Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
At lvl 65, where are some respawning enemies I can use to get my party members' affinities up? Melia is a frostybox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mazed posted:

Sharla seems underrated. She's really good in the lead, I've found, particularly when you're going defensive. She saved my rear end a few times try to take down those bullshit fortress-mechon in Sword Valley.

On another note, I've noticed, with Seven (dammit, it sucks that everything about them is a spoiler :argh: ), the dynamic between this character and Reyn in their random exchanges is great.

If you have any siblings that you love to death but absolutely cannot resist messing with at every opportunity? This is exactly what they are.

The reason everyone ignores Sharla is because using her is tantamount to admitting defeat. Sharla is for BABIES.

BABIES. :stare:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Yeah, I guess...she kinda...is...

gently caress you, jiggle physics, I thought we grew out of this poo poo already.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Mazed posted:

Yeah, I guess...she kinda...is...

gently caress you, jiggle physics, I thought we grew out of this poo poo already.

Win fights by killing the enemy so hard and fast you don't even NEED that kind of healing or get out :colbert:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Heal via chain attacks :colbert: It is the only way other than Light Healing on Melia whenever she pulls aggro from dropping too many elemental burst chain 5x AOE attacks.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

At lvl 65, where are some respawning enemies I can use to get my party members' affinities up? Melia is a frostybox.

Either Agniratha or outside Colony 6, depending on how far you are in the story. All non-unique enemies respawn once you leave an area or fast-travel.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I stopped using Sharla as the main very quickly because it feels like it takes forever for her to strap that gun to her back after every battle. I am very busy, you see.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Also Sharla has by far the worst outfits of anyone in the entire game. It is almost impossible to make her not look like an idiot in the end game.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I threw her in full Alcyone (Rondine would also work, but I prefer Alcyone's colors), except for head where I gave her Master Glasses.

The glasses are unique, which I'm generally against - for things that aren't haste +45% gems in armor slots. But glasses are basically the one decent-looking thing you can stick on her head, and ether +75 isn't too subpar.

Endgame gearing is less about defensive stats and more about trying to find an outfit that actually works. (Except for Heropon and Herohom, both of whom pretty much look awesome in anything.)

Though if you don't care about appearances you could just throw (loving hideous) Lancelot on everyone and call it a day.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I put everyone in sunglasses at the end of the game, because it's not like I could really take the plot seriously at that point anyway.

My favorite Riki outfit is the one that makes him look like a big metal durian.

Edit: Here Riki go

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 4, 2012

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Truly spikey Riki is the best Riki.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Spikey-Riki is fuckin' :rock:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

But what about Jungle Riki? The PAWS.

Or Techno Riki, where it's just his eyes peeking out from an orb of mechanical armor?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Vil posted:

Or Techno Riki, where it's just his eyes peeking out from an orb of mechanical armor?

I always referred to that one as "Dwemer Riki". I'd never actually seen the one with the Russian(?) style helmet before, wonder what set it is a part of.

I'm really partial to the silly knit hat as well. What kind of hat is that anyway? I guess that doesn't count as a Toque?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Well, there are only nine basic appearance styles for each character, though within each style they differ slightly in accessories/frills and more-than-slightly in palette/coloration:

Light:
Swimsuit/unequipped
- Sleek, Snow, Cool, Swimming (Top), Mist, Diver, Swimming (Oil), Bikini
Feathery jungle gear
- Hierax, Blade, Panther, Jungle, Makna, Nopon
Default/starting appearance
- All other light armor

Medium:
Angelic looking armor
- Argos, Agrius, Rafaga, Inferno, Stellar, Mithril, Eryth
(Usually) bulky and generic RPG armor-ish looking, tends to have big shoulders
- I think this is the one you're referring to with the Russian hat?
- Retrieved, Gemini, Brandle, Lattice, Iron, Grand, Legar, Regnas
Tight form-fitting leather-like armor
- All other medium armor

Heavy:
Spikes, spikes, and more spikes
- Titan, Ledios, Heavy, Grady, Warrior
Circle and spiral motifs
- Asura, Rex, Orion
Very mechanical style
- Eclipse, Gracielle, M100, Taurus, Guardis, Empress

EDIT for obvious exception:

As far as Seven goes, she actually has four styles. These largely correspond with Power, Speed, Attack, and Ether/default, with the following exceptions:

Speed style includes Power IV and H Attack.
Attack style includes Z Power and Speed IV.
- (Use Speed IV if you want a Haste +45% body gem without the embarrassing speed style appearance. The gem's just as good as Speed V.)
Ether style includes Attack IV, Z Attack, and F Attack.

