Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Forgot to mention it, the Dead State devs also released this trailer alongside the Kickstarter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMl-_9J1gtg

If you are wondering about Yellow Rose of Texas, the game is set in a fictional town in central Texas.

Rebel Blob fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Yeah, Dead State is the exact sort of game that KickStarter was made to get funding for. I am more excited for this than any KickStarter so far.

Rebel Blob posted:

The Dead State Kickstarter just went up.

Edit: Goddamnit. Anyway, I'm working on an OP for a Dead State thread.

Let me know if this falls through for some reason and I'll do it. This loving game.

e: Also you can bet this game is going to get some good coverage. I'm actually surprised the RPS article isn't up already with their hard-on for the fact that it's made by the Bloodlines guy.

e2: They've been getting like $95 a minute since the KS launched. Wheee.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 6, 2012

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Mq posted:

Gambitious launched. It's like Kickstarter but instead of rewarding your donation with a copy of a game or whatever, you can get a share of profits. Veeery interesting how this will pan out.

The biggest current project seems to be Tink, multiplatform action adventure where you color the world with emotions or something:

http://www.gambitious.com/ideas/1978-tink-pc-psn-xbla

edit: I was a bit flippant but after watching the pitch the game does look interesting.

I thought this sort of funding wasn't quite legal yet, at least in the US. Also, this place seems a little shady and I don't like their answer to what happens to the money if project funding fails: "The invested money so far can always be transferred back to the wallets of those who have invested in the idea. Alternatively, you could disinvest the money yourself before the deadline and invest in another business idea or transfer the money back to your bank account"

I'd prefer to see that say 'you get it back' full stop.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Kicked in fifty bucks for Dead State. Hate zombies, but love turn based RPGs and the whole take they have on the game.

Also, that t-shirt is pretty drat ugly.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

Please, if you have even an inkling of liking adventure games, try their prototype, join our thread here to discuss which of the two guys is sexier, and throw your money at their Kickstarter. Go! We are running out of time!

Given that King's Quest killed my interest in the entire genre for a decade (until a friend in university convinced me to give Day of the Tentacle a try) and Space Quest is (or was) made by the same guys, I think I'll pass.

Fintilgin posted:

Kicked in fifty bucks for Dead State. Hate zombies, but love turn based RPGs and the whole take they have on the game.

Also, that t-shirt is pretty drat ugly.

Dead State is the first (and so far only) "zombie game" that seems to place a greater emphasis on your interactions with the other survivors than on your shooting and/or dismembering of the zombies.

Between that, and the pedigree of the devs, I am kickstarting this so hard.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

Given that King's Quest killed my interest in the entire genre for a decade (until a friend in university convinced me to give Day of the Tentacle a try) and Space Quest is (or was) made by the same guys, I think I'll pass.

Same publisher, different people.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Okay, started a Dead State thread. Feel free to tell me how it could be improved.

Rebel Blob fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 6, 2012

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

Dead State is the first (and so far only) "zombie game" that seems to place a greater emphasis on your interactions with the other survivors than on your shooting and/or dismembering of the zombies.

Between that, and the pedigree of the devs, I am kickstarting this so hard.

King's Quest and Space Quest were made by the same company, but not by the same people. King's Quest was made by Roberta Williams, who is a bad person who should not make games.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

King's Quest IV, V, and VI loving rule and if you don't like them you're a little baby scrub and should go play COD. :twisted:

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

the black husserl posted:

King's Quest IV, V, and VI loving rule and if you don't like them you're a little baby scrub and should go play COD. :twisted:

No, they were terrible. They had bad music, bad puzzles, bad jokes, and bad stories. If you want to claim an adventure game is good at least two of those need to be good.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

And guess what little scaredy cats? The amazing remakes of King's Quest 1, 2, 3 have no fail conditions. And they rule so so hard.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

But not even you are willing to defend 1 through 3 :colbert:

EDIT: Or 7 or 8 for that matter

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

redmercer posted:

EDIT: Or 7 or 8 for that matter

The remake of 2 (Romancing the Stones) rocks and the remake of 3 is one of my favorite games.

NINbuntu 64 posted:

No, they were terrible. They had rad music, rad puzzles, rad jokes, and rad stories. If you want to claim an adventure game is good at least two of those need to be good.

