Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

keyframe posted:

Ahahah you are not serious right?

I could see it being completely pre-arranged in a game engine, but playing back and just resembling a game or proof of concept. Like it was all prescripted, every single thing, and designed to look like someone is playing it.

Not saying I believe that but I wouldn't be surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

The UK trailer and the one shown at E3 have different endings; it's not totally scripted.

What was different? I just watched the UK one and it seems to be the same thing.

procitizen
May 9, 2010

HYUK HYUK HYUK
The E3 one ended with some dude on a rooftop watching the events on the streets unfold, then panning out to reveal tons of people just like him all over the city.

Rapt0rCharles9231
Oct 20, 2008
The UK one goes on for a bit longer and shows off some of the driving, along with a raising the bridge via hacking type deal.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Count Uvula posted:

It looks like it's actually in-engine; the rain effects are the only thing that look uncommonly good, but it is a PC demo they're showing off. It's obviously more like Prey where there will be an opening segment with a ridiculous amount of superfluous detail that the rest of the game doesn't have :colbert:

This is possible as well. I guess it depeneds what kind of game it is, when I first saw that trailer I thought "open world" then immediately realized that it looks way too good for an open-world style game, however if it's mostly linear I could see it being legit.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Count Uvula posted:

It looks like it's actually in-engine; the rain effects are the only thing that look uncommonly good, but it is a PC demo they're showing off. It's obviously more like Prey where there will be an opening segment with a ridiculous amount of superfluous detail that the rest of the game doesn't have :colbert:

Don't say things like this lest they come true :smith:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

abigserve posted:

This is possible as well. I guess it depeneds what kind of game it is, when I first saw that trailer I thought "open world" then immediately realized that it looks way too good for an open-world style game, however if it's mostly linear I could see it being legit.

I figure a lot of the shinier graphics effects are due to it being run on the PC where they can have things like dedicated cards solely for video game physics; I imagine the console version would have simpler rain effects and shadows and probably a less dynamic coat. Take off a lot of those bells and whistles and I could see it being pretty close to what we're used to seeing in games, it's just that those bells and whistles add a lot.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
What I want to know is, in this game if I get back on the el within an hour do I get the transfer price? My immersion hinges upon this.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
Even if some things are scripted, AND only allow one way to progress, it looks like there has to be a lot of opportunities to use your abilities creatively outside of those moments.
Like, ok, that car crash happens every time, whatever. How about at the end of the video when he sends up the drawbridge and drives over it at the last moment, presumably with the intention of leaving the cops behind?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Crappy Jack posted:

I figure a lot of the shinier graphics effects are due to it being run on the PC where they can have things like dedicated cards solely for video game physics; I imagine the console version would have simpler rain effects and shadows and probably a less dynamic coat. Take off a lot of those bells and whistles and I could see it being pretty close to what we're used to seeing in games, it's just that those bells and whistles add a lot.

Yeah, a lot of the graphic niceness is probably just due to writing DX11 shaders, as opposed to DX9 for the 360.

Plus modern PC videocards have more dedicated memory than either console has in total, and welp.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

crazylakerfan posted:

Yeah, a lot of the graphic niceness is probably just due to writing DX11 shaders, as opposed to DX9 for the 360.

Plus modern PC videocards have more dedicated memory than either console has in total, and welp.

It's crazy what you can do with hardware that wasn't already outdated 7 years ago when it came out.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Nail Rat posted:

What I want to know is, in this game if I get back on the el within an hour do I get the transfer price? My immersion hinges upon this.
Your super hacker phone makes sure you get the transfer price ever time.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Totally gonna go to Wrigley and hack the scoreboard so the Cubs win.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I'd be perfectly happy with Hitman: Gibson Edition to be honest.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Crappy Jack posted:

It's crazy what you can do with hardware that wasn't already outdated 7 years ago when it came out.

Yeah the game looks nice but as someone who primarily plays games on a PC it is super weird to have people acting like this is some completely unprecedented level of graphical achievement that would take a ridiculously overbuilt dedicated machine to run smoothly, as opposed to most midrange gaming machines built in the last couple of years. It looks pretty much like what a modern AAA game taking advantage of more modern PC hardware should look like (though most don't, being ports or cross-platform titles).

I'm very excited about it though! #2 most anticipated game of E3 (behind XCom, which really nothing was going to beat for me).

