Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Pron on VHS posted:

I'm looking for a nonfiction book on the Civil War, something that looks at the conflict from a different or interesting angle, and is well written and easy to read with lots of engaging facts and stories.

If you're in for the long haul, try Bruce Catton's three volume history: The Coming Fury, Terrible Swift Sword, and Never Call Retreat. Catton begins with the Democratic and Republican conventions of 1860 and from there covers every facet of the secession and war. His prose is easy to read and he does a good job interweaving little personal stories into the grand arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Magna Kaser posted:

Hey, I'm looking for a somewhat easily accessible sci-fi book, language-wise.

Gene Wolf. No, seriously, maybe some Dick or Bradbury short story collections?

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Any recommendations for free popular classics off the kindle section (or the google book app section, or any other book apps that offer free books that the android can handle?). With my laptop broke I have to put up with reading on my phone and I've yet to find any free book on my android thats worth putting up with the hassle of reading on such a small screen. Any suggestions?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Any recommendations for free popular classics off the kindle section (or the google book app section, or any other book apps that offer free books that the android can handle?). With my laptop broke I have to put up with reading on my phone and I've yet to find any free book on my android thats worth putting up with the hassle of reading on such a small screen. Any suggestions?

All depends, there's lots out there. A few gems:

The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins -- one of if not the first mystery novels, still excellent

The Night Land by William Hope Hodgson -- deep future sci-fi horror, major influence ON Lovecraft. May want to skip the prologue.

John Carter of Mars and Tarzan books by Edgar Rice Burroughs -- very early pulp

She by H. Rider Haggard -- very early pulp

Lots of Lord Dunsany's stuff is public domain -- look for "Idle Days on the Yann"

"The Man Who Would be King" by Kipling is some of Kipling's best shorter work. You could also try Kipling's _Kim_.

The first Jeeves and Wooster book (My Man Jeeves?) is public domain.

Mark Twain's Roughing It is a really interesting autobiographical sketch of his early life out west, very interesting nonfiction.

I could go on like this for a while, I've spent about 3 years now mostly reading free kindle downloads. So just ask for something specific and I'll let you know what's out there.

LesterBlanks
Jul 27, 2011
Can anyone recommend a good nonfiction book on the Renaissance, maybe not focussing too much on the art and going more into the philosophical and sociological changes during that period ? I've heard good things about Will Durant but I don't know if there maybe is something that focuses more on what I'm interested in.

Solar Jetman
Dec 13, 2004

monsters get slain

Kneel Before Zog posted:

You could try going to a library, they have free books?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Every few years I find myself re-reading Charles MacKay's Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds, especially the long section on the crusades which is angry and hilariously unfair.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

dokmo posted:

Every few years I find myself re-reading Charles MacKay's Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds, especially the long section on the crusades which is angry and hilariously unfair.

Oh, awesome, there's finally a free kindle edition of that up! I'd checked a year or two ago and there wasn't yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Memoirs-Extraordinary-Popular-Delusions-ebook/dp/B004TP6B1O/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1337873838&sr=1-1

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

LesterBlanks posted:

Can anyone recommend a good nonfiction book on the Renaissance, maybe not focussing too much on the art and going more into the philosophical and sociological changes during that period ? I've heard good things about Will Durant but I don't know if there maybe is something that focuses more on what I'm interested in.

I picked up a copy of Jacob Burckhardt's The Civilization of the Renaissance in Italy a few days ago when I was looking for something similar but I haven't read it yet. It might be worth looking into.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I ended up grabbing Battle Cry of Freedom for my American Civil War request, thanks guys!

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I could go on like this for a while, I've spent about 3 years now mostly reading free kindle downloads. So just ask for something specific and I'll let you know what's out there.

Thanks. I've decided to check out Nietzsche's "Thus Spake Zarathustra". Will this book go over my head if I am not well versed in philosophy at all and it's my first Nietzsche book?

