Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Minijaka posted:

But it's not like they have to develop it from scratch though. If they took FM4 and just replaced all the tracks with open world, I'd be ok with it.

You do realize the job is a little more complicated than taking the existing driving simulation and making a Colorado sized "track", right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Puddin posted:

The one thing that I hope they don't do with Horizon is impose artificial limitations if you go off track.

Like that switchback section in the video/link to the interview posted earlier, if I go to hot into a corner and end up looking like I'm going to fly off a cliff, I don't want to hit an invisible wall and bounce back onto the road.

I wouldn't mind if there was a way to turn it off. I wish there was a way to turn off sticky grass in Forza 4. If I'm racing with friends, who cares if they go off the track and cheat. If someone sees it, they'll get bitched at. I'm tired of losing position because I went a bit too wide and hit quicksand and now my car is stuck at 10 mph. That's the biggest immersion ruiner.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

Cojawfee posted:

I wouldn't mind if there was a way to turn it off. I wish there was a way to turn off sticky grass in Forza 4. If I'm racing with friends, who cares if they go off the track and cheat. If someone sees it, they'll get bitched at. I'm tired of losing position because I went a bit too wide and hit quicksand and now my car is stuck at 10 mph. That's the biggest immersion ruiner.

Yeah I really do hope sticky grass becomes a custom race option in the future. I see why you would want it for hopper lobbies and event list but if I'm just loving around with goons there's no reason taking the turn on to the oval at Indy a little too close should cause me to grind to a stop.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think we are reading to much into what was meant by the default settings for the physics. Forza 4 is a little arcade lite with all of the assists turned on too. Regardless i'm going to pre-order this. I just want to know now if FM4's livery editor is in this too, and if get most or all of the FM4 community features.

[edit]
I didn't see the gameplay demo get posted; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku6qK1jaWAg it looks really solid. Dan Greenawalt is at the helm, so you know he is going to crash into things a lot.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 4, 2012

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Cojawfee posted:

Exactly though I think being an open world racer sticky grass won't be included with the whole alternate routes thing.

I'd expect it would be a bit more slippery handling compared to the road.

With all the elevation changes that the open locations bring, controlling the higher powered cars such as the koenessegggggg is going to be pretty brutal.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

I said come in! posted:

[edit]
I didn't see the gameplay demo get posted; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku6qK1jaWAg it looks really solid. Dan Greenawalt is at the helm, so you know he is going to crash into things a lot.

I see ABS/TCS/STM firing on in the cluster so it looks like a lot of F4's basic driving mechanics are intact so that's good. Just hoping there's some semblance of customizing how to drive the cars (like turning that poo poo off).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I see ABS/TCS/STM firing on in the cluster so it looks like a lot of F4's basic driving mechanics are intact so that's good. Just hoping there's some semblance of customizing how to drive the cars (like turning that poo poo off).

I imagine they'll let you turn it off, that will really alienate a lot of Forza Motorsport fans otherwise. Scrolling through the different leaderboards in FM4, I think a lot of people play with no assists in FM4, and I hope that is something that is kept in mind.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

I said come in! posted:

I think we are reading to much into what was meant by the default settings for the physics. Forza 4 is a little arcade lite with all of the assists turned on too. Regardless i'm going to pre-order this. I just want to know now if FM4's livery editor is in this too, and if get most or all of the FM4 community features.

[edit]
Music festival! Music festival! Music festival!

Needs more dubstep like in the trailer a'ight

:ughh:

e: Driving physics look eh, and the framerate worse.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Falken posted:

I didn't notice any framerate issues, I need to watch it again though, and the music festival thing is dumb. Hopefully that won't take over to much of the game.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Falken posted:

On the bright side, I notice he has all the assists turned on there.
I think you'll be able to turn them off otherwise I see no point of indicating when they are engaged. :pray:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My biggest fear is they left out the livery editor from FM4. :( that's an absolute must have. But i'm not quite getting the impression that was left out, but I want more confirmation it's actually there.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm not going to nitpick it too much since it isn't even done yet but I'm not gonna lie; I wanna hoon.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Falken posted:

That interview that was linked further up the page mentioned that the framerate was dropped to 30.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
It would be nice to be able to link your fm4 garage to horizon but I bet thats not going to be the case. I just hope there isnt another limited edition and another dlc season pack.

Also I hope the music festival is a dubstep festival so every boring goon can complain about it forever.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Idiot race posted:

Also I hope the music festival is a dubstep festival so every boring goon can complain about it forever.

I need this to happen. :allears:

Also, Skrillex co-driver. :3:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Deeters posted:

That interview that was linked further up the page mentioned that the framerate was dropped to 30.

That might be difficult to get use to after spending so much time in FM4 with its smooth 60fps.

Idiot race posted:

It would be nice to be able to link your fm4 garage to horizon but I bet thats not going to be the case. I just hope there isnt another limited edition and another dlc season pack.

Sorry, but everything about dubstep is really awful. I'll just mute the music. Not even going to give it a chance.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I need this to happen. :allears:

id wub wub wub it

Also it would be nice if they re modeled some of the cars, mainly the ones that were assets from FM1/2. Stuff like the gallardo, nsx, r32 gt-r etc look realy terrible compared to some of the cars modeled for fm3/4.