Aside from those, every piece of armor with Power, Speed, Attack, or Ether in its name is in the respective style.

Vil fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 5, 2012

wefeelgroove
Oct 21, 2010
I find myself equipping not the best armor but the least silly-looking. I really don't need my roommates walking in while my party is a couple of shirtless dudes and a chick in a bikini plastered up on the big screen TV. Having your clothes change with different armor is a nifty idea but oh god, so much fanservice, and in both directions! Oddly enough, my Riki is currently naked save for his goofy knit hat, but he doesn't count because he's an adorable ball of fluff. :3

I don't really have a favorite party combo yet, mostly because every combination seems to work flawlessly. It's really great that there's no useless load in the party; everybody's got a niche and there have been very few occasions where my group wasn't just made up of whoever I felt like having in the party at the time.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Am I correct that there's no real use for lower-level crystals, cylinders and gems once I have access to their higher-level counterparts? Like, say, I can't synthesize a gem from a level I and level II crystal together? And now that enemies are regularly dropping level III crystals, I should sell off all these level I cylinders I never processed? :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Am I correct that there's no real use for lower-level crystals, cylinders and gems once I have access to their higher-level counterparts? Like, say, I can't synthesize a gem from a level I and level II crystal together? And now that enemies are regularly dropping level III crystals, I should sell off all these level I cylinders I never processed? :v:

Yep.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
End-game boss question: How can I beat Zanza's final form? My guys are level 78 and the furthest I was ever able to hurt him was to about half health. I seem to do fine until he summons his guardians, at which point I get overwhelmed and scramble to keep everyone alive. Should I just go back and power level my characters a few more levels before taking him on?

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Couple things:

1-Either I'm using Melia wrong (which is very likely) or she's just an all around bad character because I'm dying a whole lot now that I started using her.

2-Oh my loving god Riki Riki is the most broken little poo poo in any RPG ever. I loving love this character. Fortress Unit Mechon? What, you mean that scrapheap over there simultaneously burning, dissolving, leaking oil, and frozen solid? :smug:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

C-Euro posted:

There are a few Level I and Level II gems I haven't found other editions of, such as AP/EXP up (level I) and some paralysis/break ones (level II/III). Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

Detective Eyestorm
Jan 6, 2012

Karthe posted:

End-game boss question: How can I beat Zanza's final form? My guys are level 78 and the furthest I was ever able to hurt him was to about half health. I seem to do fine until he summons his guardians, at which point I get overwhelmed and scramble to keep everyone alive. Should I just go back and power level my characters a few more levels before taking him on?

I beat the fight at level 79, so I imagine you're in pretty good shape. You might already be doing this, but I'd recommend that you pull out the big guns on the guardians one at a time. Get rid of each source of damage as quickly as possible, rather than whittling them all at once, so that healing gets progressively easier. Remember to tell your teammates to concentrate their attacks, since they might get distracted. Massive damage served me better than DPS for that fight, personally. If you have the resources, maybe you ought to give your dudes some Attack or Double Attack Gems.

It's a pretty tough fight (or maybe I'm bad at video games), but you're almost there!

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

AP Up:
Gem (rank 1): Either of two mutually exclusive earlyish quests.
Gem (rank 3): An early midgame quest.
Gem (rank 5): Collectopedia.
Gem (rank 5): An endgame quest.
Gem (rank 5): Another endgame quest.
Crystal (rank 5): Blizzard Belzagas UM (level 114).

Exp Up:
Gem (rank 1): The same mutually exclusive quests as for AP Up rank 1.
Gem (rank 3): Colony 6 level 2 complete.
Gem (rank 4): Colony 6 level 4 nature.
Gem (rank 5): Chest in final dungeon.
Gem (rank 5): Collectopedia.
Gem (rank 6): An endgame quest.
Crystal (rank 5): The fire elementals in Makna's heat waves (level 96), their exact name escapes me.

