Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Thundarr posted:

Is it bad that I the first thing I noticed about Sharla's jungle outfit is that her hairdo is pretty great?

Sharla's not the only one who gets a different hairdo with that. Dundun gets a ponytail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
I think something went wrong at Colony 9 for me. Jan won't give me "The Old Soldier's Test" quest or whatever and Betty won't give me the quest to give a present to Desiree. I also don't have to achievement for talking to all the soldiers somehow, though I don't know if it's just talking to them or actually establishing some sort of relationship with all of them.

I'm much further into the game than those quests, as my characters are level 69. The only quest I haven't completed is the one with Paola and Narine about having two girls with really high affinity. I'm also pretty sure I talked to everyone to try to get stuff going that way (I made a drat checklist) and the quests still didn't open up. No idea what's up with it :(

Oh amd I'm at four star affinity.

Cuatal fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 7, 2012

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think you have to talk to Jan/Minnie first and then talk to Dionysis. Make sure you answer it correctly though

And yeah the high affinity one really sucks but if you've been hoarding all the collectibles (as you should) just gift them between the two (use the spreadsheet for this as well), sprinkle in some combat and it really shouldn't be much of an issue. You need the purple affinity too, the one before pink

and I'm sure this has been said plenty of times but if you're trying to get shulks 4th skill tree you have to be between 4-5 stars for desiree's quest to appear so the last couple of quests are kinda essential.

bef fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 7, 2012

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

haha Why did it take 20~ hours to introduce the main character? Riki owns. Changing the language to Japanese makes him even better.

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to recruit people for colony 6. I built houses to live in and I have empty stalls where he can work. This guy says he wants to open a store. He says nobody will let him cook. I will let you cook, little guy! Why can't I recruit him?

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 7, 2012

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Krinkle posted:

haha Why did it take 20~ hours to introduce the main character? Riki owns. Changing the language to Japanese makes him even better.

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to recruit people for colony 6. I built houses to live in and I have empty stalls where he can work. This guy says he wants to open a store. He says nobody will let him cook. I will let you cook, little guy! Why can't I recruit him?

You need to keep developing Colony 6. Having everything at level 2 will help you recruit the tiniest, angriest chef in the world, but an awful lot of immigrants need level 5 in everything to be convinced.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Working through the endgame now, and just beat that level 108 bunny UM while I wasn't even at 99 with any of my party.

The insane UMs at the endgame are bullshit, but I really didn't expect anything less. That one on the Fallen Arm, though, holy poo poo. What do you mean, one of my teammates is (nearly) dead as soon as it spots me? And spike damage over 1k? Wow.

Some other things I've noticed in my game:

- Sharla's Art Books drop at a much higher rate than everyone else's. Shulk has two advanced skills (not counting Monado) and Seven has only four, but Sharla has almost a dozen. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I never put her on point?

- Leveling Monado Purge to at least 6 as soon as you can will take care of most Spike enemies, because that's about how much time it takes to refill Shulk's Talent Gauge.

- Up until 70-something I was having trouble taking down enemies that were even 1 level above me, but once I got to the low 80s I was steamrolling everything in my path. That, and taking care of the rest of the sidequests I had made the EXP pour in.

Of course that was nothing compared to seeing six-figure EXP totals crop up from the UMs I was killing :stare:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Thundarr posted:

Is it bad that I the first thing I noticed about Sharla's jungle outfit is that her hairdo is pretty great?

No way, man. That style looks great.

Personally, what bugs me more than the always-gratuitous cleavage on Sharla, is that most of her equipment, except for the default stuff, looks incredibly uncomfortable to actually wear. Same with pretty much all heavy armor on everyone.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Thundarr posted:

Wouldn't know, I'm just past there and still using that godawful helmet that adds a bunch to her ether.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I'm making riki go hatless because to cover up that mane is a crime

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Krinkle posted:

I'm making riki go hatless because to cover up that mane is a crime

Something tells me you've never equipped him with one of the oil/swimsuit helmets.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
What are some good ways to spec Riki? I know that his best abilities are his DoT powers like Lurgy and Burninate, but I don't have enough Blaze/Poison/Bleed/etc. Plus gems to make that a really viable strategy right now. And being in Sword Valley I have to use his Anti-Mechon weapon, which only has one gem slot for those types of gems :negative:. His melee damage output isn't that great either, but I've got Strength Up gems to spare.

Should I farm for crystals that promote those DoT effects? Give him a weapon with more gem slots, even though it won't hurt Mechon? Go back to some recent areas and sidequest, hoping for those kinds of gems as rewards?

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Manoueverable posted:

The insane UMs at the endgame are bullshit, but I really didn't expect anything less. That one on the Fallen Arm, though, holy poo poo. What do you mean, one of my teammates is (nearly) dead as soon as it spots me? And spike damage over 1k? Wow.

