Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

A Gibson-y open world game? Where have you been all my life! :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

GUI posted:

I saw the gameplay footage and the graphics and animations were beautiful, but like every recent AAA game it seems like it's going to consist of tons of cutscenes and Press Button to Kill Dude.

Hopefully I'll be proven wrong and it'll be a sleek action/adventure open world game instead of another interactive movie.

Even if it does, good god the presentation of it all is just outstandingly good.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Capn Beeb posted:

I want to dick with the traffic lights.

All of the traffic lights. :unsmigghh:

I'm probably going to spend most of my time in game doing this and just setting up huge accidents.

18 wheeler come on come on come on GREEN LIGHT

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

God, I'm already sad that there's no way the full game is gonna live up to this trailer, I've been burned too many times before. But that doesn't take away one bit from the fact that this is one hell of a trailer.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I really liked this trailer because it made me imagine it's something of a cross between GTA4 style system-driven open world gameplay and more scripted, special-case Hitman-style gameplay. I want to see more about the game, but yeah, I really want to see more.

ignorant slut
Apr 27, 2008
so any leads on the ARG from the dot connexion site?

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Crappy Jack posted:

God, I'm already sad that there's no way the full game is gonna live up to this trailer, I've been burned too many times before. But that doesn't take away one bit from the fact that this is one hell of a trailer.

Yeah, it's hard to be optimistic but this just seems so drat cool

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

rope kid posted:

I really liked this trailer because it made me imagine it's something of a cross between GTA4 style system-driven open world gameplay and more scripted, special-case Hitman-style gameplay. I want to see more about the game, but yeah, I really want to see more.

It also frightened me a bit. I hope that in this digital age you can hack the weapons of police to make them unable to be fired.

Hack weapons > disable
Start riot with connection blackout
Watch!

But, hacking trains should be great for quick getaways.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
This might sound weird, but this is the one game where I am may not run everywhere, and I will walk around because it seems more in character.

Getting a really big Deus Ex vibe from this. I can only hope that the writing is strong. I pray for Rockstar quality writing, but I'll take anything that doesn't make me cringe.

I think I might be alone in that I don't mind scripted things, as long as they do enough in the game to make me feel like I am part of the world.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
drat. I only just watched the gameplay trailer and I am super hyped for this. I hope there's multiple ways to carry out objectives (like stealthily getting that one guy instead causing anarchy in the streets). And the little touch like covering his face when he pulls out the gun is fantastic.

yugge
Aug 27, 2008

ignorant slut posted:

so any leads on the ARG from the dot connexion site?

Well there is a "Request notification" on https://dotconnexion.ubi.com/tickets.html . I sent a mail requesting notification upon tickets availability. Didn't notice anything else jumping out.
There is a forum page at unforums for watch_dogs where they are trying out different angles here http://forums.unfiction.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34913.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Just walking around in the rain for that little bit looked amazing, I could probably just do that for hours, especially since I grew up just outside of Chicago and spent the beginning of that trailer going "I KNOW WHERE THAT IS I'VE BEEN THERE". Ubisoft does tend to make really nice sandboxes (like Assassin's Creed), but their games also tend to feel a little overly scripted and not organic enough. That being said, though, the mood of this is fantastic, and I really hope it delivers.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
You guys don't know how hard I hope for this stuff to be dynamic and non-scripted or pre-rendered, and I hope the game has live GTA-style traffic.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT
Too bad it looks like the entire demo was entirely pre-planned and scripted. The whole car crash at the light seemed very "on rails."

If they start showing actual gameplay, that would be interesting. As of now it could end up being another over-hyped bullshit title (remember the Killzone 3 "gameplay" video?) or an excellent game where everything shown in the trailer is actually how the game plays out.

We'll see.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
That actions wheel seems to give some level of limitation as to what you can do and I hope that means there's multiple ways to tackle objectives. It's not like it's an impossible framework to build in a sandbox game; the GTA games have had plenty of missions with multiple solutions.

