Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

iastudent posted:

:siren: PS+ members get 12 free games starting tomorrow! :siren:

LittleBigPlanet 2, Saints Row 2, and Infamous 2 confirmed so far.

gently caress. Gonna have to get a PS Plus subscription.

And a bigger hard drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

MUFFlNS posted:

The Last of Us looks neat and all but holy poo poo did God of War Ascension look loving awesome :aaa:

Yeah, I don't know why it seemed to be getting poo poo on so much. It looks like legit God of War but the combos looked way more complicated and they actually loving added new enemy types.

Last of Us looks incredible too. It looked like you actually had a non-regenerating health bar :aaa:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I thought they mentioned PSN+ would be $5 a month.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Let's talk about the real thing here. Wonderbook

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The Last of Us, God of War: Ascension, Assassin's Creed 3 and Beyond impressed me the most out of anything E3 had to offer. All of them on the PS3, luckily. :haw:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Gaseous Snake posted:

No.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Krad posted:

If they can say that the whole sequence wasn't scripted, I'll buy it day one.

Also AC3's boat fight looked all kinds of stupid but extremely fun. :downs:

It was definitely scripted. It's going to be just like Uncharted-- very linear and heavily scripted. Which means the concepts "guns have little ammo and no regenerating health" mean nothing, since they will give you whatever ammo you need in each encounter, and probably give you health packs after each one. Otherwise the game would come to a grinding stop if you messed up and couldn't heal.

It's also going to be awesome and a ton of fun just like Uncharted. God of War on the other hand almost put me to sleep. I can only play the same game so many times.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

the_american_dream posted:

How would it not be?
What...do you mean?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Harlock posted:

I thought they mentioned PSN+ would be $5 a month.

3 months of Plus is currently $18, which is more than $5 a month obviously.

A year is $50, though.

What he meant wasn't really clear. Might have been sneaking in a price change reference, or giving a middle ground price for the 2.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
The free games thing is really nice. Do you lose the ability to play a game you've downloaded once they rotate it out?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jjaarreett posted:

The free games thing is really nice. Do you lose the ability to play a game you've downloaded once they rotate it out?

Nope. It's yours for good, provided you're subscribed.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Gaseous Snake posted:

While I thought the presentation was lackluster, I think the idea has potential for children. I don't know why, but it kind of reminds me of the Toy Box mode from Toy Story 3 in that you are kind of supposed to make your own fun it seems.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It wasn't very clear what makes the book different than a giant AR card though.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

axleblaze posted:

Yeah, I don't know why it seemed to be getting poo poo on so much. It looks like legit God of War but the combos looked way more complicated and they actually loving added new enemy types.

It's still 95% the same game. Which was cool in the first game in 2005 and even cooler in the second game in 2007. This is game number six though and it's only 2012. People are getting brand fatigue.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Wait so they put Infamous 2 on sale for a week and then they offer it for free a couple weeks later? Fuuuuuuuuck

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

3 months of Plus is currently $18, which is more than $5 a month obviously.

A year is $50, though.

What he meant wasn't really clear. Might have been sneaking in a price change reference, or giving a middle ground price for the 2.

So they've dropped it to $50 a year and you get free PS3 games? What the hell?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Aphrodite posted:

provided you're subscribed.

That's the key phrase to keep in mind. The games aren't "free" so much as they're long-term rentals.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Haha, yeah, I bought it and I also have PSPlus. Well, whatever. Atleast I'll still be able to play it if my subscription dies.

Kind of kicking myself for not getting Mortal Kombat though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RandolphCarter posted:

So they've dropped it to $50 a year and you get free PS3 games? What the hell?

No, it's already $50 now.

Edit: They just confirmed on G4 that there are many ways you can go through the combat scenario in the demo. Including not killing at all.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 5, 2012

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Megasabin posted:

It was definitely scripted. It's going to be just like Uncharted-- very linear and heavily scripted. Which means the concepts "guns have little ammo and no regenerating health" mean nothing, since they will give you whatever ammo you need in each encounter, and probably give you health packs after each one. Otherwise the game would come to a grinding stop if you messed up and couldn't heal.

It's also going to be awesome and a ton of fun just like Uncharted. God of War on the other hand almost put me to sleep. I can only play the same game so many times.

I don't necessarily think it will be that bad. Obviously the stuff showed off tonight was done to elicit a response from the audience, but I see no reason why it wouldn't be possible to sneak by the whole crew.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.

Aphrodite posted:

Nope. It's yours for good, provided you're subscribed.

What I've wondered about is, do you permanently lose access to them if you unsubscribe, or do you regain access to them if you re-subscribe at a later date?

Edit: Also gently caress, I'm a PS+ subscriber and I just bought Infamous and LBP2 a couple weeks ago :(

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

What I've wondered about is, do you permanently lose access to them if you unsubscribe, or do you regain access to them if you re-subscribe at a later date?

