Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Some dumb idiot posted:

Considering this is the first I've ever heard about this game (I'm not paying much attention to E3) that trailer has got me all kinds of hyped up.

Although I get the feeling that every time I have to use the Traffic light control thing I'll have to go out of my way to rescue all civilians as quickly as I can before I start shooting back or else I'll feel like a massive jerk to let all these virtual innocents be killed in a firefight.

I was disturbed by the begging and pleading guy from the demo. Not going to play the game if I have to slaughter innocents that cry when their loved ones get shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

the black husserl posted:

I was disturbed by the begging and pleading guy from the demo. Not going to play the game if I have to slaughter innocents that cry when their loved ones get shot.
I don't think you have to. I mean if you just wait until the car shows up at the art show you can shoot him there, I imagine.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Because you'd prefer be able to kill innocents indiscriminately like every other game? Actual moral consequences based on your emotional reaction rather than how much of the bad guy meter you want to fill is awesome.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Al! posted:

Because you'd prefer be able to kill innocents indiscriminately like every other game?

No Im okay with shooting a imp/nazi in doom but if the NPCs are going to go "noo....please...oh god....answer me..." when their digital friends die, I'm going to think twice about killing them. If the game makes me kill them, I'm going to be too freaked out to play.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I don't think you have to. I mean if you just wait until the car shows up at the art show you can shoot him there, I imagine.

Then this game will be amazing and the Non-Murder-Simulator I have been waiting for!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

No Im okay with shooting a imp/nazi in doom but if the NPCs are going to go "noo....please...oh god....answer me..." when their digital friends. I'm going to think twice about killing them. If the game makes me kill them, I'm going to be too freaked out to play.

Then this game will be amazing and the Non-Murder-Simulator I have been waiting for!
Well it looks like you are going to have to kill people, just not everyone.

Interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suj8Ukbl6zY

Details: single player, player character has been "hurt," he can hack into stuff (NO REALLY?!)

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

No Im okay with shooting a imp/nazi in doom but if the NPCs are going to go "noo....please...oh god....answer me..." when their digital friends die, I'm going to think twice about killing them. If the game makes me kill them, I'm going to be too freaked out to play.
I remember when the bad guys in Rise of the Triad begged for mercy and then got up and shot you again if you let them go.

Never again...

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Dogg if you cause a bunch of digital cars to virtually crash into each-other you are a cyber monster and deserve to be robotreated as such.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

To be fair, the player character clearly did not shoot the person in that car. One of the people firing at your position did.

Which means you're a horrible monster for using a car with an innocent, loving couple that have been married for 30+ years as cover, you bastard.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

-Dethstryk- posted:

To be fair, the player character clearly did not shoot the person in that car. One of the people firing at your position did.

Which means you're a horrible monster for using a car with an innocent, loving couple that have been married for 30+ years as cover, you bastard.

Well the player character did cause that entire scene that definitely killed a number of innocents just with the crash itself.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Personally I'm just getting a little tired of solving my problems through cool looking violence in video games, and I was kinda hoping you'd use your cool hacking abilities to solve all your problems instead of just whipping out a nightstick or gun and making with the hurt. Bunch of guards coming? gently caress with their headsets so they blast out a paralyzing burst of sound or something.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

I'm going to call it and say that the next next CoD game will let you stealth kill Arabs as they do their daily prayers.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
I have heard that there was a much more subtle solution there along the lines of catching him in the parking lot. It's a pity public demos are always "RAARGH KILL loving EVERYONE AHAHAHAH!!!1", isn't it?

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Thundercracker posted:

I'm going to call it and say that the next next CoD game will let you stealth kill Arabs as they do their daily prayers.

After the torturefest Splinter Cell Demo and rape QTE tomb raider, I don't think this is hyperbole.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Thundercracker posted:

Maybe not CoD but Sam Fisher is already ripping the throats out of unarmed Doctors Without Borders volunteers because they dared to speak Arabic and treat a wounded guy.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Al! posted:

Maybe not CoD but Sam Fisher is already ripping the throats out of unarmed Doctors Without Borders volunteers because they dared to speak Arabic and treat a wounded guy.