Paralyze:
Gem (rank 2): Trading in FV (3 stars).
Gem (rank 2): Collectopedia.
Gem (rank 3): Trading in FV (4 stars).
Gem (rank 4): An early midgame quest.
Gem (rank 4): A later midgame quest.
Crystal (rank 5): Plump Sprahda UM (level 92).
Crystal (rank 5): Field Altrich UM (level 76).
Crystal (rank 5): Jada (90)/Jadals (92) Arachno in Tephra.
Crystal (rank 5): Goldi (86)/Zeldi (87) Kromar in Eryth.

Break: it's 2:18 am and I'm sick of deciphering Google Translate for details. It's basically got the same general availability as Paralyze, though. (A few weak gems from one-time sources, other weak gems from trading, and the only crystals for crafting purposes are rank 5 crystals from high level enemies.)

But yeah, the general point holds: sometimes you only get things in limited availability in gem form until very late in the game, when crystals (which at least have the decency to be rank 5) finally become available.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I just beat some kind of cockney metal man with a face. Whhat was the thing he yelled about eleven thousand loving times at me while waiting for a chain to charge up? "The buzzing of flies about me"?

Is there an option to turn off fighting banter because it's really grating.

e: Wow. That was... downright decent of that boss. I've never known a explodes-when-he-dies enemy to ever kick himself down a mineshaft to not drag you into hell with him, creating a ticking clock scenario or making you run down a hallway while it explodes.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jun 5, 2012

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

^^^^
For an existential threat, and an arrogant bastard, he really sobers up at the end. The banter you hate will become very useful once you have more allies using more abilities, keeping you informed of what's going on and what attacks of your own might need to be queued up.

Thanks for this stuff, I've been wondering how to get better versions.

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jun 5, 2012

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
The banter is one of the things I really like about this game. Especially when you get the really weird post fight banter between characters. Sometimes it fits with what you just fought. Sometimes it's pretty dumb. Other times, though, it's a combination of :wtc: and absolute hilarity.

Shulk: "Alright let's keep moving."
Sharla: "I could really use a shower right now."
Reyn: "Good thing I'm here then. No? Anybody?"

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

wefeelgroove posted:

I find myself equipping not the best armor but the least silly-looking. I really don't need my roommates walking in while my party is a couple of shirtless dudes and a chick in a bikini plastered up on the big screen TV. Having your clothes change with different armor is a nifty idea but oh god, so much fanservice, and in both directions! Oddly enough, my Riki is currently naked save for his goofy knit hat, but he doesn't count because he's an adorable ball of fluff. :3

Two dudes in full armor + Sharla in a bikini is kind of embarassing.

Swimtrunks Dodgetank Dunban + Jungle Princess Sharla + just Riki is solid gold.

But see, what you really want someone to walk in on is when you have Shulk shirtless in the cutscene in Makna where Alvis shows up.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 5, 2012

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I had accidentally unequipped Reyn's shirt (gave the armor to Dunban for a boss battle, I think) in a certain late-game cutscene where he interacts with Sharla. Turned it straight from "sweet cutscene where friends comfort each other" to "harlequin romance" with Reyn showing off them abs.

I submit that the change was for the better.

TenaCrane
Sep 14, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Krinkle posted:

I just beat some kind of cockney metal man with a face. Whhat was the thing he yelled about eleven thousand loving times at me while waiting for a chain to charge up? "The buzzing of flies about me"?

"YOU'RE NOTHING BUT FLIES TO ME!"

Thankfully, he has the most annoying battle banter in the game, there isn't anyone else who's as much of a loudmouth. I rather enjoyed the way that fight was set up, in hindsight. It's an absolute clusterfuck where the player probably doesn't have any idea about this strange talking mechon and his constant screaming that confuses you even more.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I had accidentally unequipped Reyn's shirt (gave the armor to Dunban for a boss battle, I think) in a certain late-game cutscene where he interacts with Sharla. Turned it straight from "sweet cutscene where friends comfort each other" to "harlequin romance" with Reyn showing off them abs.

I submit that the change was for the better.

Great idea: Unequip everyone's shirts right before you hit a checkpoint. Xenoblade becomes a whole new game then.

TenaCrane posted:

"YOU'RE NOTHING BUT FLIES TO ME!"

Thankfully, he has the most annoying battle banter in the game, there isn't anyone else who's as much of a loudmouth. I rather enjoyed the way that fight was set up, in hindsight. It's an absolute clusterfuck where the player probably doesn't have any idea about this strange talking mechon and his constant screaming that confuses you even more.

