Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Glimm posted:

I assumed he meant he had specific readers in mind that do cost money.

Also yeah those memory issues aren't normal. If you're running low on memory Android should be killing background apps for you.
Sounds like he thought he'd have to re buy the media itself from within an app. Which isn't the case as already said.

"I like that I can watch my old videos and read comics on it without having to re-buy them on an application, like I would have to from an iPad,"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

randyest posted:

Sounds like he thought he'd have to re buy the media itself from within an app. Which isn't the case as already said.

"I like that I can watch my old videos and read comics on it without having to re-buy them on an application, like I would have to from an iPad,"

Yeah so I assumed wrong / have an inability to comprehend words.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
I haven't really been following this thread so I apologise if this is discussed a lot.

I'm in the tablet market again. I used to own a TF101 but recently sold it and haven't been following tablets since then. Is it a good time to buy right now? I'm not in a huge rush, I just need one by around July/August and am looking at spending in the $400 range. The only requirement is being able to playback HD content which the TF101 had some issues with.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

If you want another 10" tablet it's a decent time to buy, there are a few nice Tegra 3 (can play HD content) choices. Examples include Acer A510, Asus TF201, and Asus TF300T.

Reasons to wait: you want a high-res (1080p) screen, you want a 7" tablet instead of a 10".

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Rastor posted:

If you want another 10" tablet it's a decent time to buy, there are a few nice Tegra 3 (can play HD content) choices. Examples include Acer A510, Asus TF201, and Asus TF300T.

Reasons to wait: you want a high-res (1080p) screen, you want a 7" tablet instead of a 10".

I remember reading about an Asus TF701 earlier in the year, is that the 1080p screen you're talking about?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Most likely. Those product names/prices haven't been officially announced, and the announcements this week of Windows 8 / Windows RT tablets from the same manufacturers only complicate matters, but it sounds so far like Acer's 1080p tablet will be the A700, possibly released this month, and Asus's will be the TF700, possibly released in July.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
What I meant, is that I've bought some Comixology comics and I wouldn't want to have to re-buy them, because that seems like the kind of things I've had to put up with on Apple products before. Pre iCloud was awful times, where I ended up buying a copy of an album twice (The second time was a hard copy), just because customer service wouldn't let me re-download it.

So what should I do to fix these memory problems on my Galaxy Tab 2? Should I go ahead and reset to factory default and start fresh? Should I root it and try and remove all the shovelware?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Flameingblack posted:

What I meant, is that I've bought some Comixology comics and I wouldn't want to have to re-buy them, because that seems like the kind of things I've had to put up with on Apple products before. Pre iCloud was awful times, where I ended up buying a copy of an album twice (The second time was a hard copy), just because customer service wouldn't let me re-download it.

So what should I do to fix these memory problems on my Galaxy Tab 2? Should I go ahead and reset to factory default and start fresh? Should I root it and try and remove all the shovelware?

I don't know what Comixology's policy is regarding device limit or if there even is one, but if it's like the eBook marketplaces (Kindle, Nook, etc) you just remove the Samsung device and login with a new one and all your purchased stuff is there.

All iTunes music from the past few years is DRM-free, all video (TV Shows and Movies) have DRM that won't play on any Android device. The two popular digital music stores for Android (Google and Amazon) have cloud music locker services and automatically host your purchases there so that you don't have to have the files on your device anyhow. If you want them there it's probably best to download your library to a PC and copy the files to the device from there.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Alleged-press-image-drafts-for-the-Google-Nexus-tablet-emerge-to-sport-Android-4.1_id30947

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

God I hope it doesn't look like that.

It's like a giant phone that suspiciously looks like the Samsung Galaxy S III or something. It also seems to have the weird bezel curve that the iPod touch 4th Generation has which makes it hard to press the volume buttons.

Honestly, I don't know if I believe it's real considering all of that... Or maybe ASUS just forgot how to make tablets and decided to "borrow" from Apple and Samsung for the looks.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Is it a pad or is it a phone?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

God I hope it doesn't look like that.
It doesn't seem likely.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

This is good news. It looked WAY too similar to an SGS III.

Am I the only one who doesn't like that two-toned back? Don't they have the same thing on the TF300?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
They did a great job at hiding those numbers...

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

Or maybe ASUS just forgot how to make tablets and decided to "borrow" from Apple and Samsung for the looks.

Google has a heavy hand in the industrial design of their lead devices, so it's not surprising to see similar design cues even across different OEMS.

Assuming it's legit/the press render is accurate, at least the power button isn't on the back like the Xoom.

The similarity to the GIII isn't definitive proof against it since the hardware design of the Galaxy S3 is heavily based on the Galaxy Nexus:

So you could just as easily argue that the similar speaker, front camera, sensor arrangement etc is evidence for it being legit since it shows a consistent Google design language.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

There's no 100% proof either way, but I'm personally calling faked on this one.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Why is no one questioning why this has the speaker hole of a phone?

