Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Vagabundo posted:

Hardy and Pine had the same body, only flipped on the theatrical poster, so I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case. The part about the legs, I mean.

There was a giant billboard in my neighborhood with that poster on it. I got to see a Photoshop nightmare every day on my way to work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, my local theater had a giant 3 story banner with that poster. It was super jarring.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Here's our latest...

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
That's a very good poster, distinctive, the actors aren't photoshopped, and it tells you what it's about. It's amazing what having the leads actually pose for posters at some point during production can do for you.

The perspective on the capital seems odd, but not implausible. And I get why they did the button like that, and I'm sure a lot of people will like it, but I think it obscures the name of the movie.

A-

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

That poster is seconds away from getting really sexy, I bet. You know how politicians are like.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Speleothing posted:

the actors aren't photoshopped

Ha thanks, but more accurate to say they're photoshopped well. It is from a photoshoot but yeah, they're touched up. See if you can spot where!

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

kiimo posted:

Ha thanks, but more accurate to say they're photoshopped well. It is from a photoshoot but yeah, they're touched up. See if you can spot where!

It is a really good job. I like the poster.

Something about Zach Galifianakis' cheek/neck looks a little off, if I had to guess a single part, but really can't find anything that looks 'obviously' photoshopped.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

kiimo posted:

Here's our latest...

Holy poo poo its like going to be another Anchorman! Zach Galifianakis looks like Teddy Roosevelt.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

LesterGroans posted:

It is a really good job. I like the poster.

Something about Zach Galifianakis' cheek/neck looks a little off, if I had to guess a single part, but really can't find anything that looks 'obviously' photoshopped.

Ha actually that part isn't. But Will's neck definitely has been de-double chinned.

Also the eyebrows have been touched up both jawlines sharpened. Not too much though.

I agree about the button but the filmmakers wanted that political feel.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I like this thread because not only do I get to see lovely posters get ripped to shreds, I also learn about upcoming movies that I was completely unaware of.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

kiimo posted:

Here's our latest...

I really like this, but somehow it makes me think it is a TV show rather than a movie. Maybe it's the bright lighting?

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

So, kiimo, why are they emphasizing "Will" and "Zach" instead of "Ferrell" and "Galifinakis"? It seems like those two are more known by their last name instead of their first - its not like Brad Pitt or Julia Roberts. Just wondering what the reasoning was.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Two reasons. One, which is only a small amount of the reason, is everyone in the whole production just calls them Will and Zach and they/we might be a little too deep in it to know that the rest of the country doesn't recognize it that way.

Two, and more importantly, it fits on the button better. There was a whole process where all our comps had different title treatments and then the filmmakers and execs finally decided on a button (some buttons had last names) and we had to go back and put that button on all our old comps before we moved forward on a one-sheet decision.

I wasn't in the button decision meeting but that's what I heard.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Speleothing posted:

That's a very good poster, distinctive, the actors aren't photoshopped, and it tells you what it's about. It's amazing what having the leads actually pose for posters at some point during production can do for you.

The perspective on the capital seems odd, but not implausible. And I get why they did the button like that, and I'm sure a lot of people will like it, but I think it obscures the name of the movie.

A-

The name of the movie is a bit obscured but the name of the movie may as well be Will Ferrell & Zach Galifianakis anyway.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

First it was Dogfight. Then it was Southern Rivals. Then it was Rivals. Then we spent months trying to retitle it. Then the director chose The Campaign. *sigh*

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm sure there's something much better but of just those four I prefer The Campaign.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
Every time I see Galafianakis like that I have to tell myself it's not a prequel to Parks and Recreation featuring a younger Ron Swanson before he became disenfranchised with government.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

kiimo posted:

First it was Dogfight. Then it was Southern Rivals. Then it was Rivals. Then we spent months trying to retitle it. Then the director chose The Campaign. *sigh*
Its a better pick than all those other ones. The other ones would lead my expectations which I don't think is ever good.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

kiimo posted:

Ha actually that part isn't. But Will's neck definitely has been de-double chinned.

Also the eyebrows have been touched up both jawlines sharpened. Not too much though.

I agree about the button but the filmmakers wanted that political feel.

That's hilarious. I probably shouldn't think that's as funny as I do, but ah well. I just hope I never need to be de-double chinned. :xd:

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

kiimo posted:

Here's our latest...

