Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

something original
Sep 9, 2011
Does anyone know how much increase in bandwidth use is caused by Chrome's pre-rendering feature? I know it uses algorithms to guess your next move and download parts of web pages in the background but I've been wondering if there is a comparison or analysis out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
For some reason, my work machine's Chrome browser has this weird behavior that Firefox:

When I select a dropdown element on a website (like a country list or a list of names or months) and start typing in it or use the arrow keys to quickly get to the selection I want, the moment I click out, the dropdown element reverts back to whatever it was on before.

So if it was initially "[Select a Country]" and I start using the arrow keys or typing to quickly select "Azerbaijan", it will go to "Azerbaijan" and stay on it up to the point I click out of the element to move on.

I can hit tab to make the selection stick, but I was wondering if this behavior is standard on Chrome (I feel like my home Chrome client doesn't do this).

I know this is some trifling poo poo, but it's something I am doing constantly at work and I'd love to have this uniform across all my browsers.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Just started getting this weird problem a few moments ago, every once in awhile when I open a link in a new tab Chrome will close and IE will open, it doesn't even load the page it just opens.

Any ideas?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Reive posted:

Just started getting this weird problem a few moments ago, every once in awhile when I open a link in a new tab Chrome will close and IE will open, it doesn't even load the page it just opens.

Any ideas?

Are you using an IE-tab type extension?

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.
Is there an extension that would allow you to double-click an image on a webpage and have it open in a new tab?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

bazaar apparatus posted:

Is there an extension that would allow you to double-click an image on a webpage and have it open in a new tab?

Does it have to be a double click? You can already right click and do this from the resulting contextual menu.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Penguissimo posted:

Does it have to be a double click? You can already right click and do this from the resulting contextual menu.
This.

You could probably write a userscript that did this, but I'm not sure how much more useful it'd be.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

Penguissimo posted:

I know, I'm just looking for a faster way to do it. It's something I do pretty often.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

bazaar apparatus posted:

I know, I'm just looking for a faster way to do it. It's something I do pretty often.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hdbnhlnfmkkfdmlfcokdjfgebdoklmel

This extension opens an image in a new tab upon right clicking it, which kinda sucks because then you lose the context menu for it, but maybe it'll suit your purpose.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Why not just use hover zoom to load images? That way you don't need to deal with tabs.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is there any way to directly/manually edit how Chrome handles certain file types? Why is such a seemingly fundamental feature so difficult to find? :psyduck:

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Mak0rz posted:

Is there any way to directly/manually edit how Chrome handles certain file types? Why is such a seemingly fundamental feature so difficult to find? :psyduck:
Nope.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Oh wow. Thanks, Google, for ignoring a very useful function that Firefox has had for years :bravo:

Is there an extension or something I can use? This is kind of aggravating.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Mak0rz posted:

Oh wow. Thanks, Google, for ignoring a very useful function that Firefox has had for years :bravo:

Don't give Firefox all the credit. I'm pretty sure that feature dates back to NCSA Mosaic.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
And IE acts the same way as Chrome.

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Is anyone else getting really, really lovely search results in Chrome? I am, and it only happens when I'm signed into my main google account, and then only in Chrome, no other browser. It's not an errant plugin or virus. Incognito mode gives me expected, normal results. Personal results as well as Web History are turned off. I'm in the Chrome Beta channel. Am I in some horrible search algorithm beta? Is there any way out?

Chrome search for "kindle":

Safari search for "kindle", signed into the same Google account:

Bonus Chrome search for "minus":

Coughing-up Tweed fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 9, 2012

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Back on the first page a goon talked about how him and a friend created Pandora Enhancer, I had it forever but just switched harddrives and i went to find it and it looks like it might of been removed. Is there a way I can look at my old harddrive which is being used as a secondary driver and find the extensions in the old chrome folder? If not, anyone know where I can get it?

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

Pandora didn't like him using their name, so he had to take off the Chrome Store. You can get it from his website.

Also if you have a gmail account you can log in through chrome and it will back up all your extensions, passwords, etc. to the cloud. Makes restoring your chrome profile simple.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
awesome I didn't even know about that, thanks!

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Its doesn't keep your extension settings, keep that in mind. I think they were going to try and sync those too, anyone know when that will be?

Strat
Nov 6, 2004

kri kri posted:

Why not just use hover zoom to load images? That way you don't need to deal with tabs.