Regardless, if you can also go into a free roam mode and devise new and exciting combinations of power grid fuckery to wreck the city, this is a day 1 buy for me.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Thank you for making this thread for the E3 2012 Game of the Show

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

I liked the weather report at the beginning saying showers were to come later on in the day.

I don't like that it seems when he turned the lights a bazillion cars appeared out of nowhere for the accident. It seems waay too scripted.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

hcreight posted:

That actions wheel seems to give some level of limitation as to what you can do and I hope that means there's multiple ways to tackle objectives. It's not like it's an impossible framework to build in a sandbox game; the GTA games have had plenty of missions with multiple solutions.

Regardless, if you can also go into a free roam mode and devise new and exciting combinations of power grid fuckery to wreck the city, this is a day 1 buy for me.

Yeah, nothing we've seen is too crazy that it couldn't work within the confines of basic AI stuff; the traffic light thing just messes with car AI, that sort of thing. Still, I really wish I'd get to see what happens if you do things another way and how the game reacts to that. What if you don't immediately go out the back door when the guards start coming in? What if you wait for the car to arrive instead of loving with traffic? That sort of thing.

Elder Crain
Mar 18, 2012
If this game even gives me half of the sandboxy fun that I get from loving around in GAT4 then it's golden.

"Hmm, lets get on the train and derail it into a hospital that's been evacuated due to a power outage and top it off off with a nice traffic accident right out front. Also lol all your ATMs are mine."

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
The fact they had a dedicated cutscene to pulling that dude out of the car and executing him really doesn't point to an open-ended 'deus-ex-like' game but it's still early to judge. Even if it is on rails it's presented really really well.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
This thread is relevant to my interests.

Hoping that the gunplay and whatnot takes a back seat to hacking goodness. Especially happy that this has decided to seem near present day in setting. Keen for some more information like platforms and a possible release window.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Why do any of you think this is even going to be remotely open world? The entire gameplay section was incredibly scripted. Doesn't mean it won't be fun, but there is no evidence to indicate this is going to be some type of free-roam game where you can cause traffic/train accidents whenever you want. I wish it was though...

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Necc0 posted:

The fact they had a dedicated cutscene to pulling that dude out of the car and executing him really doesn't bode well for an open-ended 'deus-ex-like' game but it's still early to judge. Even if it is on rails it's presented really really well.

I noticed that too. Hopefully it's just something like if the car arrives unscathed, the guy stays in the car and sends his guards in after you, but that was one of those things that worried me because it's just too slick to be organically done. Unless there are tons of opportunities to violently pull people out of their cars through the windows and it somehow segued smoothly into the execution cutscene.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Admittedly I tend to get lost, then bored with open world sandboxy games real fast, so even if it IS a scriptapalooza instead of a GTA, I'm still okay with that. :unsmith:

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Crappy Jack posted:

I noticed that too. Hopefully it's just something like if the car arrives unscathed, the guy stays in the car and sends his guards in after you, but that was one of those things that worried me because it's just too slick to be organically done. Unless there are tons of opportunities to violently pull people out of their cars through the windows and it somehow segued smoothly into the execution cutscene.

If I had to make a guess I'd say that entire gameplay trailer was pre-rendered in the vein of the original Killzone 2 trailer. So it's pre-rendered to specifically look like gameplay.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
This looks really cool, although it makes me wonder what Syndicate could have been if it took a non-FPS path.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Megasabin posted:

Why do any of you think this is even going to be remotely open world? The entire gameplay section was incredibly scripted. Doesn't mean it won't be fun, but there is no evidence to indicate this is going to be some type of free-roam game where you can cause traffic/train accidents whenever you want. I wish it was though...

The GTA style minimap showing a bunch of city blocks, unused but present interiors in the buildings he walked by, and the driving section indicated that yeah, this is probably going to be open world.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Giggily posted:

The GTA style minimap showing a bunch of city blocks, unused but present interiors in the buildings he walked by, and the driving section indicated that yeah, this is probably going to be open world.