No, you get it back if you resub.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

iastudent posted:

Whoops! Several sources are saying it's either 2 or 3 but 2 seems to be the more common one.
They showed the box art in the keynote. It's 2.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

No, it's already $50 now.

Edit: They just confirmed on G4 that there are many ways you can go through the combat scenario in the demo. Including not killing at all.

Oh I thought it was $60, good to hear about The Last of Us. Now they need to tell everyone on the internet individually so people can shut up about it being a scripted murder simulator uncharted clone.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I wish E3 demos would be released on PSN and the like, even if they were timed.

I remember being so eager to try the Lost Planet demo back during E3 week however many years ago (on my 360). That was probably the last year when that was done.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Harlock posted:

I wish E3 demos would be released on PSN and the like, even if they were timed.

I remember being so eager to try the Lost Planet demo back during E3 week however many years ago (on my 360). That was probably the last year when that was done.

That would be incredibly awesome, but at the same time pretty dangerous for developers, I guess. Maybe when there's a way to entirely encrypt the files so people can't datamine into every little nook and cranny.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

The Last of Us, God of War: Ascension, Assassin's Creed 3 and Beyond impressed me the most out of anything E3 had to offer. All of them on the PS3, luckily. :haw:

Did you see Watch Dog?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yeah Watch Dogs was really impressive. It's the only real game at E3 that really grabbed me.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

the truth posted:

Did you see Watch Dog?
Yeah, I forgot all about that amidst the massive bickering in the E3 thread about whether or not it was real time/current gen/100% scripted tech demo. It looked really amazing but I doubt we'll be seeing it anytime soon. Really hoping it delivers though.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Wow are you loving serious with that Last of Us demo? That was crazy realistic

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

pfff there aren't buildings like that in Pittsburgh :rolleyes:

Nah that looks really cool, can't wait

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Seriously. I'm pretty unmoved when it comes to violence, but the action in the Last of Us demo (especially the melee) was making me wince with every hit. It's making me very optimistic for the game. Does it have a release date as of yet?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Phew, just watched the Last of Us video, that last bit was... yeah. I highly doubt real gameplay will be so smoothly cinematic, but it looks like a solid price-break buy.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Eurogamer is reporting that the PSN+ free games tomorrow (today) will include Virtua Fighter 5, Just Cause 2 and Choplifter HD, in addition to the three already listed. This seems pretty insane, I wonder when the store will get updated.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

abagofcheetos posted:

Eurogamer is reporting that the PSN+ free games tomorrow (today) will include Virtua Fighter 5, Just Cause 2 and Choplifter HD, in addition to the three already listed. This seems pretty insane, I wonder when the store will get updated.

Goddamn. I can't imagine they'd toss in the customization packs for VF5 with that, but the base game for free when it'll be brand new is more than enough.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

abagofcheetos posted:

All three of those games WERE on the big screen when Sony was talking about that. Which would be real nice, as I was planning on dropping the full $45 on VF5 today anyway.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Chard posted:

Phew, just watched the Last of Us video, that last bit was... yeah. I highly doubt real gameplay will be so smoothly cinematic, but it looks like a solid price-break buy.
Like someone before said, that is the most realistic violence I have seen in a game. I wonder, could it resurrect the old 90s Mortal Kombat game violence media frenzy, or is that finally dead and buried?

zarron
Sep 1, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Like someone before said, that is the most realistic violence I have seen in a game. I wonder, could it resurrect the old 90s Mortal Kombat game violence media frenzy, or is that finally dead and buried?

Dude in games now you can chainsaw people in half. The word Nigga gets thrown around commonly. Blowing people heads off. At this point that ship had been sailed. I honestly don't know why some goons are freaking out over it but there are plenty of other games that are worse in my opinion.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Crosspost from the PS store thread:

iastudent posted:

:siren: PS+ members get 12 free games starting tomorrow! :siren:

LittleBigPlanet 2, Saints Row 2, and Infamous 2 confirmed so far.

*updated* 13 were on the screen, but 2 were of the same game. Games include:
Infamous 2,
LittleBigPlanet 2,
Saints Row 2,
Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown
Sideway New York,
Lara Croft: Guardian of the Light,
Hard Corps: Uprising,
Just Cause 2,
Choplifter HD,
Zombie Apocalypse: Never Die Alone,
Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One
Warhammer 40k: Space Marine (thanks Blunt Force Trauma), top left and bottom left

:psyboom:

Everyone with PS+ that bought Infamous 2 and Just Cause 2 on sale last week :cawg:

Two of those games I bought, but never played yet. :cripes:

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jun 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

zarron posted:

Dude in games now you can chainsaw people in half. The word Nigga gets thrown around commonly. Blowing people heads off. At this point that ship had been sailed. I honestly don't know why some goons are freaking out over it but there are plenty of other games that are worse in my opinion.
Like what? Obviously other games have more detailed and gross displays of violence but more realistic as far as the reactions of the person getting worked over, I haven't seen it.

I mean, I'm not expecting it but it would still be funny to see again after all these years, and probably increase sales.

• Locked thread