Holy poo poo, is this for real? I mean, I was actually joking. Jeezy Chreezy

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

keyframe posted:

So talking more to the play tester friend:

-The car crash was NOT scripted

-There are multiple ways to do objectives. (In an interview yesterday ubi said you could have ambushed the guy at the car park instead of causing the car crash and many more ways)

-Your guy gains new abilities as the game goes on

-You can be an rear end in a top hat walking around hacking stuff causing mayhem for poor npc's

:allears:

You could actually see the objective car traveling down the road via the map. I'd imagine that you could possibly even keep the street lights red and just walk over and confront him there, perhaps, among other ways.

Tell your playtester friend he's awesome for sharing the details.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Thundercracker posted:

I'm pretty sure he's joking. Right? :stare:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Al! posted:

One of the Ubisoft producers described Sam Fischer as "a hero for our times" and he's absolutely right: Sam Fischer has become a morally bankrupt, imperialistic piece of poo poo.

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008
Trailer was all kinds of awesome, sorta like Hitman: the hacker.

My honest worry is that it's going to suffer under Asssassin's Creed 2 syndrome: You got whole goddamn ANCIENT ITALIAN CITIES modelled, with people in it and such, just so you could... climb some roofs and have some swordfights in a game made for 10-year olds. I almost cried because such a waste of so much work, because there is no end in ways you could have loads more awesome games made if you have so complete and exciting setting.

Also, submenus in submenus in menus. AC went really too far adding non-important poo poo into gameplay: How many players actually used bombs, guns and such? I'm afraid that if you're in a car chase, remembering to fiddle with bridges is the last thing in your mind. You do in once in a tutorial, and forget for the rest of the game.

Let's hope they figured their problems out by now.

Woohoo fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 6, 2012

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Thundercracker posted:

No. I've watched that clip so many times, and while it's brutal, people are adding in their own narrative because there isn't enough context to tell you any of this poo poo.

He just comes in with a wounded guy as an opening to get into position. Who knows who the people were.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

I thought that was sort of... well, neat. There's potential there to insinuate how far gone your character is by showing the consequences of your actions in terms of human life and giving you an ingame choice to react to them. Although that could get hilarious quick, ala GTA, if you're blowing up gas mains & killing entire crowds of bystanders just to take out one target, then in cut scenes you pull a "Sam please. He had a family." whenever NPCs show disregard for human life.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

-Dethstryk- posted:

No. I've watched that clip so many times, and while it's brutal, people are adding in their own narrative because there isn't enough context to tell you any of this poo poo.

He just comes in with a wounded guy as an opening to get into position. Who knows who the people were.

I'm sure that in the narrative of the game they're evil Mohammedans who were just about to blow up New York with a dirty nuclear anthrax bomb. But since, like you said, there isn't enough context I'm just going to assume that it's the more realistic scenario.

Which is why I like what this game is showing. You shoot a civilian and you look like a monster.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
It looks like it'll be fun and if it's as good as assassin's creed two I'm happy. I would have preferred less gun combat, that crash should have killed or deathly injured the body guards too.

I will say on all those cool "hacker powers" will most likely have to be gained just like in the AC series. You'll probably start out with just one or two powers and earn through mission/level up to get more abilities. Which means no control train power to start with I'll wager. Hopefully I'm wrong.

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 6, 2012

KungfooMF
Feb 21, 2002

So it sounds like you could have stayed at the party and waited on the guy. Maybe hide in the bathroom or something. I wonder how far the AI goes. Does the mark come into the party and mingle? Does he stay in the car? If he stays in the car, can you hop in and kidnap him? I need to know these things!

This game looks like it has so much promise. Unfortunately for the devs this means they have no chance in HELL of coming anywhere near a success with this game because we all expect to be able to do things we won't be able to do. :(

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

-Dethstryk- posted:

That digital couple was only married for a couple minutes at most. But they were married the second their were spawned into that pixelated hell. But of course they will be respawned in again later. Such is life of a NPC in an open world game.

So it's ok everyone, everyone is ok. The NPCs will be reincarnated later. But if that is still scary, save right before hand and you can go back and not do the mission. This way you can meet them and get to know them or whatever.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Shadowlz posted:

That digital couple was only married for a couple minutes at most. But they were married the second their were spawned into that pixelated hell. But of course they will be respawned in again later. Such is life of a NPC in an open world game.

