Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

New Snapshot! :toot:

http://www.mojang.com/2012/05/minecraft-snapshot-week-22/

quote:

Snapshot time! Quick overview of changes:
    Trading with villagers has been updated
    Enchantment system has been rebalanced
    A new Redstone-activating block
    Better Creative inventory
    Pausing should work in single-player now :allears:
    Some minor terrain changes
    Added an “adventure” game mode (/gamemode 2), but requires more work :aaa:
    A lot of smaller changes and fixes

Get the snapshot here:

Client: http://assets.minecraft.net/12w22a/minecraft.jar
Server: http://assets.minecraft.net/12w22a/minecraft_server.jar (or EXE)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The AngryScientist
Jan 1, 2011

WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM, HUH?!

And Rotten Flesh is now back to being useless. Yay.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wait wait what does this Adventure Mode do? Incomplete, I know, but what does it do at the moment?

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.

MikeJF posted:

Wait wait what does this Adventure Mode do? Incomplete, I know, but what does it do at the moment?
At the moment it just means you can't break or place any blocks, as far as I can tell.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
The enchanting system has had the max level taken down to 30 and apparently you may only need 15? bookcases now to reach max enchant level. Enchantments will be either level III or IV at max level now. You can also earn XP now by mining and smelting ores! This update is looking to be pretty great.

Fake Edit: NEW DUNGEON FOUND! It's a mossy cobble temple which naturally generates with sticky pistons and trip wires! Here are the coordinates and seed (found this on reddit):

Seed: 3722965013255450314
World Type: Normal
Coords x:-477 y:77.6 z: 304.6

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

There's now an adventure mode, gamemode 2. You can also now set the default gamemode for players entering the server via /defaultgamemode.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Empty/Full Minecart Detector

Did skeletons always drop enchanted bows?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

tinaun posted:

Did skeletons always drop enchanted bows?

It's an incredibly rare drop, like one in a hundred or something.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
In one session I got a Power 1 bow from a skeleton and an iron helmet from a zombie. That was special.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Fuego Fish posted:

It's an incredibly rare drop, like one in a hundred or something.

A skeleton has a 1:40 chance to drop a bow, and each bow has a 1:5 chance of being enchanted. This works out to be a 1:200 of dropping an enchanted bow.

This is only true if the skeleton is killed by a player. Skeletons killed through environmental damage never drop bows.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Single use, though, it seems.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Single use, though, it seems.

According to this video, tripwires reset themselves after being tripped:

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012
I thought this thread would appreciate this game.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05/31/starforge-has-blocks-building-much-much-more/

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Schwarzwald posted:

A skeleton has a 1:40 chance to drop a bow, and each bow has a 1:5 chance of being enchanted. This works out to be a 1:200 of dropping an enchanted bow.

This is only true if the skeleton is killed by a player. Skeletons killed through environmental damage never drop bows.

Well, I was fairly close :v:

Also, this new adventure mode blocks has got me thinking of a new variant of the Ultra Hardcore/Hunger Games style scenario: build a big and complex map full of buildings and the like, hide stuff likes weapons in treasure chests all over the shop. So while the players can't mine for iron or whatever, it does mean that they're actively going to be out looking to ambush their competition. Or fleeing for their lives.

Makes for good television either way.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Laser Spider posted:

According to this video, tripwires reset themselves after being tripped:

Oh, okay!

What is it that tripwires do that pressure plates didn't, besides being harder to see and allowing for mid-air tripping? Not that that's unwelcome.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Oh, okay!

What is it that tripwires do that pressure plates didn't, besides being harder to see and allowing for mid-air tripping? Not that that's unwelcome.

Unless you have shears, breaking a tripwire will always cause a signal to occur, which will be very useful in traps. Tripwires also have length versus pressure plates (up to 19 blocks of wire) and can activate two things at once much easier.

A fun thing I found with tripwires is that alongside with dispensers you can make time-dependent lava traps. Just running past a tripwire hooked with a dispenser won't make it spit out the lava, only by standing on the wire will the lava be dispersed fully. You can use this with an activated dispenser (via a lever) for a time-dependent gateway through a lava/waterfall.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Oh, okay!