Yep use Hover Zoom, it's amazing and you will be lost without it after using it for a shortwhile.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/nonjdcjchghhkdoolnlbekcfllmednbl

Also while hovering press 'T' to open the image in a separate tab.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Is there any way to make the address bar leaner?
The font size of the URL and the buttons are about 50% too large for my delicate taste.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is there a way to turn off auto resize on the images? Having this problem on SA again. I thought it was fixed in the other SA Chrome app, but now they are getting resize again and putting a really annoying text below each image saying it was resize.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So is there some reason that whenever I quit Chrome, I get logged out of every website? Cookies are enabled and I'm on osx 10.7.4

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Rirse posted:

Is there a way to turn off auto resize on the images? Having this problem on SA again. I thought it was fixed in the other SA Chrome app, but now they are getting resize again and putting a really annoying text below each image saying it was resize.

That's (probably, unless another Chrome extension has started doing it) Fancy SA Forums. It does that to avoid table breaking, but I can understand why it would be really annoying in some situations (Let's Plays especially).

Next version of Fancy SA will probably let you toggle it on/off; it's kinda glitchy anyways (fails to adds links to the full-size image *a lot* of the time for some reason).

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I think I tried to ask this eariler in the thread but it still isn't working. On my work PC whenever I try to go to: https://news.google.com/nwshp?hl=en&tab=wn

I recieve: "The site's security certificate is signed using a weak signature algorithm!" and there is no continue button just a back button.

I know we use a proxy / websense so I would imagine it has something to do with that but I can't for the life of me figure it out, and my work has no idea either. I did get past that for a while using something like '-disable ssl' or like '-use system ssl' in the target field of properties but that stopped working as well.

It works in IE and Mozilla so i have no idea what is going on with Chrome.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
What's the best download manager? Mainly for mass downloading images.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

fyallm posted:

I think I tried to ask this eariler in the thread but it still isn't working. On my work PC whenever I try to go to: https://news.google.com/nwshp?hl=en&tab=wn

I recieve: "The site's security certificate is signed using a weak signature algorithm!" and there is no continue button just a back button.

I know we use a proxy / websense so I would imagine it has something to do with that but I can't for the life of me figure it out, and my work has no idea either. I did get past that for a while using something like '-disable ssl' or like '-use system ssl' in the target field of properties but that stopped working as well.

It works in IE and Mozilla so i have no idea what is going on with Chrome.

Usually how these things work is that your work computer has a certificate installed for that proxy by the administrator. This allows the proxy to do man in the middle things for secure connections. If you click on the lock icon on the failed page, you can probably get a summary of what's wrong.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Every now and then, using my mousewheel on my Logitech G500 to scroll horizontally doesn't work. It seems to work after a full reboot but nothing else seems to work. The wheel definitely works in other programs, it seems side scrolling in Chrome is the only issue.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

crazysim posted:

Usually how these things work is that your work computer has a certificate installed for that proxy by the administrator. This allows the proxy to do man in the middle things for secure connections. If you click on the lock icon on the failed page, you can probably get a summary of what's wrong.

The only thing mine says is "The identity of this website has not been verified. Server's certificate is signed with a weak signature algorithm."

Then in the second box it says my encryption with the website is 256-bit encrypted.

Is there a way I can fix this?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'd like to find a script or extension to do one simple thing - I hit a button, and it'll just go through all hotlinks to images in a webpage and preload the images in the background. So far I haven't had any luck, could anyone help me out?

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

fyallm posted:

The only thing mine says is "The identity of this website has not been verified. Server's certificate is signed with a weak signature algorithm."

Then in the second box it says my encryption with the website is 256-bit encrypted.

Hmm, I doubt you can do anything. Pass this on:

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=120715

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
I don't really know where else to ask this, so is there any way to stop addons (specifically the facebook one) from popping up a little notification in the corner of the screen every time I get a message?

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Manky posted:

I'd like to find a script or extension to do one simple thing - I hit a button, and it'll just go through all hotlinks to images in a webpage and preload the images in the background. So far I haven't had any luck, could anyone help me out?

http://bulkimagedownloader.com/bid/download/bulk-image-downloader-google-chrome-extension/

There FF addon is a little less clunky, but neverless this is an decent port.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

fyallm posted:

Tell whoever runs the proxy to stop using a lovely hash algorithm :colbert:

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

crazysim posted:

Hmm, I doubt you can do anything. Pass this on:

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=120715

Thanks for that thread, I guess I'm just poo poo out of luck since the response I know I will get is, use IE.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Just getting started with Chrome...

How do I make address bar searches open in a new tab?

Civil Twilight
Apr 2, 2011

PirateBob posted:

How do I make address bar searches open in a new tab?

On a mac, cmd-enter will do that; probably ctrl-enter on Windows.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Civil Twilight posted:

On a mac, cmd-enter will do that; probably ctrl-enter on Windows.

Just tried this. Ctrl+enter is the equivalent of the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Mak0rz posted:

Just tried this. Ctrl+enter is the equivalent of the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button.

It's alt+enter for a new tab. But how do I make that the default?