So close buddy. :)

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

The remake of 2 (Romancing the Stones) rocks and the remake of 3 is one of my favorite games.

So close buddy. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xrudnnLcQ4

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

redmercer posted:

Kings Quest III - the best Kings Quest. :colbert:

Although I suspect that's 99% nostalgia as it was my very first adventure game.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

If I remember correctly, KQ5 is the one where the starting area has a bunch of puzzles, some of which areappear to be optional, most of which have multiple valid solutions, and failing to solve any of them (or solving them but not in exactly the right way) makes the game unwinnable (or just straight up kills you) many hours of gameplay later with no indication of what you did wrong.

KQ6 I remember very well. I especially remember making it almost to the end of the game and then finding out that I couldn't proceed without a nondescript item that only appears at all if you do an (apparently) completely unrelated action hours ago in an area you can never return to once you leave (playing the xylophone to get the skeleton key in the underworld).

These are both typical of the series. Fail to pick something up, or pick something up you shouldn't have, or pick the wrong solution of three or four equally plausible ones, or solve puzzles in the wrong order, or, in at least one case, cross a bridge too many times, and you are irrevocably hosed. And in most cases none of this is clued in-game, and the loving is so far removed from the offending act that there is practically no way to tell what you did wrong short of painstaking trial and error.

Text adventures can get away with this, sometimes, (although I don't like it even then and in modern IF it is heavily frowned upon) because even archaic ones support transcripts and thus let you essentially rewind to three hours ago, change one action, and fast-forward. King's Quest doesn't, and can't. They are bad games leaning on the worst sort of fake difficulty to present challenge.

Or, more succinctly

NINbuntu 64 posted:

No, they were terrible. They had bad music, bad puzzles, bad jokes, and bad stories. If you want to claim an adventure game is good at least two of those need to be good.

E: that said I also consider, for example, Kaizo Mario World and IWTBTG to be "bad games" for very similar reasons. If you're into that brand of masochism, don't let me stop you.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 6, 2012

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
The only thing that concerns me about Dead State is that they're really not asking for much money. Hopefully that's just because the game is so far along already. I want this game so bad. :ohdear:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Irregardless of your opinion on King's Quest, the Space Quest guys need your help. Step up! I'll make a Space Quest Goons t-shirt if needed!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The two project leads on the game are husband and wife. Considering that, $150,000 is probably their projected figure for how much they need to hire everyone currently integral to the team full time for the next 6-12 months. Further funding is probably what will allow them to hire additional people full time.

edit: Was checking when they expected to finish... December 2013. Wow. Yeah, 150k isn't going to go very far for 18 months of game development.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 6, 2012

posting smiling
Jun 22, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

You obviously haven't played The Walking Dead :colbert:

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

I thought I should present one small bit of Brian Mitsoda's writing credentials.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Classicist posted:

You obviously haven't played The Walking Dead :colbert:

You're right, I haven't! People keep recommending it to me, though. Maybe it'll go on sale during the Steam summer sale.

Shmitty
Oct 21, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

You're right, I haven't! People keep recommending it to me, though. Maybe it'll go on sale during the Steam summer sale.

The first episode is five dollars. Don't wait that long. And you all might ease up on the King's Quest talk. The Two Guys Spaceventure has literally nothing to do with it and definitely seems worth throwing money at.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Saoshyant posted:

However, Space Quest needs you. Their Kickstarter is six days short of ending and they still need $165.000. It's a lot of money, but if we all get together with the Power of Friendship we'll do it.
I threw in some, good luck to them!

When do we get a kickstart of M.U.L.E.? Oh wait, the original author is dead. :(

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004

NINbuntu 64 posted:

They had bad music...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69M2iiI__XQ :colbert:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

fondue posted:

I threw in some, good luck to them!

When do we get a kickstart of M.U.L.E.? Oh wait, the original author is dead. :(

There's already Planet M.U.L.E..

