Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Shima Honnou posted:

What do Gravelords even get if their minions kill the target? Or do the red phantom NPCs remain around until the target gets to invade or leaves? I only ever joined the Gravelords for the sword and the spell.

If your minion kills the random dude you infected, you get half of his souls he was currently holding. Note that since one eye of death infects three worlds at the same time, a pretty well placed eye of death(Tomb of Giants :unsmigghh:) could net you lots and lots of souls. Also, even if they recover their bloodstain the amount of souls they lose is gone forever.

Example: They die while holding 200 souls. You get 100 of those souls. When(if) they recover their souls, they only get 100 of the initial 200.

If one of the three guys you infect kills the invading monsters, the other two worlds are automatically cleansed. That opens up the opportunity for them to invade you by finding the infection sign. If you kill the person(s) seeking retribution, they get sent back to their world and you net a nifty new Eye of Death.

And that's the Gravelord Covenant summed up. It's just unfortunate that the covenant is so buggy since it sounds really fun to be apart of.

Edit: Tomb of Giants is a much better place than catacombs for eyes of death.

Bumper Stickup fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jun 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Shima Honnou posted:

What do Gravelords even get if their minions kill the target? Or do the red phantom NPCs remain around until the target gets to invade or leaves? I only ever joined the Gravelords for the sword and the spell.

Apparently they get half of the dead player's souls if the player dies to a curse phantom. Or at least that's what one of the wikis says: http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Gravelord+Servant

e: beaten with a much better explanation.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I wonder if they'll do some patching and fix some of that stuff up when they release the DLC. I'm guessing they'll have to do some sort of compatibility patch anyway so that vanilla players can play with dlc players.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
It's a real bastard of a place in Sen's Fortress. After the initial 2 Serpent Soldiers, there's 2 red ones. Two at once is quite difficult I find.
After those two I then must cross the swinging-axe walkway which now features a red Serpent Mage looking directly at you flinging electricity in your face.

It hasn't been a good weekend for me :)

Fyuz
Dec 15, 2004

Just posting to say I should be able to help distribute the mule as I have the day off today. GT is JoyrexJ5, I will post in here if/when I receive the items to pass them on.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Fibby Boy posted:

It's just unfortunate that the covenant is so buggy since it sounds really fun to be apart of.

Pretty much. When I was looking at covenants early in my gameplay (I only used the wiki a little my first time though) I saw Gravelord and thought "Woah, that sounds like a riot, I can grief the hell out of some dudes from the comfort of my home-realm." but in the end I just got a buggy covenant where I couldn't even tell if my infections were activating properly half the time. :smith:

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Alright I want to get in on this 360 mantrain tonight. I will be on this evening probably starting at 7ish, or I can do it at about 3:30 this afternoon if somebody lets me know here - or on XBL actually.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Man, I love how much trolling in this game there is. It's completely optional and completely cruel and hilarious.

Can't wait to play this again on Steam.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

truther posted:

It's a real bastard of a place in Sen's Fortress. After the initial 2 Serpent Soldiers, there's 2 red ones. Two at once is quite difficult I find.
After those two I then must cross the swinging-axe walkway which now features a red Serpent Mage looking directly at you flinging electricity in your face.

It hasn't been a good weekend for me :)

I pretty sure you got infected by a gravelord, since those red serpent people aren't ever there normally.

I could certainly see them making things more interesting, though.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

buzzsaw.gif posted:

Alright I want to get in on this 360 mantrain tonight. I will be on this evening probably starting at 7ish, or I can do it at about 3:30 this afternoon if somebody lets me know here - or on XBL actually.

I'll be on later and will try to get it to at least two goons. Definitely you, as you donated most of the weapons and spent a few hours helping me dupe everything, and whoever else happens to be on my friend list and available. After that I'll leave it up to y'all to figure out who's next in line.

I should be on around 4/5pm CST.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Thundercracker posted:

Man, I love how much trolling in this game there is. It's completely optional and completely cruel and hilarious.