One of the only strategies for beating the other ultimate monsters involves farming this guy for a rare crystal drop, so uh good luck.

v
I figured as much after remembering what crystal it dropped.

Perfect Potato fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 8, 2012

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Perfect Potato posted:

One of the strategies for beating the other ultimate monsters involves farming this guy for a rare crystal drop, so uh good luck.

He dropped it every time for me, so it wasn't too bad. I'm not sure how many viable strategies there are that don't require that gem though, unless you like whittling away at a level 120 monstrosity for hours of constant misses.

Splat
Aug 22, 2002

Thundarr posted:

He dropped it every time for me, so it wasn't too bad. I'm not sure how many viable strategies there are that don't require that gem though, unless you like whittling away at a level 120 monstrosity for hours of constant misses.

Er, I only used the level V gems you can trade for, plus agility VI's, and had no problem hitting the 120.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Is there any way to mute the voices during battle? I'm only an hour into the game and its already starting to annoy me.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Traxis posted:

Is there any way to mute the voices during battle? I'm only an hour into the game and its already starting to annoy me.

Nope, just change Reyn out as soon as you can to get away from his atrocious cockney accent, at the least disable bone upper. There is nothing you can do about it besides change it to japanese so it just kind of washes over you without letting you realize how inane it is, or go dead inside and not care what they say.

Or disable every skill and powerlevel fetch quests so you can auto-attack your way through every encounter.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
Just beat the final boss. Final hit was a max-chained Final Cross. Only took one blast of it to finish the fight and my total chain attack had done nearly 250k in damage. Can't even imagine what it might have hit with the full effect.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Krinkle posted:

Nope, just change Reyn out as soon as you can to get away from his atrocious cockney accent
Then how would you know when IT'S REYN TIME?

I'm sure it's come up in the six hundred or so posts I missed, but does anyone know how to get strong enough to handle the level 90-ish encounters in the post-game area in Tephra Cave? My guys are leveled to the mid-80s and I don't want to keep getting creamed :(

Also, where are theses level 100+ superbosses I keep hearing about?

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

sudonim posted:

Also, where are theses level 100+ superbosses I keep hearing about?

There are five, according to the spreadsheet:

Lv 100 on Valak Mountain (fight at night, flanked by two lv 99 monsters)
Lv 105 on Fallen Arm
Lv 108 in Satorl Marsh
Lv 114 on Valak Mountain (fight at night)
Lv 120 on Valak Mountain (fight at night in blizzard)

As far as leveling for that area goes, high-level monsters in Satorl Marsh or Eryth Sea should be about your level. You can use those and whatever quests you have left (especially the fifth skill tree quests) to get to 90 pretty quick.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Manoueverable posted:

As far as leveling for that area goes, high-level monsters in Satorl Marsh or Eryth Sea should be about your level. You can use those and whatever quests you have left (especially the fifth skill tree quests) to get to 90 pretty quick.

Also Alcamoth, which has monsters in the high 80s and up to about 90.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Draile posted:

Also Alcamoth, which has monsters in the high 80s and up to about 90.

Oh yeah, how could I forget my favorite grinding spot? :v:

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

C-Euro posted:

What are some good ways to spec Riki? I know that his best abilities are his DoT powers like Lurgy and Burninate, but I don't have enough Blaze/Poison/Bleed/etc. Plus gems to make that a really viable strategy right now. And being in Sword Valley I have to use his Anti-Mechon weapon, which only has one gem slot for those types of gems :negative:. His melee damage output isn't that great either, but I've got Strength Up gems to spare.

Should I farm for crystals that promote those DoT effects? Give him a weapon with more gem slots, even though it won't hurt Mechon? Go back to some recent areas and sidequest, hoping for those kinds of gems as rewards?

I would never use Riki for his auto-attack. It's only worthwhile to build up his Talent Gauge so you can steal. If I have Riki in the lead, most of the time I'm standing back to position Lurgy or the heal breath or finding the middle of a mob for Burninate, usually only closing to hit with bleed or sneaky.

You don't necessarily need to gem him specifically for his DoTs, but his melee output isn't all that worthwhile compared to his other talents. I typically spec him for defense/agility and spike; he's using a late-game unique weapon that has three different DoT plus gems in it.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I gave Riki a physical defense VI gem, a spike gem, then filled the rest with ether up gems; it makes the DoTs do a bit more damage. Freezinate is pretty good due to its short cooldown and you could use that as his 'basic' attack over autoattacking.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

Pyroclastic posted:

I would never use Riki for his auto-attack. It's only worthwhile to build up his Talent Gauge so you can steal.