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
drat you thread, backed Dead State (I'm totally hipster with this because I knew it long before the kickstarter campaign) and Carmageddon. So many memories of playing Carma, can't wait for this.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel
Everybody should check out this sandbox/RPG roguelike thing with the most fantastic world generation and most beautiful ASCII graphics I've ever seen. It's called Cult. I found out about it a couple of years ago while browsing the Bay12 forums for some reason and then pretty much forgot about it. I decided to google it today and bloody hell he started a kickstarter today or yesterday! It looks fantastic and I'm gonna give him $10 :3:

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

Tufty posted:

Everybody should check out this sandbox/RPG roguelike thing with the most fantastic world generation and most beautiful ASCII graphics I've ever seen. It's called Cult. I found out about it a couple of years ago while browsing the Bay12 forums for some reason and then pretty much forgot about it. I decided to google it today and bloody hell he started a kickstarter today or yesterday! It looks fantastic and I'm gonna give him $10 :3:

This is pretty good, hope he gets the funding he needs ... wish he asked for more though. 5k is pretty small for what he's trying to accomplish (but hey, maybe he works really quickly)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Tufty posted:

You should up your donation by five bucks because if you buy the alpha you will have to pay again to upgrade it to the full version when it comes out. I think that's fuckin insane so I'm not going to get in on this, but maybe it will be neat.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Al! posted:

You should up your donation by five bucks because if you buy the alpha you will have to pay again to upgrade it to the full version when it comes out. I think that's fuckin insane so I'm not going to get in on this, but maybe it will be neat.

Yeah, $20 for a rogue-like, and then he forces you to buy more if you buy in at alpha, I don't think he will make goal honestly, but I could be wrong of course.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

LumberingTroll posted:

Yeah, $20 for a rogue-like, and then he forces you to buy more if you buy in at alpha, I don't think he will make goal honestly, but I could be wrong of course.

It reminds me of UnReal World, the survival roguelike. You can buy the exact current version for 3 dollars (3.13). You can buy the current version plus any bugfixes that come out for the current version for 5 dollars (3.14 3.15). And you can get every update for 40 bucks. Consequently, I am never going to buy UnReal world.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

LumberingTroll posted:

In the description it says that if you only buy the alpha and then want to upgrade to the full version later, it's only going to charge you the difference between the two prices.

So you can pay ten bucks now to only get access to the alpha to see if you like the game, then pay another ten later to get the full version, or just pay 15 bucks for the full version now and save five bucks overall.

I don't think that's unreasonable.

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

I donated $35 to Cult because I want to be a mean monster in game basically, but I do agree that $20 to the public at large for an indie procedural roguelike is going to be a tough sell if/when they get that far. But good luck to them anyway because I think if they can accomplish everything in their dev plan it's going to be a cool game.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

In the description it says that if you only buy the alpha and then want to upgrade to the full version later, it's only going to charge you the difference between the two prices.

So you can pay ten bucks now to only get access to the alpha to see if you like the game, then pay another ten later to get the full version, or just pay 15 bucks for the full version now and save five bucks overall.

I don't think that's unreasonable.

I guess it depends on your point of view, I am selling full access to Kinetic Void for $10
http://www.kineticvoid.com/pre-order

The tiers there are the same that we ran on our Kickstarter.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I do think it's kind of lovely to charge money for the broken version but then hey if you want the real thing. Isn't the point of alpha funding that you're rewarding early adopters for funding you while your project is small and helping iron the bugs out, not punishing them for not giving you enough money?

edit:
VVVV Isn't that just paying for an incomplete demo, then?

Al! fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 6, 2012

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Al! posted:

I do think it's kind of lovely to charge money for the broken version but then hey if you want the real thing. Isn't the point of alpha funding that you're rewarding early adopters for funding you while your project is small and helping iron the bugs out, not punishing them for not giving you enough money?

I guess it just depends on how you look at it. You view at like that, I'm looking at it as "It's gonna be $20 for the full game but you can get it for $15 now. If you don't want to pay $15 you can pay $10 instead and try out the alpha. If you then like the alpha you can pay an extra $5 to upgrade yourself to the discounted full game price".

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joylabs/makey-makey-an-invention-kit-for-everyone?ref=discover_pop
You can play games with your food, cat, anything. You clip on objects to act as the input. It is fully funded.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I was going to talk about how cool Cult looked, and then I saw Scalding Coffee's link. Wow. The MaKey MaKey seems like the modern equivalent of the chemistry set, in the good way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Dead State got plugged twice in a row on RPS, and is up $46,500ish in their first 24 hours. Pretty impressive, I wonder how much they'll shatter their goal by.