This looks exactly like a Galaxy Note with the "SAMSUNG" photoshopped out.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Kazy posted:

Actually, people already questioned it.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

A single speaker on a tablet is dumb and I hope that fad stops

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

lamentable dustman posted:

A single speaker on a tablet is dumb and I hope that fad stops
Do you mean for "stereo" purpose? If so, is it possible to get any real separation on a 7" or even 10" tablet? Maybe the close "listening distance" makes that possible (I'm honestly curious and don't know.) if not, and you mean for loudness reasons (which I think is a mildly annoying issue on pretty much every tablet) -- is multiple speakers better than one bigger one for loudness / space used? Again, I don't know and am asking in case you or someone else does.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Kazy posted:

I dont think anyone would put it past Asus to make a 7" phone.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

randyest posted:

Do you mean for "stereo" purpose? If so, is it possible to get any real separation on a 7" or even 10" tablet? Maybe the close "listening distance" makes that possible (I'm honestly curious and don't know.) if not, and you mean for loudness reasons (which I think is a mildly annoying issue on pretty much every tablet) -- is multiple speakers better than one bigger one for loudness / space used? Again, I don't know and am asking in case you or someone else does.

I think the Blackberry Playbook had stereo speakers. I don't know if they sounded any good though.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
Looks like Acer is going to release a $199 tablet:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/6/3067386/acer-iconia-tab-quad-core-tablet-price

THE INTERNET posted:

Android's had a quiet showing here at Computex Taipei, but Acer just snuck out a new product that could well represent a breakthrough for the platform at large. The Iconia Tab A110 is at the company's booth without much fanfare, and on the face of it isn't particularly interesting — a 7-inch tablet with Android 4.0 that's powered by an Nvidia Tegra 3 processor. However, we spoke to an Acer representative who said that the A110 would be positioned as the company's main low-end device when it's released in the third quarter of the year, and that it will cost less than $200. If true, the aggressive pricing means it could well be the first beneficiary of Nvidia's $199 Kai program, though the representative wasn't able to comment on this.

We've heard a lot of rumors about inexpensive Tegra 3 tablets since first laying eyes on Asus's Eee pad MeMO ME370T at CES, not least the one about a Google Nexus device in the same price and specification range as this new Acer device. After using the A110 for a while, we'd say that you'd certainly get value for your money — its Ice Cream Sandwich skin is almost free of customization besides the green shortcuts dot next to the on-screen buttons, and it performed pretty well in a Quadrant benchmark with a score just short of the Asus Transformer Prime. It's a little thick at 11.4mm, and the screen's viewing angles aren't so impressive, but next to a Kindle Fire at the same price point we know which one we'd choose.

Next to the A110 at Acer's booth was the Iconia Tab A210, a similarly-specced and skinned device with a 10.1-inch 1280 x 800 screen. It looks like it'll be released at around the same time as the A110, though it'll likely be more expensive. Both tablets feature 1GB RAM, a single front-facing camera, and a microSD card slot. The A210 has a full-sized USB port and the option for 3G connectivity, while the A110 gains an HDMI socket with dual-display support.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Kazy posted:

Looking at the two, the Note's speaker grill is a little further away from the screen, the shape and positioning of the sensors is a little different, and the bottom corners of the (supposed) tablets screen seem a little closer to the curve. The tablet also has a slight skew about it, whereas the Note is a little more rectangular.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Install Gentoo posted:

The Tegra 3 is far from being the fastest ARM chip around. These fastest ARM chips are all stuff that doesn't see production use, primarily due to the fact that need a lot of power for raw speed. The Tegra 3's performance barely even approaches a single core Atom processor, let alone a 6 year old Core Duo or 5 year old Core 2 Duo.

No ARM chip in mass production for current products is even close to the performance of mainstream x86 processors from over 6 years ago.

No, I get that ARM processors aren't powerful computationally. I'm calling your power consumption assertions into question. The math doesn't work out.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Kynetx posted:

No, I get that ARM processors aren't powerful computationally. I'm calling your power consumption assertions into question. The math doesn't work out.

you know how he said the most powerful ARM chips aren't used in production models? The same is true for the most power hungry ones (since they're mostly the same chips). This isn't talking about the tegra 3 so stop using it as your example.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Vagrancy posted:

Looking at the two, the Note's speaker grill is a little further away from the screen, the shape and positioning of the sensors is a little different, and the bottom corners of the (supposed) tablets screen seem a little closer to the curve. The tablet also has a slight skew about it, whereas the Note is a little more rectangular.

Not from this distance, your honor.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

El Duke Silver posted:

you know how he said the most powerful ARM chips aren't used in production models? The same is true for the most power hungry ones (since they're mostly the same chips). This isn't talking about the tegra 3 so stop using it as your example.

Fair enough, but what's the application for these mystery chips? Are we talking about prototypes, or DSP logic or something else? I can't understand the idea of producing something so wasteful.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It's a rectangular device with rounded corners & a rectangular screen,
a: it's a piece of piss to photoshop,
b: what the gently caress do you expect it to look like?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
They might as well add a third screen so you can play Battleship the game while watching Battleship the movie.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.
So over the last few days, I'd been experiencing a lot of random reboots on my TF300 when browsing the web, with no real indication of any other problems. I'd just be browsing along, the browser would freeze, and then bam, Asus logo.