Well then. If it lets me cause traffic accidents whenever I want this will be the best game ever.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
3 minutes in and the Gibson detector in my brain was going off full blast. Others have said it but I'll reiterate it: even if it's just Zero History: The Linear Third Person Shooter, I'll eat this poo poo up. And given the "control train" option and the "get into car and drive wherever" getaway, this is looking less like a scripted shooter and more like an at least partially open world game.

So...

Take my money etc.

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007
Thank you Ubisoft, for developing the kind of game I want to play.

Elder Crain
Mar 18, 2012

Megasabin posted:

Well then. If it lets me cause traffic accidents whenever I want this will be the best game ever.

They also mentioned it would be open world.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Megasabin posted:

At the very least, I have absolutely no doubt this will be true. Open world games have been doing traffic for a long time, allowing you to gently caress with traffic AI scripting by messing with ingame traffic signals seems pretty doable.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Giggily posted:

Walkin'

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

abigserve posted:

If I had to make a guess I'd say that entire gameplay trailer was pre-rendered in the vein of the original Killzone 2 trailer. So it's pre-rendered to specifically look like gameplay.

It looks like it's actually in-engine; the rain effects are the only thing that look uncommonly good, but it is a PC demo they're showing off. It's obviously more like Prey where there will be an opening segment with a ridiculous amount of superfluous detail that the rest of the game doesn't have :colbert:

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Slappy Moose posted:

Too bad it looks like the entire demo was entirely pre-planned and scripted. The whole car crash at the light seemed very "on rails."

If they start showing actual gameplay, that would be interesting. As of now it could end up being another over-hyped bullshit title (remember the Killzone 3 "gameplay" video?) or an excellent game where everything shown in the trailer is actually how the game plays out.

We'll see.
The UK trailer and the one shown at E3 have different endings; it's not totally scripted.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Azure_Horizon posted:

The UK trailer and the one shown at E3 have different endings; it's not totally scripted.

Wouldn't happen to have a link to a video or a description of the differences? I'm compelled to compare and contrast.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Crappy Jack posted:

Wouldn't happen to have a link to a video or a description of the differences? I'm compelled to compare and contrast.
I believe they're both in the OP.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jun 5, 2012

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Crows Turn Off posted:

I believe they're both in the OP.

You're absolutely correct, sorry about that. I tried the top link earlier and it wasn't working, and then my stupid brain forgot about it.

EDIT: Or maybe not, I'm only seeing the one gameplay video and the pre-gameplay hype trailer.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

abigserve posted:

Ahahah you are not serious right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

TG-Chrono posted:

This thread is relevant to my interests.

Hoping that the gunplay and whatnot takes a back seat to hacking goodness. Especially happy that this has decided to seem near present day in setting. Keen for some more information like platforms and a possible release window.

Every game always makes the future crazy insane techno alien, even when it's supposed to be the "near future". I don't get why. Are they trying to tell us "oh look how fast things change with technology"? Dude, I can watch a movie from 60 years ago and it still feels coherent despite the gap. Culture and civilization doesn't change that fast.

Deus Ex did it loving perfect. It felt like... today. We didn't have time to rebuild loving everything in 50 years. There's a existing structures everywhere and only in richer neighborhoods did you notice "modern" architecture that seems very heavily influenced by the architecture of today... you know, the same design that most buildings in the game. Like if I were a Future Interior Decorator, I'd probably decorate in a way that doesn't blatently loving clash with a majority of existing design. So the futuristic segments really felt believable. This is apparently really hard to do.

I got the exact same vibe from this trailer. The transition into the gallery was absolutely chilling for me. Everything looked pretty modern, but you could look at the room and it still looked like a regular late 20th century room. It'd just been remodeled and well designed with all of the latest techno art poo poo of the age. It felt like it was a place that could reasonably exist in the near future.

• Locked thread