TFNC
May 8, 2007

^^^^Capitalism^^^^

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Thanks. I've decided to check out Nietzsche's "Thus Spake Zarathustra". Will this book go over my head if I am not well versed in philosophy at all and it's my first Nietzsche book?

Probably, but that's OK. I was in the same position when I first read it and I didn't get through it. Give it a shot, though. I still managed to find some rewarding moments (even if, looking back, my take on them was a little wonky). The prose can be frustrating but it's also strangely digestible.

TFNC fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 26, 2012

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I'm about 700 pages into Phillip Norman's John Lennon: The Life, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend similar biographies of the other Beatles?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Yes, absolutely. Neitzche deliberately wrote very enigmatically, and most translations from the German are very, very, very poor to boot, so it's extremely difficult to "get" his work without detailed explanatory notes. Overall this is one of the few books I'd recommend not reading on kindle and getting a good translation of with good critical notes, maybe this one: http://www.amazon.com/The-Portable-Nietzsche-Library/dp/0140150625

If you're looking for introductory philosophy I'd say look for Camus. He's very accessible.

If you want free philosophy on kindle, maybe start with Machiavelli's The Prince.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 26, 2012

Maksamakkara
Jan 22, 2006
I am looking recommendations for "good novels" i.e. that are written well and more importantly have believable and well fleshed out characters. I am not necessary looking for classics but something contemporary. Subject can be anything from dragon slayer wizards to day-to-day life of modern bus drivers.

Things that I am not into:
-pages long descriptions of surroundings (buildings, nature)
-characters that are old (they be boring, sorry)
-flat characters and unbelievable motivations
-twist endings and contrived plots

Lollybean
Feb 16, 2011
I need to find a book to pair with A Visit From the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan in a comparative study.
The book needs to have similar themes and have at least some similarities structurally or in the literary techniques.

A Visit From the Goon Squad has a non linear timeline. It's apparently post post modernism because of its use of slide shows as a chapter.

Themes
-consumerist society
-escaping aging
-youth obsessed culture
-placing work/money over family and ending up isolated and unfulfilled because of it(similar to Willy Loman in Death of a Salesman)
-status anxiety.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Maksamakkara posted:

I am looking recommendations for "good novels" i.e. that are written well and more importantly have believable and well fleshed out characters. I am not necessary looking for classics but something contemporary. Subject can be anything from dragon slayer wizards to day-to-day life of modern bus drivers.

I read mainly literary fiction so someone else will have to handle the wizards, but these are the last few modern novels I've read and liked:

The Art of Fielding - Chad Harbach. There's a big, spoilery discussion about it in the "just finished" thread if you want to get an idea of what to expect(all the spoilers are covered up, of course). It's very well-written and believable, but has a couple problems. Most notably the female characters are just kinda...there.

Freedom - Jonathon Franzen. My favorite book in the last few years. Follows a main trio of characters from college to middle age, their kids, etc. Some people love it, some people hate it. You can probably find it cheap used. If you like his style then you can check out The Corrections, too. Same kinda "big slice of life" deal.

Chronic City - Jonathon Lethem. A very chill novel about a minor celebrity smoking a lot of pot with his weird friends and trying to figure out what reality they're in. Falls into the "not quite sci-fi" realm that I seem to like. Plus, Lethem's writing is polished without feeling flashy.

The Hummingbird's Daughter - Luis Alberto Urrea. I mention because its sequel just came out: The Queen of America. Kind of a big history of Mexico mixed with some mysticism and Urrea's family history. Fun characters put in difficult situations, a coming of age angle, etc etc. Mainly I like it because after awhile all the characters start to feel like family.

