options menu. It will be hard to see in Japanese, but in Options it is the 5th item down from the top. Select it and you'll see 3 sub-options all with the same Japanese characters. Switch all of them over with the D-Pad and you'll see the word "ENGLISH".

After doing this, quit out to the main menu. It'll save your settings and the game will now be in 100% English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm not seeing Max Anarchy being the next GOTY, but it sure does have a kind of wild sense of fun about it.

• Locked thread