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I actually thought that thing about the 2003 blackout being caused by a disgruntled hacker employee was true and I somehow never heard about it. But it's fiction. I feel silly.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Nail Rat posted:

Within 2 hours, fake Chicago person.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Crappy Jack posted:

Totally gonna go to Wrigley and hack the scoreboard so the Cubs win.

Oh man, I hope that games at Wrigley are weekly events and don't just happen when missions say they're supposed to happen. Mostly because it means more potential chaos for when everyone leaves the game at the end.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Enderzero posted:

Within 2 hours, fake Chicago person.

I actually had it originally at two hours and edited it because I wasn't sure. But I ride the el a couple dozen times a week. I just generally don't get back on it that fast so I wasn't sure, as I mean you can "transfer" without going through the turnstiles anywhere you would do an actual transfer.

I didn't even know about the transfer price until one time I got off the red line at Roosevelt and walked up to Grand before getting back on it for fun and was surprised it only cost a quarter.

/derail

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Kevyn posted:

I actually thought that thing about the 2003 blackout being caused by a disgruntled hacker employee was true and I somehow never heard about it. But it's fiction. I feel silly.

It's hard to believe Overgrown Trees could cause so much damage

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Honestly, while it's cool to see a game that features a realistically modeled Chicago because it's a city I'm familiar with, I'm more glad that we're actually getting a game that's not in loving Manhattan again.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Kevyn posted:

Yes. It's fiction. There was no hacker.

Move along.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The game's premise reminds me of the villain's scheme in Live Free or Die Hard.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's a great concept but I hope this isn't a mockup like the Rainbow 6 Patriots "demo" from last year. Patriots is definitely a game but who knows if we'll get the same thing as what was viewed. Ghost Recon Future Soldier looks very different from the almost sci-fi armored mech-soldier display we were shown in 2010 where people had shoulder rockets.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
There's more to this stuff than a few fancy shaders. The CPU's plainly running overtime on some things.
For one, there's some pretty advanced wind simulations happening here, turbulence and all. Notice what happens to the clothy things when the helicopter shows up, as well as the trees and the direction of the rain. It's hard to catch with these low quality feeds (even the 720p youtube link), but also look at what happens to the rain when the explosion goes off. It seems like there are other things happening too that's usually difficult to pull off in an open world game, or in any game at all. None of these are explicit, but the subtleties certainly lend to realistic looking results.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Reading some of the comments on other gaming blogs, you get the feeling that this is the second coming of video games - the one people have been waiting for all their lives. But when I watched it, I was decidedly underwhelmed. Cover-based shooting with recharging health, the Assassin's Creed engine we've been playing for years, a couple of gimmicks and a whole bunch of on-rails mission events... it just seems like lots of stuff that I've seen before elsewhere. The Deus-Ex+GTA+Assassin's Creed analogue from earlier rings true and it's exactly what I was thinking as I watched the gameplay. It looks pretty enough and the wind and rain effects are nice in particular, but I didn't see anything particularly new, original or surprising in that gameplay video and got a distinct "Go to this place, distract guards, assassinate boss guy" vibe that makes it feel more like Assassin's Creed: Future than anything interesting.

It's early days yet, of course, and who knows what direction it'll take. But right now, it seems like the same stuff we've seen before in a slightly shinier package. Colour me unconvinced.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

blackguy32 posted:

The game's premise reminds me of the villain's scheme in Live Free or Die Hard.

It's roughly as realistic as well.

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...

procitizen posted:

The E3 one ended with some dude on a rooftop watching the events on the streets unfold, then panning out to reveal tons of people just like him all over the city.

While normally I roll my eyes at developers jacking the "In Gimmick" every year like when every game suddenly had an XP Bar next year after COD4 had it. Everyone jacking the gently caress out of Demons Souls/Dark Souls style multiplayer is perfectly fine with me.

Very interested to see where this goes next.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Sex Vicar posted:

While normally I roll my eyes at developers jacking the "In Gimmick" every year like when every game suddenly had an XP Bar next year after COD4 had it. Everyone jacking the gently caress out of Demons Souls/Dark Souls style multiplayer is perfectly fine with me.

Very interested to see where this goes next.

You know I hadn't thought of it that way. What if the coop people aren't always on your side? A Soul's style invasion could be absolutely amazing in an open world setting like this.