If you give him a haste gem (faster autoattacks) and combined with the Talent Boost gem (autoattacks deal less damage but increase the gauge more) and the skill trees that give a chance for it to steal AP (and EXP), his autoattack suddenly becomes the best grinding tool in the game! You can get 50% of a monster's AP multiple times in a fight, you can get a large amount of AP in a short time.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Traxis posted:

If you dislike the banter during battle, this may not be the game for you.

They're one of the things that makes the game for me.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

"I don't have time for small fry!" well tough poo poo, Dunban, I'm doing quests and we're over leveled as poo poo.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Well, I'm at Sword Valley now and I give Clearly Evil Wolverine aka Mumkhar's death a solid 9.6. Boy, that scene was gratifying.

The boss fight was loving intense, too, even though my characters were all level 55. I deliberately gimped myself with a team of Shulk, Sharla, and Melia, so there were no dedicated tanks and everyone was getting slapped around like rag dolls for the whole match. At one point Sharla was the only one left alive and I had to watch her crawl, agonizingly, over to Shulk for a revival, taking blows the whole way; when she revived him she was at double-digit HP and immediately fired off a Heal round to patch us both up. Sharla kicks more rear end than any medic has a right to.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Pyroclastic posted:

I would never use Riki for his auto-attack. It's only worthwhile to build up his Talent Gauge so you can steal. If I have Riki in the lead, most of the time I'm standing back to position Lurgy or the heal breath or finding the middle of a mob for Burninate, usually only closing to hit with bleed or sneaky.

You don't necessarily need to gem him specifically for his DoTs, but his melee output isn't all that worthwhile compared to his other talents. I typically spec him for defense/agility and spike; he's using a late-game unique weapon that has three different DoT plus gems in it.

Poniard posted:

I gave Riki a physical defense VI gem, a spike gem, then filled the rest with ether up gems; it makes the DoTs do a bit more damage. Freezinate is pretty good due to its short cooldown and you could use that as his 'basic' attack over autoattacking.

Thanks, I didn't realize that Ether Ups would help his DoT output.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Unless something is completely flat-rate (like spike or regen), a higher-damaging weapon (even for ether arts) and either more strength or more ether, will get you bigger numbers. The damage formula, in a nutshell, is (weapon + strength-or-ether) * multiplier. When arts get beefier as you level them up, it's because you're increasing the multiplier.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I like picking up on the little callbacks to previous Xeno games.

I'm not sure that Mechonis Field was intentionally supposed to recall the Tower of Babel, but it does. At least, I get the same vibe.

I'm glad they managed to cut out the aggravating platforming in lieu of just a few precarious ledges, though...and an optional bit of coasting down a long incline which goes hilariously wrong if you make the mistake of jumping.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
I just got to the 5th town (according to the affinity chart) and I was wondering: is it ever explained how your team can fast-travel in and out of it? (I have gotten to the part where Dickson pops in to visit the village's head honcho, but that wasn't exactly instructive.) I thought I was going to be cut off from the world map for a while, but nope! Let's just fly back to colony 9.

I understand why its done for gameplay reasons, obviously, but it just surprised me.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

PFlats posted:

I just got to the 5th town (according to the affinity chart) and I was wondering: is it ever explained how your team can fast-travel in and out of it? (I have gotten to the part where Dickson pops in to visit the village's head honcho, but that wasn't exactly instructive.) I thought I was going to be cut off from the world map for a while, but nope! Let's just fly back to colony 9.

I understand why its done for gameplay reasons, obviously, but it just surprised me.

Well, one, you can apparently drop into water from any drat height, which means you could pretty much swan-dive clear off Alcamoth or something and still be fine. There's your explanation for how that guy got there!

Two, if you put it in perspective, that locale isn't actually too distant from Colony 9, being located on the foot of the Bionis. Guess you could just take a boat. Or swim. :v:

v Nopon secret travel technique. They have a monopoly on commerce on Bionis for a reason.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 10, 2012

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Also, how come the Nopon in Satori Marsh had the party do a complicated ritual and go through the Bonis's digestive system? They had to have another way to get from their village to the marsh, they couldn't have taken the Armu down that sheer wall near the statues even if they somehow opened the door. They must be real assholes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So I don't suppose anyone can give me a good setup for Seven that takes proper advantage of their insane speed while not making them look like the worst of Sailor Moon spliced with Moe Gundam

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

So I don't suppose anyone can give me a good setup for Seven that takes proper advantage of their insane speed while not making them look like the worst of Sailor Moon spliced with Moe Gundam

Use Speed 4 instead of Speed 5 body armor. It still has the gem (and curiously enough, the gem's just as beefy), which is the important part. More importantly, it's got a different design from Speed 5 and most of the other Speed armors, and it's not painfully awkward to look at. (Only mildly awkward.)

In general, when choosing armor, you'll have lots of options that are sufficiently good for defense (this is largely due to min/maxing defense stats not being a super important thing to do). So with the exception of Speed 4/5 armor and Glory Gauntlets and their Haste +45% weapon gems in an armor slot, you should really just dress your characters for appearances.