Oh man, tell me about it. Yesterday on the underside of the Parish bridge, I encountered a guy with some equipment or something on so he never staggered, and he spent five minutes repeatedly chasing me around, hitting me with a rapid knife combo to break down my shield, then trying to kick me off the side of the bridge. After I avoided this for about five minutes, he stopped, waved, and rolled off the side. I kicked him off before he made it. :3:

Of course, then I realized I couldn't reach his bloodstain. :saddowns:

Arist fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 4, 2012

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

EC posted:

I'll be on later and will try to get it to at least two goons. Definitely you, as you donated most of the weapons and spent a few hours helping me dupe everything, and whoever else happens to be on my friend list and available. After that I'll leave it up to y'all to figure out who's next in line.

I should be on around 4/5pm CST.

OK, that's like 5 or 6 pm for me. I can make that happen.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Thundercracker posted:

I have a facebook photo album dedicated to butthurt messages I get on XBL. :smug:

I can't believe that there is no :trollface: smiley!

Mr. Bing
Oct 25, 2004

...Is it still there?
I love this game because I can be completely naked aside from a silly hat and still be dangerous. I can't recall how many hosts/white phantoms I've sent flying off the roof of Sen's with a knee or backstabpunch. Not to mention the people with weapons I've parried bare-handed.

Then out comes the Demon's Greataxe.:black101:

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Bing posted:

I love this game because I can be completely naked aside from a silly hat and still be dangerous. I can't recall how many hosts/white phantoms I've sent flying off the roof of Sen's with a knee or backstabpunch. Not to mention the people with weapons I've parried bare-handed.

Then out comes the Demon's Greataxe.:black101:

Is the Demon's Greataxe the only weapon that gets two parry animations? I've seen videos of people using it's parry to knock someone down, step on them, and then smash it down on their face. Yet, I can never get that weapon, or any weapon for that matter, to do anything other than the baseball smack or gut stab.

Mr. Bing
Oct 25, 2004

...Is it still there?

Fibby Boy posted:

Is the Demon's Greataxe the only weapon that gets two parry animations? I've seen videos of people using it's parry to knock someone down, step on them, and then smash it down on their face. Yet, I can never get that weapon, or any weapon for that matter, to do anything other than the baseball smack or gut stab.

The Hornet Ring gives you alternate parry/backstab animations, but they only show up if you use them on "human" opponents: other people in PVP, Havel/Ricard/NPC Invaders, etc.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
@buzzsaw and other 360 dudes: I might be a bit late getting online tonight. I was pulling into traffic when a dude t-boned me, luckily not causing harm to anyone and no major damage to my truck. It has totally hosed over my afternoon schedule, though.

I should still be able to hook people up tonight, just later than expected. If not, the wife is out of town till Thursday, so I can do it tomorrow.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
I won't be able to make it tonight 360 dudes. If anything it'll be closer to the weekend. I'll post when I have a definite time. Once I have a guy stocked I'll be glad to help people on weekends in the evening time. At least a few times.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I'll be free weds and thurs night. I can help if need be. I'd love to get all the gear because gently caress 4k.

Sorry about your wreck. Hope you're alright.

Gt is same as name here.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
Managed to make it past the glowing-red dudes but by the time I reached the top of Sen's I realised there was still one left. Oh well, whoever else was infected (if 3 games get infected) can deal with it :)

Took down O&S with the help of two phantoms - massive relief. Next I want to restore the Fireline Soulkeeper, am not looking forward to that fight.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Alright, just finished giving all that poo poo to buzzsaw. I hosed up and lost a bunch of weapons because I didn't know items dissapeared if you have too many dropped, but we'll get that fixed. Everyone now can hassle him to be the next in line! :)

I'm going to drink six beers and forget that some fatty ran into me today. Y'all have fun!

truther posted:

Took down O&S with the help of two phantoms - massive relief. Next I want to restore the Fireline Soulkeeper, am not looking forward to that fight.

That fight is a bit easier if you use a bow to aggro/take out the sorcerer first. The other two are much easier to deal with after that.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
Bring the Dragonslayer bow and you can kill all three of them from Range no problem. Or you can be even lamer and use poison arrows like every other challenge in the game.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Are divine/occult weapons ever really worth using? Compared to a good old-fashioned lightning/fire weapon it looks like even at 50 faith you're giving up an awful lot of physical damage for a small amount of extra non-physical damage.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
On PVP I really doubt it. PVE it will tear poo poo up, but PVP people will have the split damage absolutely plummet. Always a better idea to ratchet up a +15 weapon and toss on Crystal Magic Weapon or the appropriate miracle counterpart instead.