You can make an entire row of blocks be easily wired to a trap. To achieve a similar functionality with pressure plates, you'd have to build a redstone wire, place blocks on top of that, and then place pressure plates on top of all of those. Tripwires are also less expensive to build, requiring just two tripwire hooks (one plank + one stick + one bar of iron makes two hooks) and up to 18 pieces of string, versus two planks or smoothstone per pressure plate.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Oh, okay!

Make longer trigger spots, and activate if destroyed, and additionally trigger two diffeernt sides at once. I'm curious if they can trigger by water/lava flowing over them.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Can you trigger the tripwire by falling through it? That seems like it could be extremely useful.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I can't wait to make an alarmed perimeter fence out of stacked tripwires and music blocks :allears:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Fuego Fish posted:

Also, this new adventure mode blocks has got me thinking of a new variant of the Ultra Hardcore/Hunger Games style scenario: build a big and complex map full of buildings and the like, hide stuff likes weapons in treasure chests all over the shop. So while the players can't mine for iron or whatever, it does mean that they're actively going to be out looking to ambush their competition. Or fleeing for their lives.

Here's a thought, what if tools didn't lose durability in adventure mode, but at the same time you couldn't craft? The player won't have to worry about their items breaking, but at the same time they would be dependent on what they could find in the map.

Imagine your playing and you come across a tunnel leading deep into the earth. Within there are pressure plate would shoot arrows from the walls, and tripwires that dispense poison potions from the ceiling. In one room, a set of unseen pistons will slowly lower the ceiling, block by block, killing you unless you find and push the hidden button that stops them.

At the end of one corridor there is locked door that can not be opened unless four switches, which are hidden elsewhere in the structure, are found and activated. Behind the locked door is a single chest, which contains your reward for conquering the dungeon: a stone sword.

Until now you were still using the wooden one a testificate handed you at the beginning of the map.

Afterwards you leave the cave and make your way north across the map. There's a bandit fort up ahead with a leather cap inside, and you need the extra armor before you take on the Tower of Creepers that lies to the south east.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Al! posted:

Can you trigger the tripwire by falling through it? That seems like it could be extremely useful.
I can't place them in air, is there a technique for doing that? Nevermind, I figured it out; the answer is yes.

That said, they set off note blocks just fine.

fondue fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 31, 2012

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Schwarzwald posted:

Here's a thought, what if tools didn't lose durability in adventure mode, but at the same time you couldn't craft? The player won't have to worry about their items breaking, but at the same time they would be dependent on what they could find in the map.

Imagine your playing and you come across a tunnel leading deep into the earth. Within there are pressure plate would shoot arrows from the walls, and tripwires that dispense poison potions from the ceiling. In one room, a set of unseen pistons will slowly lower the ceiling, block by block, killing you unless you find and push the hidden button that stops them.

At the end of one corridor there is locked door that can not be opened unless four switches, which are hidden elsewhere in the structure, are found and activated. Behind the locked door is a single chest, which contains your reward for conquering the dungeon: a stone sword.

Until now you were still using the wooden one a testificate handed you at the beginning of the map.

Afterwards you leave the cave and make your way north across the map. There's a bandit fort up ahead with a leather cap inside, and you need the extra armor before you take on the Tower of Creepers that lies to the south east.

Are you talking about developing a Legend of Zelda Minecraft map? Because I would play that forever.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Someone REALLY needs to create an actual world for these UHC guys. Fuuuuuck, I'd love that.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Please tell me that one can not set off their own tripwire.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Fren posted:

Please tell me that one can not set off their own tripwire.