I'll probably get this anyway because it looks like it would be allot of fun to play multi though.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Yeah it should be ultimately more fun than the last 10 NFS iterations. Can't wait to see the carnage a full goon lobby would have when were going 8 wide.into a turn.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I am excited for Horizons because it seems to combine the things I love about Forza (Huge amounts of cars, amazing driving/physics model) and what I love about TDU (offroading, open-world) and combining them into one should-be-great game. Basically I am saying that going mudding in an Ultimate Aero or if we are lucky an LMP1 will be hilarious and awesome.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Soiled Meat
I'm not surprised they've had to cut down the fps, car count and driving physics for this since I think that was always a given for on open world racer like this. Still looking at the video I think the driving physics will be good enough. As long as they are a cut above the old PGR game, which I enjoyed a lot, I will be happy. My biggest concern is what the multiplayer looks like. I wanna do wacky poo poo with goons in that game above all.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Idiot race posted:

id wub wub wub it

Also it would be nice if they re modeled some of the cars, mainly the ones that were assets from FM1/2. Stuff like the gallardo, nsx, r32 gt-r etc look realy terrible compared to some of the cars modeled for fm3/4.

I'll probably get this anyway because it looks like it would be allot of fun to play multi though.

I highly doubt there are any FM1 assets in the game.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Some reading would alleviate your fears, and confirm the non-tuning:

forzamotorsport.net posted:

The Horizon Festival is also the hub around which Forza Horizon revolves. Go here to buy or sell cars to and from your personal collection; design and paint the cars you own using Forza’s incredibly flexible livery editor; upgrade your cars to take them to the next level of performance; upload your automotive masterpieces and browse your friends’ in-game creations.

eurogamer.net posted:

But the Forza family resemblance is plain to see in plenty of other ways, such as the use of the same car classes and performance index (no E- or F-class slowpokes, mind); the optional green line that shows ideal cornering approaches and speeds; the rewind button for unspooling crashes; a full range of customisable driver assists; a detailed in-car camera; and support for Microsoft's wireless Speed Wheel and Fanatec's superb CSR force-feedback steering wheel. You won't, however, be able to tune your cars - though you can modify their appearance - and damage is only cosmetic, too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Poor MS wheel, doesn't even get a nod anymore. :smith:

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Only if the game has cliffs to drive off of.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They say you can't tune your car, does that mean no setting camber or spring rate or does that mean you can't add a turbo or an intake? I'd be interested to see what use the PI system has if you can't change it. While a lot of manufacturers already do try to keep their cars near what the competitor offers while trying to be slightly better, what would be the point of racing cars if everyone is always going to pick whatever has the best stock PI. I guess it would be easier on the simulation if people brought the same car if it could model them the same without having to deal with one having lots of handling upgrades and one having lots of power upgrades.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

speedtek posted:

Only if the game has cliffs to drive off of.

Point made in less than 10 posts. :v:

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Soiled Meat
3 cheers (that's 1 for each of you) to Captain Howdy, speedtek and gutbomb for helping me with my Porsche conundrum.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm really excited for the DLC tomorrow.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.

General Probe posted:

3 cheers (that's 1 for each of you) to Captain Howdy, speedtek and gutbomb for helping me with my Porsche conundrum.

I like to help people do things :shobon:

zarron
Sep 1, 2005
Is Forza Horizon supposed to be more like Project Gotham? Looking at the gameplay, I'm getting that feeling. If so then cool.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

zarron posted:

Is Forza Horizon supposed to be more like Project Gotham? Looking at the gameplay, I'm getting that feeling. If so then cool.

Dan Greenawalt did make that comparison, yes.

silverbullitt850
Mar 6, 2012

Hey you guys like to troll? I've got some pretty sick trolling skills. Just don't expect me to read anything.

-Colon Cowboy
So happy it's back to 30fps. Sorry, but the Forza replays look 10000000x better than the game. 60fps is a waste.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

silverbullitt850 posted:

So happy it's back to 30fps. Sorry, but the Forza replays look 10000000x better than the game. 60fps is a waste.

I'm not sure that's a good reason to dismiss 60fps. Gameplay at 60fps looks tons better. If you know what to look for, the differences are night and day. 30fps sucks, but its manageable. I would rather have 60fps though.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

So far, I'm disappointed in this Forza Horizon business. It seems like TDU meets FlatOut 2, but set in a fake version of Colorado with terrible music. The game and the goals seem centered around this music festival, and I couldn't care less about it. I also don't care about exploring a Turn 10/Playground interpretation of Colorado. Not that Colorado isn't beautiful, but I have a feeling that things are going to look samey after a short amount of time, if the screens and videos are any indication. The cars don't appeal to me, because while you can upgrade them, you can't tune them, and having nothing below D-class pretty much ensures that you can't have anything weird and unique to show off like you can in Forza 4. Plus there's only superficial damage, and it doesn't look like the damage model's improved from what I've seen.

Nothing I've read or seen so far grabs me at all. I might rent it to see what it's like, but there's nothing about it that stands out yet. It just seems like a game I've played before.

ComfyPants fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jun 5, 2012

Mac Tonight
Mar 12, 2006

aw yeah tahts it man
Is there a Horizon thread yet? There should be. gently caress that game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

24 minute Forza Horizon presentation; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGx3Uif3maA

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

silverbullitt850 posted:

30fps is a slow, muddy mess. Also, the replay mode looks awful with the terrible motion blur.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Meguiars-Car-Pack/061ccef8-df1d-4b41-8d77-1d016741e139?noSplash=1

pack is up. downloading away. that 40 ford is mine!

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

I somehow completely missed any and all announcements about this pack, this is literally the first time I'm hearing about this. And what does it contain? Oh, you know, just the old Beetle, and the Yellowbird, and the most beautiful BMW of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

GhostDog posted:

I somehow completely missed any and all announcements about this pack, this is literally the first time I'm hearing about this. And what does it contain? Oh, you know, just the old Beetle, and the Yellowbird, and the most beautiful BMW of all time.

not to mention the first pre-50s car in forza, and holy hell did they ever pick the right one.

edit:
Not the easiest car to take there, but the maserati ghibli will do over 267mph

Powershift fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jun 5, 2012

• Locked thread