Netherland - Joseph O'Neill. A guy gets thrown for a loop when his wife leaves, gets caught up in the immigrant Cricket scene in New York City. That's a big oversimplification but that's the main story thread. All about the interesting characters the main guy meets. A quick read.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Maksamakkara posted:

Oh, man, I originally read that as things you wanted and I got real concerned. Check out Stewart O'Nan's Last Night at the Lobster or Songs For the Missing, both of which are about as real as any book I've read. Then go read Wish You Were Here and Emily, Alone to see how not-boring old people can be.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
I've been reading too much poo poo for work lately and I need something fun as a diversionary read. The last one of those I read (and really enjoyed) was Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan. I like the Cyberpunk-ish setting, but mostly I like the neo-noir style with the hardboiled, jaded, cynical protagonist (Takeshi Kovacs is a lot of fun to root for). I heard that the other books in that series stray from that format in general... can anyone recommend any other good neo/alternative noir novels? They don't have to be cyberpunk but I would like some sort of alternate setting to the traditional noir storyline.

And yes, I've already read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Maksamakkara posted:

Long-time TBB readers are probably thinking that I sound like a broken record, but for well-written believable characters and good writing I always recommend Jhumpa Lahiri. If the "novel" aspect is non-negotiable, the only one she has is The Namesake, but if you're open to short story collections, The Interpreter of Maladies is the one I'd recommend most. She has another short story collection called Unaccustomed Earth as well. In order of best to least-best I'd say it's Interpreter, Namesake, then Unaccustomed Earth, but they're all fantastic so you can just see which one interests you most.

They're basically all stories about Bengali immigrants to the US but only a few of them are "immigrant stories" per se, the others are dealing with more universal problems so don't let that throw you if you're worried that you won't be able to relate because you're not an Indian immigrant or whatever.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

OSheaman posted:

I've been reading too much poo poo for work lately and I need something fun as a diversionary read. The last one of those I read (and really enjoyed) was Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan. I like the Cyberpunk-ish setting, but mostly I like the neo-noir style with the hardboiled, jaded, cynical protagonist (Takeshi Kovacs is a lot of fun to root for).

Simon Morden's Petrovich Trilogy

Maksamakkara
Jan 22, 2006
Big, big thanks to Static Rook, funkybottoms and WeaponGradeSadness. I read slowly, so these books are more than enough for at least for this summer's reading. Here's to hoping local Finnish library system has them.

Still though interested if anyone wants to recommend fantasy and scifi in line with my previous post. I have read very little those genres lately. I like e.g. Iain M. Banks and Vernor Vinge but for example Alistair Reynolds' characters are too wooden for me to wholly enjoy his books. Martin's Song of fire and ice and Hobb's The Farseer Trilogy are the only fantasy I have read and liked in the last 20 years. I tried Malazan books but despite the epic feel they felt really bad all around.

Maksamakkara fucked around with this message at 09:51 on May 29, 2012

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants
I'm in the middle of a horrible fit of depression and need something to make me feel better. Usually when I'm sad I read P. G. Wodehouse or Agatha Christie or Rumpole of the Bailey. That's the kind of thing I'm after, something sort of light and silly and absorbing. Mysteries are a plus!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

girl pants posted:

I'm in the middle of a horrible fit of depression and need something to make me feel better. Usually when I'm sad I read P. G. Wodehouse or Agatha Christie or Rumpole of the Bailey. That's the kind of thing I'm after, something sort of light and silly and absorbing. Mysteries are a plus!

The Red House Mystery by A.A. Milne (yes, the Winnie-the-Pooh Milne). Should be free on Kindle.

If you haven't already read them, the Lord Peter Wimsey series by Dorothy Sayers. Maybe G.K. Chesterton's Father Brown mysteries.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 30, 2012

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
So, is The Hangman's Daughter any good? I ask because I've got a chance to get a free copy of this and the sequel The Dark Monk in exchange for reviewing both books, but I don't want to have to slog through two terrible books if they're not worth a read.

As a general rule, I'm not much into mystery novels, so I'm a bit iffy on the whole thing.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

I'm looking for books on the history of the British Empire, French Empire, or anything really on imperialism and colonialism.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Krataar posted:

I'm looking for books on the history of the British Empire, French Empire, or anything really on imperialism and colonialism.