That seems like it would be inconsistent with just about every other game mechanic

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh, did the new stair model make it into this? :ohdear:

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Fuego Fish posted:

Well, I was fairly close :v:

The Yogscast is actually doing something exactly like that (minus the block breaking). A giant map, with treasure chests and essentially you have to kill your opponents to get more stuff:

(Second episode)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvLuBrTZ4ys

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Foehammer posted:

That seems like it would be inconsistent with just about every other game mechanic

It would be. It would also be the only way they'd have any real use. Why on earth would I set traps in my base or something if I were constantly activating them myself?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I really don't see why not having trip wire be some mystical thing that knows its owner and lets him walk through it makes it useless.

The advantage you have with your traps is that you know about them. And I'd imagine this is going to be useful for more than just traps.

Alaster
Nov 18, 2006

Hanging just next to your door in the hallway is a painting of an EXQUISITE WIZARD. Your mother collects these awful things IRONICALLY.

Fren posted:

It would be. It would also be the only way they'd have any real use. Why on earth would I set traps in my base or something if I were constantly activating them myself?

make an AND gate with the output going to the traps, one input from the trip wire, and the other input going into a lever in your base.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.
I like the modifications to the experience system in the snapshot. I was playing for an hour (or so) and I got up to level 70 (or so). Because I was swimming in XP, I actually bothered to enchant things.

Plus, I like getting XP whilst mining coal :) There's just something satisfying about it.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Alasdair Crawfish posted:

make an AND gate with the output going to the traps, one input from the trip wire, and the other input going into a lever in your base.

There you go. That's why you're the thinker and I'm just the pretty face.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
This looks really neat, but the playable version is hardly more than a tech demo right now. I really do like the atmosphere, and perhaps the most impressive part so far is how your character's movements and inputs are separate, meaning you can be knocked onto your back and keep firing even as you see your lower body come into frame, scrambling back to your feet while shooting. It's very neat. Also I kept chopping trees to land them on my face.

It's got promise, but too early to say much more just yet.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I see a couple of servers in the private games forum but can anybody recommend any of them specifically for a new player who just wants to mine and craft stuff?

I'd like a server where the average number of players online is ~10 - 15 or whatever and will let me ask stupid questions on how to build or do different things :)

(Also, no PVP or griefing ....)

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Vinlaen posted:

I see a couple of servers in the private games forum but can anybody recommend any of them specifically for a new player who just wants to mine and craft stuff?

I'd like a server where the average number of players online is ~10 - 15 or whatever and will let me ask stupid questions on how to build or do different things :)

(Also, no PVP or griefing ....)

The WilsonSMP server has a pretty great community of core players and no real PvP or griefing, but they just moved to a new setup with a ton of new mods, and their current map is temporary, so you shouldn't start any long projects there.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Iacen posted:

The Yogscast is actually doing something exactly like that (minus the block breaking). A giant map, with treasure chests and essentially you have to kill your opponents to get more stuff:

(Second episode)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvLuBrTZ4ys

I haven't really paid much attention to Minecraft recently but I came back tot his thread to see if anyone was talking about this series of videos. I found it incredibly entertaining, and I watched each episode from every perspective and I highly recommend it. This, to me, is how Minecraft should be played. If there were options for highly customizable player permissions (what one player can or cannot craft/place/mine) this type of game would be the most fun I could have with Minecraft.

At the very least, check out these videos from everyone's perspectives. It's just cool to see how things unfold.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm watching the Yogscast videos where they play the Xbox version of Minecraft and... why in the world aren't some of the things in that version in the PC version? Things like the crafting book that shows how to craft what, and hints about what you do with blocks when you first encounter them. It instantly makes you understand what the gently caress you're supposed to do for newcomers. Why in the world would they not have that in the "real" version of Minecraft? :psyduck:

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

I'm honestly surprised by the XP for mining addition. Pleased, but surprised. I've been running a bukkit mod for months on my private server that does almost exactly that, except you get the XP direct, rather than as orbs.

It seemed such an obvious thing to have in a game about mining (with 'mine' in the title) that I honestly didn't think Mojang would have common sense enough to ever add it. Bravo to them, I say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
Man, the thing I'm waiting for them to add is the mod where if you cut down any part of the tree, all the logs fall at once rather than having to punch each block out individually.