Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Hopefully if the stretch goal isn't reached, they'll do another Kickstarter for TNG but with a goal of $55k minus whatever extra they raised from Twilight Zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Finally got paid. TODAY I PITCH IN MY TEN BUCKS!

Sorry excited.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

WhiteHowler posted:

Counterpoint:

Yes, Shaq Ataq loving rules. You shoot the ball off a ramp into a moving basket, it's a lot of fun.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

BiggerJ posted:

Sorry to double-post, but where the gently caress did that money actually come from? My mathemacalculatron tells me that the average pledge was almost 94 dollars - dwarfing the previous day's 27.26! Perhaps one or more guys donated a large amount - if a big amount, it won't be a complete disaster, but it won't be cool.

All of that came in within like 2 hours so probably a giant pledge.

Also dunno if it's old news or not but according to several vpforums posts Farsight's working on Stern SAM emulation which seems to imply we'll get some newer Stern tables at some point, probably Monopoly because I'm guessing the licensing wouldn't be much compared to the rest of their tables. I have no problem with this at all because Monopoly owns.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

If the amount of pledges didn't increase significantly, there might also be lots of people increasing their existing pledge to help reaching the stretch goal.

Hopefully they'll make several new kickstarter projects after they release the TZ table, I'd donate again and again to get star trek, indiana jones and the addams family.

Dad Beer
Jun 11, 2007
I felt like, this guy's really hurting me. And it hurt.
My local Funhouse table has been replaced by an Indianapolis 500. I hope the Xbox DLC comes out soon so I can play hit Rudy in the face some more, but does anybody know if that Indy 500 table is any good?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
As much as it would be great (and easier) to bring back some original pinball machines. It would be hella rad if Pinball Arcade would bring back weird licensed tables like Johnny Mnemonic or The Shadow.

Also I dropped $15 on tables for Pinball Arcade and it after exiting the game it doesn't acknowledge I bought any of them. :|

Disease
Oct 6, 2011

bucketmouse posted:

probably Monopoly

Welcome to Pinball Arcade, where you can play tables designed by Pat Lawlor and John Popadiuk, but absolutely no one else.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Disease posted:

Welcome to Pinball Arcade, where you can play tables designed by Pat Lawlor and John Popadiuk, but absolutely no one else.
I fail to see the problem here. :colbert:

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Disease posted:

uh and? What's wrong with Lawlor tables?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Zip posted:

uh and? What's wrong with Lawlor tables?

Nothing, but some more variety would be nice.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I don't like the sound emulation on Black Hole, honestly. It's really low quality and sounds step over themselves and don't start and stop in the right places. The table sounds great in PinMAME but Farsight's sound emulation rips it to pieces.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I just had an error trying to download Funhouse and CV. I would start the tables and all I saw was the HUD over a grey screen. The only solution was to delete the entire app and re-download everything. Lost all my high scores and wizard goals :waycool:

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Groucho Marxist posted:

I just had an error trying to download Funhouse and CV. I would start the tables and all I saw was the HUD over a grey screen. The only solution was to delete the entire app and re-download everything. Lost all my high scores and wizard goals :waycool:

Yeah, I've learned to not get too attached to my goals or scores on the Android version. :v:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I want this table to make it in to PA.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgx85BBMH3w

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I want to punch that guy in the mouth and then hit him in the head with a delicious root beer bottle for some reason.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Ok, now I'm going to have to go install this one on my cabinet to check it out.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Interesting question for you guys: are there any pinball urban legends? Bad luck machines? Scary stories involving anything? I mean for regular arcade machines there's stories like Polybius and then of course regular urban legends about things you can or can't do in gaming. Kind of wondering if there's any pinball equivalent.

PardonMeHippo
Feb 18, 2011

WhiteHowler posted:

Counterpoint:

Someone get Shaq's attention on Twitter! Let's get this on TPA! :v:

For an example of a good Gottlieb DMD table, I submit Stargate.