Well, after a few days of troubleshooting, I finally tried disabling the Asus PC Sync under sync options in settings, and I haven't had a single crash since then. So if anyone else is experiencing the same kind of issues, give it a try.

No idea if the same thing would apply to the TF101 or Prime, though.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.androidauthority.com/asus-google-tablet-confirmed-at-t-padfone-pad-infinity-tf700-93742/

Looks like ASUS confirmed that they are working on the Google Nexus tablet. They didn't say a price but they did say it will release around the end of this month.

They also said it "would be awesome".

I'm guessing it'll launch right after Google I/O 2012.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.androidauthority.com/asus-google-tablet-confirmed-at-t-padfone-pad-infinity-tf700-93742/

Looks like ASUS confirmed that they are working on the Google Nexus tablet. They didn't say a price but they did say it will release around the end of this month.

They also said it "would be awesome".

I'm guessing it'll launch right after Google I/O 2012.

I'm guessing they will hand them out to I/O attendees. Given the thousand dollar event ticket I figure Google will give out something sweet.
It'll probably be available via the Google store too. I just wish Samsung would come out and give some solid info on the Note 10.1. I'm really interested on that. But if the nexus 7 is really two hundred bucks then its not unreasonable for me to buy it anyways and wait a month for the Note. I'll just set up the Nexus as a HTPC remote and leave it in my living room. At that price its still a ton cheaper that any other RF universal remote out there.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I just wish Samsung would come out and give some solid info on the Note 10.1.

World's largest smartphone tablet?

What's the name of that 18-inch dual-booting tablet that is supposed to be coming out? I think I'm the only person that is really interested in it. I rarely take my TF101 anywhere so having a laptop sized touchscreen device that can run Android AND Windows seems to be perfect for me, if it doesn't suck. I'm not getting my hopes too high on it not sucking though.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Vykk.Draygo posted:

World's largest smartphone tablet?

What's the name of that 18-inch dual-booting tablet that is supposed to be coming out? I think I'm the only person that is really interested in it. I rarely take my TF101 anywhere so having a laptop sized touchscreen device that can run Android AND Windows seems to be perfect for me, if it doesn't suck. I'm not getting my hopes too high on it not sucking though.

ASUS AIO (All in One).

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
FYI, red and white TF300s are showing up (as out of stock) on BestBuy.com.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Vagrancy posted:

ASUS AIO (All in One).

Asus Transformer AIO (they have a whole line of AIO products). I mistakenly thought it had a keyboard dock like the rest of the transformer series. This doesn't do me much good as I still need a laptop form factor. Is it too much to ask that it have an optional full size keyboard dock with numpad?

revolther
May 27, 2008
Not trying to go totally off-topic, it's a new use of Android OS(to me), but saw this on Newegg the other day, whilst searching for networked HDD's and can't help but think it's a little brilliant. Reviews say ICS firmware is already available, 3x USB 2.0, hdmi out up to 1080p, all sorts of normal video codecs supported, HTML5 & Flash10 support through Chrome/Dolphin HD, PlayMarket out the box with reports of just about equal app parity as other android devices.

I know some 2.3/3/4+ android devices with mini-hdmi out ports support this already, like the photon(nexus?), but I love the idea of folks connecting their tabs/phones to a tv to replace desktop PC's, and now you could just use your device with popular android vnc apps as the wifi remote.

Almost makes me think Apple will be trying to do something similar to save the idea of AppleTV. Could be the right time with HD sets pretty well entrenched in the market as compared to a few years ago, and a decent way to replace a parents old computer and tiny monitor on the cheap for Father's Day.

Bonxai
May 2, 2011
To continue from revolther's Android accessory post, I just saw this on Kotaku: http://kotaku.com/5917778/a-controller-solution-that-strikes-at-the-very-core-of-android-tablet-gaming

If the price is right it could be a nice accessory to have. Although can't you already use real console controllers with tablets? Or are they not as universally accepted as this seems to be? I mean this controller can be used to make custom button mappings for games that don't support it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

revolther posted:

Not trying to go totally off-topic, it's a new use of Android OS(to me), but saw this on Newegg the other day, whilst searching for networked HDD's and can't help but think it's a little brilliant. Reviews say ICS firmware is already available, 3x USB 2.0, hdmi out up to 1080p, all sorts of normal video codecs supported, HTML5 & Flash10 support through Chrome/Dolphin HD, PlayMarket out the box with reports of just about equal app parity as other android devices.

I know some 2.3/3/4+ android devices with mini-hdmi out ports support this already, like the photon(nexus?), but I love the idea of folks connecting their tabs/phones to a tv to replace desktop PC's, and now you could just use your device with popular android vnc apps as the wifi remote.

Almost makes me think Apple will be trying to do something similar to save the idea of AppleTV. Could be the right time with HD sets pretty well entrenched in the market as compared to a few years ago, and a decent way to replace a parents old computer and tiny monitor on the cheap for Father's Day.
Unless I'm mistaken, what you're asking for is already doable with Apple TV.