Although in Seven's case, there's also the foot slot to be mindful of. That one basically boils down to a tradeoff between a gem slot and a better talent art (since Sedna - and Sword X, by extension - has no gem slot).

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Konstantin posted:

Also, how come the Nopon in Satori Marsh had the party do a complicated ritual and go through the Bonis's digestive system? They had to have another way to get from their village to the marsh, they couldn't have taken the Armu down that sheer wall near the statues even if they somehow opened the door. They must be real assholes.

Nopon can fly, and there are flying craft in posession of every major faction and the nopon do have good relations with the high entia. Same story for the lower town, you can just fly. The only reason nobody does is because Dickson wants to help keep it a secret, and Dunban gets mad at him momentarily because of it.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

I'm very late-game.
Seven: Level 96
Weapon: Dystopia, 3-slotted with HP Steal III (don't have anything better to get in there yet), Double Attack VI (max at 50%), Haste VI (max at 50%)
Head: Ether V Goggles (unique with Debuff Resist VI 75%)
Torso: Attack V Frame (slotted with Agility Up VI max at 50%)
Gloves: Attack V Arms (slotted with HP Up VI at 43%)
Pants: Attack V Booster (slotted with Ether Up VI at 100)
Boots: Sedna Drones (no slots)

Stats end up being:
8990 HP
874-1074 auto-attack
594 Str
567 Eth
117 Agil
889 PhysD
638 EthD
21% Crit
0% Block

I'd like to get a better weapon gem than HP Steal, but didn't find one that really fit well. Maybe a Break gem to take advantage of the fast attacks. I like the Sedna drones since I like the Sword talent and they have great defense stats, but the Loki drones (cannon) are nearly as good and have a slot.
The Speed V Frame for the torso is unique in that it has a Haste gem slotted (normally a weapon-only gem), so you could squeeze in another Weapon gem, but it's not maxed out. Plus, it's an rear end crack costume.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

There are a number of standout weapon gems when it comes to physical DPS:

- Attack Stability
--- NB: max weapon damage is actually min(max weapon damage, min weapon damage +99)
- Haste
- Critical Up
- Phys Def Down
- Double Attack
- Back Attack Plus
- Night Vision (superbosses only)
- Topple Plus (if topple-locking)
- Topple Up (if topple-locking)

Not an exhaustive list. There are other interesting weapon-only gems too, and even more if we expand into roles other than physical DPS. My main point is that there's quite a few really good things you can use.

Here's the important note about haste, though: it's true that by using an actual weapon gem slot on haste, you get +50%, compared to the subpar +45% from Speed 4/5 armor (and let me reiterate: you can use Speed 4 for a way less basement-goon-fantasy look than Speed 5, but the same gem at the same effectiveness) or Glory Gauntlets. However, that also means you only get your choice of three of the above effects: one for each weapon slot.

If you use an armor slot for haste though, you get your choice of four of them (with haste being a little weaker than it would otherwise be), and the addition of the fourth effect counts for a hell of a lot more than that last 5% haste does. You're generally much less pressed for armor slots than you are for weapon slots.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I got distracted after unshackling the monado, can someone explain a plot point to me: why is her brother the emperor now I thought Melia got blessed for it? The emperor's dying breath was "hey be the empress thanks" and the half-brother didn't even seem like he cared one way or the other so why am I at his beck and call in this next cutscene?

ughhhhhh GODDDDDDD why is she ditching me? I need two ladies in my party to get this loving "girls can't be friends" quest off my list god drat it you aren't even empress why the gently caress is she ditching me this is such bullshit.

wait I am confused now he's on his knee calling her the empress and there's another princcess amidala I don't understand the entire last ten minutes but I guess Never Mind?

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jun 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Krinkle posted:

I got distracted after unshackling the monado, can someone explain a plot point to me: why is her brother the emperor now I thought Melia got blessed for it? The emperor's dying breath was "hey be the empress thanks" and the half-brother didn't even seem like he cared one way or the other so why am I at his beck and call in this next cutscene?

ughhhhhh GODDDDDDD why is she ditching me? I need two ladies in my party to get this loving "girls can't be friends" quest off my list god drat it you aren't even empress why the gently caress is she ditching me this is such bullshit.

wait I am confused now he's on his knee calling her the empress and there's another princcess amidala I don't understand the entire last ten minutes but I guess Never Mind?

Ok, if I remember right:
He's the acting ruler of Alcamoth because she was going to be sent out as an Ambassador to the Homs and Nopon so they could all band together and fight the Mechon. Wait, maybe it was because she hasn't had her formal coronation yet? Something like that, anyway.

The masked body double is there so Melia can go off with Shulk and friends without anyone wondering where she went.

• Locked thread