PardonMeHippo fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 4, 2012

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Zip posted:

Interesting question for you guys: are there any pinball urban legends? Bad luck machines? Scary stories involving anything? I mean for regular arcade machines there's stories like Polybius and then of course regular urban legends about things you can or can't do in gaming. Kind of wondering if there's any pinball equivalent.

I think the idea of a ghost communicating through a DMD is the one thing less scary than a haunted N64 cartridge.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Boxman posted:

I think the idea of a ghost communicating through a DMD is the one thing less scary than a haunted N64 cartridge.

...and then a skeletal arm holding a photo of my family popped out from between the flippers and the thing that knocks the cabinet when you get a free game hammered out YOU ARE NEXT in morse code!!!

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I posted this in the Things you just bought thread but thought that it makes sense to post it here too.

I just bought 2 pinball machines.

#1 - Grand Lizard

Not my actual machine but mine is in near perfect condition.

#2 - F-14 Tomcat

Also not my actual machine.

These will go next to my Pinbot that is currently torn about for cleaning/repair.

I will post some pics of all 3 when I get Pinbot back together and pickup the f-14 in a week or so.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
Regarding urban legends, the only ones I've heard involve weird factory modifications to Twilight Zone machines and have a basis in reality:
http://gameroomblog.com/guides/twilight-zone-pinball-prototype-vs-production

And why would you want a ghost in a DMD when you could have cthulhu?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrPs9-_5vmc

More interesting DMD easter eggs and such here.
http://hem.bredband.net/b257182/Cows&Easter.htm

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

bucketmouse posted:

Regarding urban legends, the only ones I've heard involve weird factory modifications to Twilight Zone machines and have a basis in reality:
http://gameroomblog.com/guides/twilight-zone-pinball-prototype-vs-production

And why would you want a ghost in a DMD when you could have cthulhu?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrPs9-_5vmc

More interesting DMD easter eggs and such here.
http://hem.bredband.net/b257182/Cows&Easter.htm

Just a word of caution on that last easter egg link. My baracuda at work stopped the site...

Barracuda Web Filter posted:

The Web site you are trying to access has been blocked by the Barracuda Web Filter because it contains the following spyware: Spyware.Exploit.Misc.MU.hem.bredband.net

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Funhouse had terrible audio even in it's original pinball table release. I was hoping they might be able to get a hold of the original recordings of the actor doing the lines and remaster it, but it looks like they just used the original ROM as is.

By the way, the voice actor is Mortal Kombat's Ed Boon.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Holy poo poo you're not kidding. :psyduck:

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
So an update just hit for the iOS version of PA that fixes The Black Hole camera bug, as well as adding in a post processing option that just seems to add a grey filter to the game and it makes my new iPad run at a much lower framerate.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Toady posted:

By the way, the voice actor is Mortal Kombat's Ed Boon.

One of the writers for Giant Bomb said they asked Boon about voicing Rudy during an interview.

His response was something along the lines of "I don't remember how he talks. That was a very long time ago."

Maybe he's more proud about Mortal Kombat than kontinuing to be associated with a talking dummy.

iopred
Aug 14, 2005

Heli Attack!
On the same Ed Boon vein, he also did the programming on a lot of machines. Including Black Knight 2000 - in which the voice of the Black Knight is identical to the Mortal Kombat announcer.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

One of the writers for Giant Bomb said they asked Boon about voicing Rudy during an interview.

His response was something along the lines of "I don't remember how he talks. That was a very long time ago."

Maybe he's more proud about Mortal Kombat than kontinuing to be associated with a talking dummy.

He's tweeted about Pinball Arcade's release of Funhouse, so it's not like he doesn't want to be associated with it. I'm willing to bet "not remembering" is a nice way to avoid getting asked to do the voice all the time.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Gann Jerrod posted:

So an update just hit for the iOS version of PA that fixes The Black Hole camera bug, as well as adding in a post processing option that just seems to add a grey filter to the game and it makes my new iPad run at a much lower framerate.