Not exactly what you're looking for but I picked up To Rule the Waves on a whim as a used book store once and found it really interesting, I'm not normally into history books but found it entertaining and easy to read without feeling it had been dumbed down whatsoever. I definitely recommend it.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Krataar posted:

You may find Eric Hobsbawm's The Age of Empire interesting. It's focused more on the domestic than colonial side of Imperialism, but it's otherwise very comprehensive.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

While looking up a word I didn't know (Apollyon), I once again remembered how loving metal old Semitic lore was. Are there any good books that take advantage of that? I mean, you have a plague of locusts shaped like horses with human heads, big-rear end teeth, wings, and a scorpion tail. It seems like there's potential there.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
I asked for a recommendation earlier in this thread but got no replies, so I'll dare to ask for one again:

What are some good books on the Israel-Palestine? Books that at least aim towards being unbiased? Some people I know have recommended O Jerusalem...I was wondering if you guys know of any other texts?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Looking for a work of fiction, that 1) Isn't by Roger Zelazny and 2) in which the protagonist is an anti-hero,more of a craven/dishonorable sort than brooding hate machine, I am looking for Deadpool, not The Punisher if you're a comic nerd.

Books I've Read

Taltos Series - Steven Brust

Chronicles of Amber - Roger Zelazny

Kingkiller Chronicle - Patrick Rothfuss

The Lies of Locke Lemora - Scott Lynch

TFNC
May 8, 2007

^^^^Capitalism^^^^

Radio Talmudist posted:

I asked for a recommendation earlier in this thread but got no replies, so I'll dare to ask for one again:

What are some good books on the Israel-Palestine? Books that at least aim towards being unbiased? Some people I know have recommended O Jerusalem...I was wondering if you guys know of any other texts?

You'll probably have better luck with this request in D&D's book thread.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

KildarX posted:

Looking for a work of fiction, that 1) Isn't by Roger Zelazny and 2) in which the protagonist is an anti-hero,more of a craven/dishonorable sort than brooding hate machine, I am looking for Deadpool, not The Punisher if you're a comic nerd.

Books I've Read

You could try the Cugel the Clever books (Dying Earth series) by Jack Vance. If you don't mind going outside of fantasy, try the Flashman series by George Mcdonald Fraser.

Entropicus
Oct 6, 2007

IF THERE'S AN OP, I DIDN'T READ IT. ALSO, I HAVE NEVER USED GOOGLE OR WIKIPEDIA. MIND IF I ASK A FEW QUESTIONS?
Can anyone recommend a book(s) that cover succesfully moving from being a childs moms' boyfriend to stepfather.

Or being a successful stepfather in general I guess would work as well(I know there is ton of those type of self help books), but Im more looking around to see if theres literature on the proper path for the transition and some dos and donts.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
Bit of an obscure ask but I'm looking for fiction set in modern day Tokyo. Not too worried about the genre as long as it's not an overly romanticised drama. Gritty Tokyo is better.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

KildarX posted:

Books I've Read

Have you tried the First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Phummus posted:

Have you tried the First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie?

Now that sounds about perfect for him. Great fantasy series.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You could try the Cugel the Clever books (Dying Earth series) by Jack Vance. If you don't mind going outside of fantasy, try the Flashman series by George Mcdonald Fraser.

I don't know jack poo poo about fantasy outside of ASoIaF, but I'll second the Flashman series if you have any interest in history. The books are hilarious and Flashman is my absolute favorite anti-hero.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Are there any good books that take place in ancient Rome/Greece but aren't about actual historical figures or kings or generals or whatnot? Ideally something non-military as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
What are some quality books that have unreliable narrators? Possibly (but not necessarily) ones with narrators who are unreliable because of psychiatric issues like delusions?

If there is a twist involved, please try not to spoil it.

Please, nothing from Palahniuk.