So it's ok everyone, everyone is ok. The NPCs will be reincarnated later. But if that is still scary, save right before hand and you can go back and not do the mission. This way you can meet them and get to know them or whatever.

Fun fact: They're actually the couple from Facade, so it is probably a mercy killing.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Woohoo posted:

Also, submenus in submenus in menus. AC went really too far adding non-important poo poo into gameplay: How many players actually used bombs, guns and such?

The bombs in Revelations were actually really useful if you actually took the time to make and use them.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

I hope you can throw money on the ground because that seems like it would be way better in a game with cars.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Well it looks like you are going to have to kill people, just not everyone.

Interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suj8Ukbl6zY

Details: single player, player character has been "hurt," he can hack into stuff (NO REALLY?!)

Okay possibly fighting other (player or comp) hackers where you're both controlling trains and turning traffic lights off and changing bridges and stuff is really cool.

I think it still needs a little more though, but I'm not sure what.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Okay possibly fighting other (player or comp) hackers where you're both controlling trains and turning traffic lights off and changing bridges and stuff is really cool.

Can I finally live out my dream of battling Angelina Jolie over what to watch on late night public access?

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Saint Freak posted:

Can I finally live out my dream of battling Angelina Jolie over what to watch on late night public access?

On every television in Chicago, yes.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Remote controlling downtown Segue tours. I'd love to send a swarm of fat/old people slowly after my enemies.

Mistress Khary
Jan 27, 2005

And if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
I've been hearing about this game for over a year (my husband is one of the writers), so I was super excited to finally SEE it. It looked awesome!

Mr. Stingly
Sep 1, 2001

Satanic cop-killing henchman with a heart of gold
Nobody pointed out the car icon in the hacking menu wheel. Because at the end of the demo he jumps into a car and starts it without hacking or anything, I'm wondering if that means you can remote control something like a near-future Google Car.

But then again every car in the demo clearly has a driver, so that's kind of wishful thinking on my part.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Mr. Stingly posted:

Nobody pointed out the car icon in the hacking menu wheel. Because at the end of the demo he jumps into a car and starts it without hacking or anything, I'm wondering if that means you can remote control something like a near-future Google Car.

But then again every car in the demo clearly has a driver, so that's kind of wishful thinking on my part.

Clearly it's for hacking their Event data recorder so that when you crash their car at the lights, they have to pay a ton in insurance.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Mistress Khary posted:

I've been hearing about this game for over a year (my husband is one of the writers), so I was super excited to finally SEE it. It looked awesome!

Can you ask him for details please??? Perhaps a very tentative release window?

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008

Young Freud posted:

Edit: about the game on hand, I hadn't considered that it was pre-rendered gameplay, but I figured it was setpiece sandbox like like Mass Effect and Alpha Protocol.

If it's anything like Alpha Protocol, Ubisoft can make me pay twice and still get a sale.
If it's anything like Mass Effect, Ubisoft should look into making their DRM even more anal.
Those two games do not belong into same sentence.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
I want Kinect functionality in this game. Hear me out. You can hack into big rear end advertising screens, right? All I am saying, I would laugh like a loving mad man if they let me put whatever I want on those screens, as the crowd reels back from confusions/horror.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Thundercracker posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4KO2eQeLJ8

The first minute here.

I am seriously disturbed by this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

Crappy Jack posted:

Personally I'm just getting a little tired of solving my problems through cool looking violence in video games, and I was kinda hoping you'd use your cool hacking abilities to solve all your problems instead of just whipping out a nightstick or gun and making with the hurt. Bunch of guards coming? gently caress with their headsets so they blast out a paralyzing burst of sound or something.

Um yes but do you know how many copies that game would sell? Three copies: you, me and the lead developer's mother.

Joking aside a lot of people feel like this but we are vastly, vastly outnumbered and we need to learn not to get our hopes up ever. The only way the mainstream games industry is going to move away from manshootin' is if every male under 23 suddenly drops dead.

• Locked thread