I like this poster a lot and I never heard about this movie until now. Thanks mate. :) I like that it is, as you said, minimally photoshopped and that it immediately tells you what it's about instead of two guys standing next to each other staring at the camera in their own goofy way or something.

E: I've had to 'de-double-chin' photos before, it's still inherently funny every single time even though everyone will get a double chin in certain poses :haw:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The MSJ posted:

That poster is seconds away from getting really sexy, I bet. You know how politicians are like.

I was wondering if I was the only person thinking that they looked like they were about to start angrily making out.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vagabundo posted:

I was wondering if I was the only person thinking that they looked like they were about to start angrily making out.

Maybe there'll be lenticular posters where at one angle their tongues touch.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Lobok posted:

Maybe there'll be lenticular posters where at one angle their tongues touch.

Well if you watch our trailer they've already gotten to like second base at 1:31

crosspostin'

http://youtu.be/kDGlQopwXXA

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The bit with Will saying "I refuse to lose..." over his mouth saying something else is weird.

Is the movie actually funny with the lines decompressed? It looks terrible.

e: Was there concern about Zach's character being kind of similar to Jack Black in Bernie? Fat, mustache, fey?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 6, 2012

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Good poster, bad trailer.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Galifinakis ruins any movie he's in.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
good post, I for one agree that The Hangover might have been a truly profound work of genius had they removed the one funny person

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Galifinakis looks to be doing Jack Black in Bernie.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Role Play McMurphy posted:

good post, I for one agree that The Hangover might have been a truly profound work of genius had they removed the one funny person

Ok rear end in a top hat, I'll write more. Nice troll post though with no punctuation.

Let's sum up his roles and the type he ALWAYS plays: weirdo bearded man who always plays his shtick deadly serious. Every single role is the same from Hangover to Due Date and even in The Muppets. Maybe Hangover could have been a bit better without his bullshit.

He's boring and brings nothing to a film.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Vintersorg posted:

Ok rear end in a top hat, I'll write more. Nice troll post though with no punctuation.

Let's sum up his roles and the type he ALWAYS plays: weirdo bearded man who always plays his shtick deadly serious. Every single role is the same from Hangover to Due Date and even in The Muppets. Maybe Hangover could have been a bit better without his bullshit.

He's boring and brings nothing to a film.

He played a different role in Visioneers, but that was made before he got famous. More of a sad-sack "straight man" for what was going on the movie

Edit: I guess he may have done some wacky things in that movie now that I think about it (I think the was a wacky dream sequence kind of thing), I'm not sure, I barely remember it. In the main plot anyways, his role isn't the same as the Hangover etc.

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 6, 2012

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mister Chief posted:

Good poster, bad trailer.

Fair enough. It's hard to do a funny trailer when all the jokes are red band material.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Oh, I was hoping for something something Anchorman but then I watched the trailer posted. :( Teaches me to ever put faith in Will Ferrell just because of one movie

Speaking of which, Anchorman had a bland generic poster.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Suzuki Method posted:

I like this poster a lot and I never heard about this movie until now. Thanks mate. :) I like that it is, as you said, minimally photoshopped and that it immediately tells you what it's about instead of two guys standing next to each other staring at the camera in their own goofy way or something.

E: I've had to 'de-double-chin' photos before, it's still inherently funny every single time even though everyone will get a double chin in certain poses :haw:

It looks like Ron Swanson.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Have you people never seen a campaign button before? Seriously.

That poster looks fine. The movie looks promising. I'm excited to see what unfolds and I don't think I'm alone, even if Will Ferrell is returning to a stock character.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

kiimo posted:

Fair enough. It's hard to do a funny trailer when all the jokes are red band material.

This was the impression I got. I didn't think it was so bad, I laughed at Ferrel's complaining about hand pain after punching a baby.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Buying a couple colorful poster prints for my very stark white-walled office. There's a lot of crappy ones out there, so I've searched for a few days to find what I think are the some of the best (work-appropriate) designs. Each of these would be 11"x17" or 12"x18" prints, framed and matted appropriately.

Thoughts?

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 7, 2012

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

I usually dislike minimalist movie posters but I love those, jealous of your office.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Aatrek posted:

Thoughts?

Why does this go up to 12, then 13, then 7? Or am I overthinking this?

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

This looks pretty forced and dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Aatrek posted:

Thoughts?

I suggest looking here. Obviously you won't be able to find or afford a lot of those posters but it should give you some ideas and names of artists.