The "banter" during faced Mechon battles is actually pretty great. You can't make out a drat thing they're actually saying, particularly Metal Face, so you just have this manic incoherent screaming on top of all the violence and mayhem. It's how boss battles truly ought to be!

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

What do you mean the player has no idea what's going on? They give you a tooltip that says "you can't do poo poo until you get a chain gauge full have fun wasting time" and before that when fighting metal face you got one that said "topple every mechon with a face" and here you are fighting a mechon with a face so you've been told twice what to do.

e: dunban has spiritual awakening, and he's wearing his starting gear, and I skill linked him to a lower gear weight by way of Shulk. Is he "naked" enough for spiritual awakening to work? The skill says it lowers gear by 5 and he's wearing 5 things that have weight of 1.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 5, 2012

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
Naked means he can't have anything equipped but a weapon. It sounds a lot worse than it really is.

VVVVV - e: Oh for sure, it's very good. I was worried about losing all that defense, but it's meaningless when he never gets hit.

Surprise Noodle fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 5, 2012

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Surprise Noodle posted:

Naked means he can't have anything equipped but a weapon. It sounds a lot worse than it really is.

It's pretty good if you also link the +20% with no gems skills.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Mazed posted:

The "banter" during faced Mechon battles is actually pretty great. You can't make out a drat thing they're actually saying, particularly Metal Face, so you just have this manic incoherent screaming on top of all the violence and mayhem. It's how boss battles truly ought to be!

That's how I see it. Here's this big British robot yelling incoherently at you, and it is going to kick the poo poo out of you if you aren't actually ready. Makes it more imposing.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

what about zero weight things like gel or oil. Can I oil down my naked dunbar and still get the bonus effects?

Ughhhh I'm fighting some lizard jerk in a castle. How do you stop someone from doing a move that will cause your deaths but not right away? If someone is low enough I can know to shield it but if I'm doing well I get punished by a everybody is incapacitated area of effect move out of nowhere.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jun 6, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Chronojam posted:

That's how I see it. Here's this big British robot yelling incoherently at you, and it is going to kick the poo poo out of you if you aren't actually ready. Makes it more imposing.

Yes! The lead-up to the battle and the battle itself were done amazingly well.

Just finished the late-game plotdump. Everyone's outfits are so ridiculous--it made the cutscenes kind of silly. Shulk looks halfway normal, but Riki looks like a tiny stuffed tiger, Dunban's bare-chested and sporting the world's stupidest-looking helmet, Reyn hasn't had a shirt on in ages, Sharla apparently stops dressing herself after she gets her bra on, and Melia looks like a Final Fantasy cosplayer. As if that wasn't bad enough, Seven's getup would make Sharla blush.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I hate how the seventh character's best gear is some of the worst looking. Their default gear looked fine, but it's a jrpg can't be missing any of that can we. The end of battle banter is the best when all 3 characters interact with unique(?) lines.

Sharla: It's a lot quieter without Reyn or Riki around.
Dunban: Yes, let's continue with this team.
Melia: Hero of colony 9 on a mean streak, huh.

All that I feel is missing from the game are "display item" slots like in an MMO where wear the gear you want stats from, and then a layer "on top" of it so it looks just how you want.

e:When Dunban is at Alcamoth, and the assassins break into the party's room; "We ordered room service an hour ago!"

Poniard fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 6, 2012

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Dunban and (mostly) Melia are the only characters generally capable of dressing themselves properly. Shulk, now, Shulk doesn't look bad at a glance, but the more you actually stare at his default outfit, the more you wonder what's actually going on there.

That said, the look of Shulk's "jungle"-theme pants is actually pretty stylin'.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
What are some good ways to spec Riki? I know that his best abilities are his DoT powers like Lurgy and Burninate, but I don't have enough Blaze/Poison/Bleed/etc. Plus gems to make that a really viable strategy right now. And being in Sword Valley I have to use his Anti-Mechon weapon, which only has one gem slot for those types of gems :negative:. His melee damage output isn't that great either, but I've got Strength Up gems to spare. Should I farm for crystals that promote those DoT effects? Give him a weapon with more gem slots, even though it won't hurt Mechon? Go back to some recent areas and sidequest, hoping for those kinds of gems as rewards?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Is it bad that I the first thing I noticed about Sharla's jungle outfit is that her hairdo is pretty great?

• Locked thread