PVE it really doesn't matter. You'll probably even have a better time because monsters will be weak to either Divine or Occult weapons.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Contra Duck posted:

Are divine/occult weapons ever really worth using? Compared to a good old-fashioned lightning/fire weapon it looks like even at 50 faith you're giving up an awful lot of physical damage for a small amount of extra non-physical damage.

They're okay if for whatever reason you don't ever level up Strength or Dexterity :v:
It's essentially there to give Cleric types an equivalent to Magic/Enchanted for Sorcerors... except Sorcerors actually have offensive magics and might actually want to use an Enchanted weapon because they can survive without STR/DEX.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Alabaster White posted:

They're okay if for whatever reason you don't ever level up Strength or Dexterity :v:
It's essentially there to give Cleric types an equivalent to Magic/Enchanted for Sorcerors... except Sorcerors actually have offensive magics and might actually want to use an Enchanted weapon because they can survive without STR/DEX.

Plus, Occult for some reason doesn't seem to have better scaling than Divine, unlike Enchanted, one of the only things that still scale well from 40-50.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Plus, Occult for some reason doesn't seem to have better scaling than Divine, unlike Enchanted, one of the only things that still scale well from 40-50.

50 INT and Enchanted anything is so much fun. Anytime I get bored of the MLGS I make something to a +4 and it's always a good diversion. It's how I discovered the swag sword! Enchanted Uchis do magic AND bleed, which is useful when someone casts magic barrier. Chaos is probably better with 10 humanity though.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Worth noting when you're looking at a weapon that it's total AR isn't really the important part, it's the components that matter. Occult has higher magic damage relative to physical damage on it, whereas divine is more balanced. This means Occult will suffer less damage loss to defenses in most cases (magic defense is rarer than physical). You can apply this logic to choosing between +15 and Chaos, simple testing against a PvP opponent shows that a +15 with 30-40 in a high scaling stat will outdamage a +5 Chaos with 10 Humanity because the Chaos weapon has split damage and so it suffers twice the damage loss (roughly) to defenses that a +15 does.

Oh, and the items on the ground limit is 25, for future reference.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Read posted:

Worth noting when you're looking at a weapon that it's total AR isn't really the important part, it's the components that matter. Occult has higher magic damage relative to physical damage on it, whereas divine is more balanced. This means Occult will suffer less damage loss to defenses in most cases (magic defense is rarer than physical). You can apply this logic to choosing between +15 and Chaos, simple testing against a PvP opponent shows that a +15 with 30-40 in a high scaling stat will outdamage a +5 Chaos with 10 Humanity because the Chaos weapon has split damage and so it suffers twice the damage loss (roughly) to defenses that a +15 does.

Oh, and the items on the ground limit is 25, for future reference.

That only applies to STR/DEX, though, right? Is there a +15 weapon that scales with FTH or INT? Chaos is a good stat-independent upgrade path as an alt if you're maxing those two (and who don't like setting fire to people?).

25 is it? drat.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

By the way, what were the items that were lost from the Supermule? I have a couple interesting things lying around that I thought I might be able to contribute.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
It shouldn't really matter because the point of the mule is to BB glitch its entire inventory to a new character. So nothing was lost, but buzzsaw.gif is missing a few pieces he'll have to get dumped onto his mule copy by either EC or somebody else who has them on a SL 1 character with a soapstone.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

code:
Vit 16		Shadow Mask +5
Att 12		Shadow Garb +5
End 20		Black Iron Gauntlets +5
Str 10		Shadow Leggings +5
Dex 20
Res 10		Poise: (58 Wolf) 18
Int 14		Fast Roll
Fai 12		= SL 33 Thief

FaP Ring + Wolf/Hawk/Hornet/RIR as needed
L: Painting Guardian Sword+5 or Thorolund Talisman or Sorcerer's Catalyst/Dark Hand
R: Priscilla's Dagger+5/Longbow+10(meh)[Poison/Feather or Fire]
Spells: Chameleon - Force
Items: Humanity - Lloyd's Talisman - Poison Knife - Firebomb - Dung Pie
This build in Upper Blighttown is just too much fun. I've never gotten this much hatemail before. I never use force unless I'm outnumbered 3 to 1, or Chameleon 2 to 1, and the bow makes forcing campers out of hiding an entertaining challenge. Getting bleed on people who clearly aren't expecting it is a joy, and anyone who rolls off the edge gets a Prism Stone scream. :feelsgood:

Chard fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 5, 2012

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Chard posted:

code:

Vit 16		Shadow Mask +5
Att 12		Shadow Garb +5
End 20		Black Iron Gauntlets +5
Str 10		Shadow Leggings +5
Dex 20
Res 10		Poise: (58 Wolf) 18
Int 14		Fast Roll
Fai 12		= SL 33 Thief

FaP Ring + Wolf/Hawk/Hornet/RIR as needed
L: Painting Guardian Sword+5 or Thorolund Talisman or Sorcerer's Catalyst/Dark Hand
R: Priscilla's Dagger+5/Longbow+10(meh)[Poison/Feather or Fire]
Spells: Chameleon - Force
Items: Humanity - Lloyd's Talisman - Poison Knife - Firebomb - Dung Pie

This build in Upper Blighttown is just too much fun. I've never gotten this much hatemail before. I never use force unless I'm outnumbered 3 to 1, or Chameleon 2 to 1, and the bow makes forcing campers out of hiding an entertaining challenge. Getting bleed on people who clearly aren't expecting it is a joy, and anyone who rolls off the edge gets a Prism Stone scream. :feelsgood:

Thank you for posting this, it saves me from having to min/max it myself. I'm definitely gonna replace my Mildred gimmick with this dude. :getin:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

No problem, everyone should give this a shot. I was originally lower by maybe 4 or 5 levels, but I wanted to switch from Parrying Dagger to the PGS to get the left hand bleed (and cool parry animation), and that poo poo is surprisingly heavy.

Also a full H-Tank really helps, of course.

e: I'm actually kind of proud of that template, other people should use it to post what they use! :lovedump2020:

template proposal posted:

code:
Vit _		Head
Att _		Chest
End _		Arms
Str _		Legs
Dex _		Poise: 
Res _		HP
Int _		_ Roll tot/max weight
Fai _		= SL _ Class  [Gift} 

Ring/Ring
L: Main/Second [Alt]
R: Main/Second [Alt]
Spells: First - Second - Etc.
Items: First - Second - Etc.

Comments

Chard fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 5, 2012

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just watched a DLC preview video on IGN and the narrator says "is 15 dollars too expensive or would you rather it just be a stand alone game?". What is that even supposed to mean? Was he hoping they would stick the DLC on a disc and charge less than 15 bucks or was he hoping for a full blown sequel after 8 months? loving idiot.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
15 is so cheap it might as well be free for 90% of the community.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

How much Dexterity do I need to get for a dexterity build with Uchigatana to get the most out of its scaling? I'm enjoying this dex run much more than my strength run I had for achivements.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Mr E posted:

How much Dexterity do I need to get for a dexterity build with Uchigatana to get the most out of its scaling? I'm enjoying this dex run much more than my strength run I had for achivements.

About 40. Depends on your other goals, really, but with an uchi maybe you'd want like 36 int (out whatever it is) for CMW plus some vit/end.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I just finished Demon's Souls and thought it was great, so now I'm giving this a whirl. I just finished the tutorial level and I was wondering if there is any basic stuff I should know going into the main game. I'm starting out as a Warrior because it seemed like a good, balanced early-game class. Eventually I think I'm going to go with some kind of Katana / Dex build (I did a STR / Crushing Knight Sword build in demon's souls and wanted to switch it up). I read on the Dark Souls wiki that enemeies scale in this game, but the rest of the internet disagrees. What gives?

Is there are bare minimum I should shoot for with attunement/ faith / intelligence? I almost never used magic in Demon's Souls except for some of the buff spells (Second Chance, mainly).

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jun 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

il serpente cosmico posted:

I just finished Demon's Souls and thought it was great, so now I'm giving this a whirl. I just finished the tutorial level and I was wondering if there is any basic stuff I should know going into the main game. I'm starting out as a Warrior because it seemed like a good, balanced early-game class. Eventually I think I'm going to go with some kind of Katana / Dex build (I did a STR / Crushing Knight Sword build in demon's souls and wanted to switch it up). I read on the Dark Souls wiki that enemeies scale in this game, but the rest of the internet disagrees. What gives?

Enemies don't scale to your level. Anybody who says that is stupid and doesn't know a thing about the game.

• Locked thread