Wow, I can't believe they even released that post-processing mode. It's pretty much unplayable even on the new iPad. Also, I hate having to redownload tables every update.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

iopred posted:

On the same Ed Boon vein, he also did the programming on a lot of machines. Including Black Knight 2000 - in which the voice of the Black Knight is identical to the Mortal Kombat announcer.
That'd be because Steve Ritchie - the designer of the Black Knight tables (and Star Trek TNG!) - was the announcer in MK2 and 3. Surprising amount of pinball in that series' bloodline, to be honest.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The Kins posted:

That'd be because Steve Ritchie - the designer of the Black Knight tables (and Star Trek TNG!) - was the announcer in MK2 and 3. Surprising amount of pinball in that series' bloodline, to be honest.

Well MK was created by Midway, think that accounts for the cross-pollination.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

petewhitley posted:

Wow, I can't believe they even released that post-processing mode. It's pretty much unplayable even on the new iPad.

That sounds really dumb. What's it supposed to do? Make the table look more like you're playing in a smokey bar?

And yeah the redownloading thing is really dumb and it's screwed me over a few times when travelling. :saddowns:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

petewhitley posted:

Wow, I can't believe they even released that post-processing mode. It's pretty much unplayable even on the new iPad. Also, I hate having to redownload tables every update.

I don't have a new iPad, is there a video anywhere or anything showing it off? I assumed from the description that it's supposed to be the same lighting that the console versions get, which would be cool. The description also implies that it's very much a "beta" feature though...

Ramagamma posted:

Well MK was created by Midway, think that accounts for the cross-pollination.

also on Theater of Magic if you do something (hold down a flipper when you launch the ball? not sure) it will give you Mortal Kombat cheat codes if you hit a certain ramp

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

goferchan posted:

I don't have a new iPad, is there a video anywhere or anything showing it off? I assumed from the description that it's supposed to be the same lighting that the console versions get, which would be cool. The description also implies that it's very much a "beta" feature though...

Not sure if there's a video (I'm probably the wrong guy to attempt to make one); I appreciate what they're trying to do, the lighting sorta looks better but it does seem like it just has a filter on it as Gann Jerrod said. Definitely not PS3 quality. If you have an iPad 1 and have been playing from day one, the frame rate seems to be worse than the Ripley's table was on the original iPad at release. So yeah, more or less unplayable. They did a good job optimizing Ripley's for older devices though, so here's to hoping they can work some magic on this.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
They did a great job optimizing Ripley's -- it was choppy as poo poo and I resigned myself to never playing it when I downloaded v1.00 of the app on my OG iPad but now it remains smooth even during multiball modes. Also I think that fix coincided with the improved textures they released so it both looked AND ran better. I'm frustrated with the bugs (and worse-- how the hell could they release Medieval Madness without even noticing that two of the game features were inaccessible thanks to Pinball Arcade's control scheme?) that keep popping up but it looks like Farsight is committed to fixing them all promptly. It makes me a little hesitant to recommend the game to everyone but as for me, personally, I'm having enough fun with the tables that I can definitely put up with the occasional weirdness.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
:argh: I just joined the cirqus in Cirqus Voltaire on the iPad Pinball Arcade and got the Party Multiball, where basically everything scores 1,000,000 points and the game locks me in the plunger camera view where I can't move the flippers. Soooo frustrated right now!

Edit: Oh look, new update :) Could it be that they straightened the CV table a bit? I usually felt that the ball would tend to fall to the right a little, which it looks like it doesn't anymore.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 5, 2012

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

goferchan posted:

I don't see the console's lighting system on my The New iPad. It looks like a subtle gray haze over everything along with a choppy framerate. I'm not sure why they included it since it practically does nothing.

quote:

also on Theater of Magic if you do something (hold down a flipper when you launch the ball? not sure) it will give you Mortal Kombat cheat codes if you hit a certain ramp

Medieval Madness will say "Toasty" and "Fatality" if you hit the right ramp enough times. A big list of pinball easter eggs is here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010
First look at a WOZ prototype at E3 (skip to about 1:11)

http://www.twitch.tv/geekgamertv/b/320469476