Could be in the middle of heading to a mission when all of a sudden a train car comes barreling at you and then boom it's full on hacker fight.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Looks really beautiful and utterly devoid of gameplay. You walk around, push a button to do context-sensitive phone thingies and push another button to perform a pre-canned melee maneuver. Also featuring cover shooting and probably 300 hidden cellphones you have to pick up for an achievement. At least the trailer is really pretty.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Plavski posted:

Reading some of the comments on other gaming blogs, you get the feeling that this is the second coming of video games - the one people have been waiting for all their lives. But when I watched it, I was decidedly underwhelmed. Cover-based shooting with recharging health, the Assassin's Creed engine we've been playing for years, a couple of gimmicks and a whole bunch of on-rails mission events...

Yeah, my friend was wigging out about this game on the phone as I was driving back from work, telling me about how it was going to similar to Deus Ex and Human Revolution, but look at it... it looks like a scripted mess, the facial animation was uncanny valley. The voice acting and writing was just typical gaming pulp, and can we please get rid of Steven Blum, even if he is just doing the introductory narration.

I'm waiting until there's more concrete information to see what kind of audience this gaming is targeting, but as of now with the way the gameplay footage presented itself, it seems to go towards more the Assassin's Creed crowd (as many people have said) than it does the Deus Ex one.

We have Dishonored for the latter though, and that looks fan-loving-tastic.
Maybe another fun 30 dollar purchase to finish in a week and then forget about like every AC and CoD game perhaps? Nothing wrong with that. Just that I'm already sticking my head in the sand to get away from the terrible hyperbolic hype from the press.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
What's that wierd blip on the story trailer at the end? Also, did anyone manage to get a good shot of the QR code on the drinks guy?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I think the link to it is in the OP? Don't know if that was from the teaser trail or the gameplay one.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Hob_Gadling posted:

probably 300 hidden cellphones you have to pick up for an achievement.
You're horribly cynical about gaming as whole there, but that made me laugh and is probably sadly true.

My only major complaint with the game is that the dialogue and voice acting with the guy in the club, as well as the gesturing in the conversation - was terrible.

Hacking is interesting, looks nice and atmospheric, easily the best thing out of E3 outside of Last of Us footage. But I'm not expecting too much. For one thing, it's Ubisoft. Their whole thing is that they come up with great ideas, systems and core gameplay. Then ruin them and miss all of the potential, with bad design.

Ash.W
Aug 2, 2004

bonk bonk
Could the final exchange between you & DeMarco be only partly-scripted? I don't know a lot about how things work, but perhaps the poses and dialogue remain the same regardless of location, and there are a few canned actions which result in him ending up on the floor (pull out of car, throw, hit with baton, etc).

There's only replay value if you can do things several ways. COD is a blast for a playthrough, but who touches SP twice?

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Ash.W posted:

Could the final exchange between you & DeMarco be only partly-scripted? I don't know a lot about how things work, but perhaps the poses and dialogue remain the same regardless of location, and there are a few canned actions which result in him ending up on the floor (pull out of car, throw, hit with baton, etc).

There's only replay value if you can do things several ways. COD is a blast for a playthrough, but who touches SP twice?

I doubt that everything is super scripted an linear like that I mean I don't really think a company would promote a game now a days by calling it an open world game if they didn't mean GTA style open world.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Looks amazing, but it's Ubisoft so I'm going to wait until everything has been focus tested and watered down into a fine tasteless mush.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 5, 2012

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

LGD posted:

Yeah the game looks nice but as someone who primarily plays games on a PC it is super weird to have people acting like this is some completely unprecedented level of graphical achievement that would take a ridiculously overbuilt dedicated machine to run smoothly, as opposed to most midrange gaming machines built in the last couple of years. It looks pretty much like what a modern AAA game taking advantage of more modern PC hardware should look like (though most don't, being ports or cross-platform titles).

Yeah, the problem is that people are assuming that the next gen consoles are somehow magically going to be better than the best gaming PCs that can be built today. While consoles have been stagnating, PCs have just about reached the limits of what we can do with the current technology.

And it would be a launch window game, so they're usually the low end of what the consoles might end up capable of.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Yeah it was very weird to recognize the skyline, I'm so used to games taking place in New York that I kept going "Wait, what? Can't be..."

Also I am SO EXCITED to control trains. Now we can finally recreate The Fugitive in an open world environment! Truly what gaming has been reaching towards lo these many years!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

Fearian posted:

It was played at e3 with this controller:

Looks like a Wii-U controller? Thumbsticks above the D-pad and face buttons, narrow shoulder bumpers and looks like the mini-USB port in the top. Probably doesn't mean anything though.

A shrubbery! fